F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > 2014 328i GT trunk water leak
Extreme Powerhouse

04-01-2023, 08:51 AM   #1
komnenovic23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i GT

Red face 2014 328i GT trunk water leak

Hello all - I have seen numerous posts on here regarding the water leakage, but I haven't found a solution for it anywhere.
The car has been sitting out of the garage for a couple of months, and when I returned from the trip, the trunk covers were wet on the right side of the trunk, side, and bottom. I removed the panels where the battery is and found that the battery is swimming in water. I drained all of that, let it dry, and day later, I went to the BMW official service center. They took a good 2h to come back to me and say the trunk seal probably caused the leak and that they fixed it. They did remove the drain plug in the compartment where the battery is in case this happens again, the water can drain and not stay in that compartment.
This morning I woke up to pouring rain, and of course, I first went to and checked the car. It is leaking again.
The water is dripping from the back of the trunk from the top. The fabric on the top of the trunk is wet, which made me think it's the sunroof. So I checked the sunroof, and there was water there that should have drained.
I took it to the local shop, which aired out that drain. We tested it with the hose, the water is not accumulating at the sunroof anymore, but it is still dripping down the trunk.
First photo - magnified 2 places where I see the water coming - 1 by the trunk gate hatch and 2 dripping from the panel for trunk cover (don't know how this is called).
Second photo showing that the leak is really large, like its not just dripping little, and this is from very light rain.
Third showing the top more close up where I think the issue is starting.

I would appreciate any tips from anyone who had the same problem.
Would also appreciate guide how to remove all the paneling on the side.
Would also appreciate any other tips - ideas - help .

Thank you all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 01:55 AM   #2
Mr.Smartepants
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i GT (F34)

Yikes! Did you ever get this resolved?
My F34 was accumulating water in the spoiler recess tray (common problem) which would dump the water in the trunk when opening the rear. Blowing out the drain holes (and tubes) with compressed air dislodged a few sycamore seeds.
I had to remove the rear lid "headliner" when I hardwired my rear-facing dashcam. There's a good guide I followed showing where exactly each fixing tab was to pop off (few screws too). If you still need it, I'll try to find it.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2023, 05:51 PM   #3
Gabriele120d
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Hello, I have the same problem, did you resolve it? 🙏

Quote:
Originally Posted by komnenovic23 View Post
Hello all - I have seen numerous posts on here regarding the water leakage, but I haven't found a solution for it anywhere.
The car has been sitting out of the garage for a couple of months, and when I returned from the trip, the trunk covers were wet on the right side of the trunk, side, and bottom. I removed the panels where the battery is and found that the battery is swimming in water. I drained all of that, let it dry, and day later, I went to the BMW official service center. They took a good 2h to come back to me and say the trunk seal probably caused the leak and that they fixed it. They did remove the drain plug in the compartment where the battery is in case this happens again, the water can drain and not stay in that compartment.
This morning I woke up to pouring rain, and of course, I first went to and checked the car. It is leaking again.
The water is dripping from the back of the trunk from the top. The fabric on the top of the trunk is wet, which made me think it's the sunroof. So I checked the sunroof, and there was water there that should have drained.
I took it to the local shop, which aired out that drain. We tested it with the hose, the water is not accumulating at the sunroof anymore, but it is still dripping down the trunk.
First photo - magnified 2 places where I see the water coming - 1 by the trunk gate hatch and 2 dripping from the panel for trunk cover (don't know how this is called).
Second photo showing that the leak is really large, like its not just dripping little, and this is from very light rain.
Third showing the top more close up where I think the issue is starting.

I would appreciate any tips from anyone who had the same problem.
Would also appreciate guide how to remove all the paneling on the side.
Would also appreciate any other tips - ideas - help .

Thank you all.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 05:41 AM   #4
angelforce
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i GT

Garage List
Someone solved it changing this item here

https://www.ebay.com/p/557958983
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:45 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That part has not been changed, so replacing it would only be beneficial if the original is worn out.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 11:55 PM   #6
angelforce
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
That part has not been changed, so replacing it would only be beneficial if the original is worn out.
That’s right

In this case I mentioned the part had one of its tab or plug or something broken indeed.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30429364
Appreciate 0