F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Driving mode
proTUNING Freaks

08-28-2020, 02:18 AM   #45
Markoff Chaney
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive GT

Been driving eco pro mostly because I kinda hypermiled my old manual and it resembles the drive style
I always have start stop off in summer with the AC on.
comfort in the canyons and sport when I really want to drive like I am not in my 30s.
I still haven't thrown a launch control start yet, but have only had it a week and half.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #46
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I never use eco because it doesn't save enough gas to be worth the reduced throttle response when I need it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #47
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I never use eco because it doesn't save enough gas to be worth the reduced throttle response when I need it.
Yep, tried to accelerate away from a blind idiot and the throttle wasn't there, thankfully the person to my left saw it and moved over in time for me to move over when I could've just hit the gas and go. I'm in comfort in the city and sport on the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #48
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If anything I'll be in sport in the city and comfort on the freeway. On the freeway when I anticipate passing I'll go into sport to get the revs up, but once done passing it's back into comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #49
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

I agree with the many comments above. The only time I found eco was useful was when I was teaching my teen to drive. I called it nanny mode and made her drive in eco mode in the city and other places to get her used to looking and paying attention. She liked to drive my 340 and the first time she punched it and I flew back in the seat and at WOT the mppsk fired up, I realized we needed to do something, so nanny mode until she got the hang of it. I even try to keep her using eco mode when she drives our X1.

As a scientist I tried many experiments with eco mode and although I could save gas it was a lot of work, well beyond my patience long term.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #50
KCee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 GT XDrive 2016

Eco mode was disappointing for me. The car feels like my parents' Prius, but in the end you don't get great gas mileage. It did seem like there was a gain in mpg if you can cruise at 40-50 on backroads, but pretty much no gain over Comfort on the highway and it's annoying to use it around town.

I sort of wish there was a mode in between Comfort and Sport. I drive my old Acura TL once a week to keep it going while my daughter is away at college and it's nice not to have any driving "modes", but just cruise nicely. Of course it nets about 3 mpg less, but it is 14+ years old.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #51
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

IMO Eco mode isn't there to address a real need of drivers, it's there to keep politicians happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #52
Torquey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i GT | 550i 6MT

I tired Eco once lol and that was it. Throttle response to me is probably the most important thing about driving enjoyment... and Eco pretty much kills it. The days of 'drive by cable' throttle are of course long gone and sorely missed... and the last thing I like to see is something that numbs the signal from the pedal even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCee View Post
... I sort of wish there was a mode in between Comfort and Sport.
You can get something like the Sprint Booster that let's you fine tune the throttle signal/ voltage. I have it on my E60 and it works great... slightly better on an NA car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #53
KCee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 GT XDrive 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey View Post
I tired Eco once lol and that was it. Throttle response to me is probably the most important thing about driving enjoyment... and Eco pretty much kills it. The days of 'drive by cable' throttle are of course long gone and sorely missed... and the last thing I like to see is something that numbs the signal from the pedal even more.

You can get something like the Sprint Booster that let's you fine tune the throttle signal/ voltage. I have it on my E60 and it works great... slightly better on an NA car IMO.
Sounds interesting. I'm just nitpicking on the car though. Comfort mode is fine, but I wouldn't mind a bit more throttle response and firmer ride without getting to the Sport level.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 01:14 AM   #54
killbill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i e92 & 2015 328i GT xDrive

Comfort in the city and Sport on the freeway for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:17 AM   #55
Markoff Chaney
Private
Rep

OK, I was going to start a thread but found this thankfully.
I have finally had the time in the 6 months of ownership to really feel out all the driving modes of the 335 GT including checking out Launch Control just this weekend.
Yes, I waited this long to try it because I hadn't felt the thing out yet.

So, after all this time I have to say that sport plus manual is just effing... brilliant. I have no other way to describe the ZF8 rocking flappy paddles or the shift knob. Unless I am driving around town with stoplights or traffic, comfort is fine BUT! I don't like the floaty steering feel. So I try to keep it in manual with TC off.

This would lead me to where I want to get Shockware for the suspension and need to ask if anyone here knows the best way to get the sport plus TC off steering feel all the time?
Is that a thing I can do without getting way into programming?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:23 AM   #56
Markoff Chaney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
I agree with the many comments above. The only time I found eco was useful was when I was teaching my teen to drive. I called it nanny mode and made her drive in eco mode in the city and other places to get her used to looking and paying attention. She liked to drive my 340 and the first time she punched it and I flew back in the seat and at WOT the mppsk fired up, I realized we needed to do something, so nanny mode until she got the hang of it. I even try to keep her using eco mode when she drives our X1.

As a scientist I tried many experiments with eco mode and although I could save gas it was a lot of work, well beyond my patience long term.
As a data analyst, I messed around with Eco and came to a similar conclusion.
Also, not a fan of AC kicking out at stoplights.
The only cool part of eco was coasting in neutral like I would with a manual downhill on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #57
TIMMY12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328I GT

I usually keep it in comfort. But I have a few performance upgrades so Sport + is a blast!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:11 PM   #58
///Meier
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i GT M Sport

highway - comfort / manual

around town - sport+ / manual

gridlock - eco / auto
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8169.50
      02-04-2021, 07:07 AM   #59
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32spaceship View Post
Comfort till she's warm, then sport+ with SAT engaged period, till cool down time. If I wanted to drive in comfort mode with concerns on gas mileage, I'd just drive my jetta. Is a 328 fast at high speeds like a 335? No. Does it get in and out of corners like a cheetah after it's prey? Yep. I didn't buy a bimmer to be bored. Wear and tear? I'm aware, and willing to pay for my driving pleasure.
Well I typed that original response when I still had a 328i and now I have a stage 2 tuned 435i.

That said, now I drive in comfort mode for the engine and sport for the transmission. I use sport+ for spirited backroad and highway driving only these days, but I almost ALWAYS have the transmission in sport.
      02-12-2021, 09:05 PM   #60
smithbh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by f34guy View Post
Just wondering what mode do you guys drive in. I'm always always in comfort mode until the 25 year old in me comes to life and then I switch to sport mode. Never in Sport + and occasionally in Eco-Pro just curious to know what you all like to drive in
I typically get the engine warm in comfort mode but then default to full sport w/ drivetrain & chassis after that.

If I'm at a light and need to be quick for whatever the reason, I'll toggle sport+ and pop the shift into S gear until I've reached my desired speed and position then go back to sport.

In wet weather I will either drive in comfort mode or sport w/ chassis only.

If I'm getting low on gas and have a few miles to go to get to the next fuel station, I'll drive in eco pro.

Lastly, I'll *occasionally* toggle sport+, pop into the S gear, and use launch control for the thrills.

*Note: I have an M-sport and it seems to be quite a different experience from what other commenters have said about the standard trim: When toggling from comfort to sport, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference; just doing that kicks you back a little bit and revs much more aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 07:11 AM   #61
manto
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

I use mainly Comfort, Eco to drive traffic and sport on the highway
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #62
tomica46
Registered
Rep
Drives: F34 2015 320D GT xDrive

Comfort mod for everyday travel when I don't want to worry about anything.
Sport mod when I want to fully enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #63
ruudje86
Rep
Drives: BMW 3GT

Same as everybody in this thread it seems - comfort all the way, unless you need some added tension in your drive.
Appreciate 0