F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
GetBMWParts

01-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #133
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

OK. I've just followed the above instructions and found the following.

* With the new iDrive controller connected I get a TIMEOUT either trying to read the CAFD or Code ZBE3
* When Coding the HU_NBT it goes through the full process, but still at the very end reports the error above. You see it reboot so it looks like it takes. Could this be because it doesn't match the cars VIN?
* KOMBI is coding fine without any sign of errors. But I do see a little yellow triangle once I start the car in the top right corner of the black panel display. Could this simply be the time not set or noticing there is an issue with the Kombi?

Can I now assume the iDrive controller is actually faulty?

I couldn't work out how to read the ECU to get the VIN for the HU_NBT. I went through the same process as for VO coding and clicked Read ECU but it didn't change what was in square brackets after the module name or mention a different VIN anywhere on screen. I also tried it on the CAFD with the same results. Probably doing something silly.

Many thanks again
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #134
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Is the new iDrive Controller the standard one or the new iDrive Touch contoller?

If you are still getting the error displayed in Post #149, "...processed with error" then the VO Coding is not successful. It would be strange too that it rebooted afterwards though. Is it the same exact error?

Kombi exclamation is the Time / Date setting.

The SVT is displaying car VIN for the NBT VIN because the emulator is doing its job, and lying about the VIN. Go to E-Sys => Comfort Mode => FSC => Check FSC Status, and look in the header of the log window, and see what VIN is displayed based on the FSC Codes in NBT.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #135
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've been searching the logs to see if I can spot the errors that come up when coding. I found the following:

** Coding of the ZBE3 **

negative response error:
code: TIMEOUT P2/T2 occurred
description: P2 timeout on Service RDBI_SVK has error in result: [Severity=2051][ErrorCode=58640][ErrorCodeDescription=resource not available][VendorCode=2142][VendorCodeDescription=P2 timeout occured]; ECU: ZBE3_67_ETHERNET
severity: ERROR

** Coding of the HU_NBT **

job failed with negative response error:
code: service returned global negative response
description: Service WDBI_PLAIN returned a negative response with response code requestOutOfRange; ECU: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET

Timestamp: Sun Jan 05 20:12:18 GMT 2014
SessionId: default
ErrorCategory: VEHICLE_ERROR ID: 433
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #136
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It is the older iDrive controller with the Nav buttons, but it isn't the Touch model.

There is no Emulator installed currently. Iv'e fitted it without that for the time being. I will fit that mid week once it arrives.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #137
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This is usually the wrong target was selected (wrong chassis or the right chassis but the one with _DIRECT after it), or at the bottom of target window selecting "Read VCM" instead of "Series I-Step", or Series I-Step is selected but selected values from the drop down boxes are used when they should be kept blank.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #138
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, with no Emulator, I don't know how coding will work with VIN Mismatched...

You can still check NBT VIN with Check FSC Status.

You can also try Read ECU instead of Read SVT, then read NBT and see what VIN shows in the brackets.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #139
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
I've been searching the logs to see if I can spot the errors that come up when coding. I found the following:

** Coding of the ZBE3 **

negative response error:
code: TIMEOUT P2/T2 occurred
description: P2 timeout on Service RDBI_SVK has error in result: [Severity=2051][ErrorCode=58640][ErrorCodeDescription=resource not available][VendorCode=2142][VendorCodeDescription=P2 timeout occured]; ECU: ZBE3_67_ETHERNET

** Coding of the HU_NBT **

job failed with negative response error:
code: service returned global negative response
description: Service WDBI_PLAIN returned a negative response with response code requestOutOfRange; ECU: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET

Timestamp: Sun Jan 05 20:12:18 GMT 2014
SessionId: default
ErrorCategory: VEHICLE_ERROR ID: 433
I've gotten this error before trying to read KOMBI when my MOST cable was disconnected from the combox.

Are you sure that everything is properly connected to your main connector that goes into the NBT? With the iDrive knob not working, that might point to something. 1lyfe took my spare CIC controller and was able to plug it in underneath the trim and it worked fine without any coding. He currently has my CIC head unit, 8.8" screen and spare CIC iDrive knob all running on his vehicle without any problems.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 01-05-2014 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #140
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Well, with no Emulator, I don't know how coding will work with VIN Mismatched...

You can still check NBT VIN with Check FSC Status.

You can also try Read ECU instead of Read SVT, then read NBT and see what VIN shows in the brackets.
Sorry Shawn. I had gone through the usual process of Read FA, Activate FA, Read SVT, then selected the HU_NBT and clicked Read ECU. What are you saying I should have done differently?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #141
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry Shawn. I had gone through the usual process of Read FA, Activate FA, Read SVT, then selected the HU_NBT and clicked Read ECU. What are you saying I should have done differently?
Read ECU instead of Read SVT.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #142
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
I've gotten this error before trying to read KOMBI when my MOST cable was disconnected from the combox.

Are you sure that everything is properly connected to your main connector that goes into the NBT? With the iDrive knob not working, that might point to something. 1lyfe took my spare CIC controller and was able to plug it in underneath the trim and it worked fine without any coding. He currently has my CIC head unit, 8.8" screen and spare CIC iDrive knob all running on his vehicle without any problems.
I think it is connected right, because with my normal iDrive controller without the Nav buttons it works just fine. I can also select radio stations and see what programmes are currently showing. The NBT is also showing the correct car mileage. Finally, I can read the NBT CAFD without any errors.

What is the MOST cable in this scenario? Is it the big black cable bundle connector on the back? If it is, then I can't imagine any of the above would work if it wasn't connected.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #143
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Read ECU instead of Read SVT.
I did that after Read SVT. If I do it before SVT, how to I select the HU_NBT as the target for the Read ECU? That bottom left window only populates afar a Read SVT.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #144
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think it is connected right, because with my normal iDrive controller without the Nav buttons it works just fine. I can also select radio stations and see what programmes are currently showing. The NBT is also showing the correct car mileage. Finally, I can read the NBT CAFD without any errors.

What is the MOST cable in this scenario? Is it the big black cable bundle connector on the back? If it is, then I can't imagine any of the above would work if it wasn't connected.
Not sure if it applies to you but for vehicles with factory CIC navigation, the MOST cable runs from KOMBI over to the Combox and if you disconnect it, your time display, trip computer and vehicle status will all stop working.

My combox always conflicts with the built in combox on the NBT so I have to keep the combox disconnected in order for the USB, Bluetooth Audio and Apps to work properly. However, when I do this, the NBT stops communicating with the KOMBI and I won't be able to see the time or any vehicle data on the car.

When I have E-sys connected, I get the exact same message you get trying to read KOMBI because the MOST connection is not available since the combox is unplugged. When I plug the combox back in, the KOMBI reads fine without issue.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #145
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I got it. See what you mean now, when you read it, the VIN shows in the log window. The VIN shows me it is a European F31 10/2012 with the following options. I suspect some of these are extras you would normally pay for but don't know for sure:

S609A
Navigationssystem Professional Navigation system Professional
S612A
BMW Assist BMW Assist
S614A
Internet Vorbereitung Internet, preparations
S615A
Erweiterte BMW Online Information Expanded BMW Online Information
S616A
BMW Online BMW Online
S676A
HiFi Lautsprechersystem HiFi speaker system
S698A
Area-Code 2 für DVD Area-Code 2 for DVD
S6AAA
BMW TeleServices BMW TeleServices
S6ABA
Steuerung Teleservices Control for Teleservices
S6NLA
Anbindung Bluetooth + USB-Geräte inkl. Connection Bluetooth + USB devices incl

Despite what I was told, it looks like it was a German car, not a UK car.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #146
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've looked through some of the differences between configured FDL settings on the HU_NBT and the ones on HU_Entry. I've come across the following differences which I believe relate to the Stereo. My car is HK audio, and the donor car is HiFi audio.

I wonder if it would be worth changing some of these settings in the FDL to see if the speakers would then work. I can't imagine the connector on the back is different between the two hi fi's, but it could be. Thoughts:

First the HU_NBT Settings:
HIGH_END_AUDIO_B_UND_W
kein_menu - options kein_menu, keine_insz, nur_lichtinsz, volle_insz
Werte=00

LOGIC7_SYMBOL
nicht_aktiv - options aktiv, nicht_aktiv

HIGH_END_AUDIO_MENUE
Werte=00

3002 - AUDIO_TUNER_TRAFFIC
AUDIO_SYSTEM
hifi - options hifi, stereo, tophifi, individual_sound, hk_surroundsound, hifi_system_harmankardon
AMPLIFIER_VARIANT
external - options external, internal, most
MULTI_CHANNEL

3004 - SYSTEM_EINSTELLUNGEN
ZBE_LOW
ZBE_TOUCH

Now the HU_Entry Settings:
3000 - HMI
LOGIC7_SYMBOL
aktiv - options aktiv, nicht_aktiv
HIGH_END_AUDIO_MENUE
Werte=00
ENT_HUDRIVE_INSTALLED

3002 - AUDIO_TUNER_TRAFFIC
AUDIO_SYSTEM_CC
top_hifi - options stereo, hifi, m_individual_sound, top_hifi
MULTI_CHANNEL

3004 - SYSTEM_EINSTELLUNGEN
EXTERNAL_MOST
ZBE_LOW
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #147
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Not sure if it applies to you but for vehicles with factory CIC navigation, the MOST cable runs from KOMBI over to the Combox and if you disconnect it, your time display, trip computer and vehicle status will all stop working.
No I don't believe it does. Mine is a new HU_Entry with HK audio but I don't have a Combox in the boot and didn't have any form of Nav before.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #148
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did that after Read SVT. If I do it before SVT, how to I select the HU_NBT as the target for the Read ECU? That bottom left window only populates afar a Read SVT.
Hit the SVT Reset button on bottom right, and then select Read ECU instead of Read SVT. Your SVT should populate as normal, except based on the actual ECU hardware and not what is stored in VCM. HU_NBT should be present.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #149
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I got it. See what you mean now, when you read it, the VIN shows in the log window. The VIN shows me it is a European F31 10/2012 with the following options. I suspect some of these are extras you would normally pay for but don't know for sure:
Yes, so now you have the actual Donor car's VIN that is written in NBT.

Can has 614 Internet, so maybe your Internet will work.

Does it have 6NR BMW Apps?

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #150
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Does it have 6NR BMW Apps?
Unfortunately not
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #151
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

S609A
Navigationssystem Professional Navigation system Professional
S612A
BMW Assist BMW Assist
S614A
Internet Vorbereitung Internet, preparations
S615A
Erweiterte BMW Online Information Expanded BMW Online Information
S616A
BMW Online BMW Online
S676A
HiFi Lautsprechersystem HiFi speaker system
S698A
Area-Code 2 für DVD Area-Code 2 for DVD
S6AAA
BMW TeleServices BMW TeleServices
S6ABA
Steuerung Teleservices Control for Teleservices
S6NLA
Anbindung Bluetooth + USB-Geräte inkl. Connection Bluetooth + USB devices incl

Looks like your NBT is older than mine so maybe you can code 614, 615, 6AL without any problems since those functions tether from your iPhone.

My donor vehicle is a 2014 model so I had to use the newer option codes since they're all routed to BMW Assist which I don't have. When I try to VO code HU_NBT with 614, 615 and 6AL, they're just greyed out and won't let me select them.

Let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #152
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately not
Yes, but no problem. This is what I was talking about earlier. You can use a set of newer FSC Codes that includes 6NR, and Import and Activate them in NBT, then code car for 6NR, and you will have 6NR.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:27 AM   #153
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but no problem. This is what I was talking about earlier. You can use a set of newer FSC Codes that includes 6NR, and Import and Activate them in NBT, then code car for 6NR, and you will have 6NR.
Thanks. I will PM you about that once I get the Emulator and confirm everything is working.

What exactly does VO coding the NBT perform? I know it writes defaults to the ECU, but what defaults? I notice my NBT thinks the car is still an F31 as it shows the tailgate opening options with a picture of the estate. Also, all the sounds defaults (above) are not for my sound system. Would VO coding if it worked base all the defaults on my full FA?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:33 AM   #154
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. I will PM you about that once I get the Emulator and confirm everything is working.

What exactly does VO coding the NBT perform? I know it writes defaults to the ECU, but what defaults? I notice my NBT thinks the car is still an F31 as it shows the tailgate opening options with a picture of the estate. Also, all the sounds defaults (above) are not for my sound system. Would VO coding if it worked base all the defaults on my full FA?
Yes. You VO or FA is much more than just the Option Codes as it also contains Chassis Code, Engine Code, Country Code...etc. VO Coding an ECU takes all that into account, and sets the ECU to a predetermined state specific to your car's configuration.

Frankly, I don't understand why you haven't VO Coded it yet. I would not waste my time on any current NBT abnormalities unless they persist after proper coding. Until then, it's all premature.

Appreciate 0