F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > South Africa Delays! (4 Month Delay) UPDATE: 3/27/17
Studio RSR

03-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #23
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo2016
Quote:
My buddy ordered an SA build last week of feb for a week 2 March build. Got lucky I guess was put on a boat earlier this week direct to Port jersey no stop in Germany or anywhere else. Due into VPC 4/8
On the same boat as XRAVE . My 328 got to SA port on 3/7 and nothing since. The 800 updates haven't the slightest clue when the car may get on a boat.
Also expecting PCD, so I guess the wait may be longer than anticipated by my CA.
So my buddy had the same issue of getting no updates beyond "at port" until I told him to ask genius for the VIN and run the car using that. (He was using the BMW order number) called again afternoon of same day and it showed already having left on a boat a couple days earlier. Could be a system lag but the VIN may have more detail attached to it... Just a thought might be coincidence
Where did he put the vin?
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #24
dkirsch78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE
Anyone else have any info on how to track ship schedules? Been at port now since the beginning of March and still no update.

Ordered the car early Feb after a dealer told me he had a car going into production right away. Like a typical dealer, this wasn't true and it was a week 12 build. Thankfully it got pushed to a week 9 but I wasn't aware SA builds took this much longer. Very disappointed as dealer told me originally I would have the car by end of March which obviously is not true.
My 340 is currently en route to the US on the Crystal Ace. I got that info from BMWNA, and then paid $16 for 2 weeks of satellite tracking on a site called fleetmon. There are others that offer a similar service.

For me personally, my car sat with a carrier for a week, then was delivered to port in SA and sat there for another week before departing. Estimated to be on the water for a total of 18 days I think.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #25
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirsch78
Quote:
Anyone else have any info on how to track ship schedules? Been at port now since the beginning of March and still no update.

Ordered the car early Feb after a dealer told me he had a car going into production right away. Like a typical dealer, this wasn't true and it was a week 12 build. Thankfully it got pushed to a week 9 but I wasn't aware SA builds took this much longer. Very disappointed as dealer told me originally I would have the car by end of March which obviously is not true.
My 340 is currently en route to the US on the Crystal Ace. I got that info from BMWNA, and then paid $16 for 2 weeks of satellite tracking on a site called fleetmon. There are others that offer a similar service.

For me personally, my car sat with a carrier for a week, then was delivered to port in SA and sat there for another week before departing. Estimated to be on the water for a total of 18 days I think.
When did your car arrive at the port and when did you find out it was on the ship?

Mine arrived on the 7th to the port and the 1800 number still says awaiting for ship.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #26
dkirsch78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When did your car arrive at the port and when did you find out it was on the ship?

Mine arrived on the 7th to the port and the 1800 number still says awaiting for ship.
It got to port on the 10th or 11th of March, and then departed either the 17th or 18th. The automated info on the 800 number isn't really accurate - you need to speak to a rep (tell the robot you want a rep) and they can give you much more accurate info. That was how I got the name of the ship my car is on as well as the departure date and estimated arrival date at port in the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #27
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It got to port on the 10th or 11th of March, and then departed either the 17th or 18th. The automated info on the 800 number isn't really accurate - you need to speak to a rep (tell the robot you want a rep) and they can give you much more accurate info. That was how I got the name of the ship my car is on as well as the departure date and estimated arrival date at port in the US.
I spoke to somebody on the 23rd of 24th and they had no ship info... Don't understand how mine isn't on one when yours arrived after lol
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #28
dkirsch78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I spoke to somebody on the 23rd of 24th and they had no ship info... Don't understand how mine isn't on one when yours arrived after lol
What model is yours? Perhaps there was a recall that involved a part on it? That definitely is weird.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #29
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What model is yours? Perhaps there was a recall that involved a part on it? That definitely is weird.
340i, just spoke to a genius and he said it is unusual but he doesn't show any reason
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #30
dkirsch78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

340i, just spoke to a genius and he said it is unusual but he doesn't show any reason
That sucks man. Maybe I just got lucky- hope yours gets on a boat soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #31
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo2016
Quote:
My buddy ordered an SA build last week of feb for a week 2 March build. Got lucky I guess was put on a boat earlier this week direct to Port jersey no stop in Germany or anywhere else. Due into VPC 4/8
On the same boat as XRAVE . My 328 got to SA port on 3/7 and nothing since. The 800 updates haven't the slightest clue when the car may get on a boat.
Also expecting PCD, so I guess the wait may be longer than anticipated by my CA.
So my buddy had the same issue of getting no updates beyond "at port" until I told him to ask genius for the VIN and run the car using that. (He was using the BMW order number) called again afternoon of same day and it showed already having left on a boat a couple days earlier. Could be a system lag but the VIN may have more detail attached to it... Just a thought might be coincidence
Where did he put the vin?
Call genius to speak to a person like you did above and if you are using your order number to track the car ask them to re run it using the cars VIN instead of the order number. That is what worked for my buddy. Like I said it might have just been coincidence.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #32
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Call genius to speak to a person like you did above and if you are using your order number to track the car ask them to re run it using the cars VIN instead of the order number. That is what worked for my buddy. Like I said it might have just been coincidence.
I called back today with the vin and no luck. The wait is really driving me crazy Today marks 1.5 months from order date, 1 month from completion, and 3 weeks since arrival at port. My past 2 orders from BMW arrived in 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo2016 View Post
Didn't realize you were also in Miami. Braman in WPB. South had a decent deal, but Braman beat them to it. Hope we already got on that boat and we are just getting delayed updates.

Best of luck to us both.
Any update with your order?
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #33
Mojo2016
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 (EBII)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I called back today with the vin and no luck. The wait is really driving me crazy Today marks 1.5 months from order date, 1 month from completion, and 3 weeks since arrival at port. My past 2 orders from BMW arrived in 2 months.

Quote:
Didn't realize you were also in Miami. Braman in WPB. South had a decent deal, but Braman beat them to it. Hope we already got on that boat and we are just getting delayed updates.

Best of luck to us both.
Any update with your order?
Funny, I'm actually following this thread just in case I see any changes from your end @xrave
Spoke to a Genius today and they have nothing new. I just hope that the ship it gets on goes directly to the US.

Actually considering on reneging on the order and buying from the lot if the delay gets to be too much.

How was the PCD experience, worth the wait?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #34
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Funny, I'm actually following this thread just in case I see any changes from your end @xrave
Spoke to a Genius today and they have nothing new. I just hope that the ship it gets on goes directly to the US.

Actually considering on reneging on the order and buying from the lot if the delay gets to be too much.

From experience, sometimes PCD cars wait longer at port but get on a ship that has less stops. On my last order I was frustrated as I missed 2 boats that others got on. When I finally found out what boat I was on, it was a boat that arrived sooner than the previous 2. I believe that when cars are marked PCD, they have a higher priory over any other car expect of course a Euro Delivery.

PCD is def worth the wait. Your whole experience starts the morning of the flight. A quick plane ride into Greenvile and then a short car ride in either a 7 series or X5. If you arrive early like I did last year, that entire day could not go by slower. The room they put you up in is great and the complimentary dinner exceeded expectations.

If you manage to fall asleep that night, you start the next day bright and early. As soon as your on the bus, you realize that the extra wait was worth it. Taking delivery at a dealership only lasts about an hour, here you get an entire day of excitement. Not only do you get a better delivery experience but you now have an 1000 mile drive home to really open her up. I really want to drive in the mountains this time but the thought of driving the opposite direction of where I'm going really bugs me. I plan on stopping in Orlando and taking advantage of my universal annual pass.

Another benefit of PCD is that the detailing team is awesome. I know South/Braman BMW will jack up your paint if you let them anywhere near so I always tell them to not touch it. I asked a couple of people of the forums and they said that PCD did a great job and not to worry. I took the risk and they left my paint swirl free.

When picking your date, look at Allegiant Air flights out of Ft Lauderdale, I got mine last year for like $59.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #35
Mojo2016
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 (EBII)

Quote:
Quote:

From experience, sometimes PCD cars wait longer at port but get on a ship that has less stops. On my last order I was frustrated as I missed 2 boats that others got on. When I finally found out what boat I was on, it was a boat that arrived sooner than the previous 2. I believe that when cars are marked PCD, they have a higher priory over any other car expect of course a Euro Delivery.

PCD is def worth the wait. Your whole experience starts the morning of the flight. A quick plane ride into Greenvile and then a short car ride in either a 7 series or X5. If you arrive early like I did last year, that entire day could not go by slower. The room they put you up in is great and the complimentary dinner exceeded expectations.

If you manage to fall asleep that night, you start the next day bright and early. As soon as your on the bus, you realize that the extra wait was worth it. Taking delivery at a dealership only lasts about an hour, here you get an entire day of excitement. Not only do you get a better delivery experience but you now have an 1000 mile drive home to really open her up. I really want to drive in the mountains this time but the thought of driving the opposite direction of where I'm going really bugs me. I plan on stopping in Orlando and taking advantage of my universal annual pass.

Another benefit of PCD is that the detailing team is awesome. I know South/Braman BMW will jack up your paint if you let them anywhere near so I always tell them to not touch it. I asked a couple of people of the forums and they said that PCD did a great job and not to worry. I took the risk and they left my paint swirl free.

When picking your date, look at Allegiant Air flights out of Ft Lauderdale, I got mine last year for like $59.
@xrave I'm on voyage!

Talked to genius today. Serenity Ace left on 3/23. However, the ship will take a 6 week journey (5/4). Lol. Might as well have order a MY 2017. Guessing you may be in the same boat.

PCD is looking like late May now.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #36
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
@xrave I'm on voyage!

Talked to genius today. Serenity Ace left on 3/23. However, the ship will take a 6 week journey (5/4). Lol. Might as well have order a MY 2017. Guessing you may be in the same boat.

Just spoke to one as well, looks like were on the same boat!

The long journey really makes this a lot harder. A boat left 5 days before this one and would have had us arriving at port on around the 8th of April.

I guess well be seeing each other at PCD lol
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #37
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
@xrave I'm on voyage!

I attached the picture of the schedule. The rep also told me that it arrives on May 4th but I see it only making 2 possible stops, one in West Virginia and one in Brunswick, GA. So either 25th or 28th. PCD told me 2 weeks after it arrives in port.

Sent my CA an email to try to get me locked into a date already for PCD.

Here's a link to the ship tracking. Currently off radar.
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...date:lastknown
Attached Images

Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #38
smlong79
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I've got a 340i slated for PCD from SA as well...just released to carrier today. At what point were you able to find out the vessel information from BMW? Do I have to wait until the car arrives at the POE?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #39
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlong79 View Post
I've got a 340i slated for PCD from SA as well...just released to carrier today. At what point were you able to find out the vessel information from BMW? Do I have to wait until the car arrives at the POE?
Car arrived at the port on the 7th
Was on a ship on the 23rd
Found out today from BMW, the 30th that it was on a ship. They seem to have a delay from when it gets on a ship to when they know.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:41 AM   #40
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Now really drive yourself crazy and do some live tracking.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...SERENITY%20ACE

If this link fails, go to http://www.marinetraffic.com, click on "VESSELS", type yours in, and "watch" your ship in action (kind of).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 12:21 PM   #41
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
Now really drive yourself crazy and do some live tracking.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...SERENITY%20ACE

If this link fails, go to http://www.marinetraffic.com, click on "VESSELS", type yours in, and "watch" your ship in action (kind of).
Drive yourself crazy is an understatement. Why have I been obsessing about the boat my car is on getting to Baltimore? It still has to get all the way around to California. Sigh. Move faster, big ship! Move faster! ...but don't hit anything...or tip...or...sigh.

Last edited by bri1042; 03-31-2016 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: words bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #42
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Drive yourself crazy is an understatement. Why have I been obsessing about the boat my car is on getting to Baltimore? It still has all the way around to California. Sigh. Move faster, big ship! Move faster! ...but don't hit anything...or tip...or...sigh.
Too funny. My ship was anchored in the English Channel for almost two weeks. Imagine seeing it not move a millimeter on the map for that long. (There was a hurricane in the Northern Atlantic at the time, so I was a little forgiving.)

This, of course, gave me plenty of time to think about worst-case scenarios for my car: What if it comes loose from it's tie-downs? What if the ship sinks? Are they going to hide damage from me? The "bad things" list went on and on.

Obviously, it got here safe and sound; but, yeah, the mind will wander into dark territory during your car's voyage.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #43
Airdog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix Sport/track/tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
Car arrived at the port on the 7th
Was on a ship on the 23rd
Found out today from BMW, the 30th that it was on a ship. They seem to have a delay from when it gets on a ship to when they know.
Thanks for the info .......... I just found out my 340 is on the Serenity Ace 067A

The BMW Customer service rep states it should arrive in GA (Brunswick) in approximately 27 days.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #44
XRAVE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
Thanks for the info .......... I just found out my 340 is on the Serenity Ace 067A

The BMW Customer service rep states it should arrive in GA (Brunswick) in approximately 27 days.
Wow looks like the 3 of us will be doing PCD at the same time. We all are on the same ship.

I think BMW is being safe with the arrival date because the scheduled arrival date is the 28th, so 23 days instead of 27. Currently the ship is ahead of scheudle by 1 day, arriving in Spain on the 7th instead of the 8th.

My CA said port Charleston but this ship doesn't make a stop there. I wonder if they rail it up there to the VPC.
Attached Images

Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0