F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stacking on top of MPPK?
proTUNING Freaks

02-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #45
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I hear ya man. I did the same thing honestly. It's a waste of money. Put it into suspension would be my advice.
I was actually just thinking about that, but to be honest, I would like a little more "get up and go"
      02-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #46
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeTE87 View Post
lol! Yeah I know!

I do plan on doing bootmod3 once my warranty is out but not right now.
Just for context, you don't immediately void your warranty by tuning the car. Its not like any and all warranty coverage goes out the window once you flash. The burden of proof is essentially on BMW to prove that the modification was responsible for the issue. I brought my car in with FBO + MHD + XHP for warranty work including the windshield cowl, oil pan gasket, belt tensioner, etc, and had zero issues getting it all covered at no charge. Of course, YMMV. Now if you blow your motor or have a powertrain/drivetrain issue then yeah, they will probably blame the tune.

Having said that i used to be just as paranoid as you about modifying my car at all while in warranty. Then i read what somewhat said along the lines of - if you modify your car while in warranty and something goes wrong, you at least have a chance of getting it covered. If you modify your car outside of warranty, there's no chance of it getting covered. So why wait? I started bolting on parts and tuning shortly after, lol.

Not trying to push you to do any mod you arent comfortable with, just providing perspective.
Appreciate 3
      02-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #47
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
Thank you Jeremyman9 for the input / perspective. You are right, I was thinking it voided my warranty as soon as I installed it and I knew better than that. I know its not an aggressive tune, but I don't want to give them that option to deny any warranty work. That's just my thoughts. I have modified my cars in the past without issues but never tuned them. Once again, I appreciate your input with all of this, which has helped.
      02-05-2021, 11:36 PM   #48
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
I hear ya man. I did the same thing honestly. It's a waste of money. Put it into suspension would be my advice.
I was actually just thinking about that, but to be honest, I would like a little more "get up and go"
I've got a 2015 435i with MPPK and M Performance exhaust. I also wanted a little more power but didn't want to overwrite the MPPK tune so I stacked a JB+ on top of it. That setup won't yield as much power as a flash tune like BM3 or MHD, but running at +3 psi over the MPPK where I have the JB+ set gives about an extra 25 hp and 35 lb-ft torque at the wheels. It's definitely noticeable and makes the car more fun to drive while keeping the smoothness of the MPPK tune. It's a great bang for the buck at $199. But to each their own. You just have to figure out what is best for you and go for it. Good news is that there are a lot of tuning options out there.
      02-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #49
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I've got a 2015 435i with MPPK and M Performance exhaust. I also wanted a little more power but didn't want to overwrite the MPPK tune so I stacked a JB+ on top of it. That setup won't yield as much power as a flash tune like BM3 or MHD, but running at +3 psi over the MPPK where I have the JB+ set gives about an extra 25 hp and 35 lb-ft torque at the wheels. It's definitely noticeable and makes the car more fun to drive while keeping the smoothness of the MPPK tune. It's a great bang for the buck at $199. But to each their own. You just have to figure out what is best for you and go for it. Good news is that there are a lot of tuning options out there.
I actually followed the same line of reasoning with my car as you did. Only I had read many negative things about the JB+ actually not being smooth. So I installed the JB Stage1 which in addition to adding 3-4 lbs of boost, also can adjust timing to maintain smoothness.

Eventually I upgraded to a BootMod3 Stage1 flash tune and it was like another world. It really is a smooth, powerful factory-like tune without touching any hardware. Knowing what I know now, I never would have done the JB hardware tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #50
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I actually followed the same line of reasoning with my car as you did. Only I had read many negative things about the JB+ actually not being smooth. So I installed the JB Stage1 which in addition to adding 3-4 lbs of boost, also can adjust timing to maintain smoothness.

Eventually I upgraded to a BootMod3 Stage1 flash tune and it was like another world. It really is a smooth, powerful factory-like tune without touching any hardware. Knowing what I know now, I never would have done the JB hardware tune.
Thanks for providing your thoughts. I am considering switching to Bootmod3 in the next couple years after I upgrade the intercooler and downpipe. The drivability with the JB+ wasn't impacted with it set at +2 psi so that's why I bumped it up to +3 psi. I originally set it at +4 psi and that was too much for me and did impact the smoothness.

Can you elaborate a little more on the improvement when you went from JB Stage 1 to Bootmod3 Stage 1? Did you get the Bootmod3 transmission too also? I'm curious as to how the Bootmod3 transmission tune changes the drivability of the car when switching from the MPPK tune.
      02-06-2021, 10:05 PM   #51
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for providing your thoughts. I am considering switching to Bootmod3 in the next couple years after I upgrade the intercooler and downpipe. The drivability with the JB+ wasn't impacted with it set at +2 psi so that's why I bumped it up to +3 psi. I originally set it at +4 psi and that was too much for me and did impact the smoothness.

Can you elaborate a little more on the improvement when you went from JB Stage 1 to Bootmod3 Stage 1? Did you get the Bootmod3 transmission too also? I'm curious as to how the Bootmod3 transmission tune changes the drivability of the car when switching from the MPPK tune.
the bm3 trans flash is included free with the license.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #52
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You do not need to upgrade the FMIC or downpipe to install BootMod3 Stage1. That's only for Stage2 (which isn't as big of a performance jump as Stage1) It is so much more power than a JB+ and it is smoother too. Just no comparison!

The automatic transmission flash comes with BM3, and is free. I was running the previous version of BootMod3 before they came out with the transmission flash. It tightens up the transmission to make it shift more efficiently. I also think that it eliminates some of the gas pedal delay which makes the car more responsive.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #53
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You do not need to upgrade the FMIC or downpipe to install BootMod3 Stage1. That's only for Stage2 (which isn't as big of a performance jump as Stage1) It is so much more power than a JB+ and it is smoother too. Just no comparison!

The automatic transmission flash comes with BM3, and is free. I was running the previous version of BootMod3 before they came out with the transmission flash. It tightens up the transmission to make it shift more efficiently. I also think that it eliminates some of the gas pedal delay which makes the car more responsive.
Thanks for the information. Does your car have the MPPK?
      02-07-2021, 11:12 PM   #54
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Blank

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes my car came with the MPPK tune
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 11:25 PM   #55
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. I've been wanting to hear someone's experience going from MPPK to Bootmod3 on the N55 platform.
johnung4525.00
      02-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #56
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
is BM3 stage 1 fine for daily use?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:30 PM   #57
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebaaron View Post
Quote:
is BM3 stage 1 fine for daily use?
Absolutely, I've been running BootMod3 on our daily driver that I share with my wife for over two years. It's a smooth powerful factory like tune. It's a great enhancement. You will really enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #58
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely, I've been running BootMod3 on our daily driver that I share with my wife for over two years. It's a smooth powerful factory like tune. It's a great enhancement. You will really enjoy it!
thx for the feedback, I'll do it as soon the warranty is over, the engine is new it's just been changed 😬
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      02-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #59
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebaaron View Post
thx for the feedback, I'll do it as soon the warranty is over, the engine is new it's just been changed 😬
That's a bit of a bombshell - engine changed under warranty? For what reason?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:18 PM   #60
lebaaron
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
That's a bit of a bombshell - engine changed under warranty? For what reason?
Well before buying it I brought it to the dealership for an inspection and they detected it was knocking at high rpm apparently so they decided to change it, always well serviced. The engine had 154k KM.

As for the warranty, it only covered a portion of it. Like 70% of the price needed to be covered by the previous owner :/
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #61
bobbykolev
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi

I have 435xi MPPK with DINAN stage 2 full bolt on. The dyno showed 382 hp to the crank but i dont like the power delivery. MHD/BM3 way better.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #62
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbykolev View Post
I have 435xi MPPK with DINAN stage 2 full bolt on. The dyno showed 382 hp to the crank but i dont like the power delivery. MHD/BM3 way better.
Are you still running the Dinan tune or have you switched to BM3 or MHD?
      02-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #63
bobbykolev
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Are you still running the Dinan tune or have you switched to BM3 or MHD?
I am going for custom tune. Few days ago we tried to set the car but we have issue with the hpfp and we cannot solve it.
About BM3 and MHD I know that both are very reliable but i have heard that BM3 has better power delivery. You could also go for a custom BM3 tune but still the available maps are enough for a daily driver.
In my case i just want little bit more power 430~ hp to the crank. I want to hit 0-100km under 3.8
And last but not least if you go for a piggyback go for JB4.
Appreciate 1
BMWApp224.00
      02-28-2021, 09:38 PM   #64
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am going for custom tune. Few days ago we tried to set the car but we have issue with the hpfp and we cannot solve it.
About BM3 and MHD I know that both are very reliable but i have heard that BM3 has better power delivery. You could also go for a custom BM3 tune but still the available maps are enough for a daily driver.
In my case i just want little bit more power 430~ hp to the crank. I want to hit 0-100km under 3.8
And last but not least if you go for a piggyback go for JB4.
The OTS maps would get you to about 430 crank and with a Xdrive you should be able to get a sub 4s 0-60 with LC.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 05:20 PM   #65
bobbykolev
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
The OTS maps would get you to about 430 crank and with a Xdrive you should be able to get a sub 4s 0-60 with LC.
Currently with the DINAN stage 2 and xHP stage 3 - 0-100 4.1X
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:17 PM   #66
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Currently with the DINAN stage 2 and xHP stage 3 - 0-100 4.1X
I get 4.0 0-60 based off my datalogs but thats +/- 0.12 because that's the time resolution of the datalog. I am RWD 8at with MHD stage 2+ E20 map and XHP stage 3. Not as accurate as a dragy but provides some context.
Appreciate 0