F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Looking for real-world fuel economy after tune-only.
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
CXRS
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Subaru Outback
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Looking for real-world fuel economy after tune-only.

Hey guys! Does anyone have any before/after numbers for their 330i after tuning? I want to get into something a little more fuel conscious than my current car, and I'm torn between the 230i, 330i, and an S3.

It seems the S3's are turning some good numbers after tuning, likely thanks to the dct, but I'm a little more partial towards the 2/3 series. I'm mostly curious about tune only numbers for the B48 cars. Bonus points will be awarded to anyone who also has 1/4 and 60-130 times with ethanol involved. My current daily turns a 13 flat at 105, so I really don't want to sacrifice anything there if possible.

Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
f30nick
Private First Class
26
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: F30 328i 6MT/ E36 M3 5MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 Tesla Model 3  [0.00]
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXRS View Post
Hey guys! Does anyone have any before/after numbers for their 330i after tuning? I want to get into something a little more fuel conscious than my current car, and I'm torn between the 230i, 330i, and an S3.

It seems the S3's are turning some good numbers after tuning, likely thanks to the dct, but I'm a little more partial towards the 2/3 series. I'm mostly curious about tune only numbers for the B48 cars. Bonus points will be awarded to anyone who also has 1/4 and 60-130 times with ethanol involved. My current daily turns a 13 flat at 105, so I really don't want to sacrifice anything there if possible.

Thank you!
There tends to be a positive correlation between the tune and you flooring it all the time reducing mpg
__________________

Alpine White 12' F30 328i 6MT (SOLD)
Injen CAI | Bootmod3 Stage 1 | VRSF 5' Intercooler| Mishimoto Catch Can | 335i M Performance Exhaust | H&R Super Sports | HRE FF01 w/Hankook Ventus Evo2 | M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #3
xdrive_320i
Private
xdrive_320i's Avatar
37
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW 320i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'm also interested in MPG numbers on N2x cars after a Stage 1 tune! It would be especially interesting to see that result from someone who drives in Eco-Pro mode all the time like me, and only switches to Sport when they wanna hoon
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 06:59 AM   #4
CXRS
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Subaru Outback
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30nick View Post
There tends to be a positive correlation between the tune and you flooring it all the time reducing mpg
I know many do that, but I'm more curious about those like myself, who put down highway miles by the thousands a month, and have a little fun when they get to the backroads. If the mileage stays the same/sees a minor increase on the highway, then I would find myself leaning towards these cars. My goal is about 35-40mpg highway and mid 13s on 93, and very low 13s on flex.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
5176
Rep
11,274
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

In and of itself a tune will have little effect on fuel economy. It's driving habits that count. If you push the car harder with a tune than you did without it fuel use will go up.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
CXRS
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: Subaru Outback
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
In and of itself a tune will have little effect on fuel economy. It's driving habits that count. If you push the car harder with a tune than you did without it fuel use will go up.
I am aware of this, I am just curious what kind of mileage people are seeing with a tune. Are they getting 30 mpg city, and 40 highway? More/less? I know that tune's don't really affect fuel economy until you go with something like a very custom tune that takes advantage of 93-only fillups and add in some timing, which it kind of sounds like MGFlasher does. My ideal plan is a JB4, but I may go with MG if the car I buy is out of warranty already.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
sqwinny
Lieutenant
United_States
204
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Miami

iTrader: (2)

2013 6MT 328i (n20).

Stock it was around 25-30 mpg in "comfort"

Stage 1 it was a little better as throttle response was increased and i didnt need to use as much right root to get moving. lets go with 26-32.

Stage 2 right now it is around 24-34 depending if I am in stop and go traffic or not. Mind you most of the time I am going under 50 mph unless on the highway. When i drove across the country (miami to chicago) last year, cruising at around 80-82 netted me around 35-37 mpg depending on hills, mountains, and wind.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #8
xdrive_320i
Private
xdrive_320i's Avatar
37
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW 320i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
2013 6MT 328i (n20).

Stock it was around 25-30 mpg in "comfort"

Stage 1 it was a little better as throttle response was increased and i didnt need to use as much right root to get moving. lets go with 26-32.

Stage 2 right now it is around 24-34 depending if I am in stop and go traffic or not. Mind you most of the time I am going under 50 mph unless on the highway. When i drove across the country (miami to chicago) last year, cruising at around 80-82 netted me around 35-37 mpg depending on hills, mountains, and wind.
That's pretty good! That's bootmod3 Stage 2 right? Out of curiosity, do you have any other mods on the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:54 PM   #9
sqwinny
Lieutenant
United_States
204
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Miami

iTrader: (2)

Looking for real-world fuel economy after tune-only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrive_320i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
2013 6MT 328i (n20).

Stock it was around 25-30 mpg in "comfort"

Stage 1 it was a little better as throttle response was increased and i didnt need to use as much right root to get moving. lets go with 26-32.

Stage 2 right now it is around 24-34 depending if I am in stop and go traffic or not. Mind you most of the time I am going under 50 mph unless on the highway. When i drove across the country (miami to chicago) last year, cruising at around 80-82 netted me around 35-37 mpg depending on hills, mountains, and wind.
That's pretty good! That's bootmod3 Stage 2 right? Out of curiosity, do you have any other mods on the car?
Hope this helps :

Everything off the shelf you can get for the car really.

N20 6MT FBO Dyno BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1816740
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
xdrive_320i
Private
xdrive_320i's Avatar
37
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW 320i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
Hope this helps :

Everything off the shelf you can get for the car really.

N20 6MT FBO Dyno BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1816740
Oop- funnily enough, I was reading about key mods before tuning and stumbled upon this thread! My plan is to replace both charge pipes, turbo inlet, and intercooler before Stage 1.

Future reliability mods will include oil catch can, diverter valve, and NGK plugs. Additionally, shorter service intervals for oil changes and other bits.

I think I've got a solid plan!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #11
CajunBMW
Major
CajunBMW's Avatar
United_States
932
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Shreveport, LA

iTrader: (0)

I have a 340 with the mppsk and the mild stage 1 tune that came with it and I have not noticed any change in mpg following the addition of the mppsk and tune. I travel a lot on long flat Louisiana and Texas highways. Last weekend my car showed 32.7 mpg at an average speed of 80.2 for 3 hours. And 34.3 for an average speed of 70.7 for the 3 hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 08:45 AM   #12
sqwinny
Lieutenant
United_States
204
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Miami

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrive_320i View Post
Oop- funnily enough, I was reading about key mods before tuning and stumbled upon this thread! My plan is to replace both charge pipes, turbo inlet, and intercooler before Stage 1.

Future reliability mods will include oil catch can, diverter valve, and NGK plugs. Additionally, shorter service intervals for oil changes and other bits.

I think I've got a solid plan!
Honestly, you can do stage 1 first without any mods, however, due to needing help and using a lift helps drastically, just grab bm3 with all tunes + downpipe of your choosing. The rest can come in pieces as you can do them in your driveway. downpipe was a lot harder to put in than anything else due to space and angle on your back honestly.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #13
culpability
Private
23
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

I have an n20 328xi. My wife drove it for years getting about 27-29mpg combined highway and city. Now that I drive it, I'll get about 28 on a long highway road trip and am at about 21 overall. However, I think this is MUCH more about the fact that I almost always keep it in sport mode at higher RPMs and accelerate a lot more quickly pretty much always than is reasonably necessary.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #14
xdrive_320i
Private
xdrive_320i's Avatar
37
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW 320i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
Honestly, you can do stage 1 first without any mods, however, due to needing help and using a lift helps drastically, just grab bm3 with all tunes + downpipe of your choosing. The rest can come in pieces as you can do them in your driveway. downpipe was a lot harder to put in than anything else due to space and angle on your back honestly.
Ok perfect! In that case, I might get an IC just to take care of charged air temperatures. Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:19 PM   #15
xdrive_320i
Private
xdrive_320i's Avatar
37
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW 320i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by culpability View Post
I have an n20 328xi. My wife drove it for years getting about 27-29mpg combined highway and city. Now that I drive it, I'll get about 28 on a long highway road trip and am at about 21 overall. However, I think this is MUCH more about the fact that I almost always keep it in sport mode at higher RPMs and accelerate a lot more quickly pretty much always than is reasonably necessary.
That's probably it. On my stock 2016 320i xDrive I'm getting 27.7 MPG overall, which lately, has been more city driving. When I was doing more highway driving I believe I was getting around 30 MPG overall. To clarify, I always drive in Eco-Pro and switch to Sport when applicable.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #16
CajunBMW
Major
CajunBMW's Avatar
United_States
932
Rep
1,147
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Shreveport, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrive_320i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by culpability View Post
I have an n20 328xi. My wife drove it for years getting about 27-29mpg combined highway and city. Now that I drive it, I'll get about 28 on a long highway road trip and am at about 21 overall. However, I think this is MUCH more about the fact that I almost always keep it in sport mode at higher RPMs and accelerate a lot more quickly pretty much always than is reasonably necessary.
That's probably it. On my stock 2016 320i xDrive I'm getting 27.7 MPG overall, which lately, has been more city driving. When I was doing more highway driving I believe I was getting around 30 MPG overall. To clarify, I always drive in Eco-Pro and switch to Sport when applicable.
What do you get full Highway? As I pointed out about on my last trip I was sitting at 32 and 34 mpg for all Highway with my 6 cylinder. On trips with more traffic and more accelerating around 18 wheelers and less steady speeds it sits right 30.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #17
xdrive_320i
Private
xdrive_320i's Avatar
37
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW 320i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
What do you get full Highway? As I pointed out about on my last trip I was sitting at 32 and 34 mpg for all Highway with my 6 cylinder. On trips with more traffic and more accelerating around 18 wheelers and less steady speeds it sits right 30.
Let's see, I get at least 30 MPG highway with the N20, closer to 33 MPG. The highest I've ever gotten was when I did over 50 continuous miles of highway at 65 MPH and that was around 40 MPG

So it seems that the N20 and N55 get similar MPG when cruising, which makes sense since they're not working very hard to cruise. It's when you put your foot down that matters, and the same logic can be applied to tuning, unless things are significantly modified at that portion of the map.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #18
snipagang
Private First Class
27
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2017 320i xdrive
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXRS View Post
Hey guys! Does anyone have any before/after numbers for their 330i after tuning? I want to get into something a little more fuel conscious than my current car, and I'm torn between the 230i, 330i, and an S3.

It seems the S3's are turning some good numbers after tuning, likely thanks to the dct, but I'm a little more partial towards the 2/3 series. I'm mostly curious about tune only numbers for the B48 cars. Bonus points will be awarded to anyone who also has 1/4 and 60-130 times with ethanol involved. My current daily turns a 13 flat at 105, so I really don't want to sacrifice anything there if possible.

Thank you!
21 mpg before 21.9 after BM3 stage 1
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #19
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Luverse's Avatar
Indonesia
175
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: BMW F30
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Jakarta

iTrader: (0)

BM3 stage 2
XHP Stage 3


Name:  IMG_5175 copy.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  303.3 KB
__________________
Instagram: nightfall.f30
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #20
chowser51
Colonel
chowser51's Avatar
United_States
1222
Rep
2,202
Posts

Drives: F33 430 and F39 X2 M35i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
40k miles on B46, half of that tuned with stage 1, average combined mpg is 27.8
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST