F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I crashed: Streeing Rack, Tie rods, Knuckles, control arm gone. Need advice
proTUNING Freaks

11-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #89
adilakif
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Very unfortunate and frustrating for you OP. They’ll have to fix it correctly but seems like there’s some incompetence/lack of communication going on within that department. I would speak to the GM of the dealership if I were you. ‘Lettuce’ know and GL.
BMW says rotors are rusted and causing the noise and the shaking on the highway. Car doesn't feel safe. Can this really be caused by rusty rotors? If that's the case I will pickup the car as is.

They want insurance involved. Geico adjuster doesn't respond.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #90
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilakif View Post
BMW says rotors are rusted and causing the noise and the shaking on the highway. Car doesn't feel safe. Can this really be caused by rusty rotors? If that's the case I will pickup the car as is.

They want insurance involved. Geico adjuster doesn't respond.
Even if the rotors are rusted, that won't impact anything until you apply the brakes. Sounds like the BMW dealership is either doing a cop out or trying to get you spend more money there on a brake job.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #91
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Even if the rotors are rusted, that won't impact anything until you apply the brakes. Sounds like the BMW dealership is either doing a cop out or trying to get you spend more money there on a brake job.
Agreed
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

11-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #92
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
No

Agreed
Well.. BMW says it's the cause and all 4 rotors must be replaced. I feel like I am dealing with scammers. I don't know how we come to this point. We have been trying to reach my adjuster for 6 days now. I called Geico again. We are trying to reach to his supervisor now. BMW says Geico might approve the replacement, won't hurt to ask...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #93
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Quote:
Well.. BMW says it's the cause and all 4 rotors must be replaced. I feel like I am dealing with scammers. I don't know how we come to this point. We have been trying to reach my adjuster for 6 days now. I called Geico again. We are trying to reach to his supervisor now. BMW says Geico might approve the replacement, won't hurt to ask...
Call BMWNA and explain the work that was done and the problems you're having with the dealer. Rust on the rotors will not cause this, and after driving the car the rust would be gone anyway.
      11-20-2021, 11:47 PM   #94
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
What are the 2 noises remaining? One is the cricket, what is the 2nd one?

My guess is that warped rotors can cause vibration at highway speeds, but insurance probably won't pay as those are supposed to be maintenance items.

Is it possible to take car to a reputable mechani for post-repair inspection?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #95
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I would refuse that car altogether at this point...
Appreciate 2
Wires1644.00
cfm56d7b5876.00
      11-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #96
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
What are the 2 noises remaining? One is the cricket, what is the 2nd one?

My guess is that warped rotors can cause vibration at highway speeds, but insurance probably won't pay as those are supposed to be maintenance items.

Is it possible to take car to a reputable mechani for post-repair inspection?
Second noise is highway speed humming/shaking. Insurance refused. BMW says they may be able to convince them. I should get an update tomorrow. I could take the car to a reputable mechanic but I can't spend any more money I already spent a lot. And I am not sure if Geico would allow me to take it to another shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #97
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
I would refuse that car altogether at this point...
How can I refuse it when BMW says its the brakes making the noise.. they want me to replace all rotors.. They want me to pickup the car as is. I refused and they said I must change the rotors..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 11:31 AM   #98
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Second noise is highway speed humming/shaking. Insurance refused. BMW says they may be able to convince them. I should get an update tomorrow. I could take the car to a reputable mechanic but I can't spend any more money I already spent a lot. And I am not sure if Geico would allow me to take it to another shop.
How many miles are on the car?

How many miles are on the current set of pads + rotors?

How long have u owned the car, and during your ownership, have u noticed any highway speed humming/shaking and cricket sounds?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #99
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
How many miles are on the car?

How many miles are on the current set of pads + rotors?

How long have u owned the car, and during your ownership, have u noticed any highway speed humming/shaking and cricket sounds?

I bought the car 5 years ago at 16k miles, current miles is 42k.

According to the computer of the car, (I am not sure if the front or back brake sets but) one of the set had 2k miles left, other had 9k miles left on them. I didn't replace the brakes during my ownership. I don't know if/when previous owner replaced them.

I didn't notice any shake or noise before accident.

Mind you, the cricket noise doesn't happen under breaking, in fact sound goes away if I touch the brakes, comes back if I release the brakes.

Also, oil changes are done at BMW dealerships only. They claimed to inspect the brakes each oil change I had in the past and they never mentioned anything about them. Last oil change was at the same dealership in August.

Let's assume it's the rotors causing the issues as BMW says, would the problem (rust) go away after couple hundred miles of driving/braking?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #100
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Cricket sound going away seems to imply it is not warped rotors(which should cause more noise when brakes are used).

Were the rotors removed during repair? If so dealer should really doublecheck on the reinstallation(e.g. any missing anti-seize/brake grease?).

Quote:
I bought the car 5 years ago at 16k miles, current miles is 42k.

According to the computer of the car, (I am not sure if the front or back brake sets but) one of the set had 2k miles left, other had 9k miles left on them. I didn't replace the brakes during my ownership. I don't know if/when previous owner replaced them.

I didn't notice any shake or noise before accident.

Mind you, the cricket noise doesn't happen under breaking, in fact sound goes away if I touch the brakes, comes back if I release the brakes.

Also, oil changes are done at BMW dealerships only. They claimed to inspect the brakes each oil change I had in the past and they never mentioned anything about them. Last oil change was at the same dealership in August.

Let's assume it's the rotors causing the issues as BMW says, would the problem (rust) go away after couple hundred miles of driving/braking?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #101
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Cricket sound going away seems to imply it is not warped rotors(which should cause more noise when brakes are used).

Were the rotors removed during repair? If so dealer should really doublecheck on the reinstallation(e.g. any missing anti-seize/brake grease?).
I don't know if they removed the rotors to be honest. I don't how they changed all the suspension parts. I will text him tomorrow morning and ask.

I am planning to make them say via text messages that the issues with the car is happening because of the rusty rotors and not the suspension parts that were replaced. I just want some sort of legal protection if the wheels fall off. I just hope the noises will go away. They tried to give the car back to me in that condition twice already. I don't think I can make them fix the car anymore. I tried everything. And maybe they are right.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #102
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know if they removed the rotors to be honest. I don't how they changed all the suspension parts. I will text him tomorrow morning and ask.

I am planning to make them say via text messages that the issues with the car is happening because of the rusty rotors and not the suspension parts that were replaced. I just want some sort of legal protection if the wheels fall off. I just hope the noises will go away. They tried to give the car back to me in that condition twice already. I don't think I can make them fix the car anymore. I tried everything. And maybe they are right.
Obviously my response is not going to be well received but... If you can't get far with them or insurance, try to sell the car and move on. I know this is not what you want to hear but if you don't feel safe or happy with the car, you might as well move on.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #103
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:

I just picked up the car. He said front brakes are the issues. He waited all this time to tell me this.

Anyway. Computer says front brakes have 8k miles, rear has 1800 miles left in them. I will driver the car like this and hope to see problems go away. If this makes me uncomfortable I will take it to independent to see what's wrong.

Can a brake/rotor go bad and need replacement after a certain year even if it has 8k miles left on them?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #104
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I just picked up the car. He said front brakes are the issues. He waited all this time to tell me this.

Anyway. Computer says front brakes have 8k miles, rear has 1800 miles left in them. I will driver the car like this and hope to see problems go away. If this makes me uncomfortable I will take it to independent to see what's wrong.

Can a brake/rotor go bad and need replacement after a certain year even if it has 8k miles left on them?
42k miles for new brakes may be a bit early but can happen dependent on driving conditions/habits.

The definite criterion to replace BMW pads is 3mm or less. The BMW brake wear sensor has 2 contact points, the first one can trip ahead o 3mm, while the 2nd one does trip(make contact) at 3mm.

The definite criterion to replace BMW rotors is min. thickness stamped on the brake rotors, if above that min. thickness, u can throw on a new set of pads(and wear below min. thickness). The caveat here is that once below min. thickness the rotors can vibrate even pads are above 3mm. Also the thinner the rotor, the less mass to take up heat, so brake fluid can heat up quicker and become less effective.

Enjoy your renewed ride!
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #105
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
42k miles for new brakes may be a bit early but can happen dependent on driving conditions/habits.

The definite criterion to replace BMW pads is 3mm or less. The BMW brake wear sensor has 2 contact points, the first one can trip ahead o 3mm, while the 2nd one does trip(make contact) at 3mm.

The definite criterion to replace BMW rotors is min. thickness stamped on the brake rotors, if above that min. thickness, u can throw on a new set of pads(and wear below min. thickness). The caveat here is that once below min. thickness the rotors can vibrate even pads are above 3mm. Also the thinner the rotor, the less mass to take up heat, so brake fluid can heat up quicker and become less effective.

Enjoy your renewed ride!

My advisor quoted me $900 for front brakes pads and rotors.

I just looked up BMW VALUE SERVICE and Wayne BMW is offering the same job for $422.95. Am I missing something here?

https://www.paulmillerbmw.com/bmw-value-service.htm

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #106
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My advisor quoted me $900 for front brakes pads and rotors.

I just looked up BMW VALUE SERVICE and Wayne BMW is offering the same job for $422.95. Am I missing something here?
You have discovered the secrets of BMWNA's value service pricing.

E.g. our local dealer quotes $150-$200 everyday low price for oil change.

But when they sign up for value service pricing, BMWNA's corporate price (per zip code) can be $90-$100.

At times BMWNA coupons can drop that price to $50-$60(out-the-door), which is cheaper than best on-line price for parts-only!

If you don't have the value service price on hand, my local dealer will charge its $150 and up.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #107
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Hate to say it, but this thread is exactly why I NEVER go to BMW dealers for anything other than warranty claims and recalls.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 06:24 AM   #108
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
It’s been a long and bumpy ride here OP. Go for the brake job value service and see if they can do a complimentary inspection for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 08:08 AM   #109
adilakif
Private
Rep

Hi again. Almost a year after this accident, I am at the dealership to change the brakes and they noticed my Thrust arm bushings are leaking (Lower control arms bushing). Video shows black color on both bushings. Can this be related to the accident I had? If so, can I get this done via insurance year after the accident?

Video:

Last edited by adilakif; 09-03-2022 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #110
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Hi again. Almost a year after this accident, I am at the dealership to change the brakes and they noticed my Thrust arm bushings are leaking (Lower control arms bushing). Video shows black color on both bushings. Can this be related to the accident I had? If so, can I get this done via insurance year after the accident?

Video:
A year later dude? No that won't fly.

Also stop taking this car to the dealer. Wtf are you doing? Find a decent independent mechanic who won't charge you absurd labor rates for easy jobs.