F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Refilling 6 Speed Transmission With D4 ATF
Studio RSR

09-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
BM_Dubya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Refilling 6 Speed Transmission With D4 ATF

I was planning on replacing the transmission fluid soon in my 6 speed manual and I heard from the e46 guys that redline D4-ATF is a good option.

Car currently has ~50k miles on it and I am planning on keeping it well past 100k. Would this have any long term effects on the gears, synchros, or clutch? Should I just go with Redline MTF?
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 04:02 AM   #2
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM_Dubya View Post
I was planning on replacing the transmission fluid soon in my 6 speed manual and I heard from the e46 guys that redline D4-ATF is a good option.

Car currently has ~50k miles on it and I am planning on keeping it well past 100k. Would this have any long term effects on the gears, synchros, or clutch? Should I just go with Redline MTF?
I don't have a manual, but why not just go with whatever BMW recommends? Or at least an OE spec alternative. Something about putting ATF in a MT sounds weird to me...like, why? Also, bear in mind, you're going by suggestions for cars that are over 12 years and 2 generations old. Maybe MT technology hasn't changed much, but I'd be looking for more contemporary recommendations.
      09-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:

I used the D4 in my F22 228i 6MT at 60k. I went that route after talking to Chad Morehead from MSW. He's the man when it comes to the SPEC E46 cars. Shifted as smooth as new when I bought it. I traded it with almost 100k on the clock without a single missed shift or the notching shift feel that would sometimes happen, especially when the car wasn't warmed up yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Quote:

NO! ATF is for automatic transmissions. I changed my transmission fluid on my 335i last year at around 35k miles (it's a 2013). Used the original BMW manual transmission fluid. It is only around $35 per bottle and you need about two. Very happy with the result. No problems for the past year.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post
NO! ATF is for automatic transmissions. I changed my transmission fluid on my 335i last year at around 35k miles (it's a 2013). Used the original BMW manual transmission fluid. It is only around $35 per bottle and you need about two. Very happy with the result. No problems for the past year.
Out of curiosity, how difficult was the process and did you have to keep an eye on the fluid temps? If you can post the instructions, that'd be great.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how difficult was the process and did you have to keep an eye on the fluid temps? If you can post the instructions, that'd be great.
This is very easy (especially compared to ATs). Just follow the Bentley manual for torque specs. The type of fluid needed is on the transmission (lt3 or 5). It takes around 1.5 liters. Make sure you open the fill plug on the side of the transmission first to make sure you can fill it after you drain. You need a fluid transfer pump (cheap one from Harbor Freight will do) and you just pump in the new fluid till it overflows. No specific temperatures needed, just drive it a little bit to warm up the oil so it drains better. Make sure the car is level on four jack stands or a lift. I send my old oil to Blackstone for analysis since these f30 MTs can fail do to weak synchromesh issues. This would show in the oil through excessive metal shavings.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Quote:
This is very easy (especially compared to ATs). Just follow the Bentley manual for torque specs. The type of fluid needed is on the transmission (lt3 or 5). It takes around 1.5 liters. Make sure you open the fill plug on the side of the transmission first to make sure you can fill it after you drain. You need a fluid transfer pump (cheap one from Harbor Freight will do) and you just pump in the new fluid till it overflows. No specific temperatures needed, just drive it a little bit to warm up the oil so it drains better. Make sure the car is level on four jack stands or a lift. I send my old oil to Blackstone for analysis since these f30 MTs can fail do to weak synchromesh issues. This would show in the oil through excessive metal shavings.
I also sent mine to Blackstone and the stock oil after 60k miles looked VERY good according to them. Even still it shifted much better with fresh fluid.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #8
JimKden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi

DCT fluid for BMW
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ullDescription
Appreciate 0