F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > F30 OR any 3,4,5,6,7 key retrofitted to X5M aftermarket key!!!
ARMA SPEED

03-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
ddemeo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Smile F30 OR any 3,4,5,6,7 key retrofitted to X5M aftermarket key!!!

I had been searching for months for a way to do this because my antenna in my 328i key started to go bad. As everyone in here probably knows BMW dealers quote well over $500 for a new key, and you get the same crappy plastic piece of junk. So I took it upon myself to find a way to retrofit an X5M key to my car, no programming, no $10,000 equipment, and it WORKED!! I've included a picture. Pretty much all that needs to happen is you need to purchase a key that has a mimic board to the one in your key. For example my key has a 315mhz huf5662. As long as that board matches, the chips with your ECU's programming will be the same exact chip. I took it to the nearest CPR cell phone repair in Charlotte, and the guy said he had done something similar before. We took the chip off of my old keys board and put it into the new aftermarket X5M key. Completely works absolutely no problems. This requires someone that does micro soldering and that is it. In total cost me $60 and I have a very nice new key. 100% worth it. Some things to note about this whole process

1. The key you are purchasing on eBay must show that it is for the purpose of converting your old BMW key style to the blade key style. Look at the link I have below. It shows that the purpose of the key is to program a 3 series key to it. But remember we're not doing any programming.
2. The best way to find what board your key has is to look up an OEM parts site. They will have the board listed as a part you can order. It would be an OEM BMW key and obviously would be blank. But, this isn't what we're going for. You're going to buy an aftermarket board with that same specification. It will be HUFxxxx.
3. I am not 100% sure that this works in every situation. But anyone with a 315mhz key with the huf5662 board can 100% buy the key right here below and take it to a microsodlering place and it will 100% work. Mine works perfect.
4. As a safeguard I'm this entire process, the best way to check if it will work is to see if the numbers on the chip on your board match the numbers of the chip on the new board, that is the key aspect of this whole thing. The chips must be exactly the same and the radio frequency must be exactly the same. In my case only the last digit is different and that's because my key didn't have a panic button but I got an aftermarket key that does have one. Didn't give me a problem at all.
5.The frequency of your key can be found on the bottom under the physical key slot. Just take your key out of the fob and it's right there. Make sure this matches!
6. If you have any questions or want my help just shoot me a PM I'd be glad to save anyone hundreds of dollars.

The attached images show everything I did and the numbers on the chips, also here's the link for the specific key I purchased.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153528175007

The black board is the new key, green board is the old one. It is very important that when you transfer the chip (The one circled in blue NOT RED), the dot on the chip is in the same exact spot on the key. Otherwise, this was so easy and I honestly can't believe it worked but it does. I hope this helps some people out. It really was worth it. The only other thing I didn't mention is you will have to actually cut your old key open to get to the board. But that won't matter once you have your new key!

Now I have seen some people try this and say they transferred both the chip circled in red and the one circled in blue. I only did the one in red. Another thing, the key I got had such a shitty battery in it that it was nearly dead when I got in my car the first time with it. So change the battery before you even do the swap. Otherwise it works like the old key minus the panic button because my car doesn't have a panic system.

DISCLAIMER: THIS WORKED FOR MY SPECIFIC KEY AND I CANNOT BE CERTAIN IT WILL WORK FOR YOURS. Please don't blame me if it doesn't work. This worked for me and I thought I'd share with everyone. Just match the chips and it should work as far as I know. This worked no problem at all for me.
Attached Images

Last edited by ddemeo; 03-06-2020 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 5
      03-12-2021, 06:09 AM   #2
qwertyuasdfghjkl
Canada
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i, F30 335i; E90 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemeo View Post
I had been searching for months for a way to do this because my antenna in my 328i key started to go bad. As everyone in here probably knows BMW dealers quote well over $500 for a new key, and you get the same crappy plastic piece of junk. So I took it upon myself to find a way to retrofit an X5M key to my car, no programming, no $10,000 equipment, and it WORKED!! I've included a picture. Pretty much all that needs to happen is you need to purchase a key that has a mimic board to the one in your key. For example my key has a 315mhz huf5662. As long as that board matches, the chips with your ECU's programming will be the same exact chip. I took it to the nearest CPR cell phone repair in Charlotte, and the guy said he had done something similar before. We took the chip off of my old keys board and put it into the new aftermarket X5M key. Completely works absolutely no problems. This requires someone that does micro soldering and that is it. In total cost me $60 and I have a very nice new key. 100% worth it. Some things to note about this whole process

1. The key you are purchasing on eBay must show that it is for the purpose of converting your old BMW key style to the blade key style. Look at the link I have below. It shows that the purpose of the key is to program a 3 series key to it. But remember we're not doing any programming.
2. The best way to find what board your key has is to look up an OEM parts site. They will have the board listed as a part you can order. It would be an OEM BMW key and obviously would be blank. But, this isn't what we're going for. You're going to buy an aftermarket board with that same specification. It will be HUFxxxx.
3. I am not 100% sure that this works in every situation. But anyone with a 315mhz key with the huf5662 board can 100% buy the key right here below and take it to a microsodlering place and it will 100% work. Mine works perfect.
4. As a safeguard I'm this entire process, the best way to check if it will work is to see if the numbers on the chip on your board match the numbers of the chip on the new board, that is the key aspect of this whole thing. The chips must be exactly the same and the radio frequency must be exactly the same. In my case only the last digit is different and that's because my key didn't have a panic button but I got an aftermarket key that does have one. Didn't give me a problem at all.
5.The frequency of your key can be found on the bottom under the physical key slot. Just take your key out of the fob and it's right there. Make sure this matches!
6. If you have any questions or want my help just shoot me a PM I'd be glad to save anyone hundreds of dollars.

The attached images show everything I did and the numbers on the chips, also here's the link for the specific key I purchased.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153528175007

The black board is the new key, green board is the old one. It is very important that when you transfer the chip (The one circled in blue NOT RED), the dot on the chip is in the same exact spot on the key. Otherwise, this was so easy and I honestly can't believe it worked but it does. I hope this helps some people out. It really was worth it. The only other thing I didn't mention is you will have to actually cut your old key open to get to the board. But that won't matter once you have your new key!

Now I have seen some people try this and say they transferred both the chip circled in red and the one circled in blue. I only did the one in red. Another thing, the key I got had such a shitty battery in it that it was nearly dead when I got in my car the first time with it. So change the battery before you even do the swap. Otherwise it works like the old key minus the panic button because my car doesn't have a panic system.

DISCLAIMER: THIS WORKED FOR MY SPECIFIC KEY AND I CANNOT BE CERTAIN IT WILL WORK FOR YOURS. Please don't blame me if it doesn't work. This worked for me and I thought I'd share with everyone. Just match the chips and it should work as far as I know. This worked no problem at all for me.
Hey your new key looks awesome! Im waiting on delivery to try the same process and i had a question, you mentioned when transfering the chip circled in blue, that the dot must match, however later you mentioned you only transfered the chip circled in red, and not the blue.

Do you mean you only transfered the long blue chip? Thanks
Appreciate 0