F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > More affordable, California legal, Semi-warranty friendly tune?
GetBMWParts

05-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
Rep
Drives: "Rising Sun" F30 335i

More affordable, California legal, Semi-warranty friendly tune?

Hey guys. I've done a lot in terms of cosmetics with my car, and now instead of dumping my money into the "show," I want to dabble a bit into the "go" side of things. The only real performance mod I have on my F30 335i is a Borla Exhaust. Everything else is very stock.

What I'm looking for is a tune/intake combo that won't screw my warranty. I've seen the Dinan Sport piggyback for around $300 and it's pretty interesting to me. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with that product?

And also, I'm looking to upgrade my intake as well. Will the Dinan one void my drivetrain warranty? Or are there any other, cheaper, ones that are warranty friendly?

Really I'm just trying to get a few more horses out of my engine without having to worry about my chargepipe just yet. That's for the future

Any words or advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Lego864
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 x5 35d, 11 335d

I would definitely invest in charge pipe first. It's known to fail even under stock conditions. No point risking being stuck on the side of the road and without a car over a couple hundred bucks IMO.

I run a jb4 since my warranty expired a couple months ago. So can't really help you out with a warranty friendly tune advice. I haven't had any issues with jb4 and it has alot of cool features along with solid performance gains.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Rennyk.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzlopez13 View Post
Hey guys. I've done a lot in terms of cosmetics with my car, and now instead of dumping my money into the "show," I want to dabble a bit into the "go" side of things. The only real performance mod I have on my F30 335i is a Borla Exhaust. Everything else is very stock.

What I'm looking for is a tune/intake combo that won't screw my warranty. I've seen the Dinan Sport piggyback for around $300 and it's pretty interesting to me. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with that product?

And also, I'm looking to upgrade my intake as well. Will the Dinan one void my drivetrain warranty? Or are there any other, cheaper, ones that are warranty friendly?

Really I'm just trying to get a few more horses out of my engine without having to worry about my chargepipe just yet. That's for the future

Any words or advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Any tune can lead to your warranties being voided. Any mod can result in your car being flagged. Period. There's no such thing as a modification that is warranty friendly. The best thing any person on this forum will tell you, is you gotta pay to play.
      05-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
The only tune available where there's no question about warranty is BMW's M-Performance Power Kit (MPPK). Everything else could result in a denial of warranty coverage for a specific issue that could be influenced by the presence of an aftermarket tune or component. Nothing will completely void your warranty - that's a common myth that doesn't seem to go away on this forum.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0