F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Just ordered a 128ti
GetBMWParts

05-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #67
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside View Post
Thanks all.
How's the smile-o-meter..??

Hope you are having some fun in the car... and, hmm, I wonder.... have you managed to get a couple more pictures...????

Would love to hear how you are getting on and how your thoughts on the car are developing... I really must try and drive one sometime to see how it compares directly to my Golf...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:19 AM   #68
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Mk8 Gti vs 128ti

05-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #69
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Mk8 Gti vs 128ti

VIDEO LINK WAS HERE
When I bought my Golf there was not the 128… and the Golf certainly fitted into a good price slot… with a lot of smiles-per-£ potential…

But I think the 128 has now challenged the GTI head on in that slot and brought in the BMW touches and feel, which is simply highlighting where the Golfs have gone in respect of trim etc… Interestingly, I think this is basically what this extended ad for Carwow is saying…

Performance wise, they are really similar, but he seems to really like how the BMW drives… but the sorts of things he describes the BMW as being when driving, sound rather like my Mk7.5 Golf… Like maybe the Mk8 Golf has lost something from the Mk7.5..?

Having said that, my Golf is not on adaptive dampers… Like the BMW in the test…

I was hemming and hawing between 128 and 135... In the end, I went for 135, for various reasons, but I think I could have been happy either way... I think the F40 one series is really a win for BMW... My folks have a 118i Sport, and it's lovely...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      05-08-2021, 03:59 AM   #70
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
How's the smile-o-meter..??

Hope you are having some fun in the car... and, hmm, I wonder.... have you managed to get a couple more pictures...????

Would love to hear how you are getting on and how your thoughts on the car are developing... I really must try and drive one sometime to see how it compares directly to my Golf...
Great fun thanks and it has put the joy back into driving again. I went from my F30 to a VW Tiguan, which although was a nice car to be in, it was a bit bland and unexciting to say the least. I’ve got just over 300 miles on it at the moment so still taking it easy. I’m loving driving the car and still smiling, we took a run up to Kielder last week in the wind and rain, which was perfect as we only came across three or four cars on the run, everyone decided to stay at home that day for a change!

The car was superb on the twisties and firm but comfortable on the journey. Lovely being able to use the three drive modes and even did 10 miles in Eco Pro which my 320i was downright dangerous in. Probably the only time it will be in Eco Pro for the rest of its time with me though. I was a bit worried about the size of fuel tank at 50 litres (and that’s the larger one) but on my first tank it looks like I’ll get a range of about 360 miles, car indicating 33mpg since I picked it up. As it loosens up this should improve as well, depending on how much welly I give it. Performance wise I’m still not taking the revs high but the power comes in well and it can certainly shift along nicely. Pulls like a train going up hills, which is nice and plenty confidence for overtaking.

The cabin is a nice place to be and certainly feels a step up from my VW, except for the door bins which are unlined, meaning stuff like my glasses case and ice scraper can rattle about. Nice also that the lane assist can now be turned off and the setting remembered as others have complained theirs reactivates on each restart (now sorted by a software update I’m told) Dash layout and screen are really good and I love the HUD, hardly need to take your eyes off the road.

Harmon Kardon is good, but not as good as the F30 HK, although I think even in the 300 miles I can hear a difference in it. I would say it is a must though as the std system would be pretty ordinary if this is the premium sound!

Played with reverse assistant the other day to show my wife the car reversing off the drive and onto the road for 50m and it’s pretty impresssive. She was gobsmacked and it’s something I think she would use from time to time as her reversing is crap. Adaptive LED’s are superb and better than the ones on my VW, which were excellent also

The weather here has been heavy rain, sleet and even a good inch of hail on Thursday so the car is still dirty and needs a good clean so no real chance of good photos. Here’s one I took at my mothers the other day about 30mins before the hail thundered down. I’ll get some others once the blooming weather improves. I’ve still got to hardwire my dashcam which is also on the list for the next decent day.

I’d like to hear your thoughts on the drive compared to your Golf, last one I had was a mk6 GTI and it’s streets ahead of it although I know the mk7.5 and mk8 will run it much much closer. You’re going to love your M135i though, when’s it due?
Attached Images

Last edited by Hartside; 05-08-2021 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
JD64263.50
G50932.00
      05-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #71
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I’d like to hear your thoughts on the drive compared to your Golf, last one I had was a mk6 GTI and it’s streets ahead of it although I know the mk7.5 and mk8 will run it much much closer. You’re going to love your M135i though, when’s it due?
Great to hear you are getting so much enjoyment out of having bought the car...

My GTI is a 245 Performance which means it has the 245hp engine, the 7 speed DSG and the fancy diff.. it is also on normal suspension, so I was imaging it might not feel dissimilar to the 128...

The 135 is due in about 6 weeks or so, assuming the build is not delayed by the computer chip shortage... But, as I type, everything looks more or less on schedule...
Appreciate 1
Hartside266.50
      05-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #72
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think you’re in luck having bought the M135i as on the models below it they are not, or potentially not supplying Harmon Kardon or the wireless charger due to chip shortages. Hopefully yours should be ok
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #73
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I think you’re in luck having bought the M135i as on the models below it they are not, or potentially not supplying Harmon Kardon or the wireless charger due to chip shortages. Hopefully yours should be ok
I'd not heard anything about this...

Well, if it turns up without some of the options I ordered, they can send it back...

To be honest, I can understand if there is a supplies issue, but I'd at least expect a call outlining what options we have if they are looking at changing what is available... Thing is, if they cannot supply the car as ordered then I don't have to take it and I don't have to let go of the Golf for another 12/18 months so can always do a deal later in the year if there is a problem...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #74
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

128 looks really to be a gti beater.

As a Tiguan 2019 230 owner there is no way I would change to the new facelift, VW are obviously on a penny pinching mission due to dieselgate as it’s very noticeable that all the latest models are a massive step backwards in terms of quality and components to save cash. A big seller for us of the Tiguan was the rear seat tray tables we use very often that they got rid of on the facelift. I won’t even go there about the god awful touch controls everywhere.

We’ll either be keeping the Tig which is great, or move brands, certainly won’t be owning another VW anytime soon.
Appreciate 1
Hartside266.50
      05-09-2021, 03:40 AM   #75
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'd not heard anything about this...

Well, if it turns up without some of the options I ordered, they can send it back...

To be honest, I can understand if there is a supplies issue, but I'd at least expect a call outlining what options we have if they are looking at changing what is available... Thing is, if they cannot supply the car as ordered then I don't have to take it and I don't have to let go of the Golf for another 12/18 months so can always do a deal later in the year if there is a problem...
Yours should be fine, it looks like only the models below the M135i that are going to be affected. I’ve got to say I wouldn’t have accepted mine either if it had been missing some of the spec I’d ordered.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #76
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post

As a Tiguan 2019 230 owner there is no way I would change to the new facelift, VW are obviously on a penny pinching mission due to dieselgate as it’s very noticeable that all the latest models are a massive step backwards in terms of quality and components to save cash. A big seller for us of the Tiguan was the rear seat tray tables we use very often that they got rid of on the facelift. I won’t even go there about the god awful touch controls everywhere.

We’ll either be keeping the Tig which is great, or move brands, certainly won’t be owning another VW anytime soon.
I agree, my goddaughter got a new Tiguan Elegance last month and it is definitely poorer quality inside than the SEL I had. As you say the controls are terrible, it feels cheaper inside and they have done away with the spare wheel and adjustable boot floor, just a cheap piece of felt mat on the floor pan meaning a big boot lip drop.
Appreciate 1
SkyJawa3716.00
      05-09-2021, 06:18 AM   #77
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yours should be fine, it looks like only the models below the M135i that are going to be affected.
Where did you read/hear this Hartside ..?

I did some searching online but didn't really find out all that much... Just the announced impacts on the Mini plant and the plant in Regensburg... Somebody mentioned the 135's are built in Leipzig, but I don't know if that is just some, or all of them...

Quote:
I’ve got to say I wouldn’t have accepted mine either if it had been missing some of the spec I’d ordered.
At the end of the day it is a contract and if they cannot deliver then I am not obligated to take whatever they can... I appreciate that they say spec can change in the brochure, but, nonetheless, when you sign up you sign up for the spec you ordered, right... I suppose I could read the small print and check...

I imagine they would be pretty hard nosed to try and hold you to it...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 06:24 AM   #78
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post

I agree with you about VW and how the current cars look/feel compared to the last ones...

Just in that video posted above, the seats look dreadful in the Golf, and that bit about the controls beneath the screen not being illuminated...

In fact, looking inside the Golf, with the ignition off, it looks very strange with mainly just the screens and the buttons on the steering wheel... Like doing away with lots of the buttons and switches has somehow sterilised the feel of the car inside... It looks soulless...
Appreciate 2
SkyJawa3716.00
Hartside266.50
      05-09-2021, 07:56 AM   #79
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I heard that some 128ti are being delivered with the digital cockpit as there is a shortage of the analogue dials (which I know is strange given the chip shortage) so people who hadn't spec'd it get it for free.
      05-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #80
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I heard that some 128ti are being delivered with the digital cockpit as there is a shortage of the analogue dials (which I know is strange given the chip shortage) so people who hadn't spec'd it get it for free.
I think what has happened there is that the latest updates to the 1 series range specifications have done away with the analog dials totally, so all new cars have the digital dash … so they built out the remaining supplies of analog dials and did not order more, so any remaining orders after they ran out had the digital dash instead…

The latest brochures show all models have the digital dash now..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      05-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #81
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, mine was ordered with the analogue dials and I got the digital cockpit as a no cost upgrade. It was £1000 extra when I ordered mine.

Quote:
Where did you read/hear this Hartside ..?
There was talk on BabyBMW about it and a memo that had been seen, M135i excluded as I mentioned. I think the M135i is built in Leipzig as you say DaveA

Also someone mentioning here on a G20 order:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1823747

Last edited by Hartside; 05-10-2021 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #82
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, mine was ordered with the analogue dials and I got the digital cockpit as a no cost upgrade. It was £1000 extra when I ordered mine.
I think they basically added £1k to all the base car prices and added it as a standard item from now on... So you got a free upgrade... which is awesome...

Whether or not it actually costs them £1k difference, who knows... even the analog dials are electronic really, as long gone are the days when they had a cable drive into them... My guess, it is simply cheaper overall to have one dash pack and fit it to everything...

Gosh, those were the days,... when the cable got worn and your speedo was going up and down in waves at a constant speed...

Quote:
There was talk on BabyBMW about it and a memo that had been seen, M135i excluded as I mentioned. I think the M135i is built in Leipzig as you say DaveA
Mine is still showing (just now) as due to start production w/c 31st May, which is only 3 weeks out now, and has not changed since I placed the order nearly 4 weeks ago now, so fingers crossed...

Delivery is anticipated w/c 21st June...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #83
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Also someone mentioning here on a G20 order:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1823747
I had a read through hat thread and, if I had to guess, I would guess that what BMW are doing is pushing what parts/chips they have got coming in onto certain models, so that their production is unaffected, and slowing up or adjusting other models accordingly, to fit what they can get and when… and I suspect that they are making judgement calls on what cars will be affected based on likely sales and factory runs…

I would question quite what the OP reports (in that thread) they were told about those options being “no longer available”, as, if you go onto the configurator now, you can still spec up that car as he ordered, and it still allows you to select those options…

If I was called like that about my car I would simply want to know whether our not this was a temporary thing or has the spec for the car changed overall, for good… Then make a decision as to whether to take the car with reduced spec (at a suitably reduced price) or wait for one to my desired spec…

Or do something different…

Of course, my contract says that in such circumstances the dealer can contact me and offer to make changes (either as a substitution or a price amendment), but that would then (in my opinion) require my acceptance and an amendment to become a part of the contract…

I don’t see, for instance, in my contract, that I am obliged to accept such changes, just that they are obliged to offer them… and without my accepting the changes, I do not think that they could then comply with the The Consumer Rights Act 2015 which says the goods have to be “as described” ie in accordance with your order… because the original specification would stand… (in my humble opinion of course)…

I doubt whether they would try and make you buy the car, but they would, I imagine, try and hold onto the deposit (which I would claim back under consumer rights)….

Of course, if you are up against a deadline limit with a finance agreement on your existing car, this could be an issue if you wanted to wait for one to be built to your spec…

I was reading that certain options were being discontinued in Australia, but not that an ordered car was delivered not to the order, just that you could not order a car with some items going forward…
Appreciate 1
Hartside266.50
      05-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #84
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Another quality review from Henry Catchpole.............

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 2
G50932.00
Hartside266.50
      06-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #85
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Curious to know how you feel about the car roughly a month in to ownership?

I keep toying with moving on my 335 and recon one of these might make a shortlist of replacements.

Quote:
Great fun thanks and it has put the joy back into driving again. I went from my F30 to a VW Tiguan, which although was a nice car to be in, it was a bit bland and unexciting to say the least. I’ve got just over 300 miles on it at the moment so still taking it easy. I’m loving driving the car and still smiling, we took a run up to Kielder last week in the wind and rain, which was perfect as we only came across three or four cars on the run, everyone decided to stay at home that day for a change!

The car was superb on the twisties and firm but comfortable on the journey. Lovely being able to use the three drive modes and even did 10 miles in Eco Pro which my 320i was downright dangerous in. Probably the only time it will be in Eco Pro for the rest of its time with me though. I was a bit worried about the size of fuel tank at 50 litres (and that’s the larger one) but on my first tank it looks like I’ll get a range of about 360 miles, car indicating 33mpg since I picked it up. As it loosens up this should improve as well, depending on how much welly I give it. Performance wise I’m still not taking the revs high but the power comes in well and it can certainly shift along nicely. Pulls like a train going up hills, which is nice and plenty confidence for overtaking.

The cabin is a nice place to be and certainly feels a step up from my VW, except for the door bins which are unlined, meaning stuff like my glasses case and ice scraper can rattle about. Nice also that the lane assist can now be turned off and the setting remembered as others have complained theirs reactivates on each restart (now sorted by a software update I’m told) Dash layout and screen are really good and I love the HUD, hardly need to take your eyes off the road.

Harmon Kardon is good, but not as good as the F30 HK, although I think even in the 300 miles I can hear a difference in it. I would say it is a must though as the std system would be pretty ordinary if this is the premium sound!

Played with reverse assistant the other day to show my wife the car reversing off the drive and onto the road for 50m and it’s pretty impresssive. She was gobsmacked and it’s something I think she would use from time to time as her reversing is crap. Adaptive LED’s are superb and better than the ones on my VW, which were excellent also

The weather here has been heavy rain, sleet and even a good inch of hail on Thursday so the car is still dirty and needs a good clean so no real chance of good photos. Here’s one I took at my mothers the other day about 30mins before the hail thundered down. I’ll get some others once the blooming weather improves. I’ve still got to hardwire my dashcam which is also on the list for the next decent day.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #86
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
Curious to know how you feel about the car roughly a month in to ownership?

I keep toying with moving on my 335 and recon one of these might make a shortlist of replacements.

1 month in and just shy of 800 miles on it now and still very, very satisfied. It’s settling in nicely and fuel consumption is very impressive with 40mpg easily achievable on a 16 mile run, mix of dual carriageway, A&B roads. Once run in and loosened off a long run should see pretty decent economy. Not taking it north of 4000 revs yet but plenty power available up to there when needed.

I’d certainly recommend a test drive as the ride will be firmer than your F30 but it is very sure footed. Cabin noise is pretty good for a small (ish) car. Nice thing for me was managing to keep it under £40k but still have good options added.

To sum up, it has brought the enjoyment back into my driving and I look for excuses to take the car out for a run!

Last edited by Hartside; 06-03-2021 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 3
Rbrown2763.00
cramsnik388.50
JD64263.50
      06-04-2021, 03:05 AM   #87
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
1 month in and just shy of 800 miles on it now and still very, very satisfied. It’s settling in nicely and fuel consumption is very impressive with 40mpg easily achievable on a 16 mile run, mix of dual carriageway, A&B roads. Once run in and loosened off a long run should see pretty decent economy. Not taking it north of 4000 revs yet but plenty power available up to there when needed.

I’d certainly recommend a test drive as the ride will be firmer than your F30 but it is very sure footed. Cabin noise is pretty good for a small (ish) car. Nice thing for me was managing to keep it under £40k but still have good options added.

To sum up, it has brought the enjoyment back into my driving and I look for excuses to take the car out for a run!
Thanks for this, much appreciated. I'd be coming from an F31 with acs springs and uprated sway bars so not sure the ride will be too much of a bother for me. I do a fair bit of motorway and A road mileage so that MPG sounds encouraging.

A couple of dealers close to me have cars in stock so I'll try and get a test drive, that said I'm not looking for a quick spin. I'm hoping I might be able to get an extended test drive if still available these days.
Appreciate 1
Hartside266.50
      06-04-2021, 03:24 AM   #88
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
Thanks for this, much appreciated. I'd be coming from an F31 with acs springs and uprated sway bars so not sure the ride will be too much of a bother for me. I do a fair bit of motorway and A road mileage so that MPG sounds encouraging.

A couple of dealers close to me have cars in stock so I'll try and get a test drive, that said I'm not looking for a quick spin. I'm hoping I might be able to get an extended test drive if still available these days.

You’re right, maybe not much difference in ride. Good luck with the test drive, hope it goes well
Appreciate 1
cramsnik388.50