F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EGR Recall - 335d
proTUNING Freaks

01-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #507
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

Mines finally in at Sytners on Monday, I was told originally they couldn't do it until the 21st as they wanted to have the parts in just in case. However! They have just phoned to confirm I'm okay for Monday and said they don't have the parts as these are on back order (pretty much everyone elses story on here) but need to inspect it still and if it is found to be defective then it'll have to stay with them
Will get a loaner but they said it won't be a quick as mine

Might be in the enterprise rental car next week then?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #508
Jay335d
Rep
Drives: F30 335D 2015

I took mine to Sytner Maidenhead as it's close to where I work and had the earliest booking date (less than a week wait rather than 3-4 weeks at other main dealers) dropped it off early morning and was told, as expected my car could be there for weeks as they have no parts in stock and parts should take 2-3 weeks to arrive, I received a call late afternoon that it doesn't need the part and good to take home, I thought I would need to the cooler as I had a coolant issue last year but glad to have it back, they did try to sell me two rear tyres at nearly £250 a corner and got a quote for front brake pads and discs @ £720.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #509
johnnybforbacon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

My EGR is apparently 'fine' until, it's on fire and spreading to the houses its parked beside - they might think about changing it then... (What an absolute joke...)

As the garages vary, some seem to be changing the EGR which is not damaged and others are turning people away. Is it worth creating a thread detailing which Garages are fitting the EGR straight away and those that are simply turning people away waiting for the inevitable to happen? Perhaps add a list to the first page of this thread? Just an idea so people can try different garages to perhaps get a better 'service'...

I took mine to Fairfield at Leigh-on-sea whereby I was told it was all ok and that the EGR would not be changed at this point. I wasn't even advised on symptoms or what to look out for...cracking service.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 03:44 AM   #510
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Awaiting to get an update on mine. Went to the dealer for a test drive of a 140i at the weekend, but they were unable to give me an update.

Probably going to pull the trigger on the 1 series, so not sure whether I'll see it before I VT it now as the dealer has a spec amendable slot.

Will see what they say later today.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 04:22 AM   #511
smorg99
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e M Sport

Sounds like parts are starting to arrive. Mine arrived Saturday and they fitted over the weekend and ready to pick up later today. Must say, after 2 weeks in this Nissan I can't wait to have her back.
Have read that some have noticed an improvement in performance and mpg after a new cooler has been installed. If mine has been poorly for a while, do you think I may notice any changes?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #512
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Would imagine so. A drop in power/performance was one of the notable symptoms.
      01-21-2019, 05:20 AM   #513
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So mine was in first thing this morning for a full health check and EGR cooler check. Sytner's have just rang to say the car is absolutely fine and ready to collect. I will ask what will happen if it develops issues in the future though.

I wonder if the issue relates to usage and fuel as I assume that the shorter slower journeys on Tesco Diesel might make sure the EGR gets a good blocking with soot? I do a 90 mile commutes each day on the motorway and only use Shell V-Power Diesel which can only be a good thing I'm guessing.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #514
Simon89
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive

Isn’t it just the failure of the plate heat exchanger? If so I can’t imagine fuel playing a part in the failure
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #515
Boisee
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 330D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-335dx View Post
So mine was in first thing this morning for a full health check and EGR cooler check. Sytner's have just rang to say the car is absolutely fine and ready to collect. I will ask what will happen if it develops issues in the future though.
Mine was 1st looked at in October and given a clean bill of health. It flagged a coolant warning early Dec which i topped up as i was in a rush that day. When i checked it between Christmas and new year it had dropped again so back it went and I've been without it since 28th Dec. If it develops symptoms then get it back in to be checked.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #516
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisee View Post
Mine was 1st looked at in October and given a clean bill of health. It flagged a coolant warning early Dec which i topped up as i was in a rush that day. When i checked it between Christmas and new year it had dropped again so back it went and I've been without it since 28th Dec. If it develops symptoms then get it back in to be checked.
Thanks, will certainly keep an eye on it for the foreseeable and check the coolant etc regularly
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #517
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon89 View Post
Isn’t it just the failure of the plate heat exchanger? If so I can’t imagine fuel playing a part in the failure
Oh it might be? To be honest I'm not sure? I was told it was to do with the EGR valve itself getting blocked up with soot which then found it's way through into the cooler and then that would catch fire and crack the cooler and then it just gets worse from there. Heard a few ideas though so that might just be a load of crap
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #518
Simon89
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive

From what I understand is the heat exchanger starts to look coolant, which ends up mixing with the exhaust gases which are at a very high temperature. That's how the inlet starts to melt and in extreme cases, melt/catch fire.
      01-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #519
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Took my car into Bristol for a service and asked them to check EGR recall. I was told it required a new part and would be 2 months. Found out last week they hadn't even looked at car.

Now have to wait and book car into dealer again to inspect

Total joke
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #520
indigochim
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Can anyone recommend a dealer in the south Manchester area who will more likely replace than fob off? I was weighing towards Stockport or Wilmslow as the city centre one would be a PITA to get to.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #521
smorg99
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e M Sport

Just picked mine up after having the EGR replaced and dunno if it's because I've been driving around in the gutless Juke for over 2 weeks, but I can't remember it accelerating so quick and having so much power. Pretty sure it must be but maybe I have gained more performance having a cracked EGR replaced. It's so good to drive I think I had forgotten. Weird.
Anyway, I was in such a rush to get stuff out of the loan car and get back home that I realised I wasn't given any paperwork to say that the work had been carried out. Should I have?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:39 AM   #522
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Had an update on mine yesterday. Parts are on back order with no visibility on when they will get them. They have 2 cars in the dealership that have been there since 8 Dec for same thing.....so looking unlikely I'll get the car back before I VT it to get my new one.....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:17 AM   #523
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Dealer Explanation.

So I picked my 335 up last night from Sytner and as many on here have said previously mine also had no issue so was not replaced. I was of course concerned that something may develop at a later stage so I thought I'd take to opportunity to have a chat with the service manager and see what the score was.

He was actually very helpful and explained that BMW have now narrowed the issue down to a particular set of batch numbers and so if your car (As mine was) doesn't have that serial number stamped on the cooler then there shouldn't be an issue. Apparently the recall is to check which cars may have the affected parts fitted but also to just check all the others as a precaution. Therefore if yours does not have that batch numbered part and there are no issues then it should be fine.

The issue is caused by a coolant leak into the cooler which mixes with the soot and oil and causes a lumpy blockage which in tern stops the cooler from working making everything overheat and in extreme cases can cause the manifold to crack and in rare cases a fire.

So it would seem that if yours has been checked and you've been given the all clear then there should be nothing to worry about. That said I will monitor my coolant level for the foreseeable just in case
Appreciate 2
C320342.50
Soul_Glo13347.00
      01-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #524
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-335dx View Post
Dealer Explanation.

So I picked my 335 up last night from Sytner and as many on here have said previously mine also had no issue so was not replaced. I was of course concerned that something may develop at a later stage so I thought I'd take to opportunity to have a chat with the service manager and see what the score was.

He was actually very helpful and explained that BMW have now narrowed the issue down to a particular set of batch numbers and so if your car (As mine was) doesn't have that serial number stamped on the cooler then there shouldn't be an issue. Apparently the recall is to check which cars may have the affected parts fitted but also to just check all the others as a precaution. Therefore if yours does not have that batch numbered part and there are no issues then it should be fine.

The issue is caused by a coolant leak into the cooler which mixes with the soot and oil and causes a lumpy blockage which in tern stops the cooler from working making everything overheat and in extreme cases can cause the manifold to crack and in rare cases a fire.

So it would seem that if yours has been checked and you've been given the all clear then there should be nothing to worry about. That said I will monitor my coolant level for the foreseeable just in case
That's interesting, because when i booked mine in 2 weeks ago, i asked if they checked the batch/part numbers (because they can do that in 5 minutes during a service). I was told a firm no, and that they use a bore-scope to check for leaks, which takes an ~1hour.

So who's dealership is telling porkies? Ill update my case on the 7th Feb!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #525
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
That's interesting, because when i booked mine in 2 weeks ago, i asked if they checked the batch/part numbers (because they can do that in 5 minutes during a service). I was told a firm no, and that they use a bore-scope to check for leaks, which takes an ~1hour.

So who's dealership is telling porkies? Ill update my case on the 7th Feb!
I think he means they use the batch numbers to determine which non-faulty parts need replacing after checking for leaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #526
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
They're probably checking the part numbers because bmw fucked up and issued a load of incorrect part numbers as part of the original puma, and reissued a corrected parts numbers list late December 2018.

Yes, I know, you couldn't write it....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:02 AM   #527
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Just thought I'd pop on here to celebrate the achievement of BMW having kept our car off the road for 4 months as of today, with no indication of when it'll be back!

01-23-2019, 02:56 AM   #528
Michalux
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

I dropped my car off for a service and EGR inspection without knowing about the wait time for parts and sort of hoping mine wouldn't be affected. Turns out the cooler is faulty and parts are on back order. According to the dealer, they tend to arrive within 2-3 weeks which totally screws up my plan as I was intending on putting the car up for sale. I've asked the dealer to give me a valuation on my car but I doubt they will offer me or even get close to what I can get for it privately.
Appreciate 0