F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > New diet plan
Extreme Powerhouse

05-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #23
GOF_430d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 430d convertible

Well I stopped smoking in December, I vape instead, though I read that nicotine has an adverse effect on insulin production so it looks like I'll have to give that up too. There goes another of life's pleasures.

I currently weigh 17.5 stone and am a smidge under 6ft 7in and could do with losing at least a stone, as that'll get me back down to the weight I was pre lockdown in March 2020.

So time to abstain from biscuits [it'll be tough]and limit my alcohol consumption [not as tough as biscuits] as getting out on my car is playing havoc with my knees.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #24
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Btw - I recently came across this awesome banana cake recipe which satisfies my sweet tooth in a healthier way. Mind you, I sometimes cut out the chocolate on top, it's still delicious.
7 minutes in the microwave, no flour, sugar only from banana. I added 2 scoops (50g) vanilla protein powder which not only increases the sweetness/taste but improves the nutritional content. Tastes great without too:

I calculated the ingredients based on 25g cocoa powder, 2 medium eggs, 3 bananas, tea spoon baking powder, 50g protein powder:

TOTAL 100g
Kcal: 145g
Fat: 3.5g
Carbs: 15g – of which sugar: 8g
Protein: 14g

Here is a less healthy version decorated by my kids

G50954.50
      05-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #25
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

I had a sugar reading of 171 which the Dr said he doesn't understand how I didn't go into a coma. I was given insulin and tablets to get the sugars down quickly, my eyesight went not completely but seeing double or treble vision on lights weight 75kgs and 5ft 8in.
I had ct scans pancreas checked etc etc. It told doc I wanted off insulin long story but I stopped carbs ate some wholemeal brown bread ate meat and I still have my beer cider and brandy in moderation (no more than 8 pints/night) however 2 years in I take no medication at all and my Sugar levels were 32 when checked eyesight returned after 6 month but was a rude awakening
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13513.50
      05-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #26
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
I had a sugar reading of 171 which the Dr said he doesn't understand how I didn't go into a coma. I was given insulin and tablets to get the sugars down quickly, my eyesight went not completely but seeing double or treble vision on lights weight 75kgs and 5ft 8in.
I had ct scans pancreas checked etc etc. It told doc I wanted off insulin long story but I stopped carbs ate some wholemeal brown bread ate meat and I still have my beer cider and brandy in moderation (no more than 8 pints/night) however 2 years in I take no medication at all and my Sugar levels were 32 when checked eyesight returned after 6 month but was a rude awakening
If you still drink up to 8 pints of beer or cider in a night then it wasn't much of a rude awakening, you're still sleepwalking through a gravediggers dream !
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #27
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
If you still drink up to 8 pints of beer or cider in a night then it wasn't much of a rude awakening, you're still sleepwalking through a gravediggers dream !
No really give it up but not completely just a bit joviality on a serious condition.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #28
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
No really give it up but not completely just a bit joviality on a serious condition.
phew

Diet is the biggie though as we know. I do a bit of cycling, eat pretty sensibly but if I cut out the alcohol it makes a massive difference in the weight stakes. I've also cut out peanut butter / toast / bread after 20 years - for weetabix! Replaced my late night sugar 'fix' with a 90 calorie bar of something...a few pounds lost over six months on a few basic changes.

Could do better, 6'1" 14.3 stone...higher in the winter months, lower in the summer where diet leans towards salady stuff and I cycle / walk more.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #29
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
phew

Diet is the biggie though as we know. I do a bit of cycling, eat pretty sensibly but if I cut out the alcohol it makes a massive difference in the weight stakes. I've also cut out peanut butter / toast / bread after 20 years - for weetabix! Replaced my late night sugar 'fix' with a 90 calorie bar of something...a few pounds lost over six months on a few basic changes.

Could do better, 6'1" 14.3 stone...higher in the winter months, lower in the summer where diet leans towards salady stuff and I cycle / walk more.
Certainly a good plan but tbh I find the more exercise you do the more sugar you need so more insulin req. I find cutting out white bread a biggie in fact anything made with flour, exercise is the key also but not to be overdone as it could have negative effect by eating more.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #30
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
that's scary. max I've had is someone with a hba1c of 145. 172 is legend territory. Super that you've brought it down to 32. So glad to hear that.
Appreciate 1
Harryg276.00
      05-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #31
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
that's scary. max I've had is someone with a hba1c of 145. 172 is legend territory. Super that you've brought it down to 32. So glad to hear that.
Thanks it was a horrendous time the eyesight thing was a tremendous blow however I remained positive and did what was needed even though the doctor wanted to keep the insulin on I was totally against it and as I regained my strength I stopped taking it and now on the way to recovery but I do admit it was a bit scary.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13513.50
      05-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #32
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Mine was in the 80s in October when I was diagnosed. My mmol/L was 16 when I went into A&E as a precaution.

My last blood test in March showed it had gone from the 80s down to 32. The doctor was amazed at how quickly it had recovered.
KRS_SN13513.50
      05-11-2021, 04:09 PM   #33
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks it was a horrendous time the eyesight thing was a tremendous blow however I remained positive and did what was needed even though the doctor wanted to keep the insulin on I was totally against it and as I regained my strength I stopped taking it and now on the way to recovery but I do admit it was a bit scary.
you are the exception not the norm.I would love to have more people like you.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #34
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Mine was in the 80s in October when I was diagnosed. My mmol/L was 16 when I went into A&E as a precaution.

My last blood test in March showed it had gone from the 80s down to 32. The doctor was amazed at how quickly it had recovered.
Great stuff. Anything around 50 is fine in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #35
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My real problem which is hard to understand is the stigma surrounding the affliction its like once your a druggie your always a druggie, having spoken with the Dr and putting forward my thoughts I asked why I am a diabetic after Two hba1c reading of around 32 his answer was you are classed as could be , my reasoning is but I am eating the right things and looking after my body as what is expected yet I am still classed as diabetic so does that mean people who do the same are classed as diabetic he could not answer, I know how people feel when they say they are stigmatised and how it can make them feel as though they are different/problematic however life goes on and some people buckle under the strain luckily for me I am not one of them, I get on with life come what may
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #36
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Well done you must be doing the right things
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #37
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
Btw - I recently came across this awesome banana cake recipe which satisfies my sweet tooth in a healthier way. Mind you, I sometimes cut out the chocolate on top, it's still delicious.
7 minutes in the microwave, no flour, sugar only from banana. I added 2 scoops (50g) vanilla protein powder which not only increases the sweetness/taste but improves the nutritional content. Tastes great without too:

I calculated the ingredients based on 25g cocoa powder, 2 medium eggs, 3 bananas, tea spoon baking powder, 50g protein powder:

TOTAL 100g
Kcal: 145g
Fat: 3.5g
Carbs: 15g – of which sugar: 8g
Protein: 14g

Here is a less healthy version decorated by my kids

Bananas are ok for a treat but should not be eaten daily if you are diabetic
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:34 AM   #38
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
Quote:
My real problem which is hard to understand is the stigma surrounding the affliction its like once your a druggie your always a druggie, having spoken with the Dr and putting forward my thoughts I asked why I am a diabetic after Two hba1c reading of around 32 his answer was you are classed as could be , my reasoning is but I am eating the right things and looking after my body as what is expected yet I am still classed as diabetic so does that mean people who do the same are classed as diabetic he could not answer, I know how people feel when they say they are stigmatised and how it can make them feel as though they are different/problematic however life goes on and some people buckle under the strain luckily for me I am not one of them, I get on with life come what may
My doctor said if my next test is in the 30s she will consider me in remission, but she did also say I'd still be on the Metformin.
It does sound strange to be able to completely reverse it in a year or less, but also strange to carry on with the medication.
      05-12-2021, 02:46 AM   #39
GOF_430d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 430d convertible

Harryg, thanks for the banana tip, I'll substitute it for an apple instead.
Appreciate 1
Harryg276.00
      05-12-2021, 02:48 AM   #40
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My doctor said if my next test is in the 30s she will consider me in remission, but she did also say I'd still be on the Metformin.
It does sound strange to be able to completely reverse it in a year or less, but also strange to carry on with the medication.
Initially I was on Gliclazide and insulin over a period of me testing I stopped the insulin and spoke with the Dr more testing and changes in lifestyle I reduced the Gliclazide eventually stopping that as well.
When I see people going on diets I do think this is a great idea providing it is needed as most people don't understand the damage caused by different foods once you become diabetic you fully understand what causes the problems and adjust your diet to suit. Glucometers are very cheap and sugar levels can be monitored easily so its just another way of keeping and eating healthy.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:51 AM   #41
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOF_430d View Post
Harryg, thanks for the banana tip, I'll substitute it for an apple instead.
I once had a large orange and thought fruits were ok later checked by sugar levels and they had gone through the roof so no more oranges.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 08:43 AM   #42
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Quote:
Bananas are ok for a treat but should not be eaten daily if you are diabetic
No, certainly not. This wasn't aimed at a diabetic diet, just for those who want to replace the sweet stuff with something less unhealthy
      05-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #43
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
A. People who were diagnosed 11 years ago who took up cycling to work 12 miles/ day and who have had all subsequent HbA1c of 40's who we still keep under annual review and talk to yearly even if it is to say good work.

B. Others who have initially lost weight with a paleo/atkins diet who have relapsed in a year or two and are worse off than initially.

C.Other's who don't take any responsibility for their eating and drinking (perhaps human like myself) and always see it as a its not my responsibility its yours to medicate and solve tough core.

Group c far outweighs group a and b but doesn't mean we shouldn't treat group a any differently as they also deserve our monitoring and attention.

No stigma just we care about you!.
Appreciate 1
Harryg276.00
      05-12-2021, 03:56 PM   #44
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Minstrels and Red Wine diet going well tonight.... but I have walked 10.6km today....
Appreciate 0