F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My first car! 2016 BMW 328i exhaust tips?
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-27-2019, 03:49 AM   #1
Guerreroneek
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

My first car! 2016 BMW 328i exhaust tips?

hello I just bought a brand new car. I'm new to BMW and want to put some mods on my new car! just got a 328i with 29k miles and its all-wheel drive. I just wanna know what exhaust to put it on or do i put only downpipes or only an axle back? I'm new to this so sorry. I just want something that sounds good and isn't too loud. The stock exhaust sucks. Thanks for the help!


also plan on buying a grill and rear spoiler for the 328i. let me know what else i should get! thanks guys!



edit: i hear people say do a muffler delete. will that do any good? i also hear people do the AWE exhaust but that cost a lot...

Last edited by Guerreroneek; 10-27-2019 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
CandyRedRC46's Avatar
238
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

The first question you need to ask yourself is, "does my state have annual emissions inspections?"

If you have emissions in your state, a downpipe might not be your best bet. If you don't have emissions, a catless down pipe is a great way to free up some sound and power (especially after tuning).

Now if you have emissions testing, an axle back will free up some sound.

Muffler deletes are trash by the way, don't do that. If you have an n26 with the secondary catalytic converter, and you are again in a nonemissions state, I would delete that.
Appreciate 2
rjd_F301799.00
      10-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
Guerreroneek
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46 View Post
The first question you need to ask yourself is, "does my state have annual emissions inspections?"

If you have emissions in your state, a downpipe might not be your best bet. If you don't have emissions, a catless down pipe is a great way to free up some sound and power (especially after tuning).

Now if you have emissions testing, an axle back will free up some sound.

Muffler deletes are trash by the way, don't do that. If you have an n26 with the secondary catalytic converter, and you are again in a nonemissions state, I would delete that.
omg i forgot about that. i live in missouri and i have no idea if they testing for my exhaust! im scared now to put an exhaust on. i dont plan on tuning so do you suggest doing a downpipe or rear axle back? I plan on just doing only one and keeping the rest stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
esoj37
Lieutenant
esoj37's Avatar
United_States
123
Rep
429
Posts

Drives: M2C 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New Orleans

iTrader: (11)

Don't do a muffler delete, it sounds like shit and it will drone your teeth out.

Any decent exhaust set up will cost you some money. I like the MPE on the N20/N26, but it is a bit quiet for a lot of people. Remus and AWE are popular choices as well.

Like CandyRedRC26 mentioned, if you have an N26 deleting that secondary catalytic converter is a good starting point.

Since you are xDrive, I would start with coilovers.
__________________
HS S55 F87
MG B58 F30 - Gone
MG N20 F30 - Gone
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 12:20 AM   #5
Guerreroneek
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoj37 View Post
Don't do a muffler delete, it sounds like shit and it will drone your teeth out.

Any decent exhaust set up will cost you some money. I like the MPE on the N20/N26, but it is a bit quiet for a lot of people. Remus and AWE are popular choices as well.

Like CandyRedRC26 mentioned, if you have an N26 deleting that secondary catalytic converter is a good starting point.

Since you are xDrive, I would start with coilovers.
people have told me in order to get an exhaust i need to get a tune... is that true? I was planning on just buy an exhaust and thats it. But the tune is suppose to make it where codes dont show up on my computer is that right? didnt know a tune is required
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:52 AM   #6
leeicedtea
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerreroneek View Post
people have told me in order to get an exhaust i need to get a tune... is that true? I was planning on just buy an exhaust and thats it. But the tune is suppose to make it where codes dont show up on my computer is that right? didnt know a tune is required
A tune is not at all required for an aftermarket exhaust system. A tune however MAY free up a little extra horsepower when paired with a lighter, more freeflowing aftermarket exhaust.
What you are thinking of is probably an aftermarket downpipe, that is when a tune would be necessary to rid of the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
rjd_F30's Avatar
United_States
1799
Rep
3,490
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Here are your options:

Downpipe: good for power, not great for sound unless paired with an axle-back. Emissions also has to be considered.

Axle-back: great for sound, no power increase, no emissions considerations.

Axle-Back + Downpipe: great for sound, noticeable increase in power, but emissions has to be considered.

When I mention an increase in power, that is assuming that you get a tune to accompany the downpipe. No increase in power will be had if you don't get a tune with the downpipe.
__________________
Instagram: rjd_f30 | Current: EBII 2013 335i 6MT RWD | Retired: Jet Black 2013 328i 8AT xDrive |
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2019, 04:08 AM   #8
Guerreroneek
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Here are your options:

Downpipe: good for power, not great for sound unless paired with an axle-back. Emissions also has to be considered.

Axle-back: great for sound, no power increase, no emissions considerations.

Axle-Back + Downpipe: great for sound, noticeable increase in power, but emissions has to be considered.

When I mention an increase in power, that is assuming that you get a tune to accompany the downpipe. No increase in power will be had if you don't get a tune with the downpipe.

Awesome do you know a good rear axle back for the 2016 328i? I only plan on getting a rear axle back because I donít want to get a tune. I donít want my car throwing a bunch of codes to my computer. Thanks for help
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:10 AM   #9
Guerreroneek
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Here are your options:

Downpipe: good for power, not great for sound unless paired with an axle-back. Emissions also has to be considered.

Axle-back: great for sound, no power increase, no emissions considerations.

Axle-Back + Downpipe: great for sound, noticeable increase in power, but emissions has to be considered.

When I mention an increase in power, that is assuming that you get a tune to accompany the downpipe. No increase in power will be had if you don't get a tune with the downpipe.


Do you know what is a good rear axle back for the 2016 328i?. I only want a rear axle back because I donít want a tune. I also donít want my car having a bunch of codes thrown to the computer. I just want a simple exhaust w no problems lol. Thanks for help p
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #10
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
CandyRedRC46's Avatar
238
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerreroneek View Post
Do you know what is a good rear axle back for the 2016 328i?. I only want a rear axle back because I donít want a tune. I also donít want my car having a bunch of codes thrown to the computer. I just want a simple exhaust w no problems lol. Thanks for help p
My wife has a full catless exhaust on her n20 328i. No tune. No codes thrown up to the computer. Just an o2 spacer on the upstream o2 sensor, its not that big of a deal. Eventually, I'll flash it with a bm3 tune, but its not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
rjd_F30's Avatar
United_States
1799
Rep
3,490
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerreroneek View Post
Do you know what is a good rear axle back for the 2016 328i?. I only want a rear axle back because I donít want a tune. I also donít want my car having a bunch of codes thrown to the computer. I just want a simple exhaust w no problems lol. Thanks for help p
Remus, AWE, MPE are all good and popular options.
__________________
Instagram: rjd_f30 | Current: EBII 2013 335i 6MT RWD | Retired: Jet Black 2013 328i 8AT xDrive |
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #12
andino
Captain
466
Rep
681
Posts

Drives: F31 328i xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: norcal

iTrader: (2)

Congrats on the new car. Before jumping right into mods, I would make sure your maintenance and things are up to date.

If you're only after sound and not more performance, an axleback muffler is prob all you need for some added sound. Anything on the market is a good choice for an axleback, just listen to a lot of videos and check some out in person if you can. Exhausts are all personal preference and you've been given some good popular options already.

If you're after performance, you'll want to spend a good bit of time reading up on the paths to take and what all supporting mods they'll require.
__________________
2016 328ix F31 - SOLD!
2006 997.1 C4S
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:13 AM   #13
Guerreroneek
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

what about a muffler delete? someone recommended a muffler should i just do that? its only 60 dollars or something compared to 500 for a rear exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #14
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
CandyRedRC46's Avatar
238
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerreroneek View Post
what about a muffler delete? someone recommended a muffler should i just do that? its only 60 dollars or something compared to 500 for a rear exhaust
Muffler deletes are ricer trash. Now if you would like to cut off your muffler and replace it with a high flow quality muffler like magnaflow etc.... I could get behind that...

Or you could just take the advice from this forum and figure out what your states annual inspection situation is....
(St. Louis, Missouri has testing)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
exhaust, exhaust 328i, f30

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST