F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Using different tire sizes.
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
bigraisinuts
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2019 Alpine White 440i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Using different tire sizes.

Hi guys. I'm driving a 2019 440i coupe M sport package. I have 19 inch rims and am running with 225/45 R19 tires on the front and 255/40 R19 tires on the back. Now the car actually calls for 225/40 R19 on the front and 255/35 R19 on the back. Could there be any side effects or damage by using the tires i'm using now? Besides extra noise, if that's a possibility? There seems to be no sign of rubbing or wear on anything. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Gr-Racing's Avatar
181
Rep
356
Posts

Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: GA

iTrader: (1)

your alright with the tires you got is only a small diff in side wall height.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
bigraisinuts
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2019 Alpine White 440i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Thank you for your reply. Would this small difference in side wall height be a cause for any extra noise? Or, if you know, can there be noise coming from the used run flats I am using?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
oonowindoo
First Lieutenant
53
Rep
300
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Ok so you have a 2019 and you got used runflats with wrong size? What i am missing here?

The noise you are hearing is probably from the runflat tires themselves. They are loud. There is a reason why everyone hates runflats.

Go get a nice set of summer tires in the correct size and the noise will go away and the car will feel MUCH MUCH better. The best mod you can do to your car is to ditch those runflats.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #5
bigraisinuts
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2019 Alpine White 440i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
Ok so you have a 2019 and you got used runflats with wrong size? What i am missing here?

The noise you are hearing is probably from the runflat tires themselves. They are loud. There is a reason why everyone hates runflats.

Go get a nice set of summer tires in the correct size and the noise will go away and the car will feel MUCH MUCH better. The best mod you can do to your car is to ditch those runflats.
Perhaps I should have given the whole story. The car came with 18 inch OEM BMW rims with brand new run flat tires on them. I wanted to upgrade to bigger rims, since they would look nicer, and bought the used 19 inch OEM BMW rims I am using now that came with the exact same size tires of the 18 inch rims that were originally on the vehicle (225/45 front and 255/40 back). It was after this upgrade that I started hearing noise. I started to research what size tires the 440i with 19 inch rims calls for and saw that the correct sizes are 225/40 for the front and 255/35 for the back instead of the 225/45 front and 255/40 back that I am currently using (Yes, I should have done my research beforehand, I am new to this). Since the tires are still decent (although used) I didn't want to buy new tires just yet, I wanted to use them up before buying new ones (Yes, I know it sounds cheap). That's what lead me to asking my original question. Are run flat tires really that noisy?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
Agent99
Covert
Agent99's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Yes, runflats can be noisy but there are non-runflats that can be noisy, too. You've probably noticed that the surface condition of the road you are diving on can contribute as well.
__________________
2001 530i/5 (E39), Topaz Blue/Stone Green/Black (sold) *very rare interior/exterior color combo*
2005 545i/SMG (E60), ED Order, Titanium Grey/Grey (lease over)
2014 335i/Auto (F30), Mineral Grey/Black (lease over)
2017 340i/Auto (F30), ED Order, Estoril Blue 2/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
nissanite
Private
nissanite's Avatar
22
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 340i M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I worked for Bridgestone as a High Performance marketing and education specialist for 11 years.

The only difference in a runflat tire is a banana shaped insert in the sidewall. Many people have jumped on the bandwagon. The original runflats were heavy and crude. Just like your iphone, this technology has improved over the years. Runflats play an important part in today's automotive technology.
the noise comes from the tread pattern and possibly irregular tread wear.

That said, the post was about an incorrect size. With today's cars including ABS and DSC the overall diameter is important. With a different ratio than OE front to back, the driver nannies may operate at different thresholds. With an additional 25ish mm in overall diameter the system may not work as the engineers designed. Example, the ABS may see the front brake lock early and release some brake pressure.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #8
Billfitz
Major General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
3310
Rep
7,936
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
The noise you are hearing is probably from the runflat tires themselves. They are loud. There is a reason why everyone hates runflats.
My RFT are no louder than the Michelin MXM I had on my last car, and by no means does everyone hate them.
OP, the rear tire is maybe a half inch larger in diameter than the front. That won't cause any problem in and of itself. However, by going with a smaller aspect ratio in the 19s to compensate for the change from 18s the tire sidewalls are shorter, and that can result in more noise and a harsher ride. That's always a trade off to consider when you increase wheel size. Rubber absorbs both noise and road shock, aluminum doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
oonowindoo
First Lieutenant
53
Rep
300
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

I dont know about MXM but if you are telling me that RFT are the same as summer tires, which i recommended. Then i guess one of us is imagining things.

I assume MXM is all season, i am not sure since i have not used all season tires for decades.

I have not met anyone who Loves runflat for their performance, quietness or durability.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
oonowindoo
First Lieutenant
53
Rep
300
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigraisinuts View Post
Perhaps I should have given the whole story. The car came with 18 inch OEM BMW rims with brand new run flat tires on them. I wanted to upgrade to bigger rims, since they would look nicer, and bought the used 19 inch OEM BMW rims I am using now that came with the exact same size tires of the 18 inch rims that were originally on the vehicle (225/45 front and 255/40 back). It was after this upgrade that I started hearing noise. I started to research what size tires the 440i with 19 inch rims calls for and saw that the correct sizes are 225/40 for the front and 255/35 for the back instead of the 225/45 front and 255/40 back that I am currently using (Yes, I should have done my research beforehand, I am new to this). Since the tires are still decent (although used) I didn't want to buy new tires just yet, I wanted to use them up before buying new ones (Yes, I know it sounds cheap). That's what lead me to asking my original question. Are run flat tires really that noisy?
the incorrect size will not cause noise. the car might or might not feel weird but they dont cause noise.

Do you know how many miles did the used tires have?
There is 1 way to know for sure, put your stock 18s back on and see if there is any noise and you will know if it is the used tires.

If you wanna use them up, that is fine. Just have to live with the noise until they are worn. I assume there is no vibration, just noisy?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
bigraisinuts
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2019 Alpine White 440i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
the incorrect size will not cause noise. the car might or might not feel weird but they dont cause noise.

Do you know how many miles did the used tires have?
There is 1 way to know for sure, put your stock 18s back on and see if there is any noise and you will know if it is the used tires.

If you wanna use them up, that is fine. Just have to live with the noise until they are worn. I assume there is no vibration, just noisy?
Unfortunately no, i'm not sure how many miles are on the used tired but they have like 60% of tread life left. And I don't have the 18s anymore so I can't experiment. No vibrations at all, just noise. They are Continental Conti Sport Contact tires and they were on a 2015 335i GT. Could the noise just be from the tires being unevenly worn?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
oonowindoo
First Lieutenant
53
Rep
300
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Yes unevenly worn tires will cause weird noises, especially at higher speed or when you start accelerating from dead stop.
I am not sure what kind of "noise" you are hearing, but if it is just noisy in general, then it is probably "normal" but if it is the "weird noise" only at certain speed, then it could be other things like balancing.

But you can inspect the worn pattern. If it is obvious enough for your eyes to see, then it is most likely the reason.

But based on my personal experience with Runflats, they are louder than summer tires, especially when they are somewhat worn.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
chiefneil
Major
United_States
698
Rep
1,384
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Iíd just use up the tires and switch to the correct size once theyíre done. Itís hard to comment on the noise since itís so subjective, but in general unless thereís something mechanically wrong at the wheel level (e.g. bad bearings) then tire noise can/should be ignored.

With the slightly taller height your speedo will read a touch high. BMW speedos already read 2-3 mph high anyway, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #14
Billfitz
Major General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
3310
Rep
7,936
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
I dont know about MXM but if you are telling me that RFT are the same as summer tires, which i recommended.
The OP made no mention of summer tires, so neither did I. BTW, RFT are available as summer, A/S and winters. My RFT are A/S, so were the Michelins I had on my last car, so I made an apples to apples comparison. Not having tried RFT versus non-RFT summers I can't make any comparison there.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #15
oonowindoo
First Lieutenant
53
Rep
300
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

OP's RFT are staggered, that means they are performance summer RFT (not A/S or Winter)... so Summer tires are the direct apple to apple comparison.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
440i, coupe, size, tire

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST