F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Possibly rejecting a car
proTUNING Freaks

01-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #243
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

I have always worked on the basis 'only insure what you cant afford to lose'.

For me that is buildings but not contents and if I could get away with just Liability cover on the car I would.

It has always been in the back of my mind not just the profits insurance companies make but also the massive overheads and someone has to pay for that and that someone is ultimately the policy holder.

It has certainly saved me a fortune over the years but I fully understand those that are less financially stable taking the 'Belt & Braces' approach.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #244
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post

For me that is buildings but not contents and if I could get away with just Liability cover on the car I would.

It has always been in the back of my mind not just the profits insurance companies make but also the massive overheads and someone has to pay for that and that someone is ultimately the policy holder.

It has certainly saved me a fortune over the years but I fully understand those that are less financially stable taking the 'Belt & Braces' approach.
I've currently got the insurance brokers doing something called Risk Finance Optimisation which takes your attitude to risk, your ability to afford the loss and the cost of your finance in determining how much insurance to buy. It sort of takes that approach - we could happily take a £15m hit at work and fund it, but wouldnt sit comfortably and the money to pay for it has to come from somewhere so has a cost - so it works out what the ideal balance is. Looking forward to some science behind it as it has been gut feel so far - which when you spend £2m a year on insurance isnt ideal....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #245
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Its like all insurances, how much value do you place on it and the likelihood of it paying out. Its cheap because it rarely pays out much - if it paid out often and large it would be expensive!

And if the worst happens it wouldnt preclude me getting the same car of the same age again - without GAP.

I've also never had a car nicked or totalled in an accident (well only a Fiat Uno that was worth about £2k) but I may now have tempted fate!
Fair enough, I witnessed first hand my brother in laws situation where he ended up flooding the car about 1.5 years old (long story) and the insurance payout was laughable. Luckily he had gap which not only covered the comedy value assigned by the insurers but meant he could move up a spec level to top of the range as a result. Thats why I go for it!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #246
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Re gap

If you can afford the loss on finance then it’s not for you

Chap at work bought an Audi A7 coupe, didn’t like it so chopped in within 6 months for an E220, then aquaplaned it into the central res.

13k deficit in insurance payout to finance settlement value and no gap. All due immediately to settle the finance.

For me, £350 to offset a 13k claim is worth it, it’s £75/year over four years

If you wouldn’t miss 13k then it’s a moot point

Each to there own, all about attitude to risk really.

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13430.00
JustChris17483.00
      01-20-2021, 04:40 PM   #247
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Re gap

If you can afford the loss on finance then it’s not for you

Chap at work bought an Audi A7 coupe, didn’t like it so chopped in within 6 months for an E220, then aquaplaned it into the central res.

13k deficit in insurance payout to finance settlement value and no gap. All due immediately to settle the finance.

For me, £350 to offset a 13k claim is worth it, it’s £75/year over four years

If you wouldn’t miss 13k then it’s a moot point

That’s one very specific example with a high pay out. As Ian says, if risk and pay outs were usually at that scale, premiums would be higher.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #248
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post

Goodness, similar to my approach, but contents of my house certainly isn’t a comfortable replacement. Or the full price of a car.

I insure things that would cause pain to my finances, and they both certainly would. But a wheel, a tyre, a tv, a few scratches on a car, car negative equity, would be annoying, but not lifestyle threatening, so I never insure.

Although I’d love to be in a financial position that meant a hit the size of my house contents didn’t cause a lot of pain.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 01-20-2021 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #249
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Re gap

If you can afford the loss on finance then it's not for you

Chap at work bought an Audi A7 coupe, didn't like it so chopped in within 6 months for an E220, then aquaplaned it into the central res.

For me, £350 to offset a 13k claim is worth it, it's £75/year over four years

If you wouldn't miss 13k then it's a moot point

Always had gap. Spent £600 over past 4 years on
3 different cars on GAP(ALA). No incidents so far touch wood but mainly worried about car theft hence took them out(along with ring cameras and monitored burglar alarm with police response and Faraday pouch.)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #250
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Goodness, similar to my approach, but contents of my house certainly isn’t a comfortable replacement. Or the full price of a car.

I insure things that would cause pain to my finances, and they both certainly would. But a wheel, a tyre, a tv, a few scratches on a car, car negative equity, would be annoying, but not lifestyle threatening, so I never insure.

Although I’d love to be in a financial position that meant a hit the size of my house contents didn’t cause a lot of pain.
I suspect your house contents are considerably more valuable than mine. No Hi Tech gear, I still have a 'box' TV in the lounge, an old Marantz HiFi from the 80's and no jewellery to speak of.

I am a man of very few luxuries much to my sons chagrin who is a Flash Harry.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 01:56 AM   #251
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Quote:
Re gap

If you can afford the loss on finance then it's not for you

Chap at work bought an Audi A7 coupe, didn't like it so chopped in within 6 months for an E220, then aquaplaned it into the central res.

For me, £350 to offset a 13k claim is worth it, it's £75/year over four years

If you wouldn't miss 13k then it's a moot point

Always had gap. Spent £600 over past 4 years on
3 different cars on GAP(ALA). No incidents so far touch wood but mainly worried about car theft hence took them out(along with ring cameras and monitored burglar alarm with police response and Faraday pouch.)
You can transfer GAP between cars if it's been a recent change
      01-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #252
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

I know this thread is more about GAP now than LR reliability but I just thought I'd mention that they came bottom of the latest Which? magazine reliability table (yet again).

The comment on the Freelander made me chuckle - "It's not worth it unless you're an enthusiast and a decent mechanic".

That model's a bit long in the tooth of course, but the current ones don't score any higher.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:48 AM   #253
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I know this thread is more about GAP now than LR reliability but I just thought I'd mention that they came bottom of the latest Which? magazine reliability table (yet again).

The comment on the Freelander made me chuckle - "It's not worth it unless you're an enthusiast and a decent mechanic".

That model's a bit long in the tooth of course, but the current ones don't score any higher.
Freelander!

I can quite see why they are bottom, even for more modern cars. One of the questions in these surveys would, I am sure from memory, be "any faults?" and then perhaps "how many?".

I recently called up to ask the dealer to look at five things under warranty. They are all very minor, but it's exactly why they would come bottom. My answer would be 5.

Judged on the same criteria, I would put my first BMW at one fault and my second BMW at two faults. And our Toyota at zero. Oh and my first LR, the subject of this thread, as one fault!

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #254
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Freelander!

I can quite see why they are bottom, even for more modern cars. One of the questions in these surveys would, I am sure from memory, be "any faults?" and then perhaps "how many?".

I recently called up to ask the dealer to look at five things under warranty. They are all very minor, but it's exactly why they would come bottom. My answer would be 5.

Judged on the same criteria, I would put my first BMW at one fault and my second BMW at two faults. And our Toyota at zero. Oh and my first LR, the subject of this thread, as one fault!
Yes, they look at the number, frequency and severity of faults (based on whether it renders the car undriveable or not I think). BMW are roughly mid-table and pretty much all the top spots are Japanese (with a couple of Korean), so your experience seems fairly consistent.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #255
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
whenever I see a carpathian grey RRS HSE dynamic with panoramic roof black pack and espresso almond interior go by I feel how close I was to owning one 6 months ago. Head v Heart.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #256
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
whenever I see a carpathian grey RRS HSE dynamic with panoramic roof black pack and espresso almond interior go by I feel how close I was to owning one 6 months ago. Head v Heart.
Definitely head vs heart. When I see a X7, heart says phew and head says damn. Probably as torn between the two brands as I ever was!

When I see a highlander, the wallet is going to join the head in saying damn.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #257
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Yes every time I see all 37 identical options I wonder what could have been.

That was a very specific list
      01-24-2021, 04:04 PM   #258
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
head heart wallet..beautiful representation of the incredible struggles which would bring a tear to any grown man's eyes.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 09:55 AM   #259
iceymayne
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335d, G05 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
Steps in as plenty of experience rejecting cars.......

I completely understand where people are coming from with the 'it's a fixable niggle' approach and the compensation angle for lack of use/inconvenience etc but is suppose the question you have to ask yourself is how you feel about how reliable it's going to be down the line?

I know none us us have Cristal balls and any car can develop an electrical fault given the complexities of the control systems. In your shoes, I would have been more comfortable if it had developed a fault, had it fixed and didn't re-occur.

Alarm bells would be ringing loudly with me with repeat faults and dealer visits in such a short time.

In your instance, it has had a fault, the dealer has attempted repair and it has failed again. You have every right to reject it should you wish.

Contrary to popular belief, the rejection process is simple. It's a consumer right so it's not really about the dealer or finance company 'playing ball'. They have no choice!

If you decide to go down that route I have a template letter which has served me well which I can share with you.

Rukka
Hi Rukka, do you still have template handy?
Appreciate 0