F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need advise f36 piggyback vs flash tunes
proTUNING Freaks

04-13-2021, 05:10 PM   #23
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride4life12 View Post
Installed it yesterday. So far so good. Car still runs really smooth on Eco and Comfort mode. When switching over to Sport plus you can feel it a little. Saw about 30-35 HP increase. I do not push it very often but when I need it, it is really there. I can’t wait to get exhaust. It seems AWE and REMUS are both about 4-6 weeks out. I was looking for something sooner but all good things come to those who wait, I guess. I really like the AWE exhaust.
Look into the dual resonator delete (aka dinan midpipes). Was considering this plus AA catted downpipe
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #24
BMW in NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxmplex View Post
Yes, but you’ve still broken your warranty. You just lie about it. People who prefer piggyback over flashing for warranty purposes are silly. Removing the piggyback or resetting the flash is the same thing. Most of this stems from when flashes couldn’t revert back to stock without traces, but they can now.
Well one of the reasons I went with Dinan is because I was able to use Dinan's matching warranty if I had any issues. I'm not lying about anything..there's full transparency when I bring my car to the dealer with the piggyback still attached. At the same time, the car isn't instantly flagged with BMW and the warranty voided. In the event there's an issue, the dealership still has some flexibility to use common sense when using warranty to repair certain items vs. BMW corporate denying all warranty claims with a blanket statement.

An example: I had a slight "miss" at idle. Brought the car in and it was diagnosed as a cracked spark plug. This is a known issue on these cars and it was repaired under BMW warranty. If my car had been flagged for DME tampering, BMW would have denied the claim stating that the tune had caused the crack.

As far as the the application of a civil tort vs. a criminal complaint in this situation... let me guess... you are taking a business law class while getting your bachelors degree? Come back and visit this thread after you pass the bar and read how ridiculous your post sounds.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #25
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW in NE View Post
Well one of the reasons I went with Dinan is because I was able to use Dinan's matching warranty if I had any issues. I'm not lying about anything..there's full transparency when I bring my car to the dealer with the piggyback still attached. At the same time, the car isn't instantly flagged with BMW and the warranty voided. In the event there's an issue, the dealership still has some flexibility to use common sense when using warranty to repair certain items vs. BMW corporate denying all warranty claims with a blanket statement.

An example: I had a slight "miss" at idle. Brought the car in and it was diagnosed as a cracked spark plug. This is a known issue on these cars and it was repaired under BMW warranty. If my car had been flagged for DME tampering, BMW would have denied the claim stating that the tune had caused the crack.

As far as the the application of a civil tort vs. a criminal complaint in this situation... let me guess... you are taking a business law class while getting your bachelors degree? Come back and visit this thread after you pass the bar and read how ridiculous your post sounds.
Yup, that guy sounds like an idiot. He thinks he knows what he is talking about because he knows what ISTA is. I am not going to argue right vs wrong about how BMW voids warranties with a stranger on the internet.

"Lying" / "Fraud" by trying to preserve a warranty if you have a tune? Give me a break man. You are on an enthusiast website not an SA / BMW mechanic training center.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #26
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW in NE View Post

Yup, that guy sounds like an idiot. He thinks he knows what he is talking about because he knows what ISTA is. I am not going to argue right vs wrong about how BMW voids warranties with a stranger on the internet.

"Lying" / "Fraud" by trying to preserve a warranty if you have a tune? Give me a break man. You are on an enthusiast website not an SA / BMW mechanic training center.
lol. He seems to be the self appointed morality police. And yep, best to just ignore people that are so dogmatic.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:11 AM   #27
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxmplex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Listen, I mean no offense to this but judging from everything you said you are far from correct. I am not going to sit here and explain to you why you tuning your car isn't "fraud" and that "resetting the DME flash counter to 0" is even a concept that occurs when tuning your car. Go over the posts above and read about how the JB+ works, why tuning a motor vehicle that you own is not "considered fraud", and how ISTA flags vehicles that have suspected motor tuning.
The fact that you don't know about the DME counter just tells me you're not familiar with recent developments for flashing. The software that flags you at the dealership looks at your bin version, and also looks to see if the DME has installed a new bin. This is what the counter is. There's tons of other checks that people have figured out on top of this.

If you read your warranty you'd know that attaching a JB voids your warranty. If it doesn't void your warranty then show up to the dealership with the JB still installed and let me know how that goes for you.

Removing the piggyback doesn't mean you didn't lose your warranty, you already violated the warranty. Removing the piggyback while simultaneously claiming you had not altered your car beyond the terms set forth in the warranty is quite literally fraud. Do they care? No. Are you fraudulently telling them that you have not modified the car? Yes.

You mistake a civil tort with a criminal complaint. I'm not saying the cops are coming for you for "fraud". I'm saying that you open yourself to liability over doing so. If you manage to blow up your engine with JB (which should basically be impossible to do so), you can't suddenly remove the JB and then go make a warranty claim.

You should also email BM3 and MHD and tell them how the flash counter isn't real, I'm sure they'd love to know that! It's not like they specifically started doing this after ISTAs update in 2020 which began to flag cars that had been flashed back to stock. That didn't happen, it's all made up, right?

Go call your local dealership and ask them if you void your warranty when you install a JB. Let me know what they say. Also google "ista flash counter".
Dude get lost. No one here gives two shits about the ethics of hiding their use of a flash or piggy back. Unless a problem covered by warranty is directly attributable to the mod, it's not even an ethical issue anyway.