F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > FTP charge pipe...bungs not tapped correctly?
ARMA SPEED

10-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

FTP charge pipe...bungs not tapped correctly?

So I mostly installed my hodge-podge WMI kit this weekend. I bought it from a fellow forum member used. It has a Snow Performance pump and nozzles, AEM tank, LED and controller and an Aquamist flow solenoid. The kit itself works great. My issue is when it came to screwing the nozzle and NPT to 1/4" air line (for boost measurement) fitting into the CP. Neither would even get started threading. I ran out to Autozone and picked up an adapter kit which contained a 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT thread adapter. The 1/8 BSPT adapter would screw into the CP no problem, which would be ok for the boost line, but it was a no go for the nozzle. The adapter interferes with the spray pattern.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the FTP CP and what you did to fix it. I've gone ahead and ordered the 1/8" NPT snow performance tap from Summit Racing. My hesitation to tapping is having to remove the CP to tap the bung hole so that i can removed the tap shavings. I have two ideas to get around this. One, I can 3D print an adapter to my shop vac so I can attach a smaller diameter hose to it and stick it through the vacuum port used for the AT guys. Turn the vac on and get to tapping. Second idea is to zip tie a ballon to the end of my air compressor blow gun, stick the ballon through the vacuum port, inflate the ballon so it creates a seal and prevents the tap shavings from falling down to the bottom of the CP. I can disconnect the CP at the throttle body and stick the vacuum hose down and vacuum up the shavings. What do you guys think?

FWIW I wrote to FTP and here is their response.

hello sir
Thank you for supporting FTP
I am sorry to let your confuse
Because the bung for the snow performance was changed twice
It is now 1 / 8 PT ~ ~ so that you may have some difficulties
So they are not fully tapped.
I suggest you can use a tapping device (pictured a tap with tap handle)
Modify its depth ~ that you can install

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

maybe re-thread it? if its already installed and you don't want to bother swapping it back out and ordering another brand or having them do it.

edit: just saw the last of your post, I would do what they recommended and go get a tap/die kit and just re-thread it.
      10-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah that's what I'm going to and just make an adapter for my shop vac so I can suck shavings out from the AT vacuum hose port as I run the tap down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
maybe re-thread it? if its already installed and you don't want to bother swapping it back out and ordering another brand or having them do it.

edit: just saw the last of your post, I would do what they recommended and go get a tap/die kit and just re-thread it.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Yeah that's what I'm going to and just make an adapter for my shop vac so I can suck shavings out from the AT vacuum hose port as I run the tap down.

Quote:

or maybe one of those retractable pen magnets would work? i'm not sure where the break in the charge pipe is and the bunge, you can also try opening it at the joint and blowing the shavings out.
      10-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
or maybe one of those retractable pen magnets would work? i'm not sure where the break in the charge pipe is and the bunge, you can also try opening it at the joint and blowing the shavings out.
I dont think that would work with aluminum. Aluminum is pretty soft i cant imagine you would have many shavings when tapping it further
      10-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

i would just take the top half of the charge pipe off and tap it on a workbench
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah if I can't get a good angle with the tap handle this is what I will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is what I ended up doing. It was due an oil change so already had the front of the car up on jacks. Removing the underbelly pan to get to the bottom clamp, then removing the top part of the CP was much easier then I anticipated. One out I was able to get a good view of how far I needed to tap to get the nozzle deep enough in the bung as to not have spray interference with the CP wall. The kit works great. After working through some iOS 13 issues with hotspot I was able to grab a couple of logs. Not bad for 75,000 miles on the engine. You can definitely tell the WMI is spraying as the added fuel impact the STFT. IATs are good but I think the impact will be more evident in the summer months and 90-degree weather.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5da4f40fae729b1b6cd87c09
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5da5b55cae729b1b6cd87dca

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0