F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 335d XD Shadow Edition Journey - One Year On.
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #67
KRS_SN
Lieutenant Colonel
2686
Rep
1,912
Posts

Drives: G05,F15, F34, E91,f45
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
go on. im all ears enjoyed reading your thread that I have just stumbled upon.
Updates in first post so it reads as one generally

52k and 55k miles iirc
oops didn't realise that
great job writing up a detailed review
I have an f34 gt 335d and acs abd bilstein b8 combination with Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres and its great and only a year since i bought it and i have put 17k miles
its been a labour of love and money and nice to read your detailed observations. Averaging 33mpg but i do a lot of bumper to bumper traffic driving after the school run.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #68
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

So, 60 000 mile update.

Just before CV19 halted everything the car had reached 60K miles, and really had begun to feel bedded in.

I have had one front shock replaced under warranty and discussions are ongoing with doing the other side given how close to the cut off I am with the 62k mile minimum to replace both.

It doesn't need its 3rd BMW service until 63000 miles which is consistent with me getting 21k miles between BMW services, but the oil is still changed about every 10-11k.

Now it reached the 60k mile mark I decided to also change the gerbox oil, I do not subscribe to leaving gearbox oil for life and 60k miles is about right when you look at the ZF Guidance.

I procured the ZF genuine kit and oil from Autodoc for £166 which was a good price and it took me, without a lift or very tall axle stands about 2 hours of messing about but the results are pleasing.

No photos of doing the work as that's detailed in many youtube videos but some photos of the aftermath so to speak and equipment needed.

Note i got 4.5 litres out (ish) and struggle to get the same back in but managed in the end by tipping the car away from the fill side to allow it to fill up and by running through the gears a few times.

The Box with the sump and 7 litres of oil, new bolts and fill plug.



Tools you need (impact driver not required and ONLY FOR UNDOING THE SUMP BOLTS) New bolts are only 12nm as its a plastic sump.





New 500ml syringe - Worked well to be fair and only £10



Old 5l screen wash bottle for confirming volume removed from gearbox.



New ZF Fluid is green



Old oil was not completley toast but toast enough for sure.



Sludge traps had worked well, slight silvery paste on both but nothing to be too concerned about, I have to remember this is a hard working gear box



Yes I ran out of gloves and no I cant get any on amazon...



Remember to tip up the sump into your pan as the filter is filled with oil too, and here you can see the film on the larger filters too - looking like silver paste!



And down here is the filter element, I might when I can be bothered, cut it open and inspect the filter as it looks like it is post fitted into the sump, but today was not the day to be arsed...



Always helpful to have a big old barrel to keep old oil in.



I stuck to to the instructions most of the way but as I cant get a 100% level drive, I focused on getting back in 4.5l as a priority, and it seems good.

I acknowledge this is best done on a proper lift but it is a straight forward job for a competent DIYer (helps if your skinnier to get under the car or can stick it on 4 tall jack stands.

Note - The under tray comes of easy, also best to remove the bracket on the side of the gear box but I didn't bother as my 8mm allen key could get in a ok and with an extender bar on it worked well.

Outcome... Nice smooth shifts again and a peace of mind, it's probably psychosomatic but it feels like its no longer spinning in porridge, but nice new fluid. its similar to the feeling after the old DSG was changed every 40k miles.

Ill do it again at 100k but might pay someone else to do it who has a lift. especially as in September its getting the Steinbauer box

Total cost - £166 kit - + £10 syringe and some skin of my knuckles!

Any questions please ask.
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 5
MattRST102.00
Fudz25.00
adam.b118.50
Sp12339.50
LukaUK12.00
      04-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #69
Fudz
Private
25
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: 2015 435I 8speed
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Did you just change the oil based in volume removed or did it get it up to temp and cycle gears etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #70
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudz View Post
Did you just change the oil based in volume removed or did it get it up to temp and cycle gears etc?
I did both - itís common to struggle
To get the same Volume back in even with cycling through the gears.

I followed the instructions which detail the cycling procedure.

If 4.5 litres came out it needs to go back in!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:51 AM   #71
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

First page updated with recent activities and expenses.
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #72
otee10
Second Lieutenant
otee10's Avatar
United Kingdom
128
Rep
201
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 LCI
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Leicester, UK

iTrader: (0)

This was a hugely engaging read, thanks for your time and effort. Would love to know your thoughts on whether or not Millers has yielded any noticeable changes?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:30 AM   #73
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by otee10 View Post
This was a hugely engaging read, thanks for your time and effort. Would love to know your thoughts on whether or not Millers has yielded any noticeable changes?
Morning, Using millers did yield a couple of noticeable improvements -

1.) Engine was quieter at low revs,
2.) minor improvement in fuel economy,

It is my humble opinion that it is is worth using if you plan to keep the car for a long time, but not if you are leasing and will change every 2-3 years as I don't think you will see the benefit.

Cheers
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:51 AM   #74
Pobsey
First Lieutenant
121
Rep
360
Posts

Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Cracking thread, I did one for my 120d blow by blow up to 195,000miles
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:08 AM   #75
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobsey View Post
Cracking thread, I did one for my 120d blow by blow up to 195,000miles
I read a lot of that - was a good read!
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #76
Kermit
Private First Class
52
Rep
194
Posts

Drives: 335d xDrive Shadow Edition
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hampshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

My 335d Shadow is the first car I've ever considered keeping once it's time is up. Love everything about it.
Appreciate 1
454697819291.50
      07-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #77
Soul_Glo
Major General
Soul_Glo's Avatar
No_Country
7449
Rep
7,157
Posts

Drives: 320d G20
Join Date: May 2013
Location: X

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
So, 60 000 mile update.

Just before CV19 halted everything the car had reached 60K miles, and really had begun to feel bedded in.

I have had one front shock replaced under warranty and discussions are ongoing with doing the other side given how close to the cut off I am with the 62k mile minimum to replace both.

It doesn't need its 3rd BMW service until 63000 miles which is consistent with me getting 21k miles between BMW services, but the oil is still changed about every 10-11k.

Now it reached the 60k mile mark I decided to also change the gerbox oil, I do not subscribe to leaving gearbox oil for life and 60k miles is about right when you look at the ZF Guidance.

I procured the ZF genuine kit and oil from Autodoc for £166 which was a good price and it took me, without a lift or very tall axle stands about 2 hours of messing about but the results are pleasing.

No photos of doing the work as that's detailed in many youtube videos but some photos of the aftermath so to speak and equipment needed.

Note i got 4.5 litres out (ish) and struggle to get the same back in but managed in the end by tipping the car away from the fill side to allow it to fill up and by running through the gears a few times.

The Box with the sump and 7 litres of oil, new bolts and fill plug.



Tools you need (impact driver not required and ONLY FOR UNDOING THE SUMP BOLTS) New bolts are only 12nm as its a plastic sump.





New 500ml syringe - Worked well to be fair and only £10



Old 5l screen wash bottle for confirming volume removed from gearbox.



New ZF Fluid is green



Old oil was not completley toast but toast enough for sure.



Sludge traps had worked well, slight silvery paste on both but nothing to be too concerned about, I have to remember this is a hard working gear box



Yes I ran out of gloves and no I cant get any on amazon...



Remember to tip up the sump into your pan as the filter is filled with oil too, and here you can see the film on the larger filters too - looking like silver paste!



And down here is the filter element, I might when I can be bothered, cut it open and inspect the filter as it looks like it is post fitted into the sump, but today was not the day to be arsed...



Always helpful to have a big old barrel to keep old oil in.



I stuck to to the instructions most of the way but as I cant get a 100% level drive, I focused on getting back in 4.5l as a priority, and it seems good.

I acknowledge this is best done on a proper lift but it is a straight forward job for a competent DIYer (helps if your skinnier to get under the car or can stick it on 4 tall jack stands.

Note - The under tray comes of easy, also best to remove the bracket on the side of the gear box but I didn't bother as my 8mm allen key could get in a ok and with an extender bar on it worked well.

Outcome... Nice smooth shifts again and a peace of mind, it's probably psychosomatic but it feels like its no longer spinning in porridge, but nice new fluid. its similar to the feeling after the old DSG was changed every 40k miles.

Ill do it again at 100k but might pay someone else to do it who has a lift. especially as in September its getting the Steinbauer box

Total cost - £166 kit - + £10 syringe and some skin of my knuckles!

Any questions please ask.
How did you monitor the gearbox temperature when changing the oil?
__________________
Just let your soul glo....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #78
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
How did you monitor the gearbox temperature when changing the oil?
IR Thermometer, plus using my finger and going - feels about right.

Cheers
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo7448.50
      07-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #79
Pobsey
First Lieutenant
121
Rep
360
Posts

Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
I read a lot of that - was a good read!
Just updated it for the final time
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #80
peetee
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2005 M3, E39 M5, F31 335d
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Hiya mate. This is a fantastic thread! I've booked my F31 335d for ACS springs at Mallory Performance in Leicester.

Do you have any before and after pics of your car with ACS Springs ?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #81
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetee View Post
Hiya mate. This is a fantastic thread! I've booked my F31 335d for ACS springs at Mallory Performance in Leicester.

Do you have any before and after pics of your car with ACS Springs ?
Hey good choice,

Honestly I donít think I do, I have never been concerned about the look just the handling which coupled with non runflat tyres is now ace !!

Enjoy the springs and plenty of pics on here if others with acs as I canít help!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #82
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

So, late update but still thought I would post a 3 year end of warranty update.

63K miles or there abouts, circa 10k less than planned mostly because of 3 months of working from home.

3 years old 2nd September, MOT - Nothing to report except it was free because either they really like me or, it was free on my service plan, either way bit of a result.

Secondly the end of warranty check picked up a minor battery fault explained by my dashcam.

The car on the whole has been excellent over the three years, I have another three to go with it. I have chosen not to take on the BMW warranty as over 60k miles it gets silly expensive.

So warranty claims over the three years extend to

1 - Steering wheel (leather failure)
2 - Gear stick (got a bit floppy) but honestly I think they all do that.
3 - Drop links and roll bars (to aid diagnosis of knocking front)
4 - Steering rack fix - (Also to aid diagnosis of knocking front)
5 - Two front adaptive shocks due to knocking (I had over 60k on the car when claimed so both were eventually replaced.)
6 - Battery - Again to try and fix a low battery warning but it was my dash cam draining it!
7 - Rear wheel replaced due to minor corrosion.

Honestly other than the shocks, the others whilst irritating are me being super super fussy and BMW being willing to stick most things through warranty.

Does this detract from the ownership, not really, all have been dealt with free courtesy cars, and mostly whilst in for servicing etc etc so cant really complain.

Well on to another 70k miles (CV19) dependant of course!

Stay safe and well all.
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 2
Dcs10034.50
BBri89440.50
      09-29-2020, 03:21 AM   #83
Mylo
New Member
4
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 335d X drive Touring
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oxfordshire

iTrader: (0)

great read. Thanks for sharing. Should be collecting my 68 plate shadow in the same colour this week. I now know what to look out for
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #84
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylo View Post
great read. Thanks for sharing. Should be collecting my 68 plate shadow in the same colour this week. I now know what to look out for
No worries, hope you enjoy the new motor they are good machines for sure.

Just to clarify I am running AC Schnitzer springs which whilst I don't believe contributed to the shock failure, might have contributed and either way it was overlooked by BMW on the change as each shock is £700+ to replace!
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 1
Mylo3.50
      09-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #85
RhysoTDI
Private
United Kingdom
64
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: BMW 330d
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Merthyr Tydfil

iTrader: (0)

Just spent some time reading through this; great write up

It’s threads like these that interest me. Real world experiences and ownership ��
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 04:44 AM   #86
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

more vroom

70k Update & More Vroom

Well as with most people my millage has taken a significant dive in the last 12 months and the car has only covered 7k since its last service, in June last year. I was expecting it to have somewhere in the region of 90k on it by now.

No bad thing but it meant I put off and off getting the brakes done, but they weren't critical.

However I finally dropped the car off yesterday at my independent to have new discs and pads on the front, and new pads on the rear, I bought the Brembo gear at a cost of about £390 for the parts and I reckon labour will be about 3 hours but I haven't seen the bill yet!

More Vroom

I also finally had the Steinbauer box fitted and holy poop its a tad quicker than it was.
Its not smack you in the face do a little dance quicker but it has significantly more grunt and its not really turned up to 11 yet either.

So, Brembo brakes - Well recommended, just bedding them in might take a while.

Steinbauer, so far so good, - I didn't pay full price for it so cant comment if its worth the new cost, and it also was a pig to fit apparently so I don't look forward to the bill but the install is flawless and I cant even see its fitted, the ooomph is worth it though :-)


On a different note, I am changing jobs in a couple of months which will see my millage drop from 25k a year to about 8k. So the intergalactic millage expected over 6 years will be significantly less but i'll still update this from time to time as I will be keeping the car at least till its 6th birthday if not much longer.

Safe driving all.
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 2
g9icy188.00
adam.b118.50
      03-09-2021, 06:29 AM   #87
g9icy
Lieutenant
188
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

What made you go with a tuning box instead of an ECU tune?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #88
454697819
Lieutenant
292
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9icy View Post
What made you go with a tuning box instead of an ECU tune?
Cost,

I picked up the box for shy of £100, and ability to remove at my decision.

Quite happy with it for the moment.

Cheers
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 1
g9icy188.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST