F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > oil from the crankcase ventilation system
Extreme Powerhouse

04-07-2022, 04:08 PM   #1
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 435dx

oil from the crankcase ventilation system

Unwanted oil from the crankcase ventilation system

dripping oil from the second turbine

is diesel engine N 57

I would like to share with you my experience in a strange problem that the car has. I examined and found out after a long time. and I came up with some solutions. when the car is not moving much and I make very short trips of 15 km per week you present this problem, a little oil is dripping from the turbocharger from Wastegate valve lever. while when the car travels 80 kilometers and also once a week or long trips it has no problem. also the power of the car is very good, and it has not the slightest other obvious problem and without any error recorded.
Attached Images

Last edited by alex_th32; 05-24-2022 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 04:23 PM   #2
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Are you sure this is from crankcase ventilation system though? That looks like oil leaking from the turbo actuator rod, which can be due to a few different reasons.

If your crankcase ventilation system is completely blocked, then yes, high crankcase pressures can expel oil out from the turbo, into your intake, out the exhaust, wherever it can go.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

After a long time and many steps to diagnose the problem, and also check various cases of possible problems, which we know with the help of the ISTA program and we can also analyze: eg turbocharger problem. turbocharger oil pipe block. increased crankcase pressure. the clogged particle filter etc. change the crankcase valve for precautionary reasons. all this showed nothing and no problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

Therefore I found that the oils come from the crankcase vent and you collect and stagnate in the exhaust because the car has very little use and makes very short journeys. My first step was to take out the intercooler and clean it, I found that it had enough oil inside and I did a lot of washing to clean it very well. I also made a construction with Universal Provent 200 Oil Separator Catch Can Filter to reduce this problem I will show you in detail what I have done to help anyone who has a similar problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-07-2022, 06:03 PM   #5
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Are you sure this is from crankcase ventilation system though? That looks like oil leaking from the turbo actuator rod, which can be due to a few different reasons.

If your crankcase ventilation system is completely blocked, then yes, high crankcase pressures can expel oil out from the turbo, into your intake, out the exhaust, wherever it can go.

no i'm not 100% sure i think i have checked everything. is the last thing I can imagine a problem with the turbocharger. but this is unlikely, for the soft use of the car. any help is important. what you described is all right. if you have any other idea about what might happen please can you write me thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #6
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

Hello, can you all, in the same car as mine, look at this spot where I am soaked in oil, to write to me that it is yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 11:23 PM   #7
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Most of us are from the US so we only have n47 328d here. But maybe someone from UK or Eau will be by amd has an idea.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 04:12 AM   #8
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Most of us are from the US so we only have n47 328d here. But maybe someone from UK or Eau will be by amd has an idea.
Theres a lot of oil in air pipes in these cars. I just did a manifold clean and there was a lot of oil in the manifold and the pipes. Not dripping oil but just wet, which is completely normal and acceptable in diesels due to crankcase ventilation. I never ever topped up on oil, nor I have noticed a oil consumption ( In my case this oil from crankcase doesn't bother me at all, since I don't have the DPF nor EGR, there is nothing this oil can stick to and it just gets burned trough.

As for your case, it seem like the leak is coming from the exhaust side?? The photo you showed shows a wet wastegate? I would strip more around it and tracy it back. It either some seal thats gone or it leaking on the joint and rolling back or your turbo oil pipe leaking. Just around that area oil turbo feed pipes are joined by a rubber hose and two jubilee clips. Id check that
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:32 AM   #9
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

Thank you very much for your answers I really appreciate. I have now done a lot of in-depth work and I will share it with you. unfortunately the result is the same, we are very sorry .... this problem has become a bad nightmare for me. I will share everything with you. I am an electronics mechanic but unfortunately I have no experience in this car and what I do I gain experience in it
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:57 AM   #10
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

alex_th32 I will check my wife's X5 with N57 engine this evening and will share the results with you. Last I checked, I do not think there was an issue with turbo leaking oil from anywhere, including the actuator. Her intake pipe downstream from the PCV valve does have some surface oil build up. None is dripping like yours, just a little surface sweating from the pipe connections that built up over 60K miles. When I have time, I plan to disassemble that section and give it a good cleaning. Been busy lately.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:59 AM   #11
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

this is where you find the oils. I am from the bottom of the engine I have removed the particulate filter to check it, which is in very good condition
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #12
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

I checked the supercharger for gaps and in the first one from the point where there is little oil, I found that it has no gaps and is very clean of oils from both sides
I checked with the telescopic camera very well
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #13
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

After thinking and calculating that the car has not worked hard I found and studied the system of dual turbochargers I analyzed their functionality, I found that when the car operates in a mild degree then the small turbocharger is in main operation continuously and you only charge.

I completely uninstalled the small turbocharger , I found it to have some gaps but within acceptable limits. you find there burnt oil on the side of the air intakes, and finding that this turbo charger is not water cooled like the big one. consequently reaching high temperatures

I found inside a lot of burnt oils and some spots that are clogged
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #14
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

I also checked all the oil drain pipes from the turbo chargers I changed everything precautionarily I also changed the turbo charger to a new one and the result was what I expected, nothing again the same results as if nothing happened. I cleaned the intercooler again for the second time.
And again now before the intercooler has some oils
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 11:11 AM   #15
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Some oil in the charge air tract is completely normal. I'd stop replacing parts if I were you, and instead I'd drive the car like it's meant to be driven: pretty hard.

Turbodiesels NEED to be driven on boost, not babied around. Put everything back together, make sure you have no boost leaks, and get on that accelerator. Rev it to 2500 rpms when cold and at least 3000 rpms when warm, don't drive it like grandma and it will thank you.
      05-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #16
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
alex_th32 I will check my wife's X5 with N57 engine this evening and will share the results with you. Last I checked, I do not think there was an issue with turbo leaking oil from anywhere, including the actuator. Her intake pipe downstream from the PCV valve does have some surface oil build up. None is dripping like yours, just a little surface sweating from the pipe connections that built up over 60K miles. When I have time, I plan to disassemble that section and give it a good cleaning. Been busy lately.
thank you very much I will wait for your news. I want to tell you that at this point you will look at it is very difficult to access, to me only with the telescopic camera I can see it or if I put my palm and my fingers then I see oils on my fingers. also be very careful because at that point it has a very high temperature.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 11:30 AM   #17
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Theres a lot of oil in air pipes in these cars. I just did a manifold clean and there was a lot of oil in the manifold and the pipes. Not dripping oil but just wet, which is completely normal and acceptable in diesels due to crankcase ventilation. I never ever topped up on oil, nor I have noticed a oil consumption ( In my case this oil from crankcase doesn't bother me at all, since I don't have the DPF nor EGR, there is nothing this oil can stick to and it just gets burned trough.

As for your case, it seem like the leak is coming from the exhaust side?? The photo you showed shows a wet wastegate? I would strip more around it and tracy it back. It either some seal thats gone or it leaking on the joint and rolling back or your turbo oil pipe leaking. Just around that area oil turbo feed pipes are joined by a rubber hose and two jubilee clips. Id check that

yes what you are writing is correct, thanks for the suggestion. the leak comes from the exhaust side, a wet wastegate. and come from the inside from the exhaust just before the particulate filter. this only happens when the car is idling
you can see her new photos I uploaded. please if you can be more detailed i would really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 12:05 PM   #18
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post
Some oil in the charge air tract is completely normal. I'd stop replacing parts if I were you, and instead I'd drive the car like it's meant to be driven: pretty hard.

Turbodiesels NEED to be driven on boost, not babied around. Put everything back together, make sure you have no boost leaks, and get on that accelerator. Rev it to 2500 rpms when cold and at least 3000 rpms when warm, don't drive it like grandma and it will thank you.

you are absolutely right. I do not intend to change anything else. at high performance there is no leakage, and also at distances outside the city because at that point we will have very high temperatures so the oil will burn before it can escape. The leak occurs when the car is idling at traffic lights or in a traffic jam or if the car is idling. if I leave it idle for half an hour then the oils will appear dripping on the bottom of the engine but it's a strange problem and i think it should not happen, it's very mysterious. and also note that there is no low engine oil level I estimate that at 8-9 thousand kilometers I will lack about 300 - 400 grams
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:08 PM   #19
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Looking at the photo, there is oil coming trought the turbo! Im shocked to see oil dripping into the dpf, as that section is a hot section and the oil would burn instantly. Makes sense what you say when you idle, cause that's when temps are low and the oil is not burned out. I would check again the crankcase ventilation system and make sure nothing is blocked. Also when the engine is running at idle, and you open the oil cap, is there a lot of back pressure??

Sound like there is excess oil in the charge system, and the only way for oil to get there is trough ventilation system.

Try this: Unplug the egr valve completely. You will have warning lights, but the car will still drive fine. Test like that and see if the oil leak improves or no, to eliminate one more problem
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:14 AM   #20
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Looking at the photo, there is oil coming trought the turbo! Im shocked to see oil dripping into the dpf, as that section is a hot section and the oil would burn instantly. Makes sense what you say when you idle, cause that's when temps are low and the oil is not burned out. I would check again the crankcase ventilation system and make sure nothing is blocked. Also when the engine is running at idle, and you open the oil cap, is there a lot of back pressure??

Sound like there is excess oil in the charge system, and the only way for oil to get there is trough ventilation system.

Try this: Unplug the egr valve completely. You will have warning lights, but the car will still drive fine. Test like that and see if the oil leak improves or no, to eliminate one more problem

The first thing I did when I spotted the oil leak (about 1 year ago) was to look at and replace the valve but before I did that I checked the crankcase pressure and everything was looking right, in any case I replaced it in a new look at the photos.

I also installed an air filtration system, which comes out of the crankcase. #Provent 200 Ölabscheider Catch Can Filter# and this showed nothing, only on the walls of the container is sweaty and nothing else.

also when I open the oil filler cap while the engine is running, there is no air pressure. but if I close the vent pipe then air comes out with oil mist.

it's very mysterious really
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:47 AM   #21
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep

I will ask some questions which are considered ridiculous, rather questions of despair.
before I found the leak I had changed the oil brand to TOP TEC 4600 5W-30 LIQUI MOLY but I do not know before if I had this problem. is there a case to be related to this?

also the big turbine that I checked well and I did not find an obvious problem, it had no gambling, it did not have burnt oils, it looked very good. there is a case however he has a problem and leaks oils, is this possible?

is there a case of high oil pressure?

Last edited by alex_th32; 05-11-2022 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 09:57 PM   #22
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

I just realized how little space there is. Sorry that my photos are crap, but probably in a week or two, I will disassemble the intake pipes to clean them. I am attaching a photo of the pipe where sticky sweat is. The turbo and actuator are bone dry.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1