F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Can we get rid of the 37 degree warning
GetBMWParts

01-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #23
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
It’s a Kimi paraphrase, cause you are Finnish. sorry you didn’t get the joke.

And you aren’t going to stop it because there is and never will be any off for it anywhere in the coding because bmw wants it on, all the time, all markets, all series, since at least the 1980s.
It has always been that way and will always be that way.

Again, if a single ping at the very start of your drive is some huge issue for you personally, and you just can’t get accustomed to it, there is always the option to buy a different make of car which will resolve your issue. So again, to be completely blunt and frank with you…
either deal with it, or buy something else to drive in winter... That’s your choice.

you can go buy an e34 or e36 and be able to unplug the chime FOR ALL WARNING SOUNDS.
It’s all or nothing on analog and no option at all on digital.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…

Last edited by Onizukachan; 01-23-2022 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #24
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
Found it.

Instrument Cluster > Expert Mode > 3000 > CC_TEMPERATURWARNUNG aktiv.

aktiv turns off the chime and message when starting the car. nicht aktiv enables the warning. It's reversed. Will still chime during a drive if temperature lowers past the threshold, but this will get rid of the initial gong.

Last edited by NxTH; 01-23-2022 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      01-23-2022, 03:15 PM   #25
celsdogg
E4 Mafia
Rep
Drives: E30, E36/5, E46, F22, F30

Garage List
1990 BMW 325i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 318ti  [0.00]
2003 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Onizukachan;28501243"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Th3Walrus;28481043"
This is my first car with this stupid warning.
BMW have had this at least going back 30+ years. My 92 e34/2 had it.
It's nice.

It only goes off when temp drops to 37 or less, so unless you have a day where it is 37.5 and varies back and forth it should only go off one time.
+1 for the old school. My E30 has it as well.

My mother's old 1997ish Chevrolet Astro Van had a warning, but at 32°.

Glad you guys found the right coding option tho.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2022, 08:03 PM   #26
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Glad you found something, but it sounds like it does the same as the old school, where it bongs if temp drops past 37 during the drive. Maybe it will he our Finnish comrade be less upset at his car though for telling him it’s cold outside.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 11:03 AM   #27
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
BMW have had this at least going back 30+ years. My 92 e34/2 had it.
It’s nice.

It only goes off when temp drops to 37 or less, so unless you have a day where it is 37.5 and varies back and forth it should only go off one time.
Why is it nice? Don't you know when it's cold outside? It's the same exact sound that tells you you need to go in for service, you have a fault (eg, check engine) or you have to go buy fuel. And again, I KNEW it was cold outside bc we all evolved to sense temperature. We understand the prevailing climates we live in. We can look up the forecast for where we're headed. We have weather apps, TV news, temp displays on our dash, etc.

Seriously, I have never (and I do literally mean never) gotten in a car without knowing what kind of weather conditions I might encounter along the way. I've been driving for 35 years and I've lived in Colorado, near Tahoe, and in TX. I mention TX because those people are not snow/ice pros but I was there during their 2 biggest snow/ice storms in the last 40 years. Recently, I called off a trip to LA bc we had huge rain storms and I knew in early Jan that would mean snow/ice over the Grapevine. I could have taken 101 instead of the 5 but that would have added hours to the trip and every one of those hours would have been in a downpour.

Point being, who the heck is just getting in their car and waiting for a chime to tell them what's happening? Let's say it was a trip I couldn't cancel. I still knew before the trip began what I would probably see along the way.

I'm googling for a way to disable it and found a lot of BMW guys saying it's been around for a long time. On a forum I don't have an account on, one guy said "they've been on cars for 25 years." Well, not all cars. This is my first to have it. Then I started to wonder if maybe my cars did have it and it just wasn't cold enough to trigger it while I owned them. I didn't check every car I've owned during that time but Porsches and Audis are also German, expensive, luxury. I've owned 3 new Porsches and 1 Audi since 2000. I found a post where a BMW owner is complaining about how he switched to Porsche and can't believe his expensive high tech car doesn't have the warning. I also found a tech article on Audi that says they have a snowflake symbol when the temp is low but no mention of a ding. I certainly don't remember my Audi ever dinging and I definitely drove that car in many snow storms.

FWIW, I hate alerts. I keep texts and emails on silent. I'll see my messages the next time I'm interested in looking at my phone.
Appreciate 1
Jvac432.00
      01-18-2023, 05:03 PM   #28
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwspice View Post
Why is it nice? Don't you know when it's cold outside? It's the same exact sound that tells you you need to go in for service, you have a fault (eg, check engine) or you have to go buy fuel. And again, I KNEW it was cold outside bc we all evolved to sense temperature. We understand the prevailing climates we live in. We can look up the forecast for where we're headed. We have weather apps, TV news, temp displays on our dash, etc.

Seriously, I have never (and I do literally mean never) gotten in a car without knowing what kind of weather conditions I might encounter along the way. I've been driving for 35 years and I've lived in Colorado, near Tahoe, and in TX. I mention TX because those people are not snow/ice pros but I was there during their 2 biggest snow/ice storms in the last 40 years. Recently, I called off a trip to LA bc we had huge rain storms and I knew in early Jan that would mean snow/ice over the Grapevine. I could have taken 101 instead of the 5 but that would have added hours to the trip and every one of those hours would have been in a downpour.

Point being, who the heck is just getting in their car and waiting for a chime to tell them what's happening? Let's say it was a trip I couldn't cancel. I still knew before the trip began what I would probably see along the way.

I'm googling for a way to disable it and found a lot of BMW guys saying it's been around for a long time. On a forum I don't have an account on, one guy said "they've been on cars for 25 years." Well, not all cars. This is my first to have it. Then I started to wonder if maybe my cars did have it and it just wasn't cold enough to trigger it while I owned them. I didn't check every car I've owned during that time but Porsches and Audis are also German, expensive, luxury. I've owned 3 new Porsches and 1 Audi since 2000. I found a post where a BMW owner is complaining about how he switched to Porsche and can't believe his expensive high tech car doesn't have the warning. I also found a tech article on Audi that says they have a snowflake symbol when the temp is low but no mention of a ding. I certainly don't remember my Audi ever dinging and I definitely drove that car in many snow storms.

FWIW, I hate alerts. I keep texts and emails on silent. I'll see my messages the next time I'm interested in looking at my phone.
If you know how to code, I posted a solution on reply #24 despite being told it can't be done at all. Has been a real blessing once I got it switched off for when the car starts. It still goes off while driving, but to me it was more important to disable the chime when starting the car, because that's usually when faults occur most of the time. I even forgot it was a thing.

Since you're asking; Not to go on about beating a dead horse here, but some people just think because it works for them, it should work for everyone regardless if they live in an area where the alert can pop up five times an hour when temperature changes around +3 celsius. Instead of having an open mind and trying to understand that people come from all kind of different scenarios and conditions, I suppose it's easier to ridicule them and make pointless remarks.

The feature is akin to your passenger going "BONG!" on your ear every half an hour for no reason. Great feature. The chime actually makes you look what's wrong, taking your eyes off the road especially if you don't have HUD. The feature would make sense if you lived somewhere where it snowed once every 10 years and you had no idea how cold weather worked. Even then, it should be an option in iDrive that you can turn off and on. It would still make sense if it chimed a few times during some odd months per winter, for those few times it would be a good reason to warn the driver if it's a rare occurrence in their area or country. This is completely dependant on where you live. Northern countries are the last place where a chime like this would need to exist, but people can be very close minded about other countries conditions, or just not educated enough.

The temperature warning is a needless distraction to everyone who has completed driving school and learned about different conditions on the road and how it might affect the journey. This is in the same vain as saying the cold/warm manual air adjuster override has been on the dash forever. Yes it has, and why the hell has it? It creates more problems for users than it solves.

Last edited by NxTH; 01-18-2023 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 07:23 PM   #29
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Rant and rant all you want. That’s all part of bmw ownership along with dash vent temp control, crayon smell and 605nm lighting. If it drives you crazy, sell it and don’t buy another one. I like it, I think it is clever and I like that they still have it and use it 40+ years later. It’s tradition.

But what I can tell you is this, posting your opinion on some random webpage on the internet isn’t going to do a damn thing to change it. Put on your big boy pants and either solve the issue yourself, or learn to relax and enjoy it.

A few OEM+ mods:
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 10:06 PM   #30
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

All that 605nm lighting is oogly. I replaced my ambient lighting with beautiful blue LEDs.

I live in Florida and that temperature gong went off for the first time 2 days ago. Enough that I'm going to disable it. Thanks to the person that found the coding section.
Appreciate 1
NxTH201.00
      01-19-2023, 07:17 AM   #31
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwspice View Post
Why is it nice? Don't you know when it's cold outside? It's the same exact sound that tells you you need to go in for service, you have a fault (eg, check engine) or you have to go buy fuel. And again, I KNEW it was cold outside bc we all evolved to sense temperature. We understand the prevailing climates we live in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico- View Post
The feature would make sense if you lived somewhere where it snowed once every 10 years and you had no idea how cold weather worked. Even then, it should be an option in iDrive that you can turn off and on. It would still make sense if it chimed a few times during some odd months per winter, for those few times it would be a good reason to warn the driver if it's a rare occurrence in their area or country. This is completely dependant on where you live. Northern countries are the last place where a chime like this would need to exist
Maybe it is the following you had in mind, but it came out wrong and I disagree with the above:

Very northern country here, just west of Finland. And yes - I am also not a fan of the chime every time I start the vehicle in the winter. HOWEVER - it's primary application is not seasonal and not regional! The biggest risk is that, unless you live in a flat country like the Netherlands or Denmark, on a longer trip you will change altitude many times and go through so many micro-climate areas, that you, in the warmth and comfort of the driver's seat, will be completely oblivious about conditions quickly becoming icy and dangerous!! This has nothing to do with the climate at where you live and started your journey or how much of an experienced driver you are! The icing alert is extremely useful during a trip, IMO!!

This said, as mentioned, I also don't see the particular value of a GONG every time I start the vehicle... My Audi does not do that - it does show a visual indication with a snowflake on the dash, so you can't really miss it when you start the engine, but there is no aural warning, UNLESS you cross the threshold from a warmer zone into icing condition (primary dormant risk). In that case you get an audio alert in addition to the visual, to make you aware conditions have changed!

So, if your suggested coding only gets rid of the initial aural warning at startup but does not interfere with the warning during a trip, as you stated in the coding post - I'd be willing to give it a shot? How is the temp displayed on the dash after the coding? Any visual indication it is within icing range when you start the car?

Last edited by Skyhigh; 01-19-2023 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 07:30 AM   #32
zrile
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Where have you been for the last 25-years or so?
Probably in narnia! 🤣
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 09:27 AM   #33
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Maybe it is the following you had in mind, but it came out wrong and I disagree with the above:

Very northern country here, just west of Finland. And yes - I am also not a fan of the chime every time I start the vehicle in the winter. HOWEVER - it's primary application is not seasonal and not regional! The biggest risk is that, unless you live in a flat country like the Netherlands or Denmark, on a longer trip you will change altitude many times and go through so many micro-climate areas, that you, in the warmth and comfort of the driver's seat, will be completely oblivious about conditions quickly becoming icy and dangerous!! This has nothing to do with the climate at where you live and started your journey or how much of an experienced driver you are! The icing alert is extremely useful during a trip, IMO!!

This said, as mentioned, I also don't see the particular value of a GONG every time I start the vehicle... My Audi does not do that - it does show a visual indication with a snowflake on the dash, so you can't really miss it when you start the engine, but there is no aural warning, UNLESS you cross the threshold from a warmer zone into icing condition (primary dormant risk). In that case you get an audio alert in addition to the visual, to make you aware conditions have changed!

So, if your suggested coding only gets rid of the initial aural warning at startup but does not interfere with the warning during a trip, as you stated in the coding post - I'd be willing to give it a shot? How is the temp displayed on the dash after the coding? Any visual indication it is within icing range when you start the car?
There's nothing if you code it out. No gong, no message. Doesn't affect anything else. No indication of freezing, you'll have to determine it yourself from the temperature. Only if during your drive it drops below 3.5c you'll get a gong with the usual message.

The feature can have its benefits for different drivers, but it doesn't remove the fact that it's very strange you can't turn it off or on yourself. Like I said, I was also more keen to remove the gong during startup. It's completely needless. That's 6 months of 'gonging' for every start during winter here.

My old Focus '06 has an orange snowflake, and a red snowflake on the dash, no aural warning.

Last edited by NxTH; 01-19-2023 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 04:46 PM   #34
dg02
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
Wait.. I just remembered. My first car had an ice warning light.

1988 Merkur XR4Ti (Ford Sierra over there).
It is rare to hear of someone else who had one of these. Had the same car, same year, picked it up used in the mid 90's. The ice warning light was just about the only thing that worked consistently on that car!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 06:58 AM   #35
farhad561
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97

My 2020 F97 had the following option in bimmercode that turned off the temperature warning completely but also the outside temperature sensor with it. It is now showing 59F permanently. Not sure if that's only gonna happen in Temps under 37F or at all temperatures from now on.

Here is what I did:
Instrument Cluster > Expert Mode > 3000 > TEMPERATURWARNUNG > nicht_aktiv

My Bimmercode did not have the CC_TEMPERATURWARNUNG option at all, but had the above setting instead.
Appreciate 0