F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Comfortable UHP All-Season or Summer tires?
Studio RSR

02-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
2fast19
Rep
Drives: Prospective buyer

Comfortable UHP All-Season or Summer tires?

Hey folks! I'm hopeful that someone here with experience can provide some insight as I've been driving myself crazy researching tires and there may be a simple answer to what I'm looking for.

A few weeks ago I picked up a 2018 340i with a square 225 45R18 setup (Continental ContiProcontact SSR---AVOID AT ALL COSTS) and immediately noticed that the tire noise and ride quality of the run-flats was horrendous. Not only that, but they feel heavy as well and don't even offer the handling benefits that the stiffer sidewalls should (theoretically) provide...so it was then that I decided that despite having plenty of tread remaining, new tires would be a must.

Now I would say that my priorities go in this order, although dry handling and comfort are probably closer to a tie: 1) noise and comfort 2) handling and steering response 3) treadlife. I live in Florida so I don't need winter capabilities. I definitely want my new tires to be both quieter and smoother than the current Contis. I've looked at the Pirelli C7 Cinturato AS Plus II as these are supposedly extremely comfortable, but I worry that because they are Grand Touring they will feel heavy and unresponsive. I've also read that Summers are generally louder and firmer, so I'm thinking that Ultra High Performance AS tires are my best bet for a compromise between ride quality and sporty driving dynamics.

Does anyone here have any experience comparing Summer, UHP AS and GT tires that can help? Also, the Vredestein Hypertrac All Season look promising as a quiet UHP AS and I've heard they are quieter than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AS...has anyone purchased these? Thanks in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

consider increasing from 225/45/18 to 235/45/18(26.3"). 0.15" more sidewall will give a better ride, reduce the fenderwell gap by the same amount and of course, 10mm grip. here's two members of more than a few, that have done so...
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1634952&page=2

imo, omit the GT tire choice. in 235/45/18, for the best ride i'd opt for continental extremecontact dws06(non plus). however i believe the michelin's pilot sport all season 4 and even the pilot sport 4S will be quieter and ride better than what you currently have.

disclaimer...i do not have experience with any of these and my advice is based from the many reviews available.
Appreciate 1
chowser512025.00
      02-22-2021, 09:12 PM   #3
2fast19
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
consider increasing from 225/45/18 to 235/45/18(26.3"). 0.15" more sidewall will give a better ride, reduce the fenderwell gap by the same amount and of course, 10mm grip. here's two members of more than a few, that have done so...
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1634952&page=2

imo, omit the GT tire choice. in 235/45/18, for the best ride i'd opt for continental extremecontact dws06(non plus). however i believe the michelin's pilot sport all season 4 and even the pilot sport 4S will be quieter and ride better than what you currently have.

disclaimer...i do not have experience with any of these and my advice is based from the many reviews available.

Appreciate the response, that's an interesting idea! One question: Will the added sidewall height fit considering the cars in the thread you linked were Xdrive (mine is RWD) with a larger gap? Also, it's incredible to me that the OEM Contiprocontact RFTs are so bad that even a Summer tire like the PS4S will ride better. I guess I'm right to ditch the run-flats, pretty remarkable.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

235/45/18 will fit and improve the rwd appearance even moreso.

Although everyone's "butt dyno of" comfort may be different. Im reasonably confident about how MPS4S's ride. Hopefully some forum members with MPS4S(there are many) will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:05 PM   #5
2fast19
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
235/45/18 will fit and improve the rwd appearance even moreso.

Although everyone's "butt dyno of" comfort may be different. Im reasonably confident about how MPS4S's ride. Hopefully some forum members with MPS4S(there are many) will chime in.
Let me ask you, would 245 45R18 fit as well? That would provide ample grip and sidewall and the tires I want to try (Vredestein Hypertrac All Season) aren’t available in 235 45r18. The downside is that the 245 45r18 Vred is 3 lbs heavier than the 225 equivalent on each corner, and I feel like the extra weight could slow acceleration (or would the added grip offset that?) Sorry for all the questions, I’m still learning, appreciate your help!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2021, 11:30 PM   #6
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast19 View Post
Let me ask you, would 245 45R18 fit as well? That would provide ample grip and sidewall and the tires I want to try (Vredestein Hypertrac All Season) aren’t available in 235 45r18. The downside is that the 245 45r18 Vred is 3 lbs heavier than the 225 equivalent on each corner, and I feel like the extra weight could slow acceleration (or would the added grip offset that?) Sorry for all the questions, I’m still learning, appreciate your help!
245/45/18 will fit. you're correct about what increasing rotational weight does. consider also, gearing becomes taller and rolling resistance is increased further impacting acceleration and braking. turn-in is also slower. imo, the appearance is too "beefy" and it makes an 18" look even smaller than it is.

however, if none of this bothers you, let us know how it works out with the vredestein's and post some pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
2fast19
Rep

Just wanted to provide a quick update for anyone who's also looking for something a bit more comfortable: Ended up ordering (4) new Vredestein Hypertrac All Season 225 45r18 tires and so far, I couldn't be happier. It's going to take me some time to break them in, but the improved ride quality and significantly lower tread noise while driving were IMMEDIATELY apparent over the Contis. As for performance, I can feel the weight difference (now 3 lbs less per tire) while steering but it's fairly mild. The car definitely feels both sharper and more composed at speed now, but obviously something like the PS4S is going to offer slightly better performance across the board (at the cost of tread life and perhaps some comfort and noise). However, considering they only cost me around $150 per corner, I'm definitely satisfied with both the value and balance between sportiness and comfort that they offer. I'm sure they will only improve once they are fully broken in. For anyone else looking for comfortable ultra-high performance tires for their F30, I can definitely recommend these.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
If you live in Florida I see no reason not to go with a summer tire.

One thing I've found is the UHP all seasons really don't have that much softer of a sidewall, and they might actually be stiffer since they are trying to compensate for a less grippy tread compound. I also didn't find the Conti DSW 06's to be any quieter then PSS's when I ran both those tires as my winter/summer set ups.

I'm running the PS4S's as my summer set up and really like them. The ride isn't overly harsh or noisy. They have great grip in the wet and dry. As for wear, they seem to be holding up pretty good. I've done several autocross events with them so far and other than the visible marks from the high temps they encounter, there doesn't seem to be much wear.
      03-23-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
2fast19
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

One thing I've found is the UHP all seasons really don't have that much softer of a sidewall, and they might actually be stiffer since they are trying to compensate for a less grippy tread compound. I also didn't find the Conti DSW 06's to be any quieter then PSS's when I ran both those tires as my winter/summer set ups.

I'm running the PS4S's as my summer set up and really like them. The ride isn't overly harsh or noisy. They have great grip in the wet and dry. As for wear, they seem to be holding up pretty good. I've done several autocross events with them so far and other than the visible marks from the high temps they encounter, there doesn't seem to be much wear.
I strongly considered the PS4S along with a few others, but they were considerably more expensive and I was told that while they are quiet and comfortable for a summer tire, they will still likely be slightly louder and firmer than the Vreds. The sidewall on these Hypertracs is actually softer than most of the other UHP AS, which is one of the reasons I selected them. The Tire Rack testing backs this up, as well. All of that being said, if I ever tracked my car or wanted to explore the absolute limits I would have chosen the PS4S, no question. They are the class leaders for a reason, and their reputation is well-deserved...but for my driving style these will do fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #10
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I live in Louisiana and keep summer tires on my 340 year round. For the few days that we get snow (which only happens every few years) or a ridiculous cold spell I just park it. I have an X1 that my teen has taken as her car and I just have to borrow it back for those few days.
Appreciate 0