F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPSK DIY?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-15-2021, 12:41 AM   #1
WTF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 // F82 M4 // F90 M5

MPPSK DIY?

I just got a CPO 2017 340i and am interested in getting the MPPSK. Originally I wanted just the exhaust, but found out that MPPSK uses a different exhaust, so I might need to go for that to get the sound I want. The dealership quoted me $4700 for parts and labor, which is absolutely ridiculous. Has anyone ordered the MPPSK and do it themselves or take it to an independent shop? My concern is the tune, which I obviously won't be able to do myself.

I'm in the South Bay area of Los Angeles, and if anyone can recommend a shop that can do this at a reasonable price, please let me know!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 03:38 AM   #2
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

Concerning the tune, you will get much better results with a 3rd party ECU tune, like MHD, MG Flasher, Bootmod 3 etc. than with the MPPSK tune.

The only downside is that with a 3rd pary tune, you will probably lose the warranty.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

There is no "probably" - you ABSOLUTELY lose your warranty with a 3rd party software.

And to answer your question - no, you cannot install the software yourself, unless you again go the 3rd party pay (e.g. MHD, which includes the MPPSK tune in their package).

An independent shop would not be able to help either - if you want it done the legal way - you need to have it done by an official dealership. They pull the software from Munich based on an activation code in the package. You do not get the actual software delivered in the package, only a code.
They also register the MPPSK in the official technical records of the vehicle.

The price you got was tremendous. Check elsewhere.
      01-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Can independent shops registered with ISTA not be able to update the soft wear? Has that been confirmed? Seems odd garages that pay to use the access for updating service history and can update modules wouldn't be able to request a code for this?
Could easily be wrong, might ask my local indy if he thinks it would be possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't think so. Ask.
      01-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

The cheaper route is to get a Dinan midpipe and MHD. Not exactly the same exhaust, but $3700 cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #7
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

I don’t know what the labor part of the bmw quote is but you could have bmw install just software and you can install the exhaust at an indie or even do it yourself. I don’t think there is any cutting needed just loosen a few clamps.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

MPPSK comes with its own warranty. It's doubtful that splitting the installation process - software by BMW dealer and exhaust by another shop - will maintain the warranty.

I suggest to shop around for MPPSK. Evan@Tischer can help provide a competitive quote for MPPSK.

Suggested approach:

- Get the best price for MPPSK first
- Shop around for installation costs / find a dealer in your area
- Ask the selling dealer to ship MPPSK directly to the dealer where installation will be performed. The boxes with exhaust are quite large

This will make the process much easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #9
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

I got a ~$3000 or so quote (labor and parts) when I had the mppsk put on. I had some discounts that I used. I have been very satisfied with the mppsk and it is exactly what I wanted. I have zero complaints and I have had it for more than a year now.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #10
WTF82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
MPPSK comes with its own warranty. It's doubtful that splitting the installation process - software by BMW dealer and exhaust by another shop - will maintain the warranty.

I suggest to shop around for MPPSK. Evan@Tischer can help provide a competitive quote for MPPSK.

Suggested approach:

- Get the best price for MPPSK first
- Shop around for installation costs / find a dealer in your area
- Ask the selling dealer to ship MPPSK directly to the dealer where installation will be performed. The boxes with exhaust are quite large

This will make the process much easier.
This is exactly my concern. I want to obviously keep my CPO warranty and warranty for the parts, otherwise like others have said, I might as well just get a third party tune. I checked Tischer's price for the part, and it's about $2700.

Now I just need to find a dealership that can do it for a reasonable price. The $4700 quote I got is from New Century BMW, and the guy said it's already with a discount on the part and he'll be able to give me some discount on labor, but probably nothing reasonable enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #11
WTF82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
I got a ~$3000 or so quote (labor and parts) when I had the mppsk put on. I had some discounts that I used. I have been very satisfied with the mppsk and it is exactly what I wanted. I have zero complaints and I have had it for more than a year now.
That's a very reasonable price considering the part itself is about $2700-2900 depending on where you buy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #12
WTF82
Private First Class
Rep

Do you guys just let the dealer keep/throw away the old exhaust when getting this done? Part of me feels like it can be resold, but transportation would obviously be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #13
WTF82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Concerning the tune, you will get much better results with a 3rd party ECU tune, like MHD, MG Flasher, Bootmod 3 etc. than with the MPPSK tune.

The only downside is that with a 3rd pary tune, you will probably lose the warranty.
Yeah, I would go with 3rd party but I have two years left on the warranty, and don't want to lose that. Otherwise I'd probably go with BM3 or JB4 with an Eisenmann exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #14
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 271828 View Post
Do you guys just let the dealer keep/throw away the old exhaust when getting this done? Part of me feels like it can be resold, but transportation would obviously be an issue.
I did. I did not want an old exhaust sitting around the house.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #15
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Left mine there.
It was impossible to transport unless cut in half... which would reduce any potential resell value...

But it is a pity, mine was spotless...
      01-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #16
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Quote:
Left mine there.
It was impossible to transport unless cut in half... which would reduce any potential resell value...

But it is a pity, mine was spotless...
I hear you. My exhaust was only two years old and we have no real winter here so no salt or other harsh road chemicals ever hit the car. But as you mentioned it is large and I had no way to take it home and definitely no where to store it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #17
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

But who wants to buy an OEM exhaust? If you were in an accident, insurance would replace it.

Personally, I'd do the BM3 and 3rd party exhaust. It's the route I went for vastly less than the MPPSK, with way more power. You lose the BMW warranty, but I'm happy.

If you are more concerned about warranty, 3rd party exhaust and JB4 (since you can easily remove it before dealer visits). That being said, after having the flash tune, I'd do that over JB4 (you can reflash to stock before dealer trips).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #18
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
But who wants to buy an OEM exhaust? If you were in an accident, insurance would replace it.

Personally, I'd do the BM3 and 3rd party exhaust. It's the route I went for vastly less than the MPPSK, with way more power. You lose the BMW warranty, but I'm happy.

If you are more concerned about warranty, 3rd party exhaust and JB4 (since you can easily remove it before dealer visits). That being said, after having the flash tune, I'd do that over JB4 (you can reflash to stock before dealer trips).
I agree with you on the oem exhaust, but I have seen I believe a few threads here selling their oem exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #19
WTF82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post

Yeah, the OEM exhaust probably isn't worth much, but it'd be nice to be able to offset the cost. What's the flash tune? I've heard mixed things about JB4 without getting a definite answer. Some say you can revert it with no trace and some people have said dealers can still see that it was tuned.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:41 PM   #20
WTF82
Private First Class
Rep

I'm thinking that unless the MPPSK was ordered at the time when the car is new, it doesn't seem worth it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when ordering this with a new car, they don't charge you for labor right, so it's just a $3000 option.

Now I'm leaning towards getting a third party exhaust and waiting for my warranty to expire to get a tune. I do like how the MP exhaust has valves though (sometimes you just want to cruise in comfort mode and not be loud). I couldn't find an aftermarket option with valves.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:44 PM   #21
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking that unless the MPPSK was ordered at the time when the car is new, it doesn't seem worth it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when ordering this with a new car, they don't charge you for labor right, so it's just a $3000 option.

Now I'm leaning towards getting a third party exhaust and waiting for my warranty to expire to get a tune. I do like how the MP exhaust has valves though (sometimes you just want to cruise in comfort mode and not be loud). I couldn't find an aftermarket option with valves.
You are correct in a true dollars standpoint that you have labor costs if done after you purchased the car. But for anyone who purchased a car from a dealer as opposed to ordered, unfortunately doesn't have that option. For me that was not a deal breaker since I got a good deal. I had 4 years left on my warranty and wanted a fun addition that would work within the confines of that warranty. It is correct that it is a mild stage 1 tune, but for me that was fine. Plus as mentioned I get to keep my warranty and if anything major goes wrong I am covered. Anyway that is why I went that route.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #22
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
I agree with you on the oem exhaust, but I have seen I believe a few threads here selling their oem exhaust.
Heh, I've thought about it, but always came to the same conclusion. I replaced my OEM grill in my Audi SQ5 and the MINT OEM sat in a box in my garage for a year until I finally tossed it. Painful to do though.
Appreciate 0