F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > Rwd Vs. Xdrive
GetBMWParts

04-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #67
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

The RWD M Sport suspension can also be upgraded to the M Performance suspension
Appreciate 2
Blubaron791431.50
Polo088161610.00
      04-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #68
Zentan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 6MT / SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentan View Post
Could someone quickly elaborate on the major differences on the suspension system in the RWD vs Xdrive models? Heard that the suspense on the RWD models are "sportier" than Xdrive's?
For the 340i:

"Sport" suspension is not offered on xDrive models. If you look at the option list, it's a distinct difference. The Sport and M Sport packages for RWD have 'sport suspension' and "Adaptive M Sport suspension". The Sport and M Sport packages for xDrive do not include the word sport.. the sport/msport packages default to the same suspension as the non-sport package xDrive.

Sport suspension means shorter, stiffer springs (lower the car, make it stiffer to start with). Note that even stock to stock (non-sport) suspensions differ between RWD and xDrive (as they should). Though some of the differences are driven by market segment rather than performance (xDrive is softer than it has to be, I believe, due to the desires of most people who buy RWD vs AWD).

My opinion based on what I've read about adaptive suspensions is: Adaptive allows you to get the same wheel control with softer springs, getting the 'best' of both worlds. Does that mean that stiffer springs with lower ride height wouldn't help even more? And you can get Adaptive M-Sport suspension on the RWD, which has the stiffer, lower springs AND the adaptive dampers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Quote:
Could someone quickly elaborate on the major differences on the suspension system in the RWD vs Xdrive models? Heard that the suspense on the RWD models are "sportier" than Xdrive's?
For the 340i:

"Sport" suspension is not offered on xDrive models. If you look at the option list, it's a distinct difference. The Sport and M Sport packages for RWD have 'sport suspension' and "Adaptive M Sport suspension". The Sport and M Sport packages for xDrive do not include the word sport.. the sport/msport packages default to the same suspension as the non-sport package xDrive.

Sport suspension means shorter, stiffer springs (lower the car, make it stiffer to start with). Note that even stock to stock (non-sport) suspensions differ between RWD and xDrive (as they should). Though some of the differences are driven by market segment rather than performance (xDrive is softer than it has to be, I believe, due to the desires of most people who buy RWD vs AWD).

My opinion based on what I've read about adaptive suspensions is: Adaptive allows you to get the same wheel control with softer springs, getting the 'best' of both worlds. Does that mean that stiffer springs with lower ride height wouldn't help even more? And you can get Adaptive M-Sport suspension on the RWD, which has the stiffer, lower springs AND the adaptive dampers.
I appreciate the detailed response! This was extremely helpful. I have F30 335i RWD and I just checked the options list of my car and was quoted that I had "M Sport 704 Standard Suspension". Im assuming this is the sport suspension you were referencing.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #69
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Yeah, very good reason, no doubt.
I have to ask though, have you tried it with good winter tires - do you know for a fact it's impossible? How do you think people did it in the past, remember, Benz and BMW in the past had mostly RWD cars. Did everyone just wait for spring with their family in the car at the spot they got caught by snowstorm?

AWD absolutely does it better with same tires, no doubt, but can also get in trouble "from a stop on the hill in a snowstorm", contrary to popular belief, they actually can't fly in the snowstorm either.
Shoot my S4 loved the snow, like it wasn't even on the road.

Yes you don't "need" to have AWD to go most places in the snow. You also dont "Need" a BMW but you bought one because having features that makes life easier is nice.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      04-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #70
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
Shoot my S4 loved the snow, like it wasn't even on the road.

Yes you don't "need" to have AWD to go most places in the snow. You also dont "Need" a BMW but you bought one because having features that makes life easier is nice.
Absolutely, and some buy them because they love driving RWD vehicles and other manufacturers don't have competing cars in their lineup.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #71
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Absolutely, and some buy them because they love driving RWD vehicles and other manufacturers don't have competing cars in their lineup.
Others buy AWD and do 80 mph around a turn and die. Drivetrain cant fix stupid!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #72
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Others buy AWD and do 80 mph around a turn and die. Drivetrain cant fix stupid!
I don't know, sounds like it fixed itself.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #73
Delete1
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Get RWD! I came from an AWD car and I wouldn't go back to it. Unless U buy a second car like me for ruff days(snow/rain) and to share mileage. I live in NY also and even though it was a pretty bad winter I managed, parked my baby(f30 rwd) up and used public transportation. Can't justify AWD for winter for only a couple days out the year. OVERALL RWD IS SO MUCH FUN! Only real drivers will concur.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #74
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supremeceas View Post
Get RWD! I came from an AWD car and I wouldn't go back to it. Unless U buy a second car like me for ruff days(snow/rain) and to share mileage. I live in NY also and even though it was a pretty bad winter I managed, parked my baby(f30 rwd) up and used public transportation. Can't justify AWD for winter for only a couple days out the year. OVERALL RWD IS SO MUCH FUN! Only real drivers will concur.
Only real drivers live where you can actually drive a car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #75
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

I think I'll start a new Thread. Manual vs Automatic? Or maybe NA vs Turbo?

I'll save one of you the trouble and state unequivocally only real drivers have Naturally Aspirated Manuals.
      04-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #76
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Last two posts on the previous page are great, I'll just add the effect the front x drivetrain has on the front steering /suspension geometry and it's unsprung weight - both important factors to add to the pile.

I drove several of these models in many different configs from 328i RWD with track handling package to several xdrive models - there are differences. This was all before a placed my order, so I spoke with my $$.

And as also said above, we are just discussing the issue and providing food for thought, not trying to convince anyone to some other way of thinking. I try to approach any such decision by evaluating information. I encourage others to so the same with their own set of priorities.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      04-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #77
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post

I'll save one of you the trouble and state unequivocally only real drivers have Naturally Aspirated Manuals.
Ha ha, of course, anything else, you might as well buy minivan.

On a more serious note, as repetitive as these threads are, where's the harm?
They may help new owner make better, more informed decision when buying a car. Even if debate gets heated up sometimes and feelings are temporarily hurt, it's all for the benefit of those who want to learn more.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #78
metallicpea
Major
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the detailed response! This was extremely helpful. I have F30 335i RWD and I just checked the options list of my car and was quoted that I had "M Sport 704 Standard Suspension". Im assuming this is the sport suspension you were referencing.
Yes, the fixed sport suspension is the 704. It is what I liked best, after trying all combinations and spending some time on it now - again for my use and priorities.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #79
metallicpea
Major
Rep

Quote:

I know this is tongue-in-cheek, but I certainly appreciate such a car. "Real drivers" drive all kinds of cars. Even buses and dump trucks. All cars have a purpose.

Many times we are talking daily drivers here. Really this should be so as the F30 isn't really a weekend sports car. So at that point we all have different uses for our daily drivers and different priorities. If this were my only car, I would have something sportier than a RWD F30 with sport suspension. But based on someone else's use, a minivan or pick-up truck would be a more appropriate single vehicle. So practically speaking, no one can suggest what someone else should buy / drive.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #80
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
I know this is tongue-in-cheek, but I certainly appreciate such a car. "Real drivers" drive all kinds of cars. Even buses and dump trucks. All cars have a purpose.

Many times we are talking daily drivers here. Really this should be so as the F30 isn't really a weekend sports car. So at that point we all have different uses for our daily drivers and different priorities. If this were my only car, I would have something sportier than a RWD F30 with sport suspension. But based on someone else's use, a minivan or pick-up truck would be a more appropriate single vehicle. So practically speaking, no one can suggest what someone else should buy / drive.
Actually I can suggest whatever I want, and my suggestions are all that matters. Any opposing suggestions are invalid.

Murica.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #81
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep

It really comes down to the expected use along with anticipated driving conditions and personal preference of the car owner. I support anyones decision that either drive system is the best for their needs, just not that either system is the best system for all needs. It's like me claiming Mineral Grey is the best color, for me it is, your mileage may vary.
      04-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #82
metallicpea
Major
Rep

Quote:
It really comes down to the expected use along with anticipated driving conditions and personal preference of the car owner. I support anyones decision that either drive system is the best for their needs, just not that either system is the best system for all needs. It's like me claiming Mineral Grey is the best color, for me it is, your mileage may vary.
Mineral Grey is the best color
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      04-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #83
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
Mineral Grey is the best color
Estoril blue is faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #84
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Estoril blue is faster.
I know you're right.
      04-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #85
Strudle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG X1, 2017 MW 430

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by Zentan View Post
For the 340i:

My opinion based on what I've read about adaptive suspensions is: Adaptive allows you to get the same wheel control with softer springs, getting the 'best' of both worlds. Does that mean that stiffer springs with lower ride height wouldn't help even more? And you can get Adaptive M-Sport suspension on the RWD, which has the stiffer, lower springs AND the adaptive dampers.[/QUOTE

I really don't buy any of this. Seems there's much smoke and legend wrt AWD vs X drive. I've driven all configurations, both RWD and X drive, on the F30 and F36 and don't see much difference. I also just came from
a 2015 Audi Quattro, and X drive is comparable in my opinion. The only thing I haven't driven is the Adaptive M suspension, so no comment there.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #86
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strudle View Post
I really don't buy any of this. Seems there's much smoke and legend wrt AWD vs X drive. I've driven all configurations, both RWD and X drive, on the F30 and F36 and don't see much difference. I also just came from a 2015 Audi Quattro, and X drive is comparable in my opinion. The only thing I haven't driven is the Adaptive M suspension, so no comment there.
There's nothing to buy or not buy just fact and well, maybe "alternative facts".

How it feels to you or comparing to Audi is open for debate, a lot of what you quoted from previous poster with regards of height and choice of suspension offered are cold verifiable facts that any BMW dealership will be able to confirm for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #87
Strudle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG X1, 2017 MW 430

Quote:
Quote:
I really don't buy any of this. Seems there's much smoke and legend wrt AWD vs X drive. I've driven all configurations, both RWD and X drive, on the F30 and F36 and don't see much difference. I also just came from a 2015 Audi Quattro, and X drive is comparable in my opinion. The only thing I haven't driven is the Adaptive M suspension, so no comment there.
There's nothing to buy or not buy just fact and well, maybe "alternative facts".

How it feels to you or comparing to Audi is open for debate, a lot of what you quoted from previous poster with regards of height and choice of suspension offered are cold verifiable facts that any BMW dealership will be able to confirm for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #88
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
I really don't buy any of this. Seems there's much smoke and legend wrt AWD vs X drive. I've driven all configurations, both RWD and X drive, on the F30 and F36 and don't see much difference. I also just came from
a 2015 Audi Quattro, and X drive is comparable in my opinion. The only thing I haven't driven is the Adaptive M suspension, so no comment there.
As noted, everything up to my last paragraph is verifiable in BMW literature, parts catalogs, etc. The comments about adaptive suspension are my understanding based on reading about the technical details of similar systems, but I have seen very little detailed info on BMWs system specifically.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50