F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Trans oil wouldn't take full amount
Extreme Powerhouse

03-07-2022, 08:28 AM   #1
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Trans oil wouldn't take full amount

So I decided to get the transmission oil changed whilst doing my annual engine oil flush last weekend.

Everything was fine until I came to filling the transmission oil, I managed to get around 2 bottles worth of fluid in before it spilled out.

I went back into the cabin, did the gear holding procedure of selecting drive, neutral, reverse and then manual gears. I went back under and got just about another bottle in.

Then I let the oil get up to temp, I believe it was at 51c. I then got around half a bottle to 3/4 of a bottle in before it was spilling out again. I also kept pumping fluid in to try and flush any old stuff that had mixed in with the new fluid.. (it was coming out a slightly darker colour). I also left it a few minutes before trying again but it definitely wouldn't accept anymore.

Everything runs perfect, first to second on cold starts is buttery smooth where as before it would kangaroo. However I'm worried that I've taken out around 5L in total (I measured it) and yet I've only managed to get around 3-4L back in.

Should I be concerned that I've removed more fluid than I put back in? I might give it a few days and try jack the car up on an angle to tip the pan the other way letting me add an extra litre in.

Fluids changed at 77k miles.