F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Track numbers - Magnetic
proTUNING Freaks

12-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
jonathanvictory
Hi!
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP, F15 X5e

Track numbers - Magnetic

Hi! Any forum sponsors or members, or suggested websites that make and sell magnetic race number signs/decals? SCCA and NASA approved as well. I found a few websites, but I prefer to support someone associated to the forums if possible first. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

There are many manufacturers of magnetic numbers out there, and I am not going to make a recommendation. One is probably as good as the next. I have been using them for about 2 years now, and find their convenience, and relative ease on your paint the way to go for me. I track my car 2 or 3 weekends per month year round so these are important considerations for me.

I just have one piece of advice for you. All manufacturers advertise that their magnetic numbers will adhere to your car at both high speeds, and in sloppy conditions. From personal experience, and many conversations with other users I can tell you with certainty that this is not so. You must tape these pads into place or you will soon lose one on track. It doesn't need to be an elaborate job. Use 3in. clear track tape (so they still look purty), and just put 4 pieces at 1,3,6,and 12 o'clock, and you will come home with them every time.
      12-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
jonathanvictory
Hi!
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP, F15 X5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
There are many manufacturers of magnetic numbers out there, and I am not going to make a recommendation. One is probably as good as the next. I have been using them for about 2 years now, and find their convenience, and relative ease on your paint the way to go for me. I track my car 2 or 3 weekends per month year round so these are important considerations for me.

I just have one piece of advice for you. All manufacturers advertise that their magnetic numbers will adhere to your car at both high speeds, and in sloppy conditions. From personal experience, and many conversations with other users I can tell you with certainty that this is not so. You must tape these pads into place or you will soon lose one on track. It doesn't need to be an elaborate job. Use 3in. clear track tape (so they still look purty), and just put 4 pieces at 1,3,6,and 12 o'clock, and you will come home with them every time.
Noted. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
If you are looking for a great place for numbers go here.

https://www.soloperformance.com/

Dave, the owner, is a great guy and his business sponsors our local SCCA Autocross chapter. He also happens to run a pretty mean Mustang in CAM-C which is co-driven by his daughter.

The magnetic numbers sold at the link above have never flown off my car and I've never seen any other numbers he's provided fall off cars much faster than mine. We've run in pouring rain, blazing heat, and cold windy conditions and I've never lost a letter or a number. He also sells numbers in some form of thin vinyl stick-on static material, but I've never seen anyone use them.

I can't speak for how they'd hold up under triple digit track speeds, but for autocross they are perfect. They hold on tight and are highly visible, something I appreciate as a corner captain call in penalties. I hate having the guess at some the numbers and classes on the cars which use tape.
      07-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #5
VicThrust
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

I used FireStormGraphix.com for my 428i. The magnets were thick but I do agree you need to tape the leading edge to prevent air from getting under them. My car is red so I used red electrical tape.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #6
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

+1 on soloperformance.com. Great products and service.

I have a set of their reusable vinyl numbers that Nate mentioned above. For me, they're preferable to the magnetic ones (I can put numbers on windows or doors).
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2022, 07:07 PM   #7
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
+1 on soloperformance.com. Great products and service.

I have a set of their reusable vinyl numbers that Nate mentioned above. For me, they're preferable to the magnetic ones (I can put numbers on windows or doors).
What do those look like? Does the adhesive seem like it will last?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2022, 08:10 PM   #8
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
What do those look like? Does the adhesive seem like it will last?
Here’s a pic of some of my numbers/letters. White with Carbon borders, 8” and 5”. And a copy of the very useful installation info.

With proper care (see instructions) I’d think they’ll surely last a season or two. It’s not a super sticky adhesive - on purpose. It’s KEY to always have spankin’ clean surfaces, and to reuse the backing papers.

They’re not just a thicker sticker vinyl - thicker yes, but it’s also a different stiffer/firmer plastic. Very high quality finish, printing, & die-cutting. Note there’s really no ‘stretch’ to these decals so they’re best on flat and single-curvature surfaces.

Also a tip: they’re bigger than I expected. My 8” numbers, even with the added 1/2” border are ~10” tall x 8” wide. Letters are closer, 6” tall (5” plus 1/2” borders).

Very happy with them so far.

Tom
Attached Images

Appreciate 2