F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > silvrbreez Glacier Silver Metallic F30 M Sport Journal
proTUNING Freaks

11-05-2020, 09:43 AM   #67
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I was rear-ended two weeks ago and I'm still waiting to get the car back from the body shop. Damage included rear bumper fascia, rear lower bumper trim, rear reflectors, rear bumper reinforcement, rear parking sensors, and rear muffler.

I'd consider taking this opportunity to upgrade a few pieces on the rear, but I ultimately decided to stick with the OEM M-Sport rear lower bumper trim and stock exhaust. The exhaust almost received an upgrade, but the out of pocket costs and scheduling with the insurance just didn't align.

11-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #68
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Bummer. That really stinks. Nice car I have the same color on a 2018 340 and really like the way it looks. I had a MY2002 330i in Titanium silver (very similar to the Glacial Metallic Silver) that looked great even 16 years after buying. So great color. Enjoyed going through this forum.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #69
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Got the car back today after almost two weeks. Well worth the wait to have it all done right. I can't wait to give it a good detail this weekend and get back to enjoying it again.
      11-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #70
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

So I found a couple of new scratches on the top of my trunk near the very back lip that is new. This no doubt happened when the car was with the body shop. Instead of going back to them and fighting over these few tiny scratches, I've elected to pull the trigger on an M-Performance style carbon fiber trunk spoiler from Extreme Power House.

https://x-ph.com/xph-spoiler-perform...-series-m3-m4/

They are running a 30% off Black Friday Sale this month (coupon code XPH30) and the deal was too good not to pass up. The price is one of the lowest I've found and they offer a full refund and easy return if it doesn't meet my expectations. I'll be sure to inspect it closely when it arrives and share pics on here showing the packaging, quality, and fitment before installing permanently to the car.
      11-10-2020, 07:29 AM   #71
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbreez View Post
So I found a couple of new scratches on the top of my trunk near the very back lip that is new. This no doubt happened when the car was with the body shop. Instead of going back to them and fighting over these few tiny scratches, I've elected to pull the trigger on an M-Performance style carbon fiber trunk spoiler from Extreme Power House.

They are running a 30% off Black Friday Sale this month (coupon code XPH30) and the deal was too good not to pass up. The price is one of the lowest I've found and they offer a full refund and easy return if it doesn't meet my expectations. I'll be sure to inspect it closely when it arrives and share pics on here showing the packaging, quality, and fitment before installing permanently to the car.

Please dm me with any questions

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #72
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

I have a question. On the bmw website for an oem spoiler it says it should be matched with a front lip. I am guessing that is pointed out due to changes in airflow and aerodynamics or at least the potential of changes. In real life is that an issue?

The reason I ask is that I have thought that a spoiler would add a nice look to my car. I have a nearly identical car to the one in this thread. I have a 2018 340 in glacial metallic silver. I have the shadow sport version. I like the accents and enjoy the car, but as a sport line, I was not sure about front lips or if I even need one. I have seen some nice spoilers on your website. I am looking for a low kick in gloss black to match the other gloss black accents.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 08:52 AM   #73
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

I don't believe they suggest matching it with a front lip for functionality as much as completing the set. I'm sure there are engineers well versed in aerodynamics that might want to try and make a case for turbulent around the body not being perfectly distributed without the use of both a splitter and spoiler, but I don't believe that using one with or without the other will cause you to lose control or anything. It's mostly aesthetic.
      11-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #74
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't believe they suggest matching it with a front lip for functionality as much as completing the set. I'm sure there are engineers well versed in aerodynamics that might want to try and make a case for turbulent around the body not being perfectly distributed without the use of both a splitter and spoiler, but I don't believe that using one with or without the other will cause you to lose control or anything. It's mostly aesthetic.
Thanks. I felt that way too, I just wasn't sure. I am not racing the car although highways down here in the south are long flat and fast. I just thought a low kick spoiler would make the car look better. Like you I like to add a few few small but subtle changes to make it my car.
Cheers,
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 08:19 AM   #75
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Happy Veterans Day from the Port of Beaumont...

e90Nate285.00
eff32fl1051.50
      11-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #76
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Happy Veterans Day from the Port of Beaumont...

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...11d42428_h.jpg[/img]
Happy Veterans Day too. I didn't realize that we are neighbors. I'm just next door in Louisiana. No navy in the north part of the state, but we have Barksdale Air Force base.
Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #77
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Happy Veterans Day too. I didn't realize that we are neighbors. I'm just next door in Louisiana. No navy in the north part of the state, but we have Barksdale Air Force base.
Cheers,
As a south Louisiana native myself, your screenname CajunBMW caught my attention awhile back.

I'm from NOLA originally, went to school at LaTech in Ruston, had a cousin stationed at Barksdale, and my sister lived in Haughton for a few years teaching at HHS. My wife and I moved to Beaumont in 2006 for our jobs at that time.
      11-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #78
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm at the Med School in Shreveport. I travel a lot to LSU-Baton Rouge and to LSUHSC in New Orleans and to Tulane for business. So I really like that part of the state. My kids play a lot of soccer so we also travel a lot for their games. Obviously sports and business travel is a bit less lately.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #79
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE: So I accidentally ordered the wrong spoiler. I clicked the dropdown for the F82/F32 option stead of the F80/F30 option. It's narrower and slightly more rounded to the back. I'm trying to work out a return right now.

On a positive note, the quality looked great. I think it would benefit from a nice polish and coat of wax or PPF, but all in all it looks like a really nice piece of carbon at this price point. If you're considering a carbon fiber spoiler at a price point that won't break the bank but you still want to keep the quality high, I definitely suggest giving the XHP pieces a close look.

12-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #80
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Well it ends up the XPH F30 spoiler is on backorder until around February. I opted to just get a full refund and hold off on the CF spoiler for the time being.

I'm putting the refund and some birthday wishes towards an upgraded FTP charge pipe, Turner stepped intercooler, and MHD flash tune. My plan is to install the charge pipe as a preventative maintenance measure and more peace of mind prior to flashing MHD Stage 1. The intercooler was added as a second thought after some discussion and recommendations from other members in the MHD group.

I was originally considering going full bolt-on (CP/DP/FMIC) all at once and flashing straight to MHD Stage 2+, but I opted to slowing the process down a bit to fully appreciate the gains along the way. When I get bored of Stage 1, I'll source a downpipe and whatever other components and enjoy the car even more all over again. Will also look into XHP transmission tune with that time comes.

Last edited by silvrbreez; 12-01-2020 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #81
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Did some data logging pulls this morning using MHD and their wireless ODBII adapter. It was nice to drive as things warmed up and setup the app on my phone to monitor things like boost, IAT, oil temp, and throttle position all at once via gauges in the app. I'm really going to enjoy digging into this data and understanding more about how the car works from the inside out and how it responds to the different performance mods and tunes.
      12-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #82
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

So the MHD app has been fun. I've been driving around a bit with the wireless adapter plugged in and the app tracking various parameters with gauges on my phone. It's been interesting to monitor Throttle Pedal vs. Throttle Position in the different settings (Comfort, Sport, Sport +) as well as seeing when the exhaust flap is open/closed and how the boost tracks in the various modes.

I received the Turner FMIC but I'm still waiting on the FTP charge pipe. It seems like many companies have been having delayed orders and receipt of products. Since I'm still waiting for that to ship, I took advantage of the delay and some Christmas gift cards I've already received and upgraded my order to also include the FTP boost pipe. Now when I get the FMIC installed, both the hot and cold side pipes will be upgraded at the same time.
      12-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #83
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Some how I get a lot of silver cars... but this is my favorite... ... found the color matching spoiler on Ebay (perfect color match)... same with the roof spoiler...

Name:  20201110_145105.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  327.5 KB

Name:  20201110_145138.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  299.0 KB

Last edited by FastF30; 12-18-2020 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 06:38 PM   #84
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Some how I get a lot of silver cars... but this is my favorite... ... found the color matching spoiler on Ebay (perfect color match)... same with the roof spoiler...

Attachment 2486075

Attachment 2486076
I have a similar car and bought the small m3 styled spoiler from CARiD and it was matched perfectly to my glacial metallic silver 340. I got it last week but haven't put it on yet because of the weather. But I hope if we get some warm and dry days to put it on soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #85
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

I'm a big fan of silver myself. Nice pick up on the color matching trunk and roof spoilers. The pairing looks really good.
      12-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #86
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE...

Still waiting on my FTP boost and charge pipes to arrive so that I can get the Turner FMIC installed.

I was getting the ill-famed "brake lamp/turning lamp malfunction". After inspecitng the bulbs and seeing they were fine, it ended up being the ground on the connector starting to show signs of flashing/heat damage. I quickly made the decision to swap over to LED bulbs and code the brake and turning lamps for LED using Bimmercode.
      12-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #87
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE...

I was surprised by a busted cooling reservoir vent hose when I arrived at the office this morning. There was smoke coming from under the hood. When I opened the hood, I saw fluid spewing from near the driver's side headlight area and I cut the engine off.

After some initial panic that included thoughts of a tow truck, dealership labor fees, and other general gloom, I decided to do a little research and see if I could find the part and steps to replace it myself. The part was easy to identify and various BMW parts websites showed it ranging in price from $30 to $40. Looking into this on YouTube and elsewhere, seems like a pretty common failure part. I called my local dealership and they, fortunately, had two in stock. I was able to pick one up along with some BMW coolant. After purchasing the part, I dropped by a local market for a gallon of distilled water and went on back to the office to perform my repair in the parking lot.

It was a simple swap taking no more than 3 minutes, and then I mixed the coolant and distilled water 50:50 to top off the coolant reservoir using a funnel I made from aluminum foil (it's all I could muster at the office). It seems like I had originally lost about 1/2 gallon of fluid.

When I got home from work, I continued reading about the common problem and decided it'd be best to bleed the cooling system using the steps outlined in various places on here and YouTube. I'm glad I did. I heard the gurgling and bubbling from the coolant reservoir and ended up having to add about another 1/4 gallon or so of coolant to get the right level. I bled the system once more and everything held fine.

Last edited by silvrbreez; 12-29-2020 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #88
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Few people at the office today means I get to park like the stereotypical BMW driver.