F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Lockdown - Christmas 2021
Extreme Powerhouse

11-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #155
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
Because anyone that hasn't been living under a rock for the past 18 months knows full well what this government means when it starts off 'let's review in a few weeks'.
Ah, so you are assuming and have no knowledge....

(every time they have said we will review in 3 weeks they have.... you might not like the answer but they have)
True, the annoyance is caused by the likelihood of what follows…
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #156
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
True, the annoyance is caused by the likelihood of what follows…
Just imagine your livelihood depended on those decisions and restrictions and such decimated your income... but still you think its right to do what the scientists say....?
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #157
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
'More of a handle on it' - and what will that look like? We've vaccinated anyone that wants it, what more do you want? The virus isn't going anywhere, the risk to Joe Public is extremely low, we need to get on with life now.
How old are your parents? grandparents? any friends who are at risk?

Cos the "risk" to Joe Public isnt so low if you fall in those groups....
Life isn't risk free? It never was. The odds of someone who is triple vacc'd dying of COVID (vulnerable or not) is now so far down the list they've probably got more chance of getting hit by lightning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
The reaction from many in this country since yesterday has been frankly embarrassing in my view. We've been asked to wear a mask whilst shopping and on public transport for a few weeks whilst the scientists go about establishing just how much of a threat this new variant may or may not be. That's it. Hardly a big ask. Yet there's people bleating on about tyranny etc. Dear me. What a load of monumental crybabies we share this island with. What makes many here have this warped sense of entitlement compared to the rest of the world?
'for a few weeks'
Even if they said it was going to be for the whole of this winter and every winter moving forwards until we have more of a handle on it. How long are you actually spending on the bus and then wandering round Primark that it makes enough of a difference in your life that it's worth complaining about and not doing?
'More of a handle on it' - and what will that look like? We've vaccinated anyone that wants it, what more do you want? The virus isn't going anywhere, the risk to Joe Public is extremely low, we need to get on with life now.
I know it's tough but I've decided that I can still get on with my life with a bit of cloth over my mouth on occasion. It's a shame you can't. I reckon I'll definitely be up for the Pride of Britain award next year for the sacrifices I'm making.
Good for you, that's your choice.
Now please explain what you meant by 'more of a handle on it' - are we going to extend this emergency coronavirus legislation indefinitely? Am I going to have to worry that when I book my holiday in ten years time there's a chance the country will be red-listed overnight and I'll face a £2k bill on my return?
What about the other 20 causes of death now all listed higher than COVID-19?
No idea about red lists and your holidays in the next decade. We were talking about wearing a mask in a shop as that's what we've been asked to do to try and slow down the transmission of the virus.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      11-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #158
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How old are your parents? grandparents? any friends who are at risk?

Cos the "risk" to Joe Public isnt so low if you fall in those groups....
Life isn't risk free? It never was. The odds of someone who is triple vacc'd dying of COVID (vulnerable or not) is now so far down the list they've probably got more chance of getting hit by lightning.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The reaction from many in this country since yesterday has been frankly embarrassing in my view. We've been asked to wear a mask whilst shopping and on public transport for a few weeks whilst the scientists go about establishing just how much of a threat this new variant may or may not be. That's it. Hardly a big ask. Yet there's people bleating on about tyranny etc. Dear me. What a load of monumental crybabies we share this island with. What makes many here have this warped sense of entitlement compared to the rest of the world?
'for a few weeks'
Even if they said it was going to be for the whole of this winter and every winter moving forwards until we have more of a handle on it. How long are you actually spending on the bus and then wandering round Primark that it makes enough of a difference in your life that it's worth complaining about and not doing?
I know it's tough but I've decided that I can still get on with my life with a bit of cloth over my mouth on occasion. It's a shame you can't. I reckon I'll definitely be up for the Pride of Britain award next year for the sacrifices I'm making.
Good for you, that's your choice.
Now please explain what you meant by 'more of a handle on it' - are we going to extend this emergency coronavirus legislation indefinitely? Am I going to have to worry that when I book my holiday in ten years time there's a chance the country will be red-listed overnight and I'll face a £2k bill on my return?
What about the other 20 causes of death now all listed higher than COVID-19?
No idea about red lists and your holidays in the next decade. We were talking about wearing a mask in a shop as that's what we've been asked to do to try and slow down the transmission of the virus.
No, as part of the same measures a number of countries have been added to the defunct red list and PCR tests are now mandatory again for all arrivals.
The worry is the ease at which this legislation continues to allow the government to enact some pretty crippling draconian measures with little notice nor challenge.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:26 PM   #159
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
No, as part of the same measures a number of countries have been added to the defunct red list and PCR tests are now mandatory again for all arrivals.
The worry is the ease at which this legislation continues to allow the government to enact some pretty crippling draconian measures with little notice nor challenge.

If this variant really does the ability to bypass the protection offered by vaccine we'll be in full lock down by xmas. Even with lockdown Jan/Feb of this year was pretty horrific for COVID related morbidity/mortality in hospital. Yes we have newer drugs but I was going around essentially watching 50% of people I look after die before my eyes.

Given the fact the public is very unlikely to 'accept' another full lock down, the potential for chaos of this variant could be easily as bad/worse than anything we have delt with before.

Ofcourse no one can know what will happen next, interms of health care planning anything beyond 3 months in the future seems pretty unpredictable .
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:35 AM   #160
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
'for a few weeks'
Hold the front page. You seem to have completed the scientific analysis on omnicrom that the world is still carrying out. Could you drop your papers into a few key people in the health orgs please?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:06 AM   #161
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Omicron spreading in the community, in Scotland... according to the latest BBC news interview.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:50 AM   #162
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Omicron spreading in the community, in Scotland... according to the latest BBC news interview.
Are there more cases of this variant in Scotland where mask wearing laws are in place?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:28 AM   #163
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Are there more cases of this variant in Scotland where mask wearing laws are in place?
There case rate per 100k people is not drastically less than ours either despite their mask rules.

If masks were the big protector they claim, would you not expect their case numbers to be significantly less than England's?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:37 AM   #164
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
There case rate per 100k people is not drastically less than ours either despite their mask rules.

If masks were the big protector they claim, would you not expect their case numbers to be significantly less than England's?
Kinda why I was asking. I suspect there are similar portions of entitled people in Scotland as rest of UK so with mask wearing being (continuously) law there, you might expect cases, of any variant, to be significantly less.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:50 AM   #165
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Kinda why I was asking. I suspect there are similar portions of entitled people in Scotland as rest of UK so with mask wearing being (continuously) law there, you might expect cases, of any variant, to be significantly less.
Likely a combination of people not bothering and the fact masks are not a silver bullet, especially the cloth ones. The reality is that unless you get substantial compliance (i.e. 80% or more) then the impact is going to be limited at best.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:11 AM   #166
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Quote:
Laws still in place up here , unfortunately still loads of "people" not bothering with masks as they think they are exempt / selfish / thoughtless / brainless / immune etc.

Had to have a chat with the staff at the gym a few days ago as their "rules" seem to have slipped regarding mask wearing and cleaning the machines after use, without doubt the >25`s are the worst.

K
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:24 AM   #167
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
Had to have a chat with the staff at the gym a few days ago as their "rules" seem to have slipped regarding mask wearing and cleaning the machines after use, without doubt the >25`s are the worst.

K
Interesting as in my local gym (that I've stopped going to after a few sessions as a result) it was the teenagers not giving a crap and the employees doing nothing about it. In contrast the gym that's a bit further away and needs to be driven to is fine. The climbing wall on the other hand is a different matter as it's full of scongy old guys who don't have any personal hygiene at the best of times, let alone during a pandemic where they should be being more careful!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:54 AM   #168
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
let alone during a pandemic where they should be being more careful!
The members that are not following the rules are the ones that , pre Covid , leave the machines plated up , spend more time exercising their jaw muscles talking or their digits on the phone or taking pics of themselves , basically the inconsiderate ones so no surprise the cant be bothered wiping their bodily fluids or cleaning the touchpoints of the machines or wearing a mask, despite the rules.

However if a member if their family was to fall ill . or worse. with C19 then they would be the first to complain that it was everyone else`s fault.

Morning rant over.

K
Appreciate 2
mcscoobs169.00
Ennoch2257.00
      11-29-2021, 06:03 AM   #169
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Seems being selfish fuckers isn't a uniquely British trait.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59456332
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:54 AM   #170
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Seems being selfish fuckers isn't a uniquely British trait.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59456332
Sadly they can be found the world over. Looks like their quarantine got a bit longer and more expensive.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #171
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Some subtle messaging from Jonathan Pie

https://twitter.com/JonathanPieNews/...a4uDw&s=09
      11-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #172
Lando72
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Some subtle messaging from Jonathan Pie

https://twitter.com/JonathanPieNews/...K6NHa4uDw&s=09
Ha, saw this last year. Still funny and relevant now.

As someone else said, stop mistaking a minor inconvenience for oppression.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:33 PM   #173
Roo12
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 4 Series GC M Sport +

We are meant to be going to Alicante 17th back Christmas Eve, all double and booster jabbed apart from 15 year who has had only the one, so depending upon what Spain classes as fully vaccinated she might not meet fully vaccinated status.

Also Christmas is probably cancelled if you have to sort a PCR at 3:00 Christmas Eve afternoon and isolate until a result.

Had quite a shitty year and was looking forward to a break before Christmas but thinks it's looking doomed!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #174
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo12 View Post
We are meant to be going to Alicante 17th back Christmas Eve, all double and booster jabbed apart from 15 year who has had only the one, so depending upon what Spain classes as fully vaccinated she might not meet fully vaccinated status.

Also Christmas is probably cancelled if you have to sort a PCR at 3:00 Christmas Eve afternoon and isolate until a result.

Had quite a shitty year and was looking forward to a break before Christmas but thinks it's looking doomed!
I’m not even going to bother booking a trip abroad for next year, this new variant means 6+ months of on/off restrictions so I just can’t be arsed worrying about whether I have to wear a mask everywhere I go or whether I have had my 14th booster just to go in the first place.

People tend to book over the winter for summer holidays so another bleak year for the travel industry.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #175
Lando72
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
I’m not even going to bother booking a trip abroad for next year, this new variant means 6+ months of on/off restrictions so I just can’t be arsed worrying about whether I have to wear a mask everywhere I go or whether I have had my 14th booster just to go in the first place.

People tend to book over the winter for summer holidays so another bleak year for the travel industry.
I’m less pessimistic. Mask wearing is common on flights and everywhere apart from here anyway, and seems pretty well adhered to. Minor inconvenience in the scheme of things. Testing rules have gone back and forth all year as well.

I think it might put off those yet to get back travelling, but those who’ve been a few times I think will just shrug and carry on.

Although, I don’t really see the scientific logic of a test on or before day 2 for travelling. I go for one or two days at a time with work, as many do, whatever I catch whilst away is very unlikely to show in a test the day after.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #176
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo12 View Post

Problem is I don't see how the position will be any different next year now, given how nervously people jump on the mask-wearing&restrictions bandwagon at the sound of the latest 'concerning' variant. Seems to be little willingness to break the cycle or accept that at some point we need to get on with life…
Appreciate 0