F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 320i Bootmod3 Stage1 93 logs
Extreme Powerhouse

01-15-2020, 01:19 AM   #23
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbox View Post
Ooof yea missed the detail about yours being a 320i. They claimed that the new tune they gave me didn't actually drop any power/torque down low but I wasn't convinced. Nontheless it overall feels better. Perhaps they actually handed me a really early version of this enhanced boost control stuff. I haven't had a chance to try that yet on my car.

I think no one criticizes BM3 because despite its shortcomings it is still one of the best options out there and seems to be continuously improving at least.

That or our cars a borked lol.
I guess BM3 is one of the best options for N20 but it won't stop me from criticizing it Can't wait for the summer so I can test it again.

By the way, I made an interesting finding of the transmission behavior while I was on Stage 1. It kept high gear very eagerly when trying to accelerate normally with gas pedal. But if I use cruise control to do the acceleration it down shifted 1-2 gears just like it does with the stock tune. But the acceleration was about the same as stock so it doesn't just slam the pedal to the medal so to say.

So something is different in transmission shifting strategy depending which method is used for acceleration. If the same shifting strategy could be implemented for gas pedal, the added low end torque would not be a problem since it would down shift away from the problem area.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #24
MilanF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobluna View Post
You might be right because I was also changing nothing. Anyway, how it looks for you? Does it also control boost and throttle angle constantly like in my log?
If you mean the difference between Accel. Pedal and Throttle Angle, than yes

here's my stock log
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:40 AM   #25
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanF30 View Post
If you mean the difference between Accel. Pedal and Throttle Angle, than yes

here's my stock log
Thanks for the stock log. Your throttle angle seems to limit boost as well but at least it does so in a clean way. I mean it rises steadily with RPMs. For me it fluctuates heavily and the same fluctuation can be seen in actual boost. Please see the screenshot I took from my log.

I wonder if this actually is the key difference between stock and S1 tuned? I mean the stock tune limits boost in lower RPM range by keeping throttle little bit closed but S1 tune opens throttle immediately.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:05 AM   #26
MilanF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Yes, i also think it is the key difference between stock and S1. And 320i has much less boost stock compared to 328i and I guess that's why you see so much fluctuations. ECU is simply trying to meet requested boost, that's why it closes the throttle. Look at the Wastegate Duty Cycle on the same graph also
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:12 AM   #27
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanF30 View Post
Yes, i also think it is the key difference between stock and S1. And 320i has much less boost stock compared to 328i and I guess that's why you see so much fluctuations. ECU is simply trying to meet requested boost, that's why it closes the throttle. Look at the Wastegate Duty Cycle on the same graph also
Yep, I guess ECU is trying to keep the boost at target level. It just looks very odd in log. Maybe I should ask PTF to add this throttle angle behavior for my S1 tune if the latest version still rumbles in lower RPM range We'll see when spring comes.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #28
Davidbmwdd
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Hi is there any update on this, was the issue resolved with the new map?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #29
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT (F34/N20)

Yea I noticed I have tons of throttle fluctuation too. I wonder if its PID controlled and the PID just is not tuned for the type of things the BM3 tunes are asking for.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #30
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedturbo View Post
really interested in bootmod3 stage 1, anyone running it stock?

Thanks
I'm currently running it stock on stage 1, my Muffler + Res delete dosen't count towards any mods lol..I previously had JB+ tuner and while that wasn't bad for the low cost, this BM3 is alot smoother, I will go back in once i get my Pi3 wifi agent set-up and see if they have the TCU flash. My sport settings still see the rev hanging issue.