F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 retrofit IHKA to IHKA3 possible?
proTUNING Freaks

12-23-2019, 03:08 AM   #133
MD20
Rep
Drives: Alpina B5 & BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_bml View Post
What is you car production date? And what is the actual I-Level integration? You need newest FEM-BODY and FEM-GW software, so it can recognize IHKA3. Also, if it still can not be seen, you will also may need some SVT manipulation.
Let me know first what I asked.
Hi Larry, I have one of the actual i Level int. already because I retrofitted LCI LED headlights to my car. FEM Body and GW has been updated. I think my car needs SVT Manipulations... Could you maybe help me out through team viewer? That would be the best solution. Thanks in advance

EDIT: Forgot to tell, my cars prod. date is 07/2013
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #134
frank.lecock@telenet.be
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i G21 Msport

Quote:
Hello again, last night I was trying the same thing, IHKA 3 from 06.2016 and new panel white/amber 01.2017, moved CAN wires from FEM 7B 33,34 to FEM 10 B 10,11. Climate starts, air flow can be moved, ventilation speed also, heat seating also, only rear window heating blinking, no AC and always white.

Some strange thing, even if IHKA 3 received start messages from FEM on CAN2, they can communicate between them (FEM and IHKA 3) otherwise nothing will work, IHKA 3 can not be seen by Esys so can not be codded.

I was thinking if someone has a bench tester with an old FEM and a new IHKA 3, if it can do a CAN converter from CAN2 to CAN and connect IHKA 3 via CAN converter to old CAN connections for IHKA, if then ESYS will see IHKA 3 and if it can be coded.

I want to try this, but I don't have an FEM and I don;t want to spend another few hundred euros for testing.

Maybe someone who understands how CAN messages are working, better then me, can tell me if it is possible to work via CAN converter from CAN to CAN2 or not.

If it is working then we can retrofit IHKA3 to pre LCI F30, otherwise .... not
Hi Larry,
I retrofitted de LCI dual zone panel to my Pre LCI with single zone panel, someone coded my car but he said it is not possible to make changing the directions of the airflow work. All the other things works (AC - temperature- fanspeed - ) Can you tell me what i can do - changing some wires ? Thanks in advance

Last edited by frank.lecock@telenet.be; 01-12-2020 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #135
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

I don’t know how it will work on single zone, I changed also climate box, from single zone to double zone. That came with double number of flaps motors and new wires on the box. On sinle zone, maybe you can change airflow direction by only one side, right or left.
Sorry but I can’t help you more.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #136
frank.lecock@telenet.be
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i G21 Msport

Quote:
I don’t know how it will work on single zone, I changed also climate box, from single zone to double zone. That came with double number of flaps motors and new wires on the box. On sinle zone, maybe you can change airflow direction by only one side, right or left.
Sorry but I can’t help you more.
Hi Larry, Thanks for your answer. The temperature setting is also by the right side, so that is possible what you say and perfect for me, but i can't find the exact codings. In attachment a few codings from an other forum tread and he said that it only works on "auto", not on normal settings. I just can not try it because i can not code my car. Grtz
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #137
MD20
Rep

Has anyone figured out on why the climate control panel can't be turned off after the retrofit? I can go to the lowest fan speed but normaly after pressing it one more time it should turn off. Mine stays on and I can't turn it off. I tried many things but gave up for now. My AC Light is not blinking and it never did actually. My AC gas is empty right now anyways, I still need to refill it as I retrofitted a entire new Air Box too, so I can upgrade from 1 zone to 2 zone climate.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #138
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD20 View Post
Has anyone figured out on why the climate control panel can't be turned off after the retrofit? I can go to the lowest fan speed but normaly after pressing it one more time it should turn off. Mine stays on and I can't turn it off. I tried many things but gave up for now. My AC Light is not blinking and it never did actually. My AC gas is empty right now anyways, I still need to refill it as I retrofitted a entire new Air Box too, so I can upgrade from 1 zone to 2 zone climate.

Thanks in advance
That's normal as the system needs to determine how much gas is in the system in order to know whether it can engage the compressor or not. It should resolve itself automatically after a little while.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #139
MD20
Rep

Okey thanks will try that soon
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:48 PM   #140
Kaganser
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Follow the instructions

4) change car build date (Zeitkriterium) up to at least a 2015 Model Year (07/14) in VO.

5) update car to latest istep level

6) Performed a "TAL-Calculating" and then a "TAL-Processing" to update the IHKA3 BTLD, SWFL and CAFD files.

7) Run Rheingold to clear all warnings and errors before starting your vehicle.

8) Start vehicle and run it until the A/C LED stops blinking.
So just to understand with clarity - I need to physically swap the IHKA module with an IHKA, and then perform the coding described above so that the car recognizes the new module? Further, is it true that beyond this, there is no need to do any re-pinning. If not, can you explain in detail what pins must change in order for this to be recognized by E-SYS? The instructions for coding seems self explanatory, but I’m missing the physical labor that needs to be done to get to this point. Thanks for you insight!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #141
khad
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2012

Hello gentlemen, how are you doing?

Been trying to retrofit the IHKA3 to 2012 BMW 328i as well but can't seem to code the IHKA module.

So I have changed the wiring from CAN to KCAN2, changed the build date to 02/2015 and updated the istep level to 2019.

But it seems that esys nor ista won't recognize the module still. Attached the diagram tree from ISTA showing the IHKA module on red.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
Kevin
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 05:55 AM   #142
Onthepayload
Rep
Drives: F20 BMW

Anyone from around the EU or maybe Germany who can do the coding for me to make it more or less plug & play? Could also be done in my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 05:55 AM   #143
Robi Comino
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Hi all,

I have IHKA 3 and even Farbumschlag is already aktiv

Can somebody explain me what is wrong with my car and why the backlight is not orange?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #144
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi Comino View Post
Hi all,

I have IHKA 3 and even Farbumschlag is already aktiv

Can somebody explain me what is wrong with my car and why the backlight is not orange?

Thank you
Have you ever seen this at night or in the dark?
Because only then it will be orange.
During the daylight it is white.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #145
Robi Comino
Rep

Oh thank you,

I thought I could code it to have it orange also during the day
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #146
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Oh thank you,

I thought I could code it to have it orange also during the day
What happens if you set the Farbumschlag to nicht_aktiv?
In theory, this should prevent the color change and always stay orange.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #147
Robi Comino
Rep

No, then it's always white.......
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #148
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
No, then it's always white.......
Ah interesting, i didn't know.
I think then the only solution is to install a climate panel from 2014 or earlier.

Or i just found the value "display_farbumschlag_day_ni_chov" which is set to nicht_aktiv for my car.
Maybe if you set this to aktiv it will work.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #149
Robi Comino
Rep

This iI tried yesterday and I did not see any difference.......Mistery
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #150
Enel
Rep
Drives: 330i Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
So if I am reading through all this correctly, to recap, steps are:

1) Install IHKA3 Controller Unit
Known to work for mod:

2) Install LCI Screen Display unit

3) move wire from pins on FEM A173*7B to pins on FEM A173*10B which is either not connected to any wires or connected to HU_NBT Professional with Navigation, if you have that option.

4) change car build date (Zeitkriterium) up to at least a 2015 Model Year (07/14) in VO.

5) update car to latest istep level

6) Performed a "TAL-Calculating" and then a "TAL-Processing" to update the IHKA3 BTLD, SWFL and CAFD files.

7) Run Rheingold to clear all warnings and errors before starting your vehicle.

8) Start vehicle and run it until the A/C LED stops blinking.

Did I miss any steps?

It took many days for me but eventually i have done this retrofit with luck. Physical labor was easy. The challange for me was 6th step. Somebody should explain dummies like me how to update BTLD, SWFL and CAFD files in a basic way. How do you change that values? Some part of values are written on the control panel but where is the rest? I still don't know how to find them. I have 2-3 friends waiting for me to do this same retrofit to their cars but i have no confidence. Any gentlemen to help me?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #151
$AV
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubu88 View Post
Maybe not 100% ontopic but I have an issue with my IHKA3:

Car is from 03/14 but IHKA3 was already there. So I retrofitted LCI HVAC and everything was working properly. I tested all functions / buttons for 2 mins and then turned the panel off.
Afterwards I coded IHKA3 with „Fatbumschlag“ to get the color change from white to amber. After coding the panel turned on, everything is still working but I cant switch it off anymore. I can go to lowest ventilation setting and if I keep pressing the lower / off button further nothing happens.

Anybody has an idea what went wrong? Coding was done with e-sys, VCM readout first and the only value changed was „Farbumschlag“ before FDL coding it
Hi was it all plug and play or did you have to do additional wiring? I also have an 3/14 F30 330D but the lci climate unit powered up but nothing worked properly on it I don't suppose you have the part number of the lci climate unit do you?thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 09:00 AM   #152
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

welp, going to give this another shot tomorrow evening.

i tried about 3 or 4 months ago but no dice, the module did not pop up in esys. at the time it was quite a while (2+ years) since i played with esys so i didn't bother trying too hard.

i just finished flashing many of my modules from a 2015 istep to a 2022.03 istep... everything has been updated, so now i'm officially on a 2022 istep.

so looks like i should just be able to wire the ihka3 in, use an fa with a late 2015 production date and the module should show up in the module list in esys. at that point see if it needs to be flashed or not (eg: newer firmware available?), if it does just tal upgrade it... and of course push a cafd to it.

if it doesn't show up in esys, a video on youtube shows him vo coding fem_body with the production date set to late 2015... maybe this flips on the kcan2 interface or something. we'll see...

will report my progress here.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #153
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

wow, that was a lot more difficult than i expected.

so, preface:

a) my wiring is 100% correct, verified multiple times - make sure, ihka3 won't show up in esys if its not wired to kcan2 properly
b) my car is on a very very recent istep, 2022.03 - make sure you are at a fairly recent istep... people say late 2015 is sufficient but who knows

so according to the above ihka3 should just 'appear' in read ecu... right...

nope.

here is what i was able to do to have it show up:

a) backup my fem_body fdl... if you don't have any changes in fem_body you can skip this... i have tons of changes as well as retrofit lci led fronts so...

b) change my production date to 0716

c) vo code fem_body

d) restart esys

e) ihka3 shows up

f) inject cafd, vo code ihka3

g) change my production date back to my original

h) vo code fem_body

i) restart esys

j) restore my cafd

result:

fa + fem_body back to original state, ihka3 factory coded and showing up in esys.

warning : do all the above at your own risk... i strongly recommend multiple backups of your fa as well as "read svt" and "read ecu"...

enjoy!

edit : after all of this in hindsight I should have tried to vo code a random module (eg idrive controller) and see if that makes it show up. I think when you vo code a module esys regenerates the vcm and msm even if the check boxes in options are unchecked. this is judging strictly by the log that pops up when u vo code a module. it writes the vcm even if boxes are unchecked in options.

Last edited by anom3; 09-25-2022 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 02:43 PM   #154
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30,G30

You could write svt manual and vo code IHKA3. One more posibility.