F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Holiday Traffic Light System
proTUNING Freaks

05-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #45
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Maybe that is called learning a lesson?

We seem to be ahead of most in terms of looking for other versions of the virus - and when you see what impact a new mutation can have (the Kent version, the Indian version) then I'd say stopping the international spread is key to getting back to normality - that might need us to know that boosters will pick off new variants without too much trouble.

I'll happily wait another year to go abroad than have another lockdown come October....after all we havent even opened yet!

Not just about holidays people have family overseas and vaccinations were sold as the way out. Messaging has been pretty poor the entire year and yes no one wants another lockdown for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:39 AM   #46
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Not just about holidays people have family overseas and vaccinations were sold as the way out. Messaging has been pretty poor the entire year and yes no one wants another lockdown for sure.
I get that, some of my team havent seen their wider family (and in one case, parents and siblings) for nearly 18 months! I think comms is a challenge as they dont have a rule book and are making it up (in a nice way) as they go along....

Lets hope today and 5 weeks are good steps forward...
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      05-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #47
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Hopefully everything will have calmed down a bit by the time the school holidays come about and some more travel will be allowed. We're still planning on going to France assuming it's allowed the same as we did last year. Looking back at the pictures of where we stayed compared to the UK tourist areas, I think there's less chance of catching and spreading it by going there than trying to go somewhere on this overcrowded island.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 11:10 AM   #48
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
Hopefully everything will have calmed down a bit by the time the school holidays come about and some more travel will be allowed. We're still planning on going to France assuming it's allowed the same as we did last year. Looking back at the pictures of where we stayed compared to the UK tourist areas, I think there's less chance of catching and spreading it by going there than trying to go somewhere on this overcrowded island.
Seems like some time in June other counties will open up.

I have to agree with you last year when i was in Germany it felt a lot better than here. They were wearing masks way before us France also....of course things have changed around a lot since then but i suspect things will catch up alot, and with the warmer weather coming etc.

Germany vaccinated 1.1m people in 1 day the other week...they will get their act together soon enough. Cant blame UK Govt for being cautious but i still think you cant base policy on a "What if". Otherwise we will never get back and travel sector which works both ways incoming and outgoing is a big part of the economy.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #49
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
I get that, some of my team havent seen their wider family (and in one case, parents and siblings) for nearly 18 months! I think comms is a challenge as they dont have a rule book and are making it up (in a nice way) as they go along....

Lets hope today and 5 weeks are good steps forward...
My parents are in Spain, and we've not seen them since December 2019, and still not sure what to do. Dad has been in and out of hospital the last few months, and when looking at emergency flights, bugger all options.

We've currently got a few campsites in the UK booked for the summer, tour of the north, and fortunately not much deposit spent, so options are still open. It's tough when the kids just want to know when they can see Nan and Grandad again......
Appreciate 2
mikeoz2856.00
isleaiw18762.00
      05-10-2021, 12:49 PM   #50
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
My parents are in Spain, and we've not seen them since December 2019, and still not sure what to do. Dad has been in and out of hospital the last few months, and when looking at emergency flights, bugger all options.

We've currently got a few campsites in the UK booked for the summer, tour of the north, and fortunately not much deposit spent, so options are still open. It's tough when the kids just want to know when they can see Nan and Grandad again......
Seem to be a lot of people planning to fly to Portugal and drive over border from what iv been hearing...will be expensive and cant condone it but this is the problem they will have now..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #51
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Seem to be a lot of people planning to fly to Portugal and drive over border from what iv been hearing...will be expensive and cant condone it but this is the problem they will have now..
as long as they isolate at home when they get back....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #52
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57256859

Not looking great for road trips...
I still think/hope that things will rapidly change in next 2 weeks or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #53
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Incoming issues have been the bain of my life today, and people allegedly trying to find ways to circumvent rules that exist for a bloody good reason as they are selfish and dont give a toss about anyone else...

Good, glad I got that off my chest.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 03:09 PM   #54
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Incoming issues have been the bain of my life today, and people allegedly trying to find ways to circumvent rules that exist for a bloody good reason as they are selfish and dont give a toss about anyone else...

Good, glad I got that off my chest.
I guess that's at your hotels?
      05-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #55
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I guess that's at your hotels?
One hotel..... one booking, multiple stories about where some had flown in from. Or should we say where they started their journey and not the last leg....
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #56
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
One hotel..... one booking, multiple stories about where some had flown in from. Or should we say where they started their journey and not the last leg....
I guess you are being a lot more responsible than some hotels out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #57
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I guess you are being a lot more responsible than some hotels out there.
Some might say too responsible but I dont fancy being the one in court answering awkward questions so if we arent sure we turn it down....
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      06-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #58
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Well yesterday was a total mess. Communication was awful and Travel Ind left shocked...
Meanwhile rest of Europe is moving forward with summer travel unlock.

France is allowing anyone from outside EU who has proof of vaccination to travel as of 9th June.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #59
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

If they wanted to they could make it easier, the Gov just doesn't want to. Risk of a varient is one thing as they got paned for not shutting borders to India earlier but they also want your shiny UK pound being spent in the UK...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #60
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
If they wanted to they could make it easier, the Gov just doesn't want to. Risk of a varient is one thing as they got paned for not shutting borders to India earlier but they also want your shiny UK pound being spent in the UK...
Pretty much yes. Bit unfair on the people working in travel by, moving the goal posts. They have now made a political decision to try and get a good result for 21st June. Obviously we all want the 21st but changing things with out notice and then promising not to repeat the chaos of last summer by giving at least 1 week notice of traffic light change and now failing to do that ...

Portugal will look like the last chopper out of Saigon now.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #61
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

We're seeing exactly what we thought would happen. A green country suddenly losing that status and buggering up people's holidays. I guess this farce will continue all summer.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #62
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
We're seeing exactly what we thought would happen. A green country suddenly losing that status and buggering up people's holidays. I guess this farce will continue all summer.
Only if you were optimistic enough to book when the world is still gripped by a highly transmissible virus.... guess that means most won’t have seen any change
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #63
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Only if you were optimistic enough to book when the world is still gripped by a highly transmissible virus.... guess that means most won’t have seen any change
The issue is that many people are utilising bookings or flights carried forwards from previous years. Many airlines gave out vouchers, TUI for example are insistent that your holiday will go ahead if its green, however if it changes to amber the headache is yours not theirs.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #64
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
The issue is that many people are utilising bookings or flights carried forwards from previous years. Many airlines gave out vouchers, TUI for example are insistent that your holiday will go ahead if its green, however if it changes to amber the headache is yours not theirs.
Well Tui are shisters, we eventually took the cash last year and won’t book with them again.

Come to London for a nice break, come midweek and I will sort you a fab deal
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      06-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #65
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well Tui are shisters, we eventually took the cash last year and won’t book with them again.

Come to London for a nice break, come midweek and I will sort you a fab deal
Likewise took the money. Shoulda / woulda been Maldives arriving yesterday.
That said I booked during the pandemic, their facebook complaints page has been meltdown central for months. Much displaced loyalty boostered by Incentives until they suddenly changed their T & C's .

Will give you a bell if we need to visit the smoke
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      06-05-2021, 12:15 AM   #66
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

We just spend a week in north Devon, I have to say I didn't realise just how much stuff there is to see/do just in England alone.

I'm pretty happy not been ramed on to a plane, flying for hours to Europe to essentially see/do the same thing. Also an actual excuse to use the car!! Though M5 service stations stuffed fully of kids+desperate parents isn't exactly relaxing.

Appreciate 4
mikeoz2856.00
rich100874.50
G50954.50