F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Climate control issue
proTUNING Freaks

01-16-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i Sport Black

Climate control issue

Hi there,
The issue that I have is that every now and again my car keeps blowing roasting hot air from all the vents. I normally have it on Auto with 21c on both sides and all the blue/red dials centered and it's working well and keeps the interior at comfortable temperature. However every now and again like today something goes wrong and it keeps blowing hot air.
It's 7c outside. Both sides set to 21c and it's absolutely roasting. And there's nothing I can so to fix it. If I bring both sides all the way down to 16c it starts blowing cold air. If I change it to 17c it starts blowing hot air again. Manual mode does the same.
The only way to fix it is to turn the car off, wait couple of minutes for the car to go to sleep. Then start the car again and hope for the best. However this is not ideal when you're on motorway.
Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:35 AM   #2
GOF_430d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 430d convertible

Just thinking about your problem, one reason could be a faulty thermostat which measures the temperature of the air in the cabin. This would explain why, regardless of the temperature set point, only hot air is delivered.

No idea how to test this theory though.

I remember a problem with a colleagues car [Vauxhall] years ago, which was caused by the external temperature sensor being faulty - however in this instance the external temperature display was blank.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:02 AM   #3
Bigdmf
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 series Gran Coupe

I had a similar issue on mine, only happened once but turned out to be a stuck thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdmf View Post
I had a similar issue on mine, only happened once but turned out to be a stuck thermostat.
Seems like mine gets stuck every now and again. Not very often. Happened maybe twice in the past 3-4 months but my worry is that it will get worse.
I also checked the fault codes on ista but nothing related popped up. Don't know if it's a good or bad thing tho because if there was a fault code then I'd at least know where to look.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOF_430d View Post
Just thinking about your problem, one reason could be a faulty thermostat which measures the temperature of the air in the cabin. This would explain why, regardless of the temperature set point, only hot air is delivered.

No idea how to test this theory though.

I remember a problem with a colleagues car [Vauxhall] years ago, which was caused by the external temperature sensor being faulty - however in this instance the external temperature display was blank.
My external temp works perfectly fine. So I don't think it's related to my issue.
Appreciate 0