F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Another Brexit Thread
proTUNING Freaks
View Poll Results: If you knew last year what you know now, would your vote be:
Brexit then and still Brexit 31 32.29%
Remain then and still Remain 51 53.13%
Brexit then, but Remain now 7 7.29%
Remain then, but Brexit now 7 7.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

10-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Another Brexit Thread

I'm genuinely curious to see if there has been much movement in the support for Brexit?

In principle I was in favour most of the reasons for Brexit, but voted remain because I didn't think we had the politicians to handle it. The last few months have made me move from "remain, but only just", to "definitely remain".

This place was definitely pro Brexit, but with some saying it was a marginal decision. Just interested to see if any of those have now moved to just the other side.

I'm not suggesting there should ever be another referendum, or saying anyone made a wrong decision, on either side. Just genuinely curious to see if the nature of the negotiations and the general election has changed anything at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Ps. For this poll and thread to stand a chance of not being shut down or locked, I won't participate in any of the "healthy discussion" it may or may not provoke.

Just going to have the occasional nosey at the poll if anyone chooses to fill it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Well, looks like I've cast the first vote !

I was borderline Brexit before the vote, but voted for it, and I am still pretty much in the same position. The more I read about the attitude of the Europeans towards the UK the more my perceptions are that the UK is regarded as a cash cow rather than a business partner. On that basis it's a classic double-edged sword : pay if you stay, pay if you leave.

If the stance of the Europeans moved to a much more conciliatory and mutually business orientated approach, true reform which reflected the rapidly escalating demands for national sovereignty from several countries in the EU bloc, I'd be very inclined to remain.

Based on what I've seen so far, including a very generous financial offer from the UK and a very arrogant response from the other nations, I haven't changed my mind. IMO better a hard deal than being drawn ever-closer into a federalised money pit.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
Ps. For this poll and thread to stand a chance of not being shut down or locked, I won't participate in any of the "healthy discussion" it may or may not provoke.

Just going to have the occasional nosey at the poll if anyone chooses to fill it out.
Man-up Alex
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Well, looks like I've cast the first vote !

I was borderline Brexit before the vote, but voted for it, and I am still pretty much in the same position. The more I read about the attitude of the Europeans towards the UK the more my perceptions are that the UK is regarded as a cash cow rather than a business partner. On that basis it's a classic double-edged sword : pay if you stay, pay if you leave.

If the stance of the Europeans moved to a much more conciliatory and mutually business orientated approach, true reform which reflected the rapidly escalating demands for national sovereignty from several countries in the EU bloc, I'd be very inclined to remain.

Based on what I've seen so far, including a very generous financial offer from the UK and a very arrogant response from the other nations, I haven't changed my mind. IMO better a hard deal than being drawn ever-closer into a federalised money pit.
Don't think your vote is showing in the poll?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmm, tried again.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Hmm, tried again.
Showing now, wouldn't want the vote to be innacurate.

No vote rigging and no fake news.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Just found a poll on here from before the referendum, the result wasn't pro Brexit as I incorrectly stated. It was 57% remain, 37% Brexit and 6% unsure.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 01:33 AM   #9
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

So far this poll proves that...........Remain voters get up earlier than Leave voters
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      10-04-2017, 02:22 AM   #10
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

I was remain and still am. That doesn't mean I want another referendum, just what I'd do if the clock were turned back.

Over recent months there have been lots of comments from members more economically literate than me, making good arguments for why we will be better off outside. I hope they are right.

My concerns were and still are that a) our government will get squashed by the EU machine in negotiations, b) the whole exercise feels like it's unpicking the post-war, anti-nationalist compact, which I think is very sad and possibly dangerous.

Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 02:39 AM   #11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

I don't think we have seen enough development on either side of the fence to really change our positions?

I was and am remain, but, as the will for the ppl, we are leaving, if this proves to be the best thing for the UK I will happily say I was wrong.

And those who wanted to leave haven't seen the advantages they were promised yet to say it worked or otherwise.

Right now there is just a bunch of over paid Muppets arguing over who gets the curtains and who takes the DVDs.

I think given the magnitude of this shift it will be 20 years before we really see the impact of this decision on the country in perspective to the other current world events & climate.
      10-04-2017, 03:42 AM   #12
Herr Dreier
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G31 540i Xdrive

Agree with comments above. I voted remain before, after seriously considering all options, mainly because of the collaboration with EU institutions (Sciences, etc) rather than any financial reasons. I hate the way that we are treated by the EU, and the negotiations have made this worse. However, for me, this is only just outweighed by the advantages.

Therefore, I'm still just on the remain side of the fence for my original reasons, albeit happy to be proved wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 03:47 AM   #13
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
So far this poll proves that...........Remain voters get up earlier than Leave voters
I think it's just taken the Brexit voters a bit longer to understand how to vote
Appreciate 1
mcoops1757.00
      10-04-2017, 04:32 AM   #14
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
This may have some academic interest, but of course by 29.03.2019 we will have left the EU. Given the EU's intransigence, it may well be before then!
I may be wrong, but have you mentioned this before?

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:42 AM   #15
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

IMO relationship irrecoverably damaged, so I?m remain then, brexit now (basically we?ve f?d ourselves, so have no choice but to follow through)

Also if there was any sort of about turn, the loony brigade would tear the country apart.

Now, if we could wind back the clock to last year, I would still be a very firm remain.
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2017, 05:45 AM   #16
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

I've gone with remain --> brexit

Only because it's happening and pi$$ing and whining about it won't change that fact
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:58 AM   #17
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

I voted remain - but regret it. EU's dealing with the negotiations and constant whining from Brussels has proved to me that we were in fact right to leave them. I am eager and excited to leave now, I think it will be good for us and good for the remaining 27 who will now make sure the EU is fairer for them.
LobB5109.00
Gixerste191.00
      10-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #18
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I changed my mind several times in the run-up to the vote. Concern about the possible economic impact very nearly had me as a Remainer but in the end my fundamental dislike of the workings of the EU - together with the fact I don't share their vision for a United States of Europe - pushed me to vote Brexit.

I can't say I'm overjoyed at the way things have gone since and personally I don't think the general election fiasco has helped as effectively it gave more power and influence to people who want to obstruct and frustrate the Brexit process. However, if I could wind the clock back I don't think I'd alter the way I voted.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #19
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
I've gone with remain --> brexit

Only because it's happening and pi$$ing and whining about it won't change that fact
Isn't the question a hypothetical what would you do if you could go back in time? So the fact that it is actually happening is irrelevant to the question, so I think based on what you say in your post, you should have voted remain > remain
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #20
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

So, as far as this forum is concerned, nothing has really changed. Most people would vote the same.

And an equal number, 3 up to now, have changed in both directions.

As each day goes by, my personal decision gets firmer. Watching Theresa May yesterday and then imagining her leading our negotiations fills me with dread. Our Brexit future is still full of "hope" and "optimism". Hope and optimism are not strategies, more emotions.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 10-05-2017 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #21
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

For the first time, I felt (a bit) sorry for Theresa May yesterday. I think she?s supremely unqualified for the job of PM, but what happened to her yesterday wasn?t material to that discussion. Wobbly fixtures and fittings, having a cold and being pranked are just bad luck. Agree the speech was pants though.

Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #22
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
For the first time, I felt (a bit) sorry for Theresa May yesterday. I think she?s supremely unqualified for the job of PM, but what happened to her yesterday wasn?t material to that discussion. Wobbly fixtures and fittings, having a cold and being pranked are just bad luck. Agree the speech was pants though.
I think it was definitely material. If she wasn't a poor/unpopular Prime Minister she wouldn't be being pranked in the first place and she'd be able to compose herself better.....plus she wouldn't have so many critics in her party and in the media so eager to attack.

The unfortunate set of circumstances and the reactions that she had and the ones everyone else had were material to me.
Appreciate 1
antjos1184.00