F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Nightmare situation
ARMA SPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-08-2021, 01:31 AM   #67
Slacky
First Lieutenant
48
Rep
300
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Nottingham

iTrader: (0)

I had the tyres changed yesterday and its made such a difference. I can't comment on non star rated tyres but having the correct size has made a massive difference. The drive is alot smoother and seems to put the power down very well no juddering at low speeds or traction control kicking in.

Now because it's a 4 wheel drive do I need to get 4 wheel alignment done? The previous front tyres was wearing unevenly
Appreciate 2
Ennoch850.00
      12-08-2021, 01:39 AM   #68
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
kzg1969's Avatar
Scotland
878
Rep
1,571
Posts

Drives: X3M Comp / Focus RS
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: AberFreeze

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacky View Post
I had the tyres changed yesterday and its made such a difference. I can't comment on non star rated tyres but having the correct size has made a massive difference. The drive is alot smoother and seems to put the power down very well no juddering at low speeds or traction control kicking in.

Now because it's a 4 wheel drive do I need to get 4 wheel alignment done? The previous front tyres was wearing unevenly
Result!

as for alignment, if the suspension arms have been off and considering the uneven wear on last set, I would be getting it done. The 100 or so cost would be re-couped on longer tire life.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #69
Ennoch
Major
850
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacky View Post
I had the tyres changed yesterday and its made such a difference. I can't comment on non star rated tyres but having the correct size has made a massive difference. The drive is alot smoother and seems to put the power down very well no juddering at low speeds or traction control kicking in.

Now because it's a 4 wheel drive do I need to get 4 wheel alignment done? The previous front tyres was wearing unevenly
When you say wearing unevenly, is it the inside edge or the outside edge which was most worn? If they were both wearing similarly, i.e both front outside edges, then I wouldn't be unduly concerned as run flats do seem to have issues with this. My RFT's were wearing oddly but both my winter set and my new PS4S set (which have done a good few k and been driven hard in that time) are all wearing perfectly evenly.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 04:21 AM   #70
KCH1984
Major
536
Rep
1,161
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 40d
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacky View Post
I had the tyres changed yesterday and its made such a difference. I can't comment on non star rated tyres but having the correct size has made a massive difference. The drive is alot smoother and seems to put the power down very well no juddering at low speeds or traction control kicking in.

Now because it's a 4 wheel drive do I need to get 4 wheel alignment done? The previous front tyres was wearing unevenly
What rubber did you go for in the end then?
__________________
Incoming: G05 X5 40d M Sport
Going: F15 X5 30d M Sport
Gone: F30 330d xDrive, F21 M135i, E87 123d
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 05:15 PM   #71
Slacky
First Lieutenant
48
Rep
300
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Nottingham

iTrader: (0)

I went with pirelli p zero pz4 in the end. According to the bmw health check the fronts was 3mm on the outer, 5mm in the centre and 2mm on the inner. the backs was 5mm across all the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #72
Ennoch
Major
850
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Doesn't sound anything particularly concerning given the tyres were the wrong size on the front. Keep an eye on them and shove the gauge in now across the tread, and then after 3k. If there's a noticeable movement in one area and not in another then get the tracking done, otherwise I'd just leave it alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 05:05 AM   #73
JNW1
Major General
2467
Rep
5,076
Posts

Drives: G21 M340i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacky View Post
Now because it's a 4 wheel drive do I need to get 4 wheel alignment done? The previous front tyres was wearing unevenly
You don't need it just because it's 4WD - a 2WD car would also benefit from a full alignment check and reset if things aren't tracking straight - but if you've got a known issue with the tyres wearing unevenly personally I'd say get it done. I'm guessing a full set of Pirellis will have cost over 500 so why risk them wearing unevenly (and perhaps prematurely) for the sake of 70 to 80 for a full alignment check/reset?

I suppose you could just do the fronts if there doesn't appear to be problem with the rears but you're probably only looking at another 20 for a 4 wheel alignment over and above the cost of just doing the fronts only - peanuts in the context of a full set of tyres IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 05:25 AM   #74
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
168
Rep
417
Posts

Drives: BMW 320d GT
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Wales

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacky View Post
I went with pirelli p zero pz4 in the end. According to the bmw health check the fronts was 3mm on the outer, 5mm in the centre and 2mm on the inner. the backs was 5mm across all the tyre.
That type of wear pattern can be an indication of under-inflation.

The issue is you won't know if the previous owner was running the pressures below or equal to the rated amount so you won't know what pressure is required.

I'd run the rated pressure and keep a close eye on it and adjust where required.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 07:35 AM   #75
Ennoch
Major
850
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XDrive
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-GT View Post
That type of wear pattern can be an indication of under-inflation.

The issue is you won't know if the previous owner was running the pressures below or equal to the rated amount so you won't know what pressure is required.

I'd run the rated pressure and keep a close eye on it and adjust where required.
Yup, this. If the wheel's dead centre when you're driving in a straight line then the tracking will be basically as it was last set, and unless you're taking it a decent place there is a high likelihood you'll end up with it in a worse state than you took it in. Seen that many, many times. If it's wearing on both the inner and outer edges then it's likely to be inflation and/or the wrong tyres fitted. Let's be honest, if someone fits a different size just to be cheap are they really going to be keeping an eye on pressures until the pressure sensors tell them to stick some air in?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #76
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
168
Rep
417
Posts

Drives: BMW 320d GT
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Wales

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-GT View Post
That type of wear pattern can be an indication of under-inflation.

The issue is you won't know if the previous owner was running the pressures below or equal to the rated amount so you won't know what pressure is required.

I'd run the rated pressure and keep a close eye on it and adjust where required.
Yup, this. If the wheel's dead centre when you're driving in a straight line then the tracking will be basically as it was last set, and unless you're taking it a decent place there is a high likelihood you'll end up with it in a worse state than you took it in. Seen that many, many times. If it's wearing on both the inner and outer edges then it's likely to be inflation and/or the wrong tyres fitted. Let's be honest, if someone fits a different size just to be cheap are they really going to be keeping an eye on pressures until the pressure sensors tell them to stick some air in?
Yes, the fact that they were running the wrong tyre size is the reason for the under inflation wear.

They've probably been running the rated amount written on the door but they weren't the tyres that was on the car.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST