F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > warranty and servicing
ARMA SPEED

01-04-2019, 03:27 AM   #1
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

warranty and servicing

Hi all,

I am sure this has been asked before so apologies if so

Our car is telling us we need to get the brake fluid service done. It still has a few months of AUC warranty on it and our local BMW wanted somewhere in the region of 350 to basically, from what I understand, change the brake fluid.

Do we have to use BMW to do so to keep the warranty or has that all changed?

Also, if we don't have to use BMW for this work, does this give them any comeback when I look to extending the warranty when it expires?

Cheers
J
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:47 AM   #2
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

A brake fluid service does not cost £350 from any dealer. Its around £60
Appreciate 1
Lincoln61746.50
      01-04-2019, 03:56 AM   #3
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh I know there is no way it 350 quid.

It is what I have been quoted though.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:58 AM   #4
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjur View Post
Oh I know there is no way it 350 quid.

It is what I have been quoted though.
Looks like the dealer has quoted you something else. Brake fluid is fixed price at all dealers. https://www.bmw-service.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:07 AM   #5
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

As stated a brake fluid service is only around £60 so would make sense to have it done at BMW.

Theoretically you should be able to have servicing done anywhere that uses OEM parts and is VAT registered but you will lose any goodwill - ie if the car had an expensive failure a month out of manufacturers warranty and it had full BMWSH then it would probably be given favourable consideration for a free repair or at least a contribution

However if it's an AUC car I'm guessing it's well out of manufacturers warranty (3 years) so perhaps there would be less goodwill anyway. However any claims would likely be less stressful is there was full BMW history

With an AUC warranty its often the dealer you want on side so they are far more likely to work hard to claim on the warranty on your behalf if you've had the servicing done by them

If the car is over 4 years old then the 'value' servicing can be used which is slightly cheaper. Still expensive (eg I think it's something like £159 for a basic oil change) but does buy some goodwill

Bear in mind things like a brake fluid service are a way to get you into a dealer where they will probably try and upsell something else to you so be careful not to end up spending more than you want to :-)
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-04-2019, 04:18 AM   #6
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all,

Yeah, I just checked with the dealer myself (things got lost in translation, blaming my wife ) and they were pushing the main oil service on top of the brake fluid.

Major service is due in about 2000 miles

That is what was 350.........which is still fairly hefty in my opinion for on oil and filters change. My problem is that I am hands on and am not afraid of working on cars. Hate paying dealers to do stuff that I see is being easy.

I mean, I have just done the timing belts on my Clio 172 (if you know, YOU KNOW) and the dealer wanted 750 for this. Took me a day and 300 quid of parts.

Makes swallowing 350 for some slippy stuff and paper a bit rough but as has been mentioned, I dont want to upset the warranty gods :/

J
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 06:04 AM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Is the car on finance? If so then you need to have all your service needs met by the BMW dealer network. If it's not on finance then as Big Foot said above it is about losing goodwill when it comes to warranty claims. With work done by BMW you get 2 years warranty on services such as oil change/any work they do. If it is a BMW part fitted by someone else you get one year warranty on the part only.

What I have done in the past is ordered parts directly from BMW (oil/filters) and then had a local garage change the oil. Although I was once accused by a paranoid dealer that the independent garage could have put any oil in without me knowing. To which my response was a report of an oil analysis I happened to have at the time as I was pushing for a warranty claim on my engine burning oil. That shut him right up. Needless to say after £12,000 worth of warranty work on that E92 when the gearbox started playing up I traded it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 04:37 AM   #8
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
Is the car on finance? If so then you need to have all your service needs met by the BMW dealer network.
I’ve got service pack so this isn’t an issue personally however I asked this question specifically when I was purchasing mine. I was advised it was not the case. Had to be OEM and Vat registered garage to meet the EU directive on warranty otherwise no stipulation at all beyond that.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-05-2019, 04:54 AM   #9
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

My car was 3 years old in December and needed it's first brake fluid change. It is in between 2 year (18k) oil services so I just required brake fluid and an MOT. They also charge for a 'standard scope' to update your idrive and BMW service record.

I got two quotes from Sytner and Rybrook and got a price match.

I have just been online and they now have identical prices. This is what you can expect to pay if it is only brake fluid needed. I suspect your quote is for other work also that is due.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 05:26 AM   #10
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Stevie View Post
Quote:
Is the car on finance? If so then you need to have all your service needs met by the BMW dealer network.
I’ve got service pack so this isn’t an issue personally however I asked this question specifically when I was purchasing mine. I was advised it was not the case. Had to be OEM and Vat registered garage to meet the EU directive on warranty otherwise no stipulation at all beyond that.
Odd. When we took out the BMW 435d on credit the tiny print says main BMW dealer. If I still had it I would upload it on here. May be someone else can check their financial agreement? However, I don't want derail the topic so if you're not on finance it doesn't apply to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 06:03 AM   #11
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Odd. When we took out the BMW 435d on credit the tiny print says main BMW dealer. If I still had it I would upload it on here. May be someone else can check their financial agreement? However, I don't want derail the topic so if you're not on finance it doesn't apply to you.
Yes don’t want to derail either. To be fair I took sales guys word for it and didn’t follow up as I took the service pack. I specifically asked as we have family friends who are the owners of a main dealer of another brand who do service at cost for us. He was adamant that would’ve fine.
Sorry- back on topic
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #12
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey gang, sorry for delay.

No, financed personally and not through BMW.............just AUC so going in for the fluid change at the 90 quid you have all mentioned.

Still questioning whether the oil service is worth the 350 official BMW bucks though. I have no problem throwing cash at genuine parts/fluids mind

J
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

£350 does seem a lot for oil and filters on a 325d, if you're confident then buy the parts from them and do it yourself, although you'll need to find somewhere to reset the service indicator.

As far as warranty is concerned this article is pretty good at explaining the various positions depending on whether it's a new car warranty or used car warranty or financed (PCP/lease rather than an secured bank loan) etc...

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-c...nty-servicing/
      01-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Quote:
Hey gang, sorry for delay.

No, financed personally and not through BMW.............just AUC so going in for the fluid change at the 90 quid you have all mentioned.

Still questioning whether the oil service is worth the 350 official BMW bucks though. I have no problem throwing cash at genuine parts/fluids mind

J
Mine is in now for oil and microfilter and its c£236.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #15
Liquidfox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
BMWFS here, no main dealer requirement.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #16
N-W
oOOo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfox View Post
BMWFS here, no main dealer requirement.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #17
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Well..............brake service done..............70 quid for the privilege which i can swallow

What I can't swallow is that the pedal is a mushy mess whereas when it went in, it was perfect

100% guarantee there is air in there. I really doubt the capability of dealers.

Also, asked about the service and they quoted me 460 but brought that down to 408 including a discount. I told them that it was 350 on the site but they said it needs a major inspection too.

Do they just make this stuff up?

My Clio. A perfectly functioning hot hatch. Probably costs the same as this oil service.

Madness.

At that money. I really do not think i will be using a dealer.

J
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #18
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
To answer your first question, having services carried out elsewhere as long as the garage is VAT registered and uses genuine parts then you won't have issues if you then do decide to go for the BMW Insured Warranty.

As for the mushy pedal, I'd be back on the blower getting them to sort it!
      01-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #19
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Right-o..........just checked for the warranty options and am trying to choose between comprehensive and named component warranty.

Going for a larger excess (250) as we honestly cannot afford any more big payments and am leaning towards the named component warranty as that is coming out at 303 for the year

Has anyone any experience with the warranty and could perhaps let me know of any pitfalls or components I might be missing by not going for comprehensive?

Also, BMW are going to be replacing the rack again (3rd time in one year of ownership) which IMO is bat-shit. So I am going to try and get some assurances or exceptions from BMW themselves in case it fails again and they come looking for the 250 excess as there is clearly a problem

Thoughts?

J
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #20
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Right-o..........just checked for the warranty options and am trying to choose between comprehensive and named component warranty.

Going for a larger excess (250) as we honestly cannot afford any more big payments and am leaning towards the named component warranty as that is coming out at 303 for the year

Has anyone any experience with the warranty and could perhaps let me know of any pitfalls or components I might be missing by not going for comprehensive?

Also, BMW are going to be replacing the rack again (3rd time in one year of ownership) which IMO is bat-shit. So I am going to try and get some assurances or exceptions from BMW themselves in case it fails again and they come looking for the 250 excess as there is clearly a problem

Thoughts?

J
My car was three years old in December 18. I went for the Comprehensive policy at £339 with a £250 excess. I pondered for some time the Drivetrain Only at £279 or the Named Component cover at £303. Ruled out Drivetrain only as it had a max payout of £5k and covered only the basics.

I figured that Named Component didn't cover some major electrical type problems like the idrive going wrong. I also couldn't find anything mentioned with regard to suspension. Considering that I have adaptive suspension I thought that could be costly if something needed replacing. In the end I thought the extra £36 was worth the peace of mind.

I am not usually someone who takes out extended warranty but when you hear horror stories of £4k for a turbo or £8k for an auto gearbox then it puts it into perspective.

However, now I have the extended warranty the odds are that I won't use it.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #21
The Lum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i LCI

Quote:
With work done by BMW you get 2 years warranty on services such as oil change/any work they do. If it is a BMW part fitted by someone else you get one year warranty on the part only.

Just to confirm all service parts come with 2 year manufacturer warranty against defects no matter who fits them.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #22
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lum View Post
Quote:
With work done by BMW you get 2 years warranty on services such as oil change/any work they do. If it is a BMW part fitted by someone else you get one year warranty on the part only.

Just to confirm all service parts come with 2 year manufacturer warranty against defects no matter who fits them.
Only if it's done by BMW.

Genuine parts used by an indy mean 1 year warranty.
Appreciate 0