F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > 2016 320ix Low Oil Pressure Light
GetBMWParts

11-15-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
bresnan01
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320ix

2016 320ix Low Oil Pressure Light

Hi All -

GREAT Forum! Glad I found it and joined!

Please go easy on me on this.. LOL

Son's 2016 320ix went a LONG time between oil changes. Evidently the sticker on the window came off when he had it detailed. I had to bring it to shop for inspection, and while there asked when was his last change. UGH, a LOT of miles ago. Ok, change it. Tech came to show me filter which had a lot of sludge. Changed oil and filter. On drive home about 25 minutes into drive, Low Oil Pressure Light went on! Ok, pulled over, shut her down. NO noise from engine BTW. Sat a minute, restarted and no light. Finished driving home with no light. Went on again few days later, then off again. Was told to bring it back, they dumped oil, flushed it, new filter and changed one of the 2 oil sensors. ( I was told the "EASY" one, as they said the other sensor was about a 6 hour job!) Drove again, few days later light on again! Then goes off. When you go into the system screen, the first screen shows oil level FINE, when you go into "Measure Oil Level", it starts showing the percentage rising, but STOPS, and defaults back to the start screen at 15%... Thoughts?? GREATLY Appreciate any help, feedback. Bill
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 12:38 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I've experienced the oil level measurement stop midway through the test... right after an oil change at Melbourne BMW. I removed the oil cap to find the "birdcage" missing and the oil filter not properly seated as a result. Once replaced, everything was fine again... never even made it home as I ran the test right after leaving the dealer. I'd also want to make sure both seals are in place and not damaged.

I'd recommend getting a proper scan tool so that you can personally see what's going on with codes that are or are not being thrown. Foxwell makes a unit with BMW software which is relatively inexpensive. Wouldn't be where I am today without mine!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 01:59 PM   #3
bresnan01
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
I've experienced the oil level measurement stop midway through the test... right after an oil change at Melbourne BMW. I removed the oil cap to find the "birdcage" missing and the oil filter not properly seated as a result. Once replaced, everything was fine again... never even made it home as I ran the test right after leaving the dealer. I'd also want to make sure both seals are in place and not damaged.

I'd recommend getting a proper scan tool so that you can personally see what's going on with codes that are or are not being thrown. Foxwell makes a unit with BMW software which is relatively inexpensive. Wouldn't be where I am today without mine!
Thank you! I will try to get it scanned or get the one you suggested!!
Appreciate 0