F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help me diagnose timing chain issue? (Random low oil pressure warnings)
ARMA SPEED

09-06-2020, 11:07 PM   #1
AvgJoe
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3 6SP

Help me diagnose timing chain issue? (Random low oil pressure warnings)

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me diagnose if I've got the timing chain issue on my N26. I got the car at 107k miles and for a while I'd get random low oil pressure warnings. After a restart of the car, it would be gone, and it's been gone for months now. I got my car serviced at BMW for an oil leak now at 147k where they replaced the vacuum pump which was leaking, and the low oil pressure warnings came back after that.

I get them during mid-high RPMs going uphill or downhill, maybe one time (the last time) it was on flat ground. I read up it may be linked to the timing chain, so I recorded a video and I want some help diagnosing since I'm not confident I can diagnose it alone (I'm new to mechanic-ing)

Comparing it to this post:

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07...g-chain-issue/

My Video:

I appreciate the help guys, thanks! If you need any more videos let me know.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 11:14 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
It would be a good idea to check the chain for slack through the oil cap. Some play is normal.

You can also lightly prod the guides with a screw driver to see if there's any movement. Should be relatively solid unless cracked or broken in some way.

You'll want to perform these checks with the oil warm and hopefully some oil pressure remaining in the system. If cold, there wont be as much tension on the chain from tensioner which could lead you thinking its got too much play when it actually does not.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The only connection between the timing chain and oil pressure is if the timing chain breaks it will usually cause the oil pump chain to break as well. When a timing chain and guide are replaced the oil chain and guide are usually replaced at the same time as the added cost is relatively negligible.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Adding to above...

It is common for people with failed timing chain components to experience low oil pressure warnings. This is caused pieces of guide breaking off and settling around the oil pickup (which is only about an inch in diameter). If this passage becomes blocked the engine will be starved of oil and fail to maintain proper oil pressure.
Appreciate 0