F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Excessive vacuum from crankcase and whining noise pls help
ARMA SPEED

02-24-2021, 04:35 AM   #1
Robbybombom
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 bmw 328i

Excessive vacuum from crankcase and whining noise pls help

BMW 328i N20 Engine. 118000 miles and excessive vacuum from crankcase and excessive whining noise
Also I've checked all the diagrams of all the n20 engines online and I can't seem to figure out what a certain vacuum hose on top of the engine is for. I've been plagued with problems as of late. I'm trying to get her up and running for a little while before I have timing chain issues. I use Carly to diagnose my car and I'll post some of the codes it's popping. I recently replaced the drive belt and battery. Can anyone help me out?? I'm at a loss I'm a self proclaimed DIY'er and I want to fix these issues myself without going to the dealer. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 04:41 AM   #2
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Usually the whining is caused by a failed diaphram which is integral to the valve cover. The fix is to replace the cover itself, most times.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 05:31 AM   #3
Robbybombom
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
Usually the whining is caused by a failed diaphram which is integral to the valve cover. The fix is to replace the cover itself, most times.
Quote:
Yes so currently the diaphragm has a small hose that looks like it runs to the intake box. It's broken. Could that be the issue? It's a vacuum hose because when I turn on the engine the whining sound happens but also the line creates suction. But it's not connected to anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 06:09 AM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbybombom View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes so currently the diaphragm has a small hose that looks like it runs to the intake box. It's broken. Could that be the issue? It's a vacuum hose because when I turn on the engine the whining sound happens but also the line creates suction. But it's not connected to anything.
I was going to say this could also be a symptom of a leaking PCV system. I would venture a guess that the broken hose you mention, which is probably the issue at hand, is part of your PCV system. Look the part up on real oem and get a new one. Should be good to go