F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Tuned Texans, what oil do you use and interval changes?
GetBMWParts

01-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #1
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Tuned Texans, what oil do you use and interval changes?

So I switched from pennzoil platinum euro pure plus full synthetic 5w-40 per my last oil change o liquimoly special tech 5w-30 and the car has felt very smooth since.

From what I gather, many people feel liquimoly is overpriced boutique oil that just looks nice and has mediocre components versus many others like pennzoil and motul. The reason I would want to stay, is that I purchased it through fcpeuro and shipping to them would probably be cheaper than buying new oil at this point. However, I have recently gone FBO with a high flow catted dp and will be going stage two relatively soon.

This year, I only drove about 2500 miles since May and I will probably drive more next year, so I will be doing my oil change in January. 8 months seems like a fine interval change just due to my limited and non-intensive driving style (yet )

So to my southern friends and those in warmer climates, what oil and weight do you use? And how often do you change your oil? time or mile based?
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #2
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacinto View Post
So I switched from pennzoil platinum euro pure plus full synthetic 5w-40 per my last oil change o liquimoly special tech 5w-30 and the car has felt very smooth since.

From what I gather, many people feel liquimoly is overpriced boutique oil that just looks nice and has mediocre components versus many others like pennzoil and motul. The reason I would want to stay, is that I purchased it through fcpeuro and shipping to them would probably be cheaper than buying new oil at this point. However, I have recently gone FBO with a high flow catted dp and will be going stage two relatively soon.

This year, I only drove about 2500 miles since May and I will probably drive more next year, so I will be doing my oil change in January. 8 months seems like a fine interval change just due to my limited and non-intensive driving style (yet )

So to my southern friends and those in warmer climates, what oil and weight do you use? And how often do you change your oil? time or mile based?
Going from PPE to Liqui Moly is two steps back.
It is nothing but mediocre product with fancy Made in Germany sign.
Appreciate 3
djacinto343.00
F32Fleet3539.50
      01-01-2022, 05:03 PM   #3
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:

Since I'm still learning about how all the oils work and what not, I like to hear outside ideas.

Like I mentioned in my post the main reason I swapped was simply due to fcp's warranty, but I care about my car's health and performance first

So now if I go back to the Pennzoil, what makes it a better performer? Is it the lubricant or the additives?
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Since I'm still learning about how all the oils work and what not, I like to hear outside ideas.

Like I mentioned in my post the main reason I swapped was simply due to fcp's warranty, but I care about my car's health and performance first

So now if I go back to the Pennzoil, what makes it a better performer? Is it the lubricant or the additives?
I written about this subject to the great lengths in M2 subforum and several others. You can research there for more detailed response.
In F30 platform 328 (N20/26) PPE 5W40 is best bet bcs. low Zinc level (low Zinc good for timing chain guides) and it is bit (just bit) heavier than LL01 5W30 oil (it is just over 12.5cst which is borderline that separates XW30 and XW40). Timing chain guides love heavier stuff.
Pennzoil utilizes gas to liquid technology (GTL) which is step up from Group III hydrocracked oils that Liqui Moly utilizes.
If N/S55, Castrol Edge 0W40 is best oil to go with. Forget LL01. I also explained in details why in some engines (N20/26, B36/48/58) LL01 or LL04 are important and why in some it is irrelevant (N51/52/53/54/55/62/63, S55/63/65 etc).
If B48/58 PPE 5W40 is again best bet or Motul X-Cess 5W40 Gen2.
Appreciate 4
djacinto343.00
F32Fleet3539.50
123Britt287.00
TX55241.00
      01-01-2022, 10:59 PM   #5
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I written about this subject to the great lengths in M2 subforum and several others. You can research there for more detailed response.
In F30 platform 328 (N20/26) PPE 5W40 is best bet bcs. low Zinc level (low Zinc good for timing chain guides) and it is bit (just bit) heavier than LL01 5W30 oil (it is just over 12.5cst which is borderline that separates XW30 and XW40). Timing chain guides love heavier stuff.
Pennzoil utilizes gas to liquid technology (GTL) which is step up from Group III hydrocracked oils that Liqui Moly utilizes.
If N/S55, Castrol Edge 0W40 is best oil to go with. Forget LL01. I also explained in details why in some engines (N20/26, B36/48/58) LL01 or LL04 are important and why in some it is irrelevant (N51/52/53/54/55/62/63, S55/63/65 etc).
If B48/58 PPE 5W40 is again best bet or Motul X-Cess 5W40 Gen2.
I use that Castrol 0w-40 and my oil reports have always been great. I don't think they changed the formula and it's still the same as when it was officially LL-01. It's also like $22 for 5 quarts, can't go wrong.
Appreciate 2
edycol1486.00
djacinto343.00
      01-04-2022, 04:08 AM   #6
VIKING NZ
Rep
Drives: BMW320D F30 2016

Hello guys. My 2 cents. I would recommend strongly Fuchs. It's really good smooth nice oil , the engine sounds amazingly quiet, changing every K10km. making sure the engine is looked after. No complaints at all.
Attached Images

djacinto343.00
      01-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
VIKING NZ
Rep
Drives: BMW320D F30 2016

Good Morning mate,

This is what I am using - a fully synthetic oil for high performance engines - changes are made every 10000km only not based on annual usage as I do K10
Km for less than an year.
Once I hit K10 - filter and oil are replaced.
The engine is relieved and the output is maximum hassle free performance.
Hopefully this helps.

TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 SAE 5W-30
Premium Performance, extreme fuel-economy engine oil with new XTL®-Technology for optimum cold start ability and outstanding performance reserves. For modern passenger cars and light commercial vehicles with or without extended service intervals. Specially developed for BMW, VW and Mercedes-Benz vehicles with exhaust after treatment and turbocharger.
Specifications
ACEA C3
API SN
Approvals
BMW LONGLIFE-04
MB-APPROVAL 229.51
PORSCHE C30
VW 504 00/507 00
FUCHS Recommendations
CHRYSLER MS-11106
FIAT 9.55535-S3
MB 229.52
Attached Images

djacinto343.00
      02-14-2022, 12:13 PM   #8
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING NZ View Post
Good Morning mate,

This is what I am using - a fully synthetic oil for high performance engines - changes are made every 10000km only not based on annual usage as I do K10
Km for less than an year.
Once I hit K10 - filter and oil are replaced.
The engine is relieved and the output is maximum hassle free performance.
Hopefully this helps.

TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 SAE 5W-30
Premium Performance, extreme fuel-economy engine oil with new XTLŽ-Technology for optimum cold start ability and outstanding performance reserves. For modern passenger cars and light commercial vehicles with or without extended service intervals. Specially developed for BMW, VW and Mercedes-Benz vehicles with exhaust after treatment and turbocharger.
Specifications
ACEA C3
API SN
Approvals
BMW LONGLIFE-04
MB-APPROVAL 229.51
PORSCHE C30
VW 504 00/507 00
FUCHS Recommendations
CHRYSLER MS-11106
FIAT 9.55535-S3
MB 229.52