F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
GetBMWParts

01-14-2020, 05:32 AM   #507
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
What is the verdict about service history? Can it be updated with the box installed?
I didn't want to risk it, so removed the unit in the end.

I have not had any reply about it from the "technical department" either since the initial reply the other day where I explained the issue and sent a picture from ISTA of the fault codes created.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2020, 01:20 PM   #508
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobtc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
I am able to code the HU (HU_Entrynav) with the mmi installed; but I have seen posts from others that are not able to do so.

However the mmi does trigger an HU error code on my scan tool...something about an invalid image, etc. The dealer will be able to see the error code if they check.
Im guessing this is due to you not having NBT? I'm going to install it in the weekend and I will check with Bimmercode afterwards.
I assumed that my HU is NBT but I am not sure...it's a 2016 320I.

Anyway, it sounds like the error code will happen across all headunits when the mmi is turned on.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #509
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

When bringing up Google Assistant in Android Auto, (either via the steering wheel button, the mic icon, or long pressing the ID knob), there is an unusually long delay of about 2-3 seconds from the time I hear the beep to when the assistant actually hears the command.

Is everyone experiencing this?
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 03:43 AM   #510
drejcof
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Does MirrorLink work with the Andream MMI box and how?
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 03:48 AM   #511
jacobtc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20LCI

Does anyone have a setup guide to get Wireless Android Auto to work?
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #512
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone have a setup guide to get Wireless Android Auto to work?
I haven't seen any guides but you will need to enable developer mode in the Android Auto app.

Once you do that a new setting will appear enabling wireless projection. All that you need to do then is connect to the mmi's wifi and bluetooth. A popup should then appear on your Idrive screen allowing you to launch AA wirelessly.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #513
jacobtc
Private
Rep

Quote:
I haven't seen any guides but you will need to enable developer mode in the Android Auto app.

Once you do that a new setting will appear enabling wireless projection. All that you need to do then is connect to the mmi's wifi and bluetooth. A popup should then appear on your Idrive screen allowing you to launch AA wirelessly.
I've heard that people use the idrive system for calls, so if I connect with Bluetooth to the mmi, won't that make that option impossible?
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #514
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've heard that people use the idrive system for calls, so if I connect with Bluetooth to the mmi, won't that make that option impossible?
No. Even though your phone will be connected to both bt connections, the bmw telephone bt connection will override the mmi bt connection for phone calls.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 12:42 AM   #515
jacobtc
Private
Rep

Quote:
No. Even though your phone will be connected to both bt connections, the bmw telephone bt connection will override the mmi bt connection for phone calls.
Awesome, I will get the box installed in the weekend.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #516
JLBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 428ix GC

Haven't pulled the trigger yet on buying the Andream (besides Andream US supplier won't be shipping during "Spring Festival of 2020" until 2/3). Have 2 questions:

1) Can someone confirm if resetting any of the service indicator lights will work with the Andream connected. I'm aware coding (ie Bimmercode) won't work.
2) Can you still hear the OEM Radio (XM, FM, AM, etc.) or Multimedia while using AA or screen mirrorring?
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 12:38 AM   #517
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBMW View Post
1) Can someone confirm if resetting any of the service indicator lights will work with the Andream connected. I'm aware coding (ie Bimmercode) won't work.
Bimmercode works for me after the latest update v2.0.2.6.gpe.b incl. the MCU update, at least it works when in the iDrive menu.

Now if only AA was pixel perfect...
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 02:13 AM   #518
Ha11z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xD GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBMW View Post
2) Can you still hear the OEM Radio (XM, FM, AM, etc.) or Multimedia while using AA or screen mirrorring?
The sound from the Andream is in the Aux source. You can either listen to the Aux input (Andream) or any of the BMW sources e.g.FM radio, but not both at the same time. In the same way you can't listen to FM & USB at the same time now. You can easily switch between sources using the Mode button on the Steering wheel and the screen can be on idrive or CarPlay/AA. I usually listen to OEM Radio + CarPlay maps on the screen but don't get any spoken directions or notifications from CarPlay.
Appreciate 2
JLBMW21.50
      01-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #519
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
So I removed my Carplay device yesterday as the car had to go into BMW today for a service and I didn't want any issue's with fault codes that wouldn't clear, or anything to stop them from being able to update the service history on the i-drive.

Removing it was simple enough (although refitting the quadlock connector was a pain).

Anyway these arrived today, ready for when I refit the Carplay box.

RHD cars have the USB connector on the left of the trim panel, and LHD cars have it on the right for some reason.

I also ordered both the adaptors that I linked to in a previous post:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-A...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12cm-Shor...53.m2749.l2649

The double ended adaptor arrived first, so I test fitted it.

I trimmed a little of the rubber with a blade, so that it would sit in far enough.

It pushes up tight, to where I have trimmed too, which should keep it in place just as it is, but I might add a dab of glue before I fit it to the car (I will be testing the other adaptor cable first, when it arrives).

Well after all that, it was a complete waste of time (and money) for me, as the NBT unit is too big and stops you getting the usb trim into place (even with the usb removed it won't fit).
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #520
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Quote:
So I removed my Carplay device yesterday as the car had to go into BMW today for a service and I didn't want any issue's with fault codes that wouldn't clear, or anything to stop them from being able to update the service history on the i-drive.

Removing it was simple enough (although refitting the quadlock connector was a pain).

Anyway these arrived today, ready for when I refit the Carplay box.

RHD cars have the USB connector on the left of the trim panel, and LHD cars have it on the right for some reason.

I also ordered both the adaptors that I linked to in a previous post:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-A...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12cm-Shor...53.m2749.l2649

The double ended adaptor arrived first, so I test fitted it.

I trimmed a little of the rubber with a blade, so that it would sit in far enough.

It pushes up tight, to where I have trimmed too, which should keep it in place just as it is, but I might add a dab of glue before I fit it to the car (I will be testing the other adaptor cable first, when it arrives).

Well after all that, it was a complete waste of time (and money) for me, as the NBT unit is too big and stops you getting the usb trim into place (even with the usb removed it won't fit).
How's that mate?!? I got mine to fit?

I didn't bother buying an extension I just trimmed the plug that came with the unit.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #521
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymcg View Post

I didn't bother buying an extension I just trimmed the plug that came with the unit.
Any pics ?

My NBT unit fills the whole area, so I just couldn't get the trim to get anywhere near close enough to fit.

Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #522
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Any pics ?

My NBT unit fills the whole area, so I just couldn't get the trim to get anywhere near close enough to fit.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/NG3FFFQG/IMG-1914.jpg[/img]
No pics, but I have my Andream box below the I Drive unit so not sure why yours is so big!

Not normally something you would complain about!
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #523
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No pics, but I have my Andream box below the I Drive unit so not sure why yours is so big!

Yeh bigger isn't always better
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #524
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeh bigger isn't always better
What model is your ID?
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #525
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

It's NBT vs NBT EVO (ID4).
While the software is basically the same, the EVO headunit is a bit smaller. That's why the MMI fits under the EVO (see here).
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #526
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

As above, it's ID4 NBT (non Evo).
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #527
Estoril235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

I have some questions about how the unit is supposed to operate. I got it about a week ago and it came with the v2.0.2.6.gpe.b software. The mmi always loads and shows on the screen even when I turn the car off on the Idrive screen. Is this normal, can it be changed to remember what was showing when the car was turned off?

Others have said to use bmw Bluetooth instead of CarPlay, but CarPlay always takes the call if the mmi is showing on the screen. The only way I can get bmw Bluetooth to work is by accepting the CarPlay call and manually changing back to bmw Bluetooth on my phone or switch to Idrive before answering. This YouTube video mentions an iPhone setting at 4:25 but it doesn’t work for me.

How do I prioritize bmw Bluetooth or turn off CarPlay calling?

Last issue is that I don’t get any sound when using the phone through CarPlay. The mic works because the other person can hear me but I can’t hear them. When I manually switch to bmw Bluetooth using my phone routing options on the lock screen the call works fine. Is this a setting or a faulty unit?
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #528
Ha11z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xD GT

Estoril235
Same happens for me but I've only noticed it on receiving calls. I haven't had much time to play with settings yet but I think pressing menu to switch to idrive before answering worked for me too.
Appreciate 1