F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
GetBMWParts

05-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #1453
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Why is it over 4 years later and still 90%?
It's more like 190% now since we now have ID5 almost at 100%

Yes, 1lyfe needs to change the title as that was my car several years back.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2374.00
      05-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #1454
Jadamczyk22
Rep
Drives: 12 f30 328

Has anybody tried an NBT retrofit in a car that already has the widescreen CIC? Does it just require a head unit and idrive controller replacement? Or is there more work to it
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #1455
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadamczyk22 View Post
Has anybody tried an NBT retrofit in a car that already has the widescreen CIC? Does it just require a head unit and idrive controller replacement? Or is there more work to it
I would think you would want updated controller with touchpad.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #1456
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadamczyk22 View Post
The beginning of the thread also shows you the steps involved in upgrading from CIC to NBT.

But yes, you can keep the CIC screen for NBT but you will need to rewire the USB, Amp, Bluetooth and Microphone.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #1457
blackabass
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 320d MSport

Help with Retrofit 2016 NBT EVO HU on my 2013 F30

Hello, Bimmer Users.

I just got the NBT EVO HU from a BMW breaker. It was removed from a 2016 F30.

My F30 is late 2013 and has the business nav and I'll like to retrofit the NBT EVO HU on it

I managed fixed the 2016 idrive touch controller to my F30 but no touch just knob control.

MY QUESTION
  1. What part do I need to buy to complete the retrofit successfully without damaging any unit
  2. Must I use an emulator or can it be coded
  3. If coding is possible or required, can it be done remotely?
  4. Is there any one in West Midlands UK that can help with coding if it cannot be done remotely
  5. Is there any one in West Midlands UK that can help with fitting for an affordable amount if I cannot do this.

Pictures of my OLD unit + NBT EVO below.

My VIN is WBA3D32090J384786

Your response is appreciated.

Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #1458
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackabass View Post
Hello, Bimmer Users.

My F30 is late 2013 and has the business nav and I'll like to retrofit the NBT EVO HU on it

I managed fixed the 2016 idrive touch controller to my F30 but no touch just knob control.

MY QUESTION
  1. What part do I need to buy to complete the retrofit successfully without damaging any unit
  4. Is there any one in West Midlands UK that can help with coding if it cannot be done remotely
  5. Is there any one in West Midlands UK that can help with fitting for an affordable amount if I cannot do this.

Cheers.
This is a European NBT2 EVO ID5 Head Unit without GPS, as it is designed to get GPS Data via the OABR port from ATM Module. As such, you will need Emulator from Custom Retrofit, which besides providing FSC Code Activation, also emulates ATM by providing data (GPS, gyro, clock, etc.) to Head Unit.

So, you will need both Emulator and a bunch of Coding to convert car from CHAMP2 to EVO head Unit.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #1459
blackabass
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
This is a European NBT2 EVO ID5 Head Unit without GPS, as it is designed to get GPS Data via the OABR port from ATM Module. As such, you will need Emulator from Custom Retrofit, which besides providing FSC Code Activation, also emulates ATM by providing data (GPS, gyro, clock, etc.) to Head Unit.

So, you will need both Emulator and a bunch of Coding to convert car from CHAMP2 to EVO head Unit.
Cheers, Shawn.

Looks like I'll have to look for some one local to help with this retrofit + coding except I can get the kits and links to order online.

If its too complex I might just go for an older version for the ease of retrofit?

do you have part numbers or links to where I can buy the emulator kit to get them connected?

Is there any major downside to retrofitting the NBT2 on my F30?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #1460
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Cheers, Shawn.

Looks like I'll have to look for some one local to help with this retrofit + coding except I can get the kits and links to order online.

If its too complex I might just go for an older version for the ease of retrofit?

do you have part numbers or links to where I can buy the emulator kit to get them connected?

Is there any major downside to retrofitting the NBT2 on my F30?

Cheers
I have PM'd you source for Retrofit.

NBT rather than NBT2 EVO would be easier as it has GPS connector. If car has TCB module, your Telematics will continue to work, but if car has Combox for Telematics, you will not have functional Telematics with NBT either.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #1461
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Whatever you do, DO NOT connect that head unit to the car without an emulator otherwise you will end up with a bricked head unit.

If you already did and it says "No Signal" on the screen, it will be very difficult to get it out of lock down mode. It's happened on ours a few times and in some cases, it will be irreversible.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #1462
rkspeck33
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi - F32

Can any tell me he part number for the Screen connector wire to the box? Usually a purple/pink color on the units, but sometimes the wire connectors come in green. The two top pins broke, and now I cannot get power/info to the screen. Need a new wire and not 100% sure what to buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #1463
OleX
Rep
Drives: Z3

Hi,

I am also planning to change the Champ2 Navi Business to a NBT EVO on my 2013 F31.
Unfortunately I have a combox, so what I understood from all These threads on here, this will be some wiring work needed. There are just emergency call and teleservice, no CD Services, so I think this will be OK.

I plan to go for a FSC set.

What I am struggeling with is the correct Hardware. I really want to have the new ID5/ID6. Since I don't have a TCB or ATM I will Need a head unit with internal GPS correct? Is the ATM or an emulator needed even if I use Hardware with internal GPS?

I have seen HW2.3 B140 with GPS and HW3.1 from G30/G11 with GPS. What will be the best one for me? Perfect would be Hardware with 4GB Ram.

Is HW2.3 also available with ID5, perhaps B240 versions?

Hope you could help me with this.

Regards, Sven
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #1464
steve_jones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320 Msport

Hi all quick question I considering doing the upgrade to NBT Nav,

I have Business Nav currently along with a Combox and HK Sound system

I understand I have to isolate out the combox and install new antenna for GPS and blutooth etc..

Does anything special need to happen to make the HK system work after the conversion either coding or remote activation wires for the amp ?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #1465
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_jones View Post
Hi all quick question I considering doing the upgrade to NBT Nav,

I have Business Nav currently along with a Combox and HK Sound system

I understand I have to isolate out the combox and install new antenna for GPS and blutooth etc..

Does anything special need to happen to make the HK system work after the conversion either coding or remote activation wires for the amp ?

Many thanks

If the donor vehicle had stereo or Hi-Fi, you will need the NBT HU coded to use HK as the signal routing is different on these sound systems.

For Bluetooth and USB, you will need to reroute the existing cables and antennas from the combox back over to the HU. We usually provide new ones to our customers so there is no need to tear up the carpeting or removing your seats. You're also going to need to run a new mic cable directly to quad lock for the Bluetooth Phone and voice control to work. The combox will either need to be coded out or you can use a most loop closing ring to terminate the combox.

Also for HK, if you're using an emulator, don't forget to move the most optical cable from your existing quad lock connector over to the emulator otherwise there will be no sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #1466
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleX View Post
Hi,

I am also planning to change the Champ2 Navi Business to a NBT EVO on my 2013 F31.
Unfortunately I have a combox, so what I understood from all These threads on here, this will be some wiring work needed. There are just emergency call and teleservice, no CD Services, so I think this will be OK.

I plan to go for a FSC set.

What I am struggeling with is the correct Hardware. I really want to have the new ID5/ID6. Since I don't have a TCB or ATM I will Need a head unit with internal GPS correct? Is the ATM or an emulator needed even if I use Hardware with internal GPS?

I have seen HW2.3 B140 with GPS and HW3.1 from G30/G11 with GPS. What will be the best one for me? Perfect would be Hardware with 4GB Ram.

Is HW2.3 also available with ID5, perhaps B240 versions?

Hope you could help me with this.

Regards, Sven
Yes, my M235i is currently using a HW2.3 from a 2017 X3 28i salvage. Keep in mind that my vehicle already has ATM so there is no need a for a GPS receiver.

If you can get hold of the G30 unit with GPS I would say that's your best bet.

Please check my previous post in regards to the combox.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #1467
blackabass
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hello, Bimmer Users.

MY QUESTION

Cheers.
All done with help of germaniks
http://www.germaniks.com/

My 2013 F30 is taking a new shape one step at a time. Next is to complete the reverse camera, adaptive LED, and 6WA Cluster ...
See pictures below.

I had to do the following
  1. New harness for the NBT HU
  2. Get an ATM Emulator
  3. An FM splitter for better DAB signal
  4. Rewire both mics to the new harness
  5. Write module for the iDrive touch controller
  6. Disable the combox in trunk
  7. Loop the fiber optic cable
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 02:15 AM   #1468
steve_jones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320 Msport

Quote:
All done with help of germaniks
http://www.germaniks.com/

My 2013 F30 is taking a new shape one step at a time. Next is to complete the reverse camera, adaptive LED, and 6WA Cluster ...
See pictures below.

I had to do the following
  1. New harness for the NBT HU
  2. Get an ATM Emulator
  3. An FM splitter for better DAB signal
  4. Rewire both mics to the new harness
  5. Write module for the iDrive touch controller
  6. Disable the combox in trunk
  7. Loop the fiber optic cable

Great job I'm considering the same myself couple of questions

What emulator module did you use ?
Did you use the original mics or just run new ones ?
Is your com box totally disabled now ?
Did you use existing gps and Bluetooth or run new ones ?
What coding was required did you do it ?
Many thanks

Steve
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 04:18 AM   #1469
blackabass
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_jones View Post
Great job I'm considering the same myself couple of questions

What emulator module did you use ?
Did you use the original mics or just run new ones ?
Is your com box totally disabled now ?
Did you use existing gps and Bluetooth or run new ones ?
What coding was required did you do it ?
Many thanks

Steve
Thanks Steve - see my response below.
  • The Emulator is called ATM emulator, it's the black box behind the HU in the pictures I uploaded. I can pm you the email of the contact I got it from.
  • I used original mic but I had to run new wires direct to my new HU and then connect it to both mics
  • Yes combox is completely disabled
  • ATM emulator is now the new GPS system and I connected a Bluetooth and WLAN adapter to the new HU unit
  • I did not bother with the coding so I don't screw things up, Germanics helped me with the coding, he is an expert in BMW retro and coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #1470
skyactiv0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i XDrive

Quote:
Thanks Steve - see my response below.
  • The Emulator is called ATM emulator, it's the black box behind the HU in the pictures I uploaded. I can pm you the email of the contact I got it from.
  • I used original mic but I had to run new wires direct to my new HU and then connect it to both mics
  • Yes combox is completely disabled
  • ATM emulator is now the new GPS system and I connected a Bluetooth and WLAN adapter to the new HU unit
  • I did not bother with the coding so I don't screw things up, Germanics helped me with the coding, he is an expert in BMW retro and coding.
Out of curiosity, what guide did you use to terminate the combox?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #1471
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyactiv0 View Post
Out of curiosity, what guide did you use to terminate the combox?
You can either use a most loop adapter to close the loop after pulling the plug on the combox or you can keep the combox plugged in but disable BT and USB via coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #1472
skyactiv0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
You can either use a most loop adapter to close the loop after pulling the plug on the combox or you can keep the combox plugged in but disable BT and USB via coding.
Thank you Steve, just the answer I was looking for!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #1473
danitrescan
Spain
Rep
Drives: f32 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Hi steve.
Can you confirm this steep to deactivate combox?

BT_EIN_AUS nitch_activ
A2DP_AVRCP_EIN_AUS nitch_activ
HANDSFREE_SECONDARY nitch_activ
VCARD_OVER_MOST nitch_activ
API_EIN_AUS nitch_activ
USB_HUB nitch_activ
API_TWO_USB nitch_activ
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #1474
Jtara
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320D F30

Just wondering if someone could give me a little help. Ive just purchased a used 2012 320D with nav, bluetooth and the usb port but it doesnt do Bluetooth audio streaming, just the basic bluetooth. I have done a vincheck and it decodes to say i have;

S606A Navigation system Business
S6NHA Hands-free with USB interface

I dont have possession of the vehicle yet so cant check if it has a combo box installed, would I be able to do the EBT? Can someone PM me or give me a rundown.
Appreciate 0