F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Enable Front camera via center contoll button Retrofit.
Extreme Powerhouse

01-21-2021, 09:06 AM   #1
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport F34

Enable Front camera via center contoll button Retrofit.

Hi all,
So i installed the front and back camera on my f34, works as expected, put in D and front comera comes on for about 8-10.

Wanted to fit one of these

So i have as i understand a trip wire coming from front camera?
This is the unit i used:

Av cable connect to Front AV plug and red 12v DC wire to a red wire to provide power ( both front and back camera gets power from 1 red wire coming from that box) my guess all switching is done from that box, eg it picks up if im in D or R and then switches between AV inputs and i guess again the 12v power wire coming from that box constantly powers the front and back camera as soon as ignition is on?

So only way for me me to engage front camera after i drove off is to stop put in to N the in to D, this will engage front camera for 10 seconds.

Is there any way i can engage front camera via control button marken in orange circle above? So when i need to park close to the wall where i live i have to stop N then in D again instead i can just trigger it via button.

Anyone done that before?

Thanks all for any help given.
      01-21-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i Xdrive Msport

Where did you purchase this kit? Or is this oem?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

It's not oem bought it from AliExpress. Loads of them there for diff systems mine is NBT
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerTan View Post
It's not oem bought it from AliExpress. Loads of them there for diff systems mine is NBT
link? i just got a carplay MMI that has this option, but also interested in adding a front camera
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post
link? i just got a carplay MMI that has this option, but also interested in adding a front camera
£93.08 38%OFF | Car Backup Rear Camera For BMW 3 Series F80 F30 F31 F34 F35 2010-2020 Interface Adapter Connect Original Screen Reverse Decoder
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BTu8ed

£17.88 46%OFF | BigBigRoad CCD Car Front View Logo Camera For BMW 3 Seires F30 F31 F34 GT 2016 2017 Waterproof
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BPIxxx
Appreciate 1
aps335.50
      01-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #6
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

So anyone done this? If not may e some help on controller pin that responsible for front cam switch?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
Ace Rimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Quote:
Hi all,
So i installed the front and back camera on my f34, works as expected, put in D and front comera comes on for about 8-10.

Wanted to fit one of these

So i have as i understand a trip wire coming from front camera?
This is the unit i used:

Av cable connect to Front AV plug and red 12v DC wire to a red wire to provide power ( both front and back camera gets power from 1 red wire coming from that box) my guess all switching is done from that box, eg it picks up if im in D or R and then switches between AV inputs and i guess again the 12v power wire coming from that box constantly powers the front and back camera as soon as ignition is on?

So only way for me me to engage front camera after i drove off is to stop put in to N the in to D, this will engage front camera for 10 seconds.

Is there any way i can engage front camera via control button marken in orange circle above? So when i need to park close to the wall where i live i have to stop N then in D again instead i can just trigger it via button.

Anyone done that before?

Thanks all for any help given.
Don't quite know about yours but I have this one and it works really well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-Car-F...IAAOSwRYZfwhGT

However this is connected to a 10.25 Android unit (idrive screen replacement), after reversing cam automatically coming on when reverse is selected it then shows the front cam for 10 secs, but if you want to access the front screen anytime, then press the parking sensor button, press the little controller button via a lead going into the unit and voila, the front cam is on until you press the parking sensor button off. So basically you can access the front cam anytime you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

OP, this plugs into the OEM NBT unit? I'd be interesting in putting this in as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:54 AM   #9
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsinger1971 View Post

However this is connected to a 10.25 Android unit (idrive screen replacement), after reversing cam automatically coming on when reverse is selected it then shows the front cam for 10 secs, but if you want to access the front screen anytime, then press the parking sensor button, press the little controller button via a lead going into the unit and voila, the front cam is on until you press the parking sensor button off. So basically you can access the front cam anytime you want.
Yes so after i installed it it work exactly as you described, put on reverse reverse camera comes on, put in Drive then front camera comes on for about 10 sec. Unfortunately i don't have parking sensor button as described in first post i would like to retrofit and install console which has parking sensor button.

Reason i dont have is i do not have front proximity sensors. Hence each time im parking close to something i have to stop, put car in N then in to D to activate front camera for 10 sec. To stop all that i thought to fit that console as shown above with parking sensor button so i can just press the button and front cam comes on for 10 sec.

Only thing that pisses me off is when i drive and stop at traffic lights i always use to put car in Neutral, but each tome i put in Drive front cam comes on (does that bother you?) so for now when i stop at traffic lights i keep foot on breaks and keep car in Drive.
      01-25-2021, 02:59 AM   #10
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
OP, this plugs into the OEM NBT unit? I'd be interesting in putting this in as well.
Yes its plug and play as installed in to my OEM NBT, no tapping in to any wiring. Ground wire DO NOT connect or tap in to reverse light as this will give you bad picture with loads of noise in it, i just taped wire on to bare metal anywhere on your trunk when you remove trim.
      01-25-2021, 03:01 AM   #11
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsinger1971 View Post

So as far as I understand this, you hadnt to code this after installation, just add and wire this into the loom and thats it? Where and how do you fit this in the front of your car? Would this fit into the stock iDrive system w/o failure codes and errors? Thank you.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 04:28 AM   #12
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
So as far as I understand this, you hadnt to code this after installation, just add and wire this into the loom and thats it? Where and how do you fit this in the front of your car? Would this fit into the stock iDrive system w/o failure codes and errors? Thank you.
Correct coding needed only if you buy original OEM, with this it was plug and play in to stock iDrive, you have to select what unit you have mine was NBT.

You remove your loom and plug the one that comes with the kit in to your NBT, then plug your original loom in to the kit (it becomes kind of extension) Remember to unlip optical cable from original and plug it in to supplied loom.

As i didnt know how to take the boot trim off it took me a long time i think to fit all 6.5 hours, If i to do it again probably can be done in 1 hour.

Front camera clips on to your front grill (measure with caliper or ruler what space you have depending on grill as they come in different sizes before getting front cam) , but i had to cut clips off camera on mine to lower the camera down manually so it would capture bit of my front bumper and use silicone behind it to secure in in angle and place i wanted (silicone comes off easily without damaging grill and/or leaving residue but hard enough to hold camera in place) You can use aquarium silicone or C2 (sold here in UK)

Reason i wanted to see a bit of front bumper is if camera mounted in bracket default position you have no perspective of how close obstacle to your bumper for example high curb. This way i can park easily within half inch of the obstacle. Ill see if i can upload some video when i get home.
      01-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #13
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I owned a RS5 before and got there front and rear cam plus pre sense and during 2 years I'd never touched any unwanted obstacles. Plus, the Gx-Series will bring this now at BMW to life, the simultan sight top + front or rear depends on gear.
At my M4 I have at front parking the PDC manually to select to avoid acustically to bump into some things. My thoughts are as yours, the front cam would reduce the risk to come too close to other cars or obstacles in front of your ride.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #14
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I owned a RS5 before and got there front and rear cam plus pre sense and during 2 years I'd never touched any unwanted obstacles. Plus, the Gx-Series will bring this now at BMW to life, the simultan sight top + front or rear depends on gear.
At my M4 I have at front parking the PDC manually to select to avoid acoustically to bump into some things. My thoughts are as yours, the front cam would reduce the risk to come too close to other cars or obstacles in front of your ride.
If i'd have proximity sensors for the front id leave it facing forward. But as i don't it helps allot getting in to tight spaces. Only reason why i fitted the front camera. Next on the list probably Front Proximity sensors retrofit.
      01-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #15
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If i'd have proximity sensors for the front id leave it facing forward. But as i don't it helps allot getting in to tight spaces. Only reason why i fitted the front camera. Next on the list probably Front Proximity sensors retrofit.
Do you have the bumper side cameras as OEM? Just wondering where the front camera plugs into. Is there a spare connector, or does this replace the bumper side to side cameras?

My car came with surround view (so 2 bumper cameras, two mirror cameras and one rear camera). Just wondering if I have a spare connector in the loom, or if I need to unplug one to get another.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #16
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you have the bumper side cameras as OEM? Just wondering where the front camera plugs into. Is there a spare connector, or does this replace the bumper side to side cameras?

My car came with surround view (so 2 bumper cameras, two mirror cameras and one rear camera). Just wondering if I have a spare connector in the loom, or if I need to unplug one to get another.

Thanks!
No, loom has 360°, rear and front, just 3 inputs in total. Im not sure about plugging in to 360° or what will happen cant be bothered taking all appart again as its a very tight fit behind the unit.

And no i dont have any cameras on my car, this retrofit only for front and rear camera. Front it fitted in to the kidney glill.

If you have 360 i wouldnt unplug any of them. Why you want to unplug? What is the mail reason?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #17
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Oh and here is the video of how back and front non OEM works:

For back i have screen filled with camera fotage and proximity. For front proximity disappears as i dont have front sensors hence the RHS of screen you can see some content from main scree.
Next will be to firt fron sensors for me i guess. But for now not bothered.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:37 PM   #18
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, loom has 360°, rear and front, just 3 inputs in total. Im not sure about plugging in to 360° or what will happen cant be bothered taking all appart again as its a very tight fit behind the unit.

And no i dont have any cameras on my car, this retrofit only for front and rear camera. Front it fitted in to the kidney glill.

If you have 360 i wouldnt unplug any of them. Why you want to unplug? What is the mail reason?
Oh sorry, I don't have 360, just surround view (3 sides, no front). Just hoping with that setup I can connect the camera and it just works.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #19
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Where on the loom do you plug in the front camera? Worth me taking a look before buying the camera ending in sadness.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:08 PM   #20
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i Xdrive Msport

This is dope, just to have. Mite seriously look into getting this and retro fitting it
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:51 PM   #21
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Where on the loom do you plug in the front camera? Worth me taking a look before buying the camera ending in sadness.

Its fairly simple, the loom you get is like extension cable, except that you get 6 cables coming out of it. Well 3 cables and 3 connectors plus a connector that plugs in to decoder.

3 RCA - Front Input, Rear Input and DVR Input

3 Wires
-Reverse Power (cable you tap in to to supply power to front and back camera),
-DVR ACC (if you want to plug in another camera and use as dvr recorder when ignition starts as the unit Decoder box has micro SD slot for storing recording footage, i find it slightly useless as the unit will be fitted behind the NBT or what ever you have as they come for CIC and EVO too, eg to fit 4 pin LVDS, 6 pin LVDS and getting to SD to retrieve footage each time you need is bit silly having to take off your console).Or i guess you can always get Micro SD flex extension cable
-And lastly 360 camera power supply ( i guess it can be done to retrofit 360 as seen here in forums but not something i'm ready to do, thinking im half way there only need to fit 2 mirror cameras but then i need to code. For now the way its done coding not needed.) Plug and play

Last edited by SerTan; 01-26-2021 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 3
paulymu62.50
Dang3r12512.00
Wires1645.50
      01-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #22
Ace Rimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Quote:
No this will only work with an Android head unit.

To have a front and rear cam on idrive stock, you would need BMW OEM hardware, or aftermarket hardware designed to run with idrive stock.
Appreciate 0