F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Training and exercise thread
Extreme Powerhouse

11-01-2020, 01:42 AM   #23
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Bit annoyed with the lockdown on a selfish note, currently getting stuck in to a calorie surplus and training hard at the gym after dropping from 76kg to 61kg Feb to June and now back up at 71kg. Was hoping to get to 75kg by Jan before trimming back again ready for summer but it looks like I'll need to rethink my plans without a gym to push progressive overload.

I've got dumbbells and bands at home but it's not the same, but as I did over the whole original lockdown, I'll adapt. The only slight downside is that the weather is not the same as the original lockdown and it'll be harder to get out on my bike and generally be as active outdoors as I was 6 months ago. I think a lot of people who are forced in to lockdown will struggle with this!

Last edited by 330XDave; 11-01-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
robbiep1982.50
      11-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #24
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
I'll be honest, I was in the same place last week with the talk up here of even limiting travel outwith your council area if you're level 3 or above (level 2ish in England). Instead they've luckily said you can still travel for outdoor exercise which is my big thing. I don't do pubs or clubs etc so that is neither here nor there, but getting into the hills either on foot or on bike is a big thing for me and has helped massively. During the first lockdown my coping strategy was seemingly to take it all super seriously, to the detriment of my own mental health and that of my girlfriend. Now I'll approach it all a lot more pragmatically and not feel guilty for going out into the outdoors.

Getting back to the exercise element, I've come to the realisation that I've used training in the past (for MTB racing and climbing) as an escape mechanism, and it's not necessarily been healthy. That said it has got me some bloody good results! However, I'm now making a conscious effort not to 'train', and instead just do what I want to do without looking for constant improvement. I'm back to loving riding my bike, and am doing so at a decent pace again, I'm loving trail running which I can do from my house, and I can still get into the hills for some scrambling and hillwalking. As for climbing, I've had a few days outside on rock since lockdown but I'm not rushing back to it - it was two climbing accidents which left me with PTSD and a number of other issues so while it's a love, it's also a hate and a confliction and there seems no point to push it right now when life isn't exactly normal. As a result of that I've also cancelled my indoor climbing gym membership as while it was sociable it had also become a compulsion for constant improvement that I rarely actually got to apply outside, where it actually counts. I don't miss breaking that cycle.

Hopefully we'll get a good (wild/cold/snowy) winter this year so I can get out ski touring too. But for now, it's mountain biking, running and the occasional mountain day, and I'm actually okay with that. That said, if lockdown kicks in up here too then I may have something different to say.
Don't know where you are in Scotland, but yeah, the Highlands are stunning for being out in the hills - whether walking, MTB or running.

A couple of years ago we went up to Mallaig for the Road to the Isles half marathon in early May, spent a week up there beforehand. Out on the bikes one day, running over the tops above Loch Morar another, a day out sea kayaking on a third - and, of course, dinner and a couple of drinks in one of the many great pubs of an evening. Just stunning and we had a blast.
I'm fortunate in that the Clwydan hills are literally on my doorstep - I can walk out of the door, run for 10 minutes and be on Offa's Dyke path.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      11-01-2020, 02:14 AM   #25
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Cardio doesn't interest me, I am not overweight and I do a lot of walking so have always been fairly fit.

Currently have a power cage, bench, olympic plates and rubber plates in the garage.

I was still going to the gym twice a week as some things are easier on machines, will probably get another couple of sessions in before they close and just use the home stuff for a month until they reopen.

The gyms were a low risk in my opinion, I got nowhere near anybody else and people wiped down the kit with spray after using it and as far as I know, there have been no reports of outbreaks in Gyms.
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-01-2020, 03:16 AM   #26
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
Cardio doesn't interest me, I am not overweight and I do a lot of walking so have always been fairly fit.

Currently have a power cage, bench, olympic plates and rubber plates in the garage.

I was still going to the gym twice a week as some things are easier on machines, will probably get another couple of sessions in before they close and just use the home stuff for a month until they reopen.

The gyms were a low risk in my opinion, I got nowhere near anybody else and people wiped down the kit with spray after using it and as far as I know, there have been no reports of outbreaks in Gyms.
If you build the cardio capacity now, you will be much better off holding onto it when you are older.

Just picking up on what you said in another thread about never having flu, it's not as common as you'd think from listening to people who are off work for 1-4 days with 'flu'. I've had it once in my 48 years. Probably about 15 years ago. It absolutely floored me for days, kept me off work for the best part of a fortnight and it was at least a month before I felt pretty normal. Don't attribute not having it to having some sort of mega immune system.

No outbreaks in gyms, I don't trust our track and trace to know whether there have been or not. Wiping down will handle the droplets of virus. Nothing apart from large volume air ventilation will take take care of the aerosols, which are the major factor in large outbreaks.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 3
robbiep1982.50
Watsey6399.00
JustChris17483.00
      11-01-2020, 03:36 AM   #27
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
If you build the cardio capacity now, you will be much better off holding onto it when you are older.

Just picking up on what you said in another thread about never having flu, it's not as common as you'd think from listening to people who are off work for 1-4 days with 'flu'. I've had it once in my 48 years. Probably about 15 years ago. It absolutely floored me for days, kept me off work for the best part of a fortnight and it was at least a month before I felt pretty normal. Don't attribute not having it to having some sort of mega immune system.

No outbreaks in gyms, I don't trust our track and trace to know whether there have been or not. Wiping down will handle the droplets of virus. Nothing apart from large volume air ventilation will take take care of the aerosols, which are the major factor in large outbreaks.
If we’re having a lockdown it’d may as well be as complete as possible to speed up any downturn. Not much point in sending people home from work if they then head to the gym.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 11-01-2020 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 3
robbiep1982.50
Ennoch2257.00
      11-01-2020, 03:36 AM   #28
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
I don't know how you do an hour on those things!

I hate exercising at home. I'm really worried what this lockdown will do to my mental health again. Just got over some tough times and was feeling good and now I'm worried again.
I'll be honest, I was in the same place last week with the talk up here of even limiting travel outwith your council area if you're level 3 or above (level 2ish in England). Instead they've luckily said you can still travel for outdoor exercise which is my big thing. I don't do pubs or clubs etc so that is neither here nor there, but getting into the hills either on foot or on bike is a big thing for me and has helped massively. During the first lockdown my coping strategy was seemingly to take it all super seriously, to the detriment of my own mental health and that of my girlfriend. Now I'll approach it all a lot more pragmatically and not feel guilty for going out into the outdoors.

Getting back to the exercise element, I've come to the realisation that I've used training in the past (for MTB racing and climbing) as an escape mechanism, and it's not necessarily been healthy. That said it has got me some bloody good results! However, I'm now making a conscious effort not to 'train', and instead just do what I want to do without looking for constant improvement. I'm back to loving riding my bike, and am doing so at a decent pace again, I'm loving trail running which I can do from my house, and I can still get into the hills for some scrambling and hillwalking. As for climbing, I've had a few days outside on rock since lockdown but I'm not rushing back to it - it was two climbing accidents which left me with PTSD and a number of other issues so while it's a love, it's also a hate and a confliction and there seems no point to push it right now when life isn't exactly normal. As a result of that I've also cancelled my indoor climbing gym membership as while it was sociable it had also become a compulsion for constant improvement that I rarely actually got to apply outside, where it actually counts. I don't miss breaking that cycle.

Hopefully we'll get a good (wild/cold/snowy) winter this year so I can get out ski touring too. But for now, it's mountain biking, running and the occasional mountain day, and I'm actually okay with that. That said, if lockdown kicks in up here too then I may have something different to say.
The middle paragraph of this is so true and really powerful. It resonates with me.

I used to think like this. I'd train hard for all the things I did and would beat myself if I missed a session or underperformed in a match. Aged 30 I stopped tennis and football. I concentrated on the things I enjoyed that I didn't compete at.
This was similar to your sports I did more climbing MTB fell running and white water kayaking. But I did work hard to be the best I could be for myself without it being all consuming. I was very competent within my group of mates. I enjoyed the focus that brought.
Last week a group of us from our old kayak club should have been in Fort William for our annual pilgrimage week of kayaking walking climbing and biking.
18 years on and after an illness I find exercise harder but I still love it. I really do do it for the fun now and camaraderie is a huge part of that. I'm very comfortable I won't perform as I could had I not been ill or if I'd been more dedicated. I do like knowing I can still run 5 or 10 k though.
If I have a maxim for sport these days it would be

"The best athlete, is the one having the most fun".
Appreciate 3
robbiep1982.50
Ennoch2257.00
      11-01-2020, 03:44 AM   #29
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Whilst I'd agree with you regards gyms and equipment, the risk areas are far more in the exercise classes.

One nurse I know went back to the gym once they re-opened, walking past one of the studio rooms she reckoned it was all as if everything was back to normal - nowhere near enough spacing.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 03:51 AM   #30
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
I have totally given now. Gym is a few minutes walk but with the first lockdown I purchased bands, and lat bar.

Started running again but got bored, started to landscape the gardens which was a big workout in itself.

I re-started the gym again only for Merseyside to be the first in T3 and gyms closed again, they opened again and now close again on Thursday.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-01-2020, 04:16 AM   #31
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Quote:

Like I said, I am fairly fit already. Can run 5K in under 25 minutes, not that running interests me at all. I’m building muscle at the moment and eating enough calories that I don’t need to be burning any off with Cardio.

We have had 8 months to get track and trace working and it’s still shite, I have absolutely no confidence it’s going to work regardless of how low infections are. I will just deal with Gyms being closed but will be straight back there once they open, I’m happy to decide on my own risks.

All the virus suppression methods rely on compliance from the public and it’s quite clear enough people are not going to follow the rules. I’m classed as key worker as I work in finance so will still be going into the office one day a week, getting the train into London. I can’t be at home all day every day, it’s driving me round the bend.

As soon as they unlock on December 2nd, infections will start to go up against as people will mix again. Xmas will be ok as by that point they won’t be up enough for another lockdown but come Jan/Feb we will be back in lockdown I reckon.

I’m just basing this on my own experiences with family, friends and work colleagues. People are going to break the rules no matter what BJ says.
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-01-2020, 04:18 AM   #32
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
I've really got into running again this year - lockdown and WFH given me far much time. Was supposed to be doing the Silverstone Half Marathon in two weeks and was aiming to go sub 90 minutes but obviously won't be doing it now...

I've already written this year off anyway so not particularly bothered at another lockdown - looking forward to next year and hopefully getting back to some form of normality.
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-01-2020, 04:26 AM   #33
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Quote:

Like I said, I am fairly fit already. Can run 5K in under 25 minutes, not that running interests me at all. I’m building muscle at the moment and eating enough calories that I don’t need to be burning any off with Cardio.

We have had 8 months to get track and trace working and it’s still shite, I have absolutely no confidence it’s going to work regardless of how low infections are. I will just deal with Gyms being closed but will be straight back there once they open, I’m happy to decide on my own risks.

All the virus suppression methods rely on compliance from the public and it’s quite clear enough people are not going to follow the rules. I’m classed as key worker as I work in finance so will still be going into the office one day a week, getting the train into London. I can’t be at home all day every day, it’s driving me round the bend.

As soon as they unlock on December 2nd, infections will start to go up against as people will mix again. Xmas will be ok as by that point they won’t be up enough for another lockdown but come Jan/Feb we will be back in lockdown I reckon.

I’m just basing this on my own experiences with family, friends and work colleagues. People are going to break the rules no matter what BJ says.
Have you not considered a cross fit weights / kettle bell based cardio session or two a week.
Something that gets you blowing and works cardio system through high intensity high rep weight movements with the odd 2k run chucked in within the session?
Something like this?

https://www.boxrox.com/fiery-crossfi...-any-weakness/
Appreciate 2
robbiep1982.50
JustChris17483.00
      11-01-2020, 04:36 AM   #34
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:

No, not like you said - you said you did a lot of walking, no mention of running.

And, yes, selfish people will break a lot of rules. I'm also a key worker in finance, I've not been in the office since 10 March. I don't need to be dashing around the place infecting everyone else, should I get it.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-01-2020, 05:43 AM   #35
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
my only form of exercise was badminton twice weekly for 2 hours. I cannot do running weights etc as the competitive and strategic aspects of the sport along with the social and physical element interest me and there is no boredom.
Not much badminton since lockdown as most venues were closed. I haven't gained weight though but I suspect its because I'm 6 ft and 95kg and probably not much more weight left to gain.
Appreciate 2
robbiep1982.50
Sennen1730.50
      11-01-2020, 05:54 AM   #36
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
my only form of exercise was badminton twice weekly for 2 hours. I cannot do running weights etc as the competitive and strategic aspects of the sport along with the social and physical element interest me and there is no boredom.
Not much badminton since lockdown as most venues were closed. I haven't gained weight though but I suspect its because I'm 6 ft and 95kg and probably not much more weight left to gain.
Love badminton too - I usually play in our county league matches.

Absolutely exhausting, incredibly frustrating, and great fun, all rolled into one !
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13430.00
      11-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #37
TaranF32
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

Dropped a load of weight over the first lockdown, went on basically a crash diet and a load of cardio.

Put a post up towards the end of it on the forum and got some pointless replies but a few constructive posts. (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1731549

Took advice from thescouselander and Stu101 and increased my calories and started weight training once gyms reopened. Spent a month just getting into a good flow and working on my form whils building good eating habita. Over the last month I've started eating 2800kcal and am trying to 'lean bulk' where my weight goes up steadily accompanied by a Push/Pull/Legs split where I train 5 days a week (Pull/Push/Legs/Rest/Pull/Push/Rest).

Started to see some small differences and my weight has gone from 68kg to 72kg.

Hopefully Wales isn't going to extend their firebreak lockdown so I might be lucky enough to hit the gym!

I've always been a bit body conscious. Stuck with a 'skinny fat' physique where I've never had much muscle and been a bit chubby. Was really enjoying following a good diet and increasing my compound lifts at the gym and seeing progress.
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-02-2020, 04:04 AM   #38
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

I've never been to the gym in my life but around 6 years ago when my ankles decided that running and football weren't for them anymore I bought a X trainer and punchbag for my garage, one of the best things I ever did!

I do a 15-20 mins warm up on the X trainer, have an old IPad clamped to it used as a TV to relieve any boredom then do a 30-35 mins session on the punch bag with music on in the background followed by another 15-20 mins on the X trainer. I do this 5-6 times a week and it keeps the weight off without finding it too laborious, also the punchbag is great for anyone suffering from stress!
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #39
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaranF32 View Post
Dropped a load of weight over the first lockdown, went on basically a crash diet and a load of cardio.

Put a post up towards the end of it on the forum and got some pointless replies but a few constructive posts. (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1731549

Took advice from thescouselander and Stu101 and increased my calories and started weight training once gyms reopened. Spent a month just getting into a good flow and working on my form whils building good eating habita. Over the last month I've started eating 2800kcal and am trying to 'lean bulk' where my weight goes up steadily accompanied by a Push/Pull/Legs split where I train 5 days a week (Pull/Push/Legs/Rest/Pull/Push/Rest).

Started to see some small differences and my weight has gone from 68kg to 72kg.

Hopefully Wales isn't going to extend their firebreak lockdown so I might be lucky enough to hit the gym!

I've always been a bit body conscious. Stuck with a 'skinny fat' physique where I've never had much muscle and been a bit chubby. Was really enjoying following a good diet and increasing my compound lifts at the gym and seeing progress.
You sound very much like myself mate.

Always been conscious of my body and always had to work hard just to stop the muffin top growing nevermind getting any sort of decent physique.

After 5 months of a surplus I'm just starting to get a bit of shape about me, bloody muffin top soon made an appearance again though, it literally is the first bit of fat that appears!
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #40
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Can't be bothered with cardio, especially not in this weather. Looks like it's damage control for me trying not to lose too much strength by doing bodyweight and TRX excersises. If I'm lucky mini thescouselander might jump onto my back for a bit of added weight.

All this stop start is no good though. Assuming my house move goes through I'll be cancelling my gym membership and setting one up at home since I'll have the space.
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #41
TaranF32
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
You sound very much like myself mate.

Always been conscious of my body and always had to work hard just to stop the muffin top growing nevermind getting any sort of decent physique.

After 5 months of a surplus I'm just starting to get a bit of shape about me, bloody muffin top soon made an appearance again though, it literally is the first bit of fat that appears!
I always had a bit of a belly, thought I'd get rid of it over the first lockdown and dropped my weight considerably. Since I've started strength training and eating in a calorie surplus I've noticed that I'm starting to put on some muscle.

It's a pretty slow process and of course I'm gaining a little bit of fat, but atleast I'm building muscle at the same time haha.
I'm hoping that by mid next year I'll be in a decent position to cut any extra fat I've gaining and with a bit of luck have a decent physique
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      11-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #42
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Don't know where you are in Scotland, but yeah, the Highlands are stunning for being out in the hills - whether walking, MTB or running.

A couple of years ago we went up to Mallaig for the Road to the Isles half marathon in early May, spent a week up there beforehand. Out on the bikes one day, running over the tops above Loch Morar another, a day out sea kayaking on a third - and, of course, dinner and a couple of drinks in one of the many great pubs of an evening. Just stunning and we had a blast.
I'm fortunate in that the Clwydan hills are literally on my doorstep - I can walk out of the door, run for 10 minutes and be on Offa's Dyke path.
While my dad's family is from the northwest I sadly grew up in the central belt but have always had the intention of moving north, I hate cities with a passion. That said, being central makes it easy to get south to the borders and the lakes, Perthshire is an hour away, and you can get in all directions pretty easily. But it does mean that you don't have any true wilderness on your doorstep and have to travel for it, something that in the last 8 months has become more of an issue than it was previously! That said, I'm right on the boundary of the city and so do have countryside on my doorstep for running in, even if it is rather litter strewn from uneducated and disrespectful louts.

Being out in the wilderness is my first love, no matter what form of adventure I'm doing in it! Riding bikes is the one which comes easiest to me, but mountaineering and climbing are important too. Funny you should mention kayaking as I was about to buy a sea kayak for this year but with the first lockdown I decided to postpone that until next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post
The middle paragraph of this is so true and really powerful. It resonates with me.

I used to think like this. I'd train hard for all the things I did and would beat myself if I missed a session or underperformed in a match. Aged 30 I stopped tennis and football. I concentrated on the things I enjoyed that I didn't compete at.
This was similar to your sports I did more climbing MTB fell running and white water kayaking. But I did work hard to be the best I could be for myself without it being all consuming. I was very competent within my group of mates. I enjoyed the focus that brought.
Last week a group of us from our old kayak club should have been in Fort William for our annual pilgrimage week of kayaking walking climbing and biking.
18 years on and after an illness I find exercise harder but I still love it. I really do do it for the fun now and camaraderie is a huge part of that. I'm very comfortable I won't perform as I could had I not been ill or if I'd been more dedicated. I do like knowing I can still run 5 or 10 k though.

It's been interesting working with a counsellor since the PTSD diagnosis in July as it's allowed me to explore so many different things which have all led to where I am now, both good and bad. And knowing these things definitely helps with recognising the warning signs. One of the things I've realised is that I've got the perfectionist inside me, which helps you to do your best, but that's also allied to the poisonous perfectionist that aims for the very best and doesn't allow you to do anything less than achieve perfection without beating yourself up for failing to meet those unachievable targets! With racing bikes it wasn't particularly noticeable as I aimed for the top and I wasn't far away. But with other things it's super destructive and partly why I've deleted all pro athletes from my instagram unless they're my mates, it just doesn't help with my self expectations as I'm aiming for what I had when I trained for 20+hrs a week!. What stopped me racing bikes properly was getting ill ten years ago, and that then set off the chain of events which led me to having a fairly poor ten years when it comes to mental health, it's just that I'm only realising now what the impact was.
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN13430.00
robbiep1982.50
G50932.00
      11-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #43
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

While my dad's family is from the northwest I sadly grew up in the central belt but have always had the intention of moving north, I hate cities with a passion. That said, being central makes it easy to get south to the borders and the lakes, Perthshire is an hour away, and you can get in all directions pretty easily. But it does mean that you don't have any true wilderness on your doorstep and have to travel for it, something that in the last 8 months has become more of an issue than it was previously! That said, I'm right on the boundary of the city and so do have countryside on my doorstep for running in, even if it is rather litter strewn from uneducated and disrespectful louts.

Being out in the wilderness is my first love, no matter what form of adventure I'm doing in it! Riding bikes is the one which comes easiest to me, but mountaineering and climbing are important too. Funny you should mention kayaking as I was about to buy a sea kayak for this year but with the first lockdown I decided to postpone that until next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post

It's been interesting working with a counsellor since the PTSD diagnosis in July as it's allowed me to explore so many different things which have all led to where I am now, both good and bad. And knowing these things definitely helps with recognising the warning signs. One of the things I've realised is that I've got the perfectionist inside me, which helps you to do your best, but that's also allied to the poisonous perfectionist that aims for the very best and doesn't allow you to do anything less than achieve perfection without beating yourself up for failing to meet those unachievable targets! With racing bikes it wasn't particularly noticeable as I aimed for the top and I wasn't far away. But with other things it's super destructive and partly why I've deleted all pro athletes from my instagram unless they're my mates, it just doesn't help with my self expectations as I'm aiming for what I had when I trained for 20+hrs a week!. What stopped me racing bikes properly was getting ill ten years ago, and that then set off the chain of events which led me to having a fairly poor ten years when it comes to mental health, it's just that I'm only realising now what the impact was.

as they say 'perfect is the enemy of good'
none of us can be perfect but most of us can be good enough...let's celebrate our good and be happy.
Appreciate 4
robbiep1982.50
Ennoch2257.00
Rbrown2763.00
      11-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #44
330XDave
Major
Rep

Why can I not get on to page 3 of this thread?
Appreciate 0