F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > xHP Flashtool Question
Studio RSR

12-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
xHP Flashtool Question

I was reading through xHP's FAQ section because I was curious if it shortens the life of the transmission and came across a portion of their answer which I found interesting:

"S and M modes are designed to facilitate sporty and fun driving. Shift times are cut and clutches get applied more aggressive. Use these modes when necessary and not as standard."

I find it hard to believe BMW would offer a mode that prematurely wears out a transmission but then again, nothing surprises me. Does anyone have input on this? WIth all the cars now going from DCT to the ZF maybe BMW is softening its brand up
      12-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

I believe that is referring to xhp's flash and not the bmw factory flash?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
I believe that is referring to xhp's flash and not the bmw factory flash?
It was regarding even the stock tune. Typically, a trans tune is to keep the trans from wearing while running more torque. Honestly, reading the FAQ made me apprehensive about this flash.
      12-30-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
Conr4d
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435i_Phil View Post
It was regarding even the stock tune. Typically, a trans tune is to keep the trans from wearing while running more torque. Honestly, reading the FAQ made me apprehensive about this flash.
Do a deep dive search on the F30Post and 2Addicts forums. You’ll find that most people have had great long term results with the XHP Transmission Flash. Not many horror stories out there by users. I’m running Stage 3 map and love every bit of it! I’d put it just below an ECU Tune + Down Pipe in terms of best bang for your buck performance mods. You won’t be disappointed, especially if you already have an ECU tune! In Sport/Sport+, upshifts crack like a whip and are very fast. Downshifts are smooth and have very pleasing aggressive throttle blips. No change from OEM settings in Comfort/Eco. XHP makes the ZF 8HP transmission very engaging and fun
2016 M235i Mineral Gray Metallic - Dinan Intake | Evolution ITB & TIC Charge Pipes | Evolution Intercooler | TurboSmart Diverter Valve | Evolution Down Pipe | Dinan Resonator Delete Mid Pipe | Dinan Exhaust | BM3 Stage 2 93 Octane | NGK 2-Step Colder Plugs | xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash | M Performance Rotors | Autotecknic Carbon Mirrors | RKP Carbon Trunk Lip Spoiler | M Performance Carbon Shifter | M Performance LED Steering Wheel

Last edited by Conr4d; 12-30-2020 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #5
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conr4d View Post
Quote:
Do a deep dive search on the F30Post and 2Addicts forums. You'll find that most people have had great long term results with the XHP Transmission Flash. Not many horror stories out there by users. I'm running Stage 3 map and love every bit of it! I'd put it just below an ECU Tune + Down Pipe in terms of best bang for your buck performance mods. You won't be disappointed, especially if you already have an ECU tune! In Sport/Sport+, upshifts crack like a whip and are very fast. Downshifts are smooth and have very pleasing aggressive throttle blips. No change from OEM settings in Comfort/Eco. XHP makes the ZF 8HP transmission very engaging and fun
I'm excited to try it! I'm also entertaining getting a built ZF8HP45 by Pure Drivetrain Solutions.
Conr4d27.50
      12-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do a deep dive search on the F30Post and 2Addicts forums. You'll find that most people have had great long term results with the XHP Transmission Flash. Not many horror stories out there by users. I'm running Stage 3 map and love every bit of it! I'd put it just below an ECU Tune + Down Pipe in terms of best bang for your buck performance mods. You won't be disappointed, especially if you already have an ECU tune! In Sport/Sport+, upshifts crack like a whip and are very fast. Downshifts are smooth and have very pleasing aggressive throttle blips. No change from OEM settings in Comfort/Eco. XHP makes the ZF 8HP transmission very engaging and fun
I'm excited to try it! I'm also entertaining getting a built ZF8HP45 by Pure Drivetrain Solutions.
I was on the fence for a while about xHP myself. I initially flashed the BM3 trans flash but noticed no real difference. xHP totally transformed the transmission and driving experience for me. I wouldn't drive the car without it now period.
      12-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was on the fence for a while about xHP myself. I initially flashed the BM3 trans flash but noticed no real difference. xHP totally transformed the transmission and driving experience for me. I wouldn't drive the car without it now period.
I'll have to give it a try!
      01-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
335igasm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

XHP does not shorten the life of the trans, it helps prolong the life by shortening the clutch slipping and increasing the pressures to hold more torque. By far one of the greatest thing's you'll do to your car is flash XHP if an auto!

Facebook.com/SpoolnMotorsports
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #9
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

Unhappy

On MHD stage 0 with burble option, I am currently testing Xhp Flashtool stage 1 (0 option).
After various 65 kilometers, the clutch slipping of the gears is more important and, the passage times are slower! In Eco Pro mode as in Comfort mode (I have not yet tested SPORT before 80 kms)
Upshifts more frequently and before the revs of the BMW OEM modes, but this is not pleasant and it makes the car and interior parts vibrate (this gets worse with my with an M PERFORMANCE exhaust it is at very low speed. annoying...).
So far my experience with this first MOD of XHP FLASTOOL is not good.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:39 AM   #10
ctt300
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
On MHD stage 0 with burble option, I am currently testing Xhp Flashtool stage 1 (0 option).
After various 65 kilometers, the clutch slipping of the gears is more important and, the passage times are slower! In Eco Pro mode as in Comfort mode (I have not yet tested SPORT before 80 kms)
Upshifts more frequently and before the revs of the BMW OEM modes, but this is not pleasant and it makes the car and interior parts vibrate (this gets worse with my with an M PERFORMANCE exhaust it is at very low speed. annoying...).
You should flash stage 2 or 3 and then adjust the shift points positive by a bit like 3% or more. XHP is powerful and you must read the instructions and the descriptions for each option that can be changed. It takes a bit of experimentation as to what shift points you like.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
As mentioned above, you need to select the appropriate XHP stage and/or custom options for what you are looking for. You picked stage 1 which is the most conservative stage, but it sounds like you dont want conservative transmission logic. If you dont like what stage 1 offers, try 2 or 3, and be sure to try all different modes for both the drivetrain and the transmission, as the behavior will change with the various combinations of comfort/sport/sport+ and whether or not you are in D or S. Once you find which stage suits your driving style the best, then you can start messing with custom options.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #12
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Hello and thank you for your advice, I was just telling MY experience here, it may of course be different for other drivers.
As I already know, placed between an engine and its performance, there is often a pilot (more or less good)
I thought that (just like MHD for an example) just by flashing stage 1, I will have a good surprise, but what is valid for me is not valid for the other.
So yes, I will test the other STAGE 2 cards and (later) hoping to find my happiness; because shifting gear change points, maximum revs, clutch delay etc ... This is not trivial in mechanics, and I do not feel experienced enough for the moment. Yet I have been reading and rereading for almost two months, and almost every day.
Thank you for your comments and good evening
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 02:26 AM   #13
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Following my (personal) tests I did not have the courage to wait any longer and I switched to STAGE 2 with no other option than the display of gearbox ratios.
The STAGE 1 seems to be shifting the gear shift points and it's not at all good in SPORT mode (for my N55 PWG).
In short ... STAGE 2 after 65 kilometers, it still vibrates and purrs a little less, the engine under-revs are less marked, but all the same too frequent, and suddenly the turbo is too busy (from 1400 rpm).
I think the option of the MHD card "Apply a lineare throttle .." may be involved, or is it my car configuration (Mperformance exhaust)?
But in stage 2 MODE D at 60-70 km / h in 8th, I found myself with a vibrating base box under my buttocks ...
I still have 40 kilometers left before I switch to SPORT mode (from STAGE 2) and see if there is a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Following my (personal) tests I did not have the courage to wait any longer and I switched to STAGE 2 with no other option than the display of gearbox ratios.
The STAGE 1 seems to be shifting the gear shift points and it's not at all good in SPORT mode (for my N55 PWG).
In short ... STAGE 2 after 65 kilometers, it still vibrates and purrs a little less, the engine under-revs are less marked, but all the same too frequent, and suddenly the turbo is too busy (from 1400 rpm).
I think the option of the MHD card "Apply a lineare throttle .." may be involved, or is it my car configuration (Mperformance exhaust)?
But in stage 2 MODE D at 60-70 km / h in 8th, I found myself with a vibrating base box under my buttocks ...
I still have 40 kilometers left before I switch to SPORT mode (from STAGE 2) and see if there is a difference.
As i mentioned in the other thread, if you have linear throttle mapping on, turn that off. I recall reading that you should not use linear throttle option in MHD with XHP flash. Once you turn that off.

Also, stage 3 is where its at IMO. Its completely fine for a daily driver and really provides you with the most tangible change/improvement over the stock trans tune. Going from stock to stage 3 is night and day.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #15
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

I reserve my STAGE 3 for a passage on the bench first "without" then "with" but you are quite right to point out that the MHD option must be removed with my previous tests, I will do it tomorrow.
Tonight on the way back I made a little rush after having done 140 kms, the STAGE 2 in SPORT mode is not as impressive as the original map, but the gearshifts have improved, I think I will keep this card (without the MHD option) until 02/09/2021.
Afterwards I withdraw everything to do the tests mentioned.
Thank you !

NB: We must keep in mind that this car has already been signed by a BMW sport department and its MPerformance branch.
Xhp must therefore be more impressive / better felt on models of type F20 125
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:53 AM   #16
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Question

I find it difficult to understand the translation made by the software concerning stages 2 & 3 of Xhp Flashtool: once in manual SPORT mode (lever pulled) the gears no longer pass automatically and go to the switch? Is that it, please?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I find it difficult to understand the translation made by the software concerning stages 2 & 3 of Xhp Flashtool: once in manual SPORT mode (lever pulled) the gears no longer pass automatically and go to the switch? Is that it, please?
No, there's more of a difference between stage 2 and stage 3. Stage 3 is going to increase shift speed and response further over stage 2. It also adds "very strong blips on downshifts". Generally speaking you can think of each stage as becoming more performance oriented and aggressive. So things will be faster, more responsive, and designed more for performance than say, fuel economy.
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50
      02-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #18
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

In the manual mode in SPORT (on an automatic gearbox) the gear ratios come up to the switch or does it continue to shift upwards?

I'm afraid that my gearbox ratios will no longer pass the higher ratios according to what I have translated
EXAMPLE of what I translated:
- In 3rd gear in SPORT mode and without Xhp = 7000rpm change to 4th gear
- In 3rd gear in SPORT mode with Xhp = 7000rpm, breaker that blocks and no change to 4th gear

Sorry for my questions which may seem stupid, but the translations are not always correct and I prefer to inquire well before doing anything.

NB :I am in stage 2 and the behavior is getting better and better ...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #19
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
In the manual mode in SPORT (on an automatic gearbox) the gear ratios come up to the switch or does it continue to shift upwards?

I'm afraid that my gearbox ratios will no longer pass the higher ratios according to what I have translated
EXAMPLE of what I translated:
- In 3rd gear in SPORT mode and without Xhp = 7000rpm change to 4th gear
- In 3rd gear in SPORT mode with Xhp = 7000rpm, breaker that blocks and no change to 4th gear

Sorry for my questions which may seem stupid, but the translations are not always correct and I prefer to inquire well before doing anything.

NB :I am in stage 2 and the behavior is getting better and better ...
What driving mode are you referring to? Comfort, sport, or sport +?

If you are in sport+ driving mode, sport transmission (shifter pushed to the left) and manual mode, i am 100% sure that both before and after flashing XHP you will hold at redline and not automatically upshift at 7000rpm. I accidently hit rev limter when stock and later on after tuned and with XHP and there was no change.

I am not 100% sure if you are in modes other than sport +, but I believe if you are in sport transmission (shifter) to the left and manual mode, the car will always hold at redline and not automatically upshift. I would never count on the car automatically upshifting when in manual mode - whats the point then?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 05:31 AM   #20
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

My question is asked "in sport mode" (or Sport) and in automatic mode (lever to the right)

With your explanations, it seems that I have misinterpreted the (literary) translation of the Xhp Flashtool manual which suggests that in STAGE 2 and in STAGE 3 and in automatic SPORT mode = it's up to you to change gears higher (with levers or paddles) otherwise you go to the limit and breaker

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 07:22 AM   #21
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
just run stage 3.. everyone runs stage 3
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 09:51 AM   #22
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
just run stage 3.. everyone runs stage 3
very true on everyones signatures and build list that seems to be the norm, I've been on it myself for over a year, Does anyone ever daily stage 4(I know its meant for tracking)? I've considered trying it out for a day once it gets warmer