F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ZF gearbox tuning: XHP or custom pro tune
proTUNING Freaks

05-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
howardmarkland
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW440i M sport,MPPSK with LSD

ZF gearbox tuning: XHP or custom pro tune

Many have gone down the XHP route but it seems quite a few are not entirely happy with the out of the box settings notably with the stage 3 setup. Yes you can alter some parameters but if you are not experienced in tuning you are left with the trial and error approach and this can lead to issues.
On the otherside there are many reputable uk tuners who offer their own custom maps for the ZF gearbox. The average cost is £200 and , interestingly I was told the job would take about a hour or so to get the engine/gearbox in sync . This sounds the better option with a tune that is bespoke to the individual car and its state of tune.
My MPPSK is now gone replaced with a custom pro stage 1 tune and other bits so a tune has become necessary: PS the exhaust still remains and is more epic than ever with the tune.
I would welcome any comments from those who have gone down the custom route rather than the XHP tune
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 02:28 AM   #2
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d Xdrive

The third option (if you have the right engine) is an Alpina flash. XHP may be 'better' subjectively, but I'll never know, because I couldn't be happier with my Alpina gearbox. The car just seems to know what I want depending on my throttle input and whether I'm in Sport mode - love it
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 02:39 AM   #3
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainy View Post
The third option (if you have the right engine) is an Alpina flash. XHP may be 'better' subjectively, but I'll never know, because I couldn't be happier with my Alpina gearbox. The car just seems to know what I want depending on my throttle input and whether I'm in Sport mode - love it
Same here, also went with the Alpina one because it's free and I'm an adopted Yorkshireman
      05-11-2021, 07:27 AM   #4
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I'm the same, I have the Alpina flash on my 335d and it does everything I want of it so no need to change.
Appreciate 1
cramsnik385.50
      05-11-2021, 11:32 AM   #5
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
I'm the same, I have the Alpina flash on my 335d and it does everything I want of it so no need to change.
+1 Had this done a few weeks ago and its much improved my cars drivability.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Lots of Derv owners recommending the Alpina, but its Derv only I think whereas the OP appears to have a 440i?

I've tried both and XHP is fine with a bit of tweaking to your taste. Customisability is great and after about 6-8 flashes i've got mine bang on how I want it.

The fact you're looking for a map in the first place suggests to me that XHP is the best option as you obviously have a specific tune in mind which a custom flash may not satisfy. You only tune it with % sliders so its quite simple really - just do it bit by bit or share others settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #7
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
Lots of Derv owners recommending the Alpina, but its Derv only I think whereas the OP appears to have a 440i?.
I was under the impression the 40i could have the B3 map on it, maybe I’m mistaken
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #8
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VAG

I'm pretty sure xHP is the only option isn't it? Anyone making out they do a 'custom tune' for the ZF8 is surely just flashing it with xHP? If that's the case then just flash it yourself and set it up how you want it. You can't go wrong with it tbh, I'm happy with mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:37 AM   #9
SirBiggles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Opening up this thread for discussion again: What're the differences between the Alpina B3 map and xHD maps? (There may be discussions on this already; pls feel free to point me in the right direction)

For info: I'm looking for 'less cruisy' gearbox style and better throttle response (in all driving modes, as well as snappier changes). I hate the way the high-rpm is kept when in D-Sport mode (yes, much better in Semi-auto mode). Even worse is the lag in Comfort mode when you're at a junction and go to pull out, it lags so much before accelerating. Again, better in Semi-auto mode.

I don't want to mess up my transmission by tinkering too much with custom gearbox maps myself so would prefer 'flash & go' if the requirements are possible to address.

I will be combining with BM3 Stage 1 or 2. Remus exhaust but not manifold/downpipe/intercooler mods.
      08-31-2022, 11:00 AM   #10
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
I've not got any experience with anything other than xHP but for what its worth I like it.

Able to customise shift points in D so that the higher gears don't hold on for so long when not pushing it, in my head it saves fuel as well. Things like blip on downshift is nice for when going into first when you're feeling a little boisterous, would imagine that be really nice with those who have aftermarket exhaust systems.

Other than that, just being able to see what gear you are in at all times via the trip computer is really handy.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2022, 04:29 PM   #11
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBiggles View Post
Opening up this thread for discussion again: What're the differences between the Alpina B3 map and xHD maps? (There may be discussions on this already; pls feel free to point me in the right direction)

For info: I'm looking for 'less cruisy' gearbox style and better throttle response (in all driving modes, as well as snappier changes). I hate the way the high-rpm is kept when in D-Sport mode (yes, much better in Semi-auto mode). Even worse is the lag in Comfort mode when you're at a junction and go to pull out, it lags so much before accelerating. Again, better in Semi-auto mode.

I don't want to mess up my transmission by tinkering too much with custom gearbox maps myself so would prefer 'flash & go' if the requirements are possible to address.

I will be combining with BM3 Stage 1 or 2. Remus exhaust but not manifold/downpipe/intercooler mods.
Sorry not quite sure how I missed your post but yes I too didn't like how long the gearbox would hold onto a gear before changing up, I like to change up faster instead of revving the nuts off the engine when driving with purpose (but not wide open throttle).
What I will say is that the stage 3 map makes sport+ changes instant and feels very mechanical, it's really nice when in the mood but then go back to comfort D and just enjoy your custom map or they have pre-sets such as "relaxed" and "relaxed+" or "sportive" and "sportive+"

What do you mean by semi-auto mode btw?

Also the lag you're referring to is maybe the difference in throttle response between the modes comfort & sport? xHP didn't make a difference in that regard just so you're aware, I still have to go into sport mode if I want that.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 01:35 AM   #12
Cully
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335D X-Drive

i did XHP on my 335D, senior performance flashed it for me, night and day over the stock software, coming from a DSG box into this i can confirm im more than happy with it.

cant comment on ALPINA i did think about that but the stage 3 XHP is just great, i didnt know you could tweek it though
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 04:35 AM   #13
SirBiggles
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaton88 View Post
Sorry not quite sure how I missed your post but yes I too didn't like how long the gearbox would hold onto a gear before changing up, I like to change up faster instead of revving the nuts off the engine when driving with purpose (but not wide open throttle).
What I will say is that the stage 3 map makes sport+ changes instant and feels very mechanical, it's really nice when in the mood but then go back to comfort D and just enjoy your custom map or they have pre-sets such as "relaxed" and "relaxed+" or "sportive" and "sportive+"

What do you mean by semi-auto mode btw?

Also the lag you're referring to is maybe the difference in throttle response between the modes comfort & sport? xHP didn't make a difference in that regard just so you're aware, I still have to go into sport mode if I want that.
Nice, good info thanks! semi-auto, I mean 'manual' on the auto-gearbox. Interesting re. the lag at low revs :-/ I do think a map (like BM3) will help with that too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cully View Post
i did XHP on my 335D, senior performance flashed it for me, night and day over the stock software, coming from a DSG box into this i can confirm im more than happy with it.

cant comment on ALPINA i did think about that but the stage 3 XHP is just great, i didnt know you could tweek it though
Nice
      09-02-2022, 03:12 AM   #14
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Don’t really understand them, but would a “pedal box” sort the hesitation at pulling away?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 04:23 AM   #15
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

just to hijack the thread sorry. Where could I get the alpina flash installed in the North West?

Last edited by onstat; 09-02-2022 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: spell correct
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #16
Ruskie27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by onstat View Post
just to hijack the thread sorry. Where could I get the alpina flash installed in the North West?
I am interested also, I believe it can be done DIY.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #17
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Don’t really understand them, but would a “pedal box” sort the hesitation at pulling away?
Not really, if I'm guessing your issue correctly. If you're not in Sports gear mode the car will usually start in second gear, if you press the accelerator heavily the car takes a moment to decide that first is where you should be and changes to first, hence the hesitation.
My method is to place the gear-lever left into Sports gear mode, forcing the car to use first gear and hence no hesitation. I will do this whenever at a give way line and see a need to make a brisk step off.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 05:08 PM   #18
SirBiggles
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Not really, if I'm guessing your issue correctly. If you're not in Sports gear mode the car will usually start in second gear, if you press the accelerator heavily the car takes a moment to decide that first is where you should be and changes to first, hence the hesitation.
My method is to place the gear-lever left into Sports gear mode, forcing the car to use first gear and hence no hesitation. I will do this whenever at a give way line and see a need to make a brisk step off.
Didn't realise it starts in 2nd! I'm thinking XHP will allow you to code 'always drop into 1st' at x speed/revs. Add.ECU map to that and should get decent torque off the line, even in full-auto/comfort
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 05:27 PM   #19
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBiggles View Post
Didn't realise it starts in 2nd! I'm thinking XHP will allow you to code 'always drop into 1st' at x speed/revs. Add.ECU map to that and should get decent torque off the line, even in full-auto/comfort
Yes, there is an option in XHP for starting in 1st/2nd.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2022, 05:01 AM   #20
SirBiggles
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Yes, there is an option in XHP for starting in 1st/2nd.
Amazing! Thanks