F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Misfuelling
Studio RSR

01-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
LuckyB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328D

Misfuelling

The wife and I went on vacation for the new year. My son dropped us off at the airport. A little later I get a call that the car went into limp mode and he's almost home. He made it home and had the car towed to the dealer. They are saying there is gas contamination and that I'm looking at an easy $10k for the fuel system flush and replace. They also said to get my insurance to try and cover it. I'm fairly certain that my son misfuelled since he's a teenager and mistakes happen, but after thinking about this my whole vacation a few things come to mind.
I've accidentally grabbed the wrong fuel handle and the car wouldn't let it enter. I've read up on this feature "Incorrect Fuelling Protection System" and it looks nearly impossible to misfuel. If this system has defaulted, isn't that something the warranty should cover? I know for sure that the dealership service director doesn't like me due to me calling out some legal issues they had before and trying to deny service that ultimately I won on, so I can't really look to him for the most clearest guidance.
What are some thoughts from you guys?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyB View Post
... but after thinking about this my whole vacation a few things come to mind.
I've accidentally grabbed the wrong fuel handle and the car wouldn't let it enter. I've read up on this feature "Incorrect Fuelling Protection System" and it looks nearly impossible to misfuel. If this system has defaulted, isn't that something the warranty should cover? I know for sure that the dealership service director doesn't like me due to me calling out some legal issues they had before and trying to deny service that ultimately I won on, so I can't really look to him for the most clearest guidance.
What are some thoughts from you guys?
It's possible that the station's fueling nozzles are not up to standard - however there are only state standards for these things and the regs are spottily enforced and followed... - and their insurance might cover this. However, you're going to have to convince people that the nozzle that your son used is improperly sized.

They can sometimes become worn, or even squished beneath a tire, and fit where they're not supposed to. In one case, a Safeway nozzle wouldn't even go into the outer part of my car's fuel port.

You need to do a thorough investigation:
1) get YOUR insurance co involved
2) Compare YOUR car's port to
a) the nozzle your son used (pump will show on receipt)
b) A spec unleaded nozzle (of course if it goes in you're toast.)
c) A spec diesel nozzle (both diesel and unleaded from the station stock or supplier)
3) Your son driving home after fault isn't the best, but try to tell the story well.
4) I've seen a few of these, a couple turned out bad, a couple turned out better.
5) Call BMW, too, about help on the parts and/or labor.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

This is one reason why I ALWAYS get a receipt when I fuel up.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
LuckyB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Turns out it was my wife that misfueled on the way to the airport while I was sleeping. Yay
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Turns out it was my wife that misfueled on the way to the airport while I was sleeping. Yay
That probably made for good conversation on the trip. All jokes aside sorry for the damage. Let us know what happens from here
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Did the receipt say diesel or unleaded?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
LuckyB
Enlisted Member
Rep

She admitted to using gas.
Does anyone actually know where a document is showing what is covered under the CPO? All I can find is what they don't cover.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Tell your wife that the cost of the repair is coming out of her shoe budget. That'll learn 'er!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
She admitted to using gas.
Does anyone actually know where a document is showing what is covered under the CPO? All I can find is what they don't cover.
Though we have very different warranties, etc. over here compared to yourselves, I cannot imagine any warranty, anywhere in the world, is going to cover 'customer stupidity'.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #10
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Any sign of actual damage?
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #11
LuckyB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not that I know of yet. It's at PSI Orlando. They said that they got it started but then diesel started pouring out of the tank. Apparently a hole ended up on the tank near the driveshaft. Now ordering a new tank and fuel pump for them to swap out. So far this shop has been nothing but a dream to work with. Ill be out about $2500 after this, but if the car runs like it should afterward, ill walk away happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #12
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

I managed to get away with a refuel error.
I realized during the filling it was a petrol pump, not diesel.
So I stopped and filled the rest of the tank with diesel.
I calculated, there was around 20% petrol in the tank.
The engine ran ‘ok’ and every 30 miles or so , I stopped and topped up with more diesel.
I don’t know if any damage did occur but i did more than 20k miles more without issue when I sold it.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0