F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Let's talk 1/4 mile, launch, time, more!
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
125
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: bmw 340i 2018
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Let's talk 1/4 mile, launch, time, more!

Hi guys,

so i though it would be nice to have a topic and talking about 1/4 mile! How do you guys launch, what car and mods, time slip..

For me, i'm wondering how to launch properly the car to get a good 0-60..
I have a 435I 2014 convertible with heavy wheel (Vossen cv4) RWD Automatic with FBO :

CTS intercooler
BMS Intake
ER Chargepipe
ER Catted downpipe
Full borla ATAK catback
JB4 + EWG connector
Running 94 octane on map 5! Will do a custom map 6 soon!

I've tried the Launch control and can't even have a little grip so car is spinning like hell...

What do you guys suggest? Brake boost only? 2000 rpm? less or more?
Starting from 1st or 2nd gear?

At what RPM do you suggest to shift?

Waiting for your experience and news!!

Thanks!!
__________________
Bmw 435M 2014 Convertible SOLD!
Bmw 340i X drive 2018 New orange sunset, Manual transmission, M performance I & II, M performance front lip, side extension rear diffuser, tinted windows.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #2
sicmadek
Captain
204
Rep
702
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i sportline
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: louisiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5858 View Post
Hi guys,

so i though it would be nice to have a topic and talking about 1/4 mile! How do you guys launch, what car and mods, time slip..

For me, i'm wondering how to launch properly the car to get a good 0-60..
I have a 435I 2014 convertible with heavy wheel (Vossen cv4) RWD Automatic with FBO :

CTS intercooler
BMS Intake
ER Chargepipe
ER Catted downpipe
Full borla ATAK catback
JB4 + EWG connector
Running 94 octane on map 5! Will do a custom map 6 soon!

I've tried the Launch control and can't even have a little grip so car is spinning like hell...

What do you guys suggest? Brake boost only? 2000 rpm? less or more?
Starting from 1st or 2nd gear?

At what RPM do you suggest to shift?

Waiting for your experience and news!!

Thanks!!
Prolly gonna have to launch in 2nd gear but track grip is different from the street
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
125
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: bmw 340i 2018
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicmadek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5858 View Post
Hi guys,

so i though it would be nice to have a topic and talking about 1/4 mile! How do you guys launch, what car and mods, time slip..

For me, i'm wondering how to launch properly the car to get a good 0-60..
I have a 435I 2014 convertible with heavy wheel (Vossen cv4) RWD Automatic with FBO :

CTS intercooler
BMS Intake
ER Chargepipe
ER Catted downpipe
Full borla ATAK catback
JB4 + EWG connector
Running 94 octane on map 5! Will do a custom map 6 soon!

I've tried the Launch control and can't even have a little grip so car is spinning like hell...

What do you guys suggest? Brake boost only? 2000 rpm? less or more?
Starting from 1st or 2nd gear?

At what RPM do you suggest to shift?

Waiting for your experience and news!!

Thanks!!
Prolly gonna have to launch in 2nd gear but track grip is different from the street
Well I've tried a couple way in first gear, didn't tried to launch from 2nd gear yet.. best time I could do was 13.34 at 105.9.. this is some shitty time haha
__________________
Bmw 435M 2014 Convertible SOLD!
Bmw 340i X drive 2018 New orange sunset, Manual transmission, M performance I & II, M performance front lip, side extension rear diffuser, tinted windows.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
EatMoreLobsters
Lobster Soup
EatMoreLobsters's Avatar
United_States
145
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Black/Sakhir
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NJ/PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 335i xDrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5858 View Post
Hi guys,

so i though it would be nice to have a topic and talking about 1/4 mile! How do you guys launch, what car and mods, time slip..

For me, i'm wondering how to launch properly the car to get a good 0-60..
I have a 435I 2014 convertible with heavy wheel (Vossen cv4) RWD Automatic with FBO :

CTS intercooler
BMS Intake
ER Chargepipe
ER Catted downpipe
Full borla ATAK catback
JB4 + EWG connector
Running 94 octane on map 5! Will do a custom map 6 soon!

I've tried the Launch control and can't even have a little grip so car is spinning like hell...

What do you guys suggest? Brake boost only? 2000 rpm? less or more?
Starting from 1st or 2nd gear?

At what RPM do you suggest to shift?

Waiting for your experience and news!!

Thanks!!
We have similar setups, i'm in a 355xi however. I've only been to the strip once, I started in 1st gear, sport+ and break boosted to about 2-2.25k - then I was running on stock 18's and all season run flats (less mods than i currently have listed). I was high 12's on average. I did some runs with shifting at redline and some at 6.25k-6.5k going into 3rd+ and did not notice much difference. I boosted up to 2.5k once and all tires spun and I hit a bad time, i think 13.3 seconds on that one. I don't have jb4 installed, but one thing I think you can do is set boost @ each gear which could help you out with launch in 1st and 2nd with low psi.

I had some issues with delays after shifting in higher gears which i'm still trying to work out so it should have been faster.

[EDIT]
After adding the new wheels/tires (Michelin PS4S) i've had no tire spin issues and dropped about 3/10 a second off runs
__________________
2018 M3 Competition Mineral Black/Sakhir Orange 6 Speed: Stock for now
2013 335i xDrive PWG: Bootmod3 Stage 2 | MPPK | FBO Dinan - CAI - Exhaust (Black) - Intercooler - Big Turbo - Fuel Pump | ER Downpipe | ER Chargepipe | BMS WMI Kit | KW V1 Suspension | Vorsteiner v-ff 103 | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
https://www.instagram.com/m3_blake

Last edited by EatMoreLobsters; 07-21-2017 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
bmw5858125.00
badbread279.00

      08-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
NYC_340i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: '16 340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb2027 View Post
What does the 340i xDrive 8AT with MPPSK and 19" 442 wheels with stock RFT run? All else stock.
Not quite what you asked but I have an essentially stock 340i xDrive 8AT with the staggered 400M on Continental ContiProContact all season RFT tires. Only mod is a midpipe but I doubt there is anything that will improve other than possible a little weight savings lol.

Last weekend during Bimmerfest East 2017 I consistently ran between 12.89 to 12.96 using sport+ mode and launch control. Pretty impressed but I can't wait to get an intake and JB4 to see better numbers. New wheels can help too but I still need to stick with all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 03:33 AM   #6
M4ENY
New Member
11
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 340i Xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb2027 View Post
Nice, and that's without MPPSK too
I have the exact 340i you are wondering about. Currently my odometer is 700km... I just need to be patient with the car for another 2300km.
Appreciate 1
N26Ghost421.50

      09-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
omgthedonny
Private
omgthedonny's Avatar
19
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: 340i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
Not quite what you asked but I have an essentially stock 340i xDrive 8AT with the staggered 400M on Continental ContiProContact all season RFT tires. Only mod is a midpipe but I doubt there is anything that will improve other than possible a little weight savings lol.

Last weekend during Bimmerfest East 2017 I consistently ran between 12.89 to 12.96 using sport+ mode and launch control. Pretty impressed but I can't wait to get an intake and JB4 to see better numbers. New wheels can help too but I still need to stick with all seasons.
How do you use launch control ?

I have a 340i with MPPSK and I'm trying to figure out how to launch the car I tried putting it in sport+ holding the break and rev to 2k and let go but it takes off slow for the first second then it goes hard, is there anyway to get the boost right off the bat ?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
NYC_340i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
59
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: '16 340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgthedonny View Post
How do you use launch control ?

I have a 340i with MPPSK and I'm trying to figure out how to launch the car I tried putting it in sport+ holding the break and rev to 2k and let go but it takes off slow for the first second then it goes hard, is there anyway to get the boost right off the bat ?
I just do what you mentioned. Sport + mode with shifter in sport mode. Pressing both the brake and accelerator until the checkered flag comes up in the instrument cluster. I wish the launch rpm was set higher for xDrive models.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
Pr3dict
Private First Class
29
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: '17 340
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
I just do what you mentioned. Sport + mode with shifter in sport mode. Pressing both the brake and accelerator until the checkered flag comes up in the instrument cluster. I wish the launch rpm was set higher for xDrive models.
Yeah no matter what kind of launch I do with 340i xdrive mppsk and dinan tune I always get that initial turbo lag. If it would pull from 0 that would be fantastic lol. Also, never get ANY tire spin.
Appreciate 1
zinner391.50

      11-26-2017, 01:58 AM   #10
ldvudi
Enlisted Member
22
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i xdrive M sport
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA SD

iTrader: (1)

I ran my 14 435i xdrive 8A at the track couple weeks ago and my best time was 12.6 @ 110 mph. Using the cars launch control, 1st gear spun a little. Mods are JB4 map 2 (91 oct) dp cp intake.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #11
KraigF30
Enlisted Member
20
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: F30 335D
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

My PB is a 12.100 @ 113 mph with an F30 335d xdrive with nothing more than an ecu tune. 385 bhp.

My average times are 12.1x @ 113-115 mph.

Average 1/8 mile time is 7.7-7.8 @ 90 mph.

0-60ft is typically high 1.7s.

0-60 on vbox is 3.9x (PB 3.84)
Appreciate 1
harkes666.50

      01-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #12
ceedawg
Major
ceedawg's Avatar
420
Rep
1,292
Posts

Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Big City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraigF30 View Post
My PB is a 12.100 @ 113 mph with an F30 335d xdrive with nothing more than an ecu tune. 385 bhp.

My average times are 12.1x @ 113-115 mph.

Average 1/8 mile time is 7.7-7.8 @ 90 mph.

0-60ft is typically high 1.7s.

0-60 on vbox is 3.9x (PB 3.84)
The monster Torque of the diesel is a plus. Impressive times.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
IssaF32
First Lieutenant
IssaF32's Avatar
United_States
121
Rep
366
Posts

Drives: 2014 428xi Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: San diego

iTrader: (0)

Most likely running between 12.7-13.2 with my 428xi
Since I put air craft Carrier lengths on stock 35i's
__________________
[Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth injection] [225cc Injector 50% Methanol Fuel] [Stage 2 fuel-it lpfp] [HCP Custom e60 AGG] [Bootmod3 All Ots Maps] [VRSF 4" Catless Downpipe] [Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe] [Wagner Competition EVO 1 FMIC] [Injen Cold Air intake] [NGK laser iridium .018] [Konig 18lb Race Wheels] [250lb Weight Reduction] [CF M4 style spoiler] [Gloss Black Kidney Grills]
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #14
ceedawg
Major
ceedawg's Avatar
420
Rep
1,292
Posts

Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Big City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5858 View Post
Well I've tried a couple way in first gear, didn't tried to launch from 2nd gear yet.. best time I could do was 13.34 at 105.9.. this is some shitty time haha
LOL I ran those times in my modded 95 E36 332i(had an M3 3.2l). You need to check you rear tire pressure also. You need to lower them 20psi or lower if you want a proper launch as well. in addition the front tires need at least 38psi. This is on a dragstrip.
__________________
2k15 335i Msport xdrive 6spd
Wagner Comp2 FMIC,FTP CP,stock exhaust. Fabspeed Sport catted DP, ACS springs. FBO BM3 Stg 2
Wish list Big Turbo kit Yes! PS2 Nope!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #15
cobra2814
Private
53
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 440i MPPSK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Piedmont, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
LOL I ran those times in my modded 95 E36 332i(had an M3 3.2l). You need to check you rear tire pressure also. You need to lower them 20psi or lower if you want a proper launch as well. in addition the front tires need at least 38psi. This is on a dragstrip.
Even on runflats?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #16
ceedawg
Major
ceedawg's Avatar
420
Rep
1,292
Posts

Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Big City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra2814 View Post
Even on runflats?
Run flats I could not tell ya!
__________________
2k15 335i Msport xdrive 6spd
Wagner Comp2 FMIC,FTP CP,stock exhaust. Fabspeed Sport catted DP, ACS springs. FBO BM3 Stg 2
Wish list Big Turbo kit Yes! PS2 Nope!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #17
BMW in NE
Private First Class
35
Rep
177
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New England

iTrader: (2)

Anyone figure out the trick to get a decent 60ft time on an automatic xDrive car? I have been to the track twice now in my Dinan S1 340i xDrive and am really disappointed with my ability to get a decent (1.8) 60ft! I have tried a couple different techniques (sport mode while holding the brake and about 1/2 throttle, Launch Control) and still struggle with getting decent 60fts. Anyone have any advice?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #18
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
DarkStarBimmer's Avatar
205
Rep
327
Posts

Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
I've found that if you brake boost or hold launch control too long before letting the off the brake your launch is going to suffer.

You wan't the boost to be building as you let go of the brake..when you sit there and hold it too long everything heats up and is when you really feel the turbo lag
__________________
2017 BSM 330i M-Sport 8AT/JB+/AFE intake
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:14 AM   #19
Jimi1121
Private
15
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2014 F30 M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Augusta GA

iTrader: (0)

ive got intake, MHD stage 2+ , catless DP and IC. Best ive been able to get is 13.5 @113-114. No wheelspin.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #20
ProjectBoost
Mod addict
ProjectBoost's Avatar
United_States
464
Rep
934
Posts

Drives: Black AWD N55
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi1121 View Post
ive got intake, MHD stage 2+ , catless DP and IC. Best ive been able to get is 13.5 @113-114. No wheelspin.
If you are trapping 113 there is no reason you should be in the mid 13's.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:19 AM   #21
B58
Captain
B58's Avatar
222
Rep
848
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i, 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: May 2018
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (0)

I use this and second gear manual mode

https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-downshift-blocker
__________________
| 2018 BMW 340i | M-Sport | Track Handling Package |
-
| 2011 BMW 335d |
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #22
philipmc
Enlisted Member
philipmc's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: LF F30 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
I use this and second gear manual mode

https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-downshift-blocker
This is exactly what I need.. I hate roll racing and having it kick down a gear
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST