F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bluetooth sound upgrade ?
proTUNING Freaks

06-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
mclarenking25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30

Bluetooth sound upgrade ?

Hi,
Is there any way to make the Bluetooth sound any better it sounds so flat and quiet compared to the Sirius XM radio. I know it'll never be the same but is there any way of making it closer. I have a 2016 f30 with the full bavsound upgrade amp speakers subs, using an Andriod phone and Spotify. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 07:25 PM   #2
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenking25 View Post
Hi,
Is there any way to make the Bluetooth sound any better it sounds so flat and quiet compared to the Sirius XM radio. I know it'll never be the same but is there any way of making it closer. I have a 2016 f30 with the full bavsound upgrade amp speakers subs, using an Andriod phone and Spotify. Any help would be appreciated.
Your Bluetooth sound should be significantly better than SXM. What Android phone (and Bluetooth codec)?
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
mclarenking25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Your Bluetooth sound should be significantly better than SXM. What Android phone (and Bluetooth codec)?
An s21 ultra
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Are you limiting bandwidth in spotify? As mentioned above, Bluetooth is MUCH better than Sirus for audio quality.

What happens if you play a song directly from your phone (not using Spotify)?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #5
mclarenking25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Are you limiting bandwidth in Spotify? As mentioned above, Bluetooth is MUCH better than Sirus for audio quality.

What happens if you play a song directly from your phone (not using Spotify)?
Spotify songs are downloaded with the highest quality and I believe it didn't matter il check in the morning
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I thought there was a checkbox or something in the settings to limiting bandwidth. Might be if you just stream them though...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
mclarenking25
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=Wires;27749886]I thought there was a checkbox or something in the settings to limiting bandwidth. Might be if you just stream them though...[/QUOT
I think that's streaming/download quality and it was maxed, and it didn't matter if I player over any other service so its a Bluetooth issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 09:35 AM   #8
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

[QUOTE=mclarenking25;27751843]
Quote:
I thought there was a checkbox or something in the settings to limiting bandwidth. Might be if you just stream them though...[/QUOT
I think that's streaming/download quality and it was maxed, and it didn't matter if I player over any other service so its a Bluetooth issue.
I had the same complaint before I got rid of the Sirius subscription. Actually, the quality over Bluetooth in my car was inferior to every other audio source - CD, hard drive, fm radio, satellite, aux input - by a good margin. I downloaded some of the same songs that are stored on my phone to the car's hard drive and a USB drive and in both cases they sound way better than over Bluetooth. It's just not that good on these cars I believe, and no I don't think anyone found a way to make it better via coding. Plug your phone into the aux or USB ports, and play the same music. Let us know if you hear a difference.
      06-30-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
mclarenking25
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=Jvac;27753701]
Quote:
Quote:
I thought there was a checkbox or something in the settings to limiting bandwidth. Might be if you just stream them though...[/QUOT
I had the same complaint before I got rid of the Sirius subscription. Actually, the quality over Bluetooth in my car was inferior to every other audio source - CD, hard drive, fm radio, satellite, aux input - by a good margin. I downloaded some of the same songs that are stored on my phone to the car's hard drive and a USB drive and in both cases they sound way better than over Bluetooth. It's just not that good on these cars I believe, and no I don't think anyone found a way to make it better via coding. Plug your phone into the aux or USB ports, and play the same music. Let us know if you hear a difference.
I tried using a usb and spotify doesnt work over usb on andriod in my car, the music downloaded to the phone are the normal samsung songs over the horizon and it still didnt sound as good as sirus
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #10
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Perhaps silly to check, but I just want to make sure that when you are streaming through Bluetooth you have the Bluetooth volume on your phone all of the way up? By this, I'm referring to pressing the up/down volume button on the side of your phone all the way up once Bluetooth is streaming (it should have the Bluetooth icon when adjusting).

A quick internet search describes S21 Ultra users having Bluetooth issues. I'm not sure if this was a widespread issue. One solution mentioned was making sure the 'wireless sync' setting was disabled in Android Auto.

Otherwise, I'd try another phone and other streaming apps. There is no reason for your Bluetooth to be inferior to SXM or FM unless a setting is incorrect or you have a hardware problem.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #11
mclarenking25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Perhaps silly to check, but I just want to make sure that when you are streaming through Bluetooth you have the Bluetooth volume on your phone all of the way up? By this, I'm referring to pressing the up/down volume button on the side of your phone all the way up once Bluetooth is streaming (it should have the Bluetooth icon when adjusting).

A quick internet search describes S21 Ultra users having Bluetooth issues. I'm not sure if this was a widespread issue. One solution mentioned was making sure the 'wireless sync' setting was disabled in Android Auto.

Otherwise, I'd try another phone and other streaming apps. There is no reason for your Bluetooth to be inferior to SXM or FM unless a setting is incorrect or you have a hardware problem.
Volume is all the way up andI had the same problem on a previous phone as well, il try that setting though. also I dont have andriod auto missed that feature by a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:00 AM   #12
Jvac
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=mclarenking25;27754849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I tried using a usb and spotify doesnt work over usb on andriod in my car, the music downloaded to the phone are the normal samsung songs over the horizon and it still didnt sound as good as sirus
Well if you've properly configured the phone and app itself unfortunately there's not much to be done about the car. Bluetooth audio seems to be getting better with each hardware revision that gets released over time, but most cars aren't getting the latest and greatest Bluetooth hardware. Maybe a brand new car at this point, but a car that's even 2 or 3 years old is going to be using a few years' old tech in this regard. If a friend uses his phone to stream in your car is it equally as crappy? I doubt it's the phone anyway. Any audiophile or sound tech will tell you BT sound quality is not on the same level as the other physical/direct connection audio sources. If you find something that improves your setup, I'd love to hear about it. I have the same complaint as you but never found any way to make it better.
      07-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #13
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I'm putting my money on this being a Samsung issue. Every update makes my Bluetooth connectivity worse on my S9 and my kid's S8's.

I'm on month #7 of trying to get Samsung to address my new dryer's issue where the drum light never turns off. They are VERY GOOD at deflecting and pretending their stuff is perfect, so best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
I can't really see why your Bluetooth audio is that bad, either. Maybe the Bluetooth components got better over the years? I have a 7/17 manufactured model and the Bluetooth audio quality is great. My only complaint is that it is significantly quieter than any other audio source, except for the DVD player. Even with the volume up high on my phone I have to crank it up at least twice as high as Sirius. But, once there, the quality is great.

I'd advise using an audio cable. You lose the ability to control your phone with the car, but the quality should improve. You could also load all of your songs onto a USB, that way you could still use the car controls.
I also would echo the thought that it probably is an issue with your phone.

For what useful information it may be worth, I have an iPhone 11 Pro.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #15
Jvac
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
I can't really see why your Bluetooth audio is that bad, either. Maybe the Bluetooth components got better over the years? I have a 7/17 manufactured model and the Bluetooth audio quality is great. My only complaint is that it is significantly quieter than any other audio source, except for the DVD player. Even with the volume up high on my phone I have to crank it up at least twice as high as Sirius. But, once there, the quality is great.

I'd advise using an audio cable. You lose the ability to control your phone with the car, but the quality should improve. You could also load all of your songs onto a USB, that way you could still use the car controls.
I also would echo the thought that it probably is an issue with your phone.

For what useful information it may be worth, I have an iPhone 11 Pro.
Or maybe 2017 models have newer/ better Bluetooth hardware? 2015 like me or 2016 like op may not be the same. We need someone who knows what changes bmw made from one year to the next to rule that out.
      07-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #16
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

For what it's worth, when I first got my car, I had a oneplus, then a note 8 or something, and the Bluetooth sound and stability was atrocious. I went with an iPhone XS, and now have a 12 pro and with both, my sound quality and connection stability are in a whole different league.

It's stupid android gets treated like a second class citizen in most cars, but I was pretty floored over how big a difference the experience was.

For reference I have a 2016 f36. Navi etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #17
mclarenking25
Private First Class
Rep

I filled a usb with music plugged it in and still doesnt sound as good as sirus xm.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:01 AM   #18
arthur1008
China
Rep
Drives: F30

Have you tried to compare playing a song from CD and the same song copied to your phone or USB disk to play?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #19
mclarenking25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur1008 View Post
Have you tried to compare playing a song from CD and the same song copied to your phone or USB disk to play?
I havent tried a cd yet thatll be next
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #20
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

This seems to be the normal from what I've researched
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #21
DrDork
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

Quote:
I filled a usb with music plugged it in and still doesnt sound as good as sirus xm.
Assuming your USB files are of good quality, there's no reason for this to be the case--Sirus/XM quality is variable by channel, but maxes out somewhere around 256kbps AAC equivalent. Throw some FLAC files on there and see if you still get the same thing--if so, it 100% isn't about transmission quality and is something else.

Maybe the Sirus/XM is applying an equalizer band pass that's modifying the music to be more to your liking?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #22
mclarenking25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDork View Post
Quote:
Assuming your USB files are of good quality, there's no reason for this to be the case--Sirus/XM quality is variable by channel, but maxes out somewhere around 256kbps AAC equivalent. Throw some FLAC files on there and see if you still get the same thing--if so, it 100% isn't about transmission quality and is something else.

Maybe the Sirus/XM is applying an equalizer band pass that's modifying the music to be more to your liking?
Its way too different to be an eq, the music just sounds like its throwing more power to the speaker its clearer louder and just better
Appreciate 0