F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Speaker polarity not correct
ARMA SPEED

06-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #1
bytterga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 GT

Garage List
Speaker polarity not correct

So i checked polarity on all the speakers in my 2015 f34 and they are all negative exept the tweeters.
Is this a problem?
Wierd that the factory get this wrong.
I have the option to reverse polarity with the DSP tool but then the tweeters go negative.
Leave it as it is or reverse it in the dsp?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 04:58 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If they're all the same it doesn't matter. Since the connectors are polarized I wouldn't assume that they're not as they should be.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytterga View Post
So i checked polarity on all the speakers in my 2015 f34 and they are all negative exept the tweeters.
Is this a problem?
I have the option to reverse polarity with the DSP tool but then the tweeters go negative.
If these are the OEM speakers then tweeters are wired in parallel with the mids, so if the mids are reversed wired then so are the tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:05 AM   #4
bytterga
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytterga View Post
Is this a problem?
If these are the OEM speakers then tweeters are wired in parallel with the mids, so if the mids are reversed wired then so are the tweeters.
The front speakers and tweeters are not oem but plug and play from Match with passive crossover to the tweeters. Both speakers and tweeters have bmw connectors so it cant be innstalled wrong.
I was thinking it was the Match speakers that was wired wrong inside but checking the rear oem speakers they also had negative polarity .
Wierd 😒
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:24 AM   #5
bytterga
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If they're all the same it doesn't matter. Since the connectors are polarized I wouldn't assume that they're not as they should be.
So it does not matter as long as all speakers are negative? What about the tweeters that are plus?
They have passive crossovers so they will be negative when speakers are positive and vice versa 🤔
This cant be good for the sound quality or?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You said that there's a passive crossover. If that crossover consists of a 2nd order lowpass on the mids and 2nd order high pass on the tweeters the total phase shift between the mids and tweeters is 180 degrees, which would result in a response dip centered at the crossover frequency. Wiring the tweeters with reverse polarity eliminates the phase shift, and along with it the response dip. While on the subject, most loudspeaker designers avoid using 2nd order/2nd order crossovers for just this reason. A 2nd order low pass/3rd order high pass doesn't give a 180 degree phase shift, so there's no response dip, and the additional 6dB/octave roll off of the signal to the tweeter below the corner frequency offers better protection to the tweeter and lower THD.
Appreciate 2
Wires1660.00
      06-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
bytterga
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You said that there's a passive crossover. If that crossover consists of a 2nd order lowpass on the mids and 2nd order high pass on the tweeters the total phase shift between the mids and tweeters is 180 degrees, which would result in a response dip centered at the crossover frequency. Wiring the tweeters with reverse polarity eliminates the phase shift, and along with it the response dip. While on the subject, most loudspeaker designers avoid using 2nd order/2nd order crossovers for just this reason. A 2nd order low pass/3rd order high pass doesn't give a 180 degree phase shift, so there's no response dip, and the additional 6dB/octave roll off of the signal to the tweeter below the corner frequency offers better protection to the tweeter and lower THD.
Thanks for the reply.
After hours of googling i think i get this now 🙂
Sent a message to the shop and they said the same as you.
Had no idea but then again i am a newbie at the audio stuff.
Appreciate 0