F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Misfire problem - Dealer says new engine?
Studio RSR

11-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #45
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
If i remember correctly some guy took in his heavily modded B58 with JB4, water-meth, etc, etc and they blamed all those parts for the failure.... they come to find out the injector failed after further investigation which caused the cylinder to fail. I mean i don't think water-meth would harm the engine if anything it helps it in every way possible... help keep the intake valves clean, keep the IAT low, good octane bump, and of course the M4 GTS has water injection

I just don't understand how a intake can cause the engine to fail and misfire lmao.
That's pretty much all I'm saying. Regardless of what the dealer says, we all pretty much know it's not the intake. And when things are handled this way it's pretty shitty. Because even if down the road there was a recall on injectors or coilpacks or anything else that could have caused this issue, OP won't get reimbursed for the cost. Because the dealer stopped investigating based on an intake filter.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #46
StockLOL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i MPPSK

OP any update on this?
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      11-14-2018, 12:21 AM   #47
jaxon20i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockLOL View Post
OP any update on this?
I ended up taking the car to a different BMW dealership (with a stock intake) for a 2nd opinion, the car has been there for about a week and I have yet to hear back from them.

Not sure if I should get a Lemon attorney involved now or wait until they call me with some sort of response..

ig: @jaxondanel
Appreciate 2
eluded2959.00
Beek705.50
      11-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #48
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Sending positive vibes.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #49
46m3csl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

This is a load of shit, simple intake doesn't cause your engine to go boom. We are not speaking about nos here, hell you could drive your car without a filter and it wont go boom as fast as yours went boom with just a intake. Load of chicken shit from the dealer!!!
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00
      11-30-2018, 06:49 AM   #50
alex_f30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i alphine white

Had pretty much the same experience with my car two months earlier. Car started misfiring, changed out the spark plugs because I didn't want the dealer touching my car (previous bad experience). Took the car out for test drive and found no boost and pile of blue smoke coming out. Towed it in the next day. A week went by, the dealership started replacing my injectors, couple of seals and finally a water temp sensor. Didn't help. So they took out the head and sent it to a machine shop, didn't work. Finally they replaced the engine under warranty after the car been sitting there for two months. When I went to pick up the car, SA told me BMW just paid 26k in parts and it was in fact the injector fail that costed the engine.

I had awe mid pipe and mpe on the car along with a crazy wrap on it, and my SA told me that when BMW see something like that they get excited and looked at every inch of the car to try and find anything they can to void the warranty. I hope OP get away with it this time, but it's gonna be a tough fight
Appreciate 2
kern4174442.00
      11-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #51
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_f30 View Post
Had pretty much the same experience with my car two months earlier. Car started misfiring, changed out the spark plugs because I didn't want the dealer touching my car (previous bad experience). Took the car out for test drive and found no boost and pile of blue smoke coming out. Towed it in the next day. A week went by, the dealership started replacing my injectors, couple of seals and finally a water temp sensor. Didn't help. So they took out the head and sent it to a machine shop, didn't work. Finally they replaced the engine under warranty after the car been sitting there for two months. When I went to pick up the car, SA told me BMW just paid 26k in parts and it was in fact the injector fail that costed the engine.

I had awe mid pipe and mpe on the car along with a crazy wrap on it, and my SA told me that when BMW see something like that they get excited and looked at every inch of the car to try and find anything they can to void the warranty. I hope OP get away with it this time, but it's gonna be a tough fight
Lol @ getting excited to look for a way to void the warranty due to a wrap.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #52
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Lol @ getting excited to look for a way to void the warranty due to a wrap.
Your corrosion/rust warranty has been voided due to a wrap.
      12-02-2018, 03:44 AM   #53
VVlasy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i xDrive GC with MPPSK

Quote:

What was your mileage at that time? My 440i was built in march 2016, probably same as yours… I am now at 30k miles
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #54
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Adding to the discussion. Very interested in OP's outcome. Hope all will be well.

My 2017 BMW 440i GC was built in July 2016, one of the first 2017 440i GC leaving Dingolfing assembly line. So far, B58 has been exceptional.

I was following all comments about disappointment with dealer' initial response, "not going to cover the cost due to modifications". No wants to hear this especially considering the cost. The real question is however whether it's prudent to determine the risk / reward _before_ any important action.

I have seen multiple instances of both cases:

- Enthusiast who leased the vehicle, installed lots of modifications, and then fought warranty denial decisions. He lost and had to pay for repairs and give up the car anyway. Lesson learned: what modifications are prudent while leasing?

- Enthusiast who installed cosmetic modifications during the warranty period and then focused on serious performance modifications after warranty ended. The risk / reward was in his opinion more than acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #55
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Couple of things to consider:

1) Is the intake CARB approved? If not, that could be why the dealer and BMW are getting stroppy.

2) In SoCal, the OP cannot get proper premium, just the 91 Octane swill they call premium. If the intake install did cause a lean condition for some reason, the lower octane gas would not help.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 06:40 PM   #56
alex_f30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i alphine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVlasy View Post
Quote:

What was your mileage at that time? My 440i was built in march 2016, probably same as yours… I am now at 30k miles
Built day is around nov 2015. Miles during incident is around 37k miles
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #57
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

#1 The stock air filter allows more air to pass than the engine can ingest so there's no benefit to using a 1950's era tech air filter.

#2 With the low compression the dealer is essentially saying your air filter allowed dirt to score the cylinder wall or there was a problem with the install where the filter was not seated correctly and dirt was ingested that way.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
Skyhigh1870.50
      12-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #58
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Nah you're right. Because more expensive OEM high pressure fuel pumps, injectors, water pumps, coolant lines, charge pipes, etc. are much higher quality and never fail. Right?

"On a stock engine this is suicide." ....

Please stop drinking the dealership kool-aid. A lot of the companies that make aftermarket components are also OEM suppliers. It's ridiculous to think that a filter from a reputable company will blow your engine. The fact that you still think it lets larger debris through, much less debris large enough to damage your engine, shows how little you know. Meanwhile the factory engine configuration is shoveling oil vapor into the intake tract to be burned off. But it's just another part of the expensive OEM design, so it must be fine.
There's a car sitting in the dealership that suffered an engine failure because the oil filter media broke apart and was sucked into the crank case. If you used an OEM oil filter, BMW is going to blame it on the OEM. If you used a Genuine BMW oil filter, BMW has no one to blame but themselves and will be responsible for the engine damage.

While the OEM Mann oil filter is probably identical, the savings of the OEM part for the powertrain is so minuscule over the life of the car. The OEM filter is at most $3 less than the genuine BMW filter. It's not worth taking the risk on an OEM part for the powertrain.

Easy to reach engine sensors may be a different story if its failure won't usually result in catastrophic engine failure.

Catastrophic powertrain failures are the most expensive repairs. Why even bother taking a chance on an OEM part for no significant savings?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #59
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
#1 The stock air filter allows more air to pass than the engine can ingest so there's no benefit to using a 1950's era tech air filter.
If you have 2 straws, 1 thick and 1 thin, does the big one still flow more? Even though you can only drink as fast? At a certain point you are fighting the stock filter, which is pretty much always. It's a restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
There's a car sitting in the dealership that suffered an engine failure because the oil filter media broke apart and was sucked into the crank case. If you used an OEM oil filter, BMW is going to blame it on the OEM. If you used a Genuine BMW oil filter, BMW has no one to blame but themselves and will be responsible for the engine damage.

While the OEM Mann oil filter is probably identical, the savings of the OEM part for the powertrain is so minuscule over the life of the car. The OEM filter is at most $3 less than the genuine BMW filter. It's not worth taking the risk on an OEM part for the powertrain.

Easy to reach engine sensors may be a different story if its failure won't usually result in catastrophic engine failure.

Catastrophic powertrain failures are the most expensive repairs. Why even bother taking a chance on an OEM part for no significant savings?
OEM "or equivalent." If they are the same and have the same part number, they can't void your warranty for it. It's illegal.

And again, I'm not talking about equivalent parts. I'm talking about aftermarket. Because if that same car had aftermarket components like a catch can, they could void the warranty. And that is really messed up because 1. the owner is screwed on an issue they didn't cause and 2. BMW just ignores the issue rather than doing a proper investigation that could prevent it from happening again. I mean for all we know it could have happened a year ago to someone else but it got brushed under the rug because they had a downpipe. And now you go for extended periods of time letting marginal parts pass. So who's to say the same won't happen to a slew of cars just outside of the warranty period? Just because they didn't want to do one repair, now they risk leaving a bad taste in the mouth of countless other owners.

I haven't done any powertrain modifications to my car because I don't feel like dealing with the hassle in case something does happen. But I also recognize how stupid it is the way it currently works. Someone in another thread swapped OEM 19s on their car, and the dealer is voiding his warranty because the car came with 18s from the factory. I mean really?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #60
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
OEM "or equivalent." If they are the same and have the same part number, they can't void your warranty for it. It's illegal.

And again, I'm not talking about equivalent parts. I'm talking about aftermarket. Because if that same car had aftermarket components like a catch can, they could void the warranty. And that is really messed up because 1. the owner is screwed on an issue they didn't cause and 2. BMW just ignores the issue rather than doing a proper investigation that could prevent it from happening again. I mean for all we know it could have happened a year ago to someone else but it got brushed under the rug because they had a downpipe. And now you go for extended periods of time letting marginal parts pass. So who's to say the same won't happen to a slew of cars just outside of the warranty period? Just because they didn't want to do one repair, now they risk leaving a bad taste in the mouth of countless other owners.

I haven't done any powertrain modifications to my car because I don't feel like dealing with the hassle in case something does happen. But I also recognize how stupid it is the way it currently works. Someone in another thread swapped OEM 19s on their car, and the dealer is voiding his warranty because the car came with 18s from the factory. I mean really?
If the OEM equivalent part fails and takes out the engine with it, BMW is not responsible for the engine damage. The OEM supplier for that particular part is. If you used a genuine BMW part and that takes out the engine, BMW is responsible.

I stayed away from powertrain modifications since I purchased the 5 year 100k mile BMW Platinum extended warranty. It paid for itself. I was able to get an automatic transmission replacement, oil pan gasket replacement, and oil filter housing gasket replacement. If I had an aftermarket tune, warranty would not have covered the transmission replacement which is $7k in parts.

I purchased the warranty because I've been tracking the car extensively. I was likely to be one of the 1% of use cases where I would benefit more from the warranty than BMW.
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1870.50
      12-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #61
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
If the OEM equivalent part fails and takes out the engine with it, BMW is not responsible for the engine damage. The OEM supplier for that particular part is. If you used a genuine BMW part and that takes out the engine, BMW is responsible.

I stayed away from powertrain modifications since I purchased the 5 year 100k mile BMW Platinum extended warranty. It paid for itself. I was able to get an automatic transmission replacement, oil pan gasket replacement, and oil filter housing gasket replacement. If I had an aftermarket tune, warranty would not have covered the transmission replacement which is $7k in parts.

I purchased the warranty because I've been tracking the car extensively. I was likely to be one of the 1% of use cases where I would benefit more from the warranty than BMW.
Sorry to link wikipedia, but feel free to look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. There are a lot of resources but the story is the same. An OEM cannot require that you use an OEM product to maintain your warranty. That's why they have to provide alternative oils, coolants, etc. even though they sell their own mystery sauce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

Quote:
Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives
Also, you do realize that if they found out you tracked the car, they can void your warranty right? Especially if you swapped different tires/fluids on for the event. It's stuff like that I think is stupid.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #62
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to link wikipedia, but feel free to look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. There are a lot of resources but the story is the same. An OEM cannot require that you use an OEM product to maintain your warranty. That's why they have to provide alternative oils, coolants, etc. even though they sell their own mystery sauce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

Also, you do realize that if they found out you tracked the car, they can void your warranty right? Especially if you swapped different tires/fluids on for the event. It's stuff like that I think is stupid.
Right, but if that OEM (ie. Mann oil filter) product's failure causes additional damage such as catastrophic engine damage, it's not on BMW, it's on the OEM (such as Mann) to repair your engine. If you purchased a genuine BMW oil filter and it fails (media breaks apart) and causes catastrophic engine failure, it's on BMW.

As far as tracking the car, sure. But when you bring it into the dealership for a powertrain failure and the powertrain is stock (no tunes, etc.), it require a higher level of effort from BMW to determine that you tracked your car compared to just visually inspecting that you have a catless downpipe and programmatically determining that your ECU has been modified.
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1870.50
      12-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #63
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Right, but if that OEM (ie. Mann oil filter) product's failure causes additional damage such as catastrophic engine damage, it's not on BMW, it's on the OEM (such as Mann) to repair your engine. If you purchased a genuine BMW oil filter and it fails (media breaks apart) and causes catastrophic engine failure, it's on BMW.

As far as tracking the car, sure. But when you bring it into the dealership for a powertrain failure and the powertrain is stock (no tunes, etc.), it require a higher level of effort from BMW to determine that you tracked your car compared to just visually inspecting that you have a catless downpipe and programmatically determining that your ECU has been modified.
No man, that's just not right. If it is OEM spec and/or has a part number that matches, BMW must honor the warranty. This was put in place specifically because OEMs were taking parts like a Mann filter, repackaging it, and doubling the price. This is still the same practice because people will pay more for knowing it's OEM, but the law requires that they provide alternatives to make it more fair to the consumer. It might result in a chargeback upstream at the corporate level, but that is a battle settled long after your claim should be processed and paid out.

And I respect what you're saying about tracking the car, but that doesn't change the fact that If the OP swapped his OEM intake back on, they would have found the problem. Just because they can easily cop out of the repair, they do it. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because it's the easy thing to do. That shouldn't be the case. Apparently that's only my opinion and most every one else thinks these loopholes and circumstantial situations are all all reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #64
VVlasy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i xDrive GC with MPPSK

Quote:
Built day is around nov 2015. Miles during incident is around 37k miles
Thanks for getting back to me. I dropped my car off today at the dealer for transfer case replacement and also knocking and vibration on cold start that started yesterday. Still waiting for them to get back to me on What might be the problem. Once warmed all seemed fine, no knock, vibration. I am worried...
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #65
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No man, that's just not right. If it is OEM spec and/or has a part number that matches, BMW must honor the warranty. This was put in place specifically because OEMs were taking parts like a Mann filter, repackaging it, and doubling the price. This is still the same practice because people will pay more for knowing it's OEM, but the law requires that they provide alternatives to make it more fair to the consumer. It might result in a chargeback upstream at the corporate level, but that is a battle settled long after your claim should be processed and paid out.

And I respect what you're saying about tracking the car, but that doesn't change the fact that If the OP swapped his OEM intake back on, they would have found the problem. Just because they can easily cop out of the repair, they do it. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because it's the easy thing to do. That shouldn't be the case. Apparently that's only my opinion and most every one else thinks these loopholes and circumstantial situations are all all reasonable.
I think there's a mis-understanding.

Let's take this particular scenario. You buy a Mann (non-BMW but compatible) oil filter to be used in your BMW. You install that oil filter and the Mann oil filter's media breaks apart and gets sucked into the crank case. Your BMW engine is damaged because the Mann oil filter has failed.

Assume this is a case where it's clear that the non-BMW part was the root cause of the failure.

BMW is not responsible for that damage. It was not a BMW part that caused the failure. It was a Mann part that caused the engine failure. Therefore, you, as the consumer, would have to go to Mann to seek damages.

I think you're mis-understanding that case with one in which a BMW part fails and they deny your warranty because you used a Mann oil filter.

Is this clear now?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #66
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
I think there's a mis-understanding.

Let's take this particular scenario. You buy a Mann (non-BMW but compatible) oil filter to be used in your BMW. You install that oil filter and the Mann oil filter's media breaks apart and gets sucked into the crank case. Your BMW engine is damaged because the Mann oil filter has failed.

Assume this is a case where it's clear that the non-BMW part was the root cause of the failure.

BMW is not responsible for that damage. It was not a BMW part that caused the failure. It was a Mann part that caused the engine failure. Therefore, you, as the consumer, would have to go to Mann to seek damages.

I think you're mis-understanding that case with one in which a BMW part fails and they deny your warranty because you used a Mann oil filter.

Is this clear now?
I'm clear, we just disagree on the resolution.

Most parts are not made by BMW. It's all purchased by BMW and then rebranded. So I don't know the brand that makes the OEM filter, but like you said it might be Mann. Typically for something as high volume as a filter, it could be more than one supplier.

If the filter is found to be a Mann filter, then they (BMW) would seek damages from the supplier (Mann or otherwise). On the corporate end, the next step is BMW has to prove that the part failed due to a manufacturing defect as well. They'll go back and forth until they come to an agreement, or sometimes the cost is just split down the middle when no resolution is found. So again, none of it is just cut and dry as far as who owns the cost.

But at no point does the owner have to seek damages from specific parties when using OEM compatible parts. As a supplier for an OEM, you sign a contract to get the designs that are needed to make compatible parts and promise to support these kinds of warranty claims. That is what allows you to sell the parts under an OEM part number. That goes for every supplier that you see listed on sites like ECS, Rockauto, etc.
Appreciate 0